Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176941 times)

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #825 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
And so continues Morgan's tedious strife for acceptance. The outrageous monarchist canuck Grif only expresses disappointment at the young Morgan's attempts, and it seems he will never find the young man's efforts satisfactory. Yet Morgan's morally ignored heart beats with a completely non-sexual, no-homo desire to satisfy the monarchist. And so continues Morgan's journey, his mission, his strife, the great challenge that is life underneath the unforgiving metaphorical IV sun.

All men on this forum should aspire to be like me, Grif.
I'm back people...

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 04, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »

And Grif aspires to be like me, therefore everyone aspires to be me.
...scum.

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 04, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
Once again Morgan, you haven't conquered everything that is different than you yet. I am very disappointed.
I believe I have stated that I wasn't going to be conquering everything in sight because I want to see everything run its course in this playthrough.   :dry:

Canadian and gets a hard on for an obsolete form of government.

Nein danke, herr.  :P

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 04, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
Nein.

Nope.

Canadian and gets a hard on for an obsolete form of government.
ZING!
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »

In your dreams Kiwi-man. :P

I believe I have stated that I wasn't going to be conquering everything in sight because I want to see everything run its course in this playthrough.   :dry:

Morgan, Morgan. You're still under the illusion that you have meaningful opinions. :P
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 12, 2013, 02:49:20 AM »
Trying out this:

Barbarian camp right at my door as I start the game. :P
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 12, 2013, 07:02:51 AM »
Trying out this:

Barbarian camp right at my door as I start the game. :P

Ba-hahahaha!
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 17, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
Ba-hahahaha!
Dammit, won a culture victory out of the blue. x| Wasn't paying attenion to my tourism rate and the BAM, victory screen. :/
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 18, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Dammit, won a culture victory out of the blue. x| Wasn't paying attenion to my tourism rate and the BAM, victory screen. :/

How on earth were you able to win a sissy cultural victory so quickly?
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 18, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
How on earth were you able to win a sissy cultural victory so quickly?
Quickly?, it was a marathon game, it took a gently-carresston of turns. I just didn't pay attention to my tourism. :P

Got distracted with managing units on the map, forgot that Brazilians get double tourism while on a Golden Age (It evens says CARNIVAL! instead of golden age), and oops. Got a victory screen. I was aiming for diplomatic victory on the United Nations, which would have netted me an extra achievement as I was playing Brazilians.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:22:11 PM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 19, 2013, 05:16:31 AM »
Quickly?, it was a marthon game, it took a gently-carresston of turns. I just didn't pay attention to my tourism. :P

Got distracted with managing units on the map, forgot that Brazilians get double tourism while on a Golden Age (It evens says CARNIVAL! instead of golden age), and oops. Got a victory screen. I was aiming for diplomatic victory on the United Nations, which would have netted me an extra achievement as I was playing Brazilians.

Well that's just silly. Go beat some civilization into some barbarians as penance.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 19, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
Holy excrement, I literally can't do anything in Vic 2 right now. I can't start any wars because Britain intervenes every damn time as soon as I get one percent in war score, and I can't advance with the land and infrastructure I have. I have fallen into one of those loops where I have no money because I have no infrastructure because I have no money. And to top it off, Russia came along and decided to include me in their sphere of influence.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:13:59 AM by Tobbs »

Keep calm and move along.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 19, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »
Well that's just silly. Go beat some civilization into some barbarians as penance.
Well, way before I got the victory screen I had beaten Venice into oblivion, because the bastards were puppeteering my city-state allies. Declared war, swamped them in units and that was it.

Usually when I attack a civ I don't leave anyone alive except for the cities I capture instead of razing.
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 20, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Well, way before I got the victory screen I had beaten Venice into oblivion, because the bastards were puppeteering my city-state allies. Declared war, swamped them in units and that was it.

Usually when I attack a civ I don't leave anyone alive except for the cities I capture instead of razing.

Not good enough. :P
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 20, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »

Not good enough. :P
I could always nuke them to hell, but it leaves a lot of radiation behind IIRC. I want to expand, not box myself in a radioactive wasteland. :P
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: July 20, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
Okay, update time.

So the crusade for Hungary went kind of as expected, that is it failed miserably. Every single army sent against the mongols, no matter the size, was completely obliterated in a few seconds, with the mongol numbers literally not even changing. So I figured that since I wouldn't stand a chance either way if the mongols decided to invade me, I might as well use my troops to expand my empire elsewhere. So I invaded Scotland yet again, this time taking Innse Gall, those isles in the northwestern Scotland. This is by the way why it's taking so long for me to conquer Britain: I can only take one province at a time, since I have to fabricate a claim, make sure I am fit for war, then take the province, and then I'll have to recover before I can do it again.

Anyway, Scandinavia once again won the war, but Emperor Mikael II 'the Holy' was slain at age 73 in the battle of Gowric. And since his son prince Mikael had died in Great Pox only a few IC months before, Emperor Mikael's grandson Algot became the new monarch.

Also, it seems some things have changed in the new update of the game. My monarch is now referred to as "Kaiser" instead of "Emperor", and my dynasty emblem changed itself for some reason.

Future plans? Keep taking land in Scotland, then take Ireland, and then finish off with a backstab campaign against England. I have not decided where I will go after that, but I will try to stay clear of the Mongols.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:27:58 PM by Tobbs »

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 22, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Gad damn Civ V is addicting. I started a game as the germans, its been a while since I have played but I quickly dominated the surrounding areas. Kinda bloomed late, fought the Indians in the medieval era, but wasn't ready for conquest so accepted their peace offer. In the Renaissance I conquered the Indians, then slowly took some territory off the Songhai. Once I hit the late industrial era I decided to go nuts. Conquered America (the other civ on my continent, and finished off the Songhai, who have expanded into the islands in the ocean (making for good air and naval bases).

The other continent is dominated by the egyptians, a smaller but more technologically advanced empire (they're already in the future era, which is worrying for me), reasonably powerful greeks, a tiny Japanese state and what used to be the iriquois, conquered by the greeks. I'm preparing for a fullscale invasion but I don't think I will have time left to completely conquer the other people.

Out of curiosity what are the various victory conditions for Civ V?
...scum.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 22, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »
Gad damn Civ V is addicting. I started a game as the germans, its been a while since I have played but I quickly dominated the surrounding areas. Kinda bloomed late, fought the Indians in the medieval era, but wasn't ready for conquest so accepted their peace offer. In the Renaissance I conquered the Indians, then slowly took some territory off the Songhai. Once I hit the late industrial era I decided to go nuts. Conquered America (the other civ on my continent, and finished off the Songhai, who have expanded into the islands in the ocean (making for good air and naval bases).

The other continent is dominated by the egyptians, a smaller but more technologically advanced empire (they're already in the future era, which is worrying for me), reasonably powerful greeks, a tiny Japanese state and what used to be the iriquois, conquered by the greeks. I'm preparing for a fullscale invasion but I don't think I will have time left to completely conquer the other people.

Out of curiosity what are the various victory conditions for Civ V?
Depends if you have Brave new World installed.

There's domination where you're the last player still in control of your original capital.
There's the science victory where you build and launch the spaceship.

There's the cultural victory where:
Without Brave new world you just fill up three policy trees and then build the Utopia Project.
With Brave new world you have to boost your Tourism rate ("aggressive" culture) to supplant other civ's cultures. Once you do that you win.

There's the diplomatic victory:
Win a vote in the United Nations. Without brave new world it is a buildable wonder, someone has to build it for the elections to start. With Brave new world there are automatic conditions for it to be formed: either one civ gets to the information era, or more than half get to the atomic era.

EDIT: oh yeah, there's the score victory too. Civ with the highest score at the end of the game's time period wins.

In your case you "might" be screwed, as there's a civ already in the future era. They might be already building spaceship parts. Though IIRC, you get a warning once a civ's built the Apollo Project.

You should also check if they have already built the Manhattan Project.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:30:01 PM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
We both have the manhattan project, but yeah the egyptians have launched the Apollo program. Its around 1990 now, so my hope is to cripple the egyptians before they can launch the space ship and then play for a score victory (I'm miles ahead of everyone else on score)
...scum.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 22, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
and then finish off with a backstab campaign against England.
Burn them. BURN THEM ALL!
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 08, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
This game didn't work for a while, but I downloaded a patch for it and then it was k, so here is an update on my Elder Kings campaign.

So I decided to turn my attention west and start conquering those pesky cats who speak funny. In two wars I took some shore land from Elsweyr as well as conquered a petty shore kingdom named Senchal. Then I decided to retake that little province that had belonged to the Dunmer for quite a while. The Dunmer once again outnumbered me, but I once again tricked them into coming after my armies into Black Marsh, where they lost huge numbers of soldiers to attrition while I kept running from them, until their numbers were so low that I could easily defeat them. But then the Nibanese declared war on me and invaded with an army of 10,000 men. I wouldn't have been able to defeat them had they not made the same mistake as the Dunmer. Once the Nibanese reached me, their numbers had dropped from 10,000 to 4000 and I pulled the same strategy as I did against the elves until they were down to 2500, whereas I just turned around and crushed them. And so was pretty much their entire army gone, and now I am kicking their ass.

However, High King Beem-Kiurz sadly died of old age as one of the greatest generals in the world, leaving his son Teegla to be the next High King of Argonia.

Well there you have it folks. My current goal is to conquer Elseweyr, but where should I go after that? Morrowind? Nibenay? Or perhaps the distant Valenwood? What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:43:11 PM by Tobbs »

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 08, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »
This game didn't work for a while, but I downloaded a patch for it and then it was k, so here is an update on my Elder Kings campaign.

So I decided to turn my attention west and start conquering those pesky cats who speak funny. In two wars I took some shore land from Elsweyr as well as conquered a petty shore kingdom named Senchal. Then I decided to retake that little province that had belonged to the Dunmer for quite a while. The Dunmer once again outnumbered me, but I once again tricked them into coming after my armies into Black Marsh, where they lost huge numbers of soldiers to attrition while I kept running from them, until their numbers were so low that I could easily defeat them. But then the Nibanese declared war on me and invaded with an army of 10,000 men. I wouldn't have been able to defeat them had they not made the same mistake as the Dunmer. Once the Nibanese reached me, their numbers had dropped from 10,000 to 4000 and I pulled the same strategy as I did against the elves until they were down to 2500, whereas I just turned around and crushed them. And so was pretty much their entire army gone, and now I am kicking their ass.

However, High King Beem-Kiurz sadly died of old age as one of the greatest generals in the world, leaving his son Teegla to be the next High King of Argonia.

Well there you have it folks. My current goal is to conquer Elseweyr, but where should I go after that? Morrowind? Nibenay? Or perhaps the distant Valenwood? What do you think?
Valenwood. Extinguish those poncy altmer.
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
Valenwood. Extinguish those poncy altmer.
Valenwood actually has Bosmer, not Altmer :P

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 08, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
So I've got Gods and kings now for Civ 5 and started to play as austria, which is fun because you get to buy city states. The I downloaded a mod that let me play as Columbia from Bioshock infinite which was also pretty cool.
...scum.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 09, 2013, 03:07:44 AM »
Valenwood actually has Bosmer, not Altmer :P
Go a little further and you'll find them. :P Valenwood is a nice stepping stone.
Toaster