Author Topic: Game IV IndustrialCraft Minecraft Server  (Read 51592 times)

Offline .

• I am the end.
    • point-dot-point
    • superfrombelgium
    • View Profile
Re: Game IV IndustrialCraft Minecraft Server
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »
You know, this would be amazingly interesting to do
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1212125-closed-map-experiment/
The story was a hoax, copied from 4chan and spiced up with images.

But, I'd love to do this experiment.
Ever tried to be happy? Its kinda fun.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »
In an experiment like that, I'd do the same. With the addition of mass producing TNT. For demolition purposes.

What I don't get it is...how did the dick-ass griefers prevent people griefing the excrement out of their base when they were away griefing?

There was 50 people on the map, likely since they controlled the wood supply they most likely had a steady supply of weaponry to defend with. One guy away, one guy at home. Skype them when its time to let them in.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
The story was a hoax, copied from 4chan and spiced up with images.

But, I'd love to do this experiment.
Spoiler for NordTheOrcs reply to the copy response:
Regardless of whether or not this experiment is true and not just some well-written hoax, a lot of you are missing some important details.

Social experiments similar to this one have been done in all sorts of different mediums, and many have similar results. Regardless of whether or not this specific experiment is true, the results and observations can be related to numerous others of similar types. Do a little research, your most common result for these social experiments is chaos and destruction. There are other possible outcomes - and at that point you're just looking at the ethics of your specific group of testers. It's possible for there to be more positive results, but just as possible - if not more likely - to see a more horrifying conclusion.

A lot of you questioning some of the observations with "well, there's plenty of iron!", most of you are forgetting all of the mechanics in this game. Most of you probably play without limitations such as the ones listed here. You are playing a near infinite world, where removing entire materials from the equation is unheard of. Iron, for instance, is extremely important to a player fresh starting a world - but not long into it, it is hardly a rarity and is just expended like candy without a second thought. Yeah, it sucks if you die and lose a bunch of it - but you probably aren't set back miles.

You have control of your wood supply. Cut down a tree, you got saplings for another 10. Soon you can manage an entire forest by yourself, and you have ridiculous amounts of wood. The only struggle you have with that resource is whether or not you brought it with you on your mining expedition. You slap a few sticks with coal and you get torches, use a few with some wood planks and you have a set of basic tools.

Over the course of 2 months, in such a tiny world, it's completely reasonable that those who want to ensure their own dominance and survival are going to reap what they can. You hoard renewable resources all for yourself and your own struggles become easier while simultaneously taking that away from others. Wood is probably the sole most important resource in this game, as it is the building-block for everything. You take away wood, and you're left with people who can punch dirt. As the struggle for survival becomes tougher, people become more desperate. They might charge in - defenseless - in hopes of being able to steal some resources that they could then use - then making themselves a target.

There are plenty of variable in Minecraft that could not relate to real-life. The fact that you can have a house in the sky, is one of many. Death being nothing more than a setback is another, but dying to the hands of an enemy can be catastrophic if you give them resources they could turn against you.

I might have missed it, but assuming that the experiment had an up-time of a few hundred or thousand hours, I can totally see this result from the experiment. It could be fake, but I see no blatantly obvious reason why it couldn't be real either. You all have to keep in mind ALL of Minecraft's mechanics. It's very easy to take basic things like wood for granted.

EDIT: This seems like it would be ridiculously fun and I would have loved to be a part of this. Oh well!
Same, I would love to do this.

Omg, someone is starting it up on the minecraft forums
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1436874-closed-map-experiment-apply-now/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:07:47 PM by killer rin »

Offline .

• I am the end.
    • point-dot-point
    • superfrombelgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »
Spoiler for NordTheOrcs reply to the copy response:
Regardless of whether or not this experiment is true and not just some well-written hoax, a lot of you are missing some important details.

Social experiments similar to this one have been done in all sorts of different mediums, and many have similar results. Regardless of whether or not this specific experiment is true, the results and observations can be related to numerous others of similar types. Do a little research, your most common result for these social experiments is chaos and destruction. There are other possible outcomes - and at that point you're just looking at the ethics of your specific group of testers. It's possible for there to be more positive results, but just as possible - if not more likely - to see a more horrifying conclusion.

A lot of you questioning some of the observations with "well, there's plenty of iron!", most of you are forgetting all of the mechanics in this game. Most of you probably play without limitations such as the ones listed here. You are playing a near infinite world, where removing entire materials from the equation is unheard of. Iron, for instance, is extremely important to a player fresh starting a world - but not long into it, it is hardly a rarity and is just expended like candy without a second thought. Yeah, it sucks if you die and lose a bunch of it - but you probably aren't set back miles.

You have control of your wood supply. Cut down a tree, you got saplings for another 10. Soon you can manage an entire forest by yourself, and you have ridiculous amounts of wood. The only struggle you have with that resource is whether or not you brought it with you on your mining expedition. You slap a few sticks with coal and you get torches, use a few with some wood planks and you have a set of basic tools.

Over the course of 2 months, in such a tiny world, it's completely reasonable that those who want to ensure their own dominance and survival are going to reap what they can. You hoard renewable resources all for yourself and your own struggles become easier while simultaneously taking that away from others. Wood is probably the sole most important resource in this game, as it is the building-block for everything. You take away wood, and you're left with people who can punch dirt. As the struggle for survival becomes tougher, people become more desperate. They might charge in - defenseless - in hopes of being able to steal some resources that they could then use - then making themselves a target.

There are plenty of variable in Minecraft that could not relate to real-life. The fact that you can have a house in the sky, is one of many. Death being nothing more than a setback is another, but dying to the hands of an enemy can be catastrophic if you give them resources they could turn against you.

I might have missed it, but assuming that the experiment had an up-time of a few hundred or thousand hours, I can totally see this result from the experiment. It could be fake, but I see no blatantly obvious reason why it couldn't be real either. You all have to keep in mind ALL of Minecraft's mechanics. It's very easy to take basic things like wood for granted.

EDIT: This seems like it would be ridiculously fun and I would have loved to be a part of this. Oh well!
Same, I would love to do this.

Yeah NordTheOrcs was correct, the important part is the idea of the experiment, not the fact that it might be (partially) fake.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »

The World

Dick-Ass Griefers
Spoiler for More Pictures:

Merchants Guild

The Only Glass

Only Grass in the remains of the brotherhood

The Remains of The Axe

The Broken Community Portal

One of the only remaining stripmines

I do wonder though, did anyone try to hi'jack the dick-ass griefers base when the water came down?
Read the last page of the thread.

That story is copy-pasted. The screenshots were likely fake added later.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline .

• I am the end.
    • point-dot-point
    • superfrombelgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
This will never work, as those entering the experiment already know what happened.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:40 PM »

The first mistake is notifying people of what the experiment is meant to do. Results are guaranteed to be different.

In fact even knowing about the experiment makes us not eligible for our own, though it will still be fun to play with such limits.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »
Toaster

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
* mikethor007 surreptitiously fires up a quarry to start digging through the landscape again.
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
We should honestly make a tekkit server. So much better. It truly is. It has some problems, but Honestly its so fun.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
We should honestly make a tekkit server. So much better. It truly is. It has some problems, but Honestly its so fun.
We'd certainly be able to generate finished goods directly. Unlimited diamonds!
Toaster

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
Hmmmm...really tempted to use a Filler for clearing humongous areas but...that would floor the server due to the sheer ammount of block drops... x|
Toaster

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »
>.>
<.<

Apparently, one of the causes of lag is overuse of solar panels...

Ooops.
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »
>.>
<.<

Apparently, one of the causes of lag is overuse of solar panels...

Ooops.
:( Sorry you are all alone Mike. If they could do the Server in Tekkit, and start from scratch I think it would be cool and Things i could do would make projects much easier.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
:( Sorry you are all alone Mike. If they could do the Server in Tekkit, and start from scratch I think it would be cool and Things i could do would make projects much easier.
Eh, most of what I wanted to build is already in place, in terms of producing things. Now I can concentrate on exploring and building. If Tran ever gets the urge to kill the server for good, I could perhaps get a copy of the world and go on Single Player.

The server isn't lagging at all right now because it's just me in there. :P any lag I experience is usually down to my connection being crappy.
Toaster