Author Topic: Wii U Details  (Read 2233 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
Wii U Details
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:43:09 AM »
[float=left][attach=1][/float]Some more details about the Wii U have surfaced.  Looks like no DVD or Bluray movie support according to an interview with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.  Personally I think this is a poor choice.  The PS3 has always had an advantage that it could play DVDs and especially Blurays.  Early on it was even one of the cheapest Bluray players available and that certainly bulked up it's sales.  With the Wii U not supporting any option for playing movies that's one more thing people have to have under their TV.  Who wants a movie player and a game console when you can get away with just one?

More after the break.[cutoff]

Also in the news are details regarding the Wii U's performance.  Running on a Radeon chip similar to the last generation R770.  While it certainly outdoes the PS3 and XBox 360's graphics options (NVIDIA G70 and R520 equivalents respectively) it's certainly not what I would call impressive.  I would like to have seen a little more out of it to help compete against the inevitable competition Microsoft and Sony throw in the ring which will no doubt continue their standard policies of competing in the graphics arena.  Crytek seems to have a slightly better feeling than I do however apparently and is already close to finishing a port of the cry engine to the new console which begs the question: Will Crysis 3 be expanded to run on the Wii U aws well?  Time will tell as currently PC, PS3, and XBox360 are the only project officially in the works.

Via Nintendo, Game Watch, Develop by way of Slack News and Engadget

Thanks to mikethor007 for the tip.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:44:56 AM by The Doctor »
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Details
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:58:05 AM »
I stumbled on the news posts that talked about the lack of DVD/Bluray support and the GPU performance level today.

I'll say that I was expecting Nintendo to pull a "prank" like this one with DVD/Bluray support. They've always put their own proprietary formats first and foremost. It has been like this since the old NES.

That sort of thing doesn't fly well at all these days.

And with Nintendo comparing it to today's consoles, and that dip in stock value, I was expecting a fumble such as using already dated GPUs.

It seems that Nintendo is going to try and bank again in the novelty factor of the console as well as it being sold before the competition. They're essentially relegating themselves to a sort of niche market, playing a game of catch up that they were winning in the motion sensor department, but now...they're flat out losing.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet