Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176951 times)

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #900 on: August 17, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »
Continuing on my Medieval II campaign playing as the HRE.

Venice was very eager to come to a ceasfire with me, as they were too poor to even affort paying me any sort of tribute. So there the Venetian threat ended. I also took my mercenary army and stationed it inside Bologna when another large Milanese army suddenly approached (good time to note that Milan currently has the strongest military in the game, and I'm number 7). The first army layed siege to Bologna, but this new army couldn't help because it was too far away and had no action points left. So I decided to sally out directly and I managed to defeat the besieging Milanese and also got a hefty sum of gold since I managed to capture their general and ransom him. I then rode out with the same army on the same turn and completely destroyed this new, large army. That battle was the only one so far where I came close to losing, as all my troops started routing when the Milanese charged my lines and I charged out my spearmen too late, and so my crossbowmen took the full force of a cavalry charge. I managed to call them back with my general, though, and managed to regroup and then defeat the Milanese, killing most of them and executing all that I took prisoner.

I'm kind of disappointed with how easy this game feels right now. The AI is still dumb as bricks, it's just more aggressive now. I'm hoping the game will give me more of a challenge later on. Would be exciting to suddenly be surrounded by enemies.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:32:42 PM by Tobbs »

Keep calm and move along.

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 17, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
Continuing on my Medieval II campaign playing as the HRE.

Venice was very eager to come to a ceasfire with me, as they were too poor to even affort paying me any sort of tribute. So there the Venetian threat ended. I also took my mercenary army and stationed it inside Bologna when another large Milanese army suddenly approached (good time to note that Milan currently has the strongest military in the game, and I'm number 7). The first army layed siege to Bologna, but this new army couldn't help because it was too far away and had no action points left. So I decided to sally out directly and I managed to defeat the besieging Milanese and also got a hefty sum of gold since I managed to capture their general and ransom him. I then rode out with the same army on the same turn and completely destroyed this new, large army. That battle was the only one so far where I came close to losing, as all my troops started routing when the Milanese charged my lines and I charged out my spearmen too late, and so my crossbowmen took the full force of a cavalry charge. I managed to call them back with my general, though, and managed to regroup and then defeat the Milanese, killing most of them and executing all that I took prisoner.

I'm kind of disappointed with how easy this game feels right now. The AI is still dumb as bricks, it's just more aggressive now. I'm hoping the game will give me more of a challenge later on. Would be exciting to suddenly be surrounded by enemies.
You have to remember that the game is seven years old, the AI that Rome II is going to use will probably be a lot smarter. Anyway, good job with your Italian campaign, I suppose you're going to try to conquer at least a part of Milan?
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 17, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
You have to remember that the game is seven years old, the AI that Rome II is going to use will probably be a lot smarter. Anyway, good job with your Italian campaign, I suppose you're going to try to conquer at least a part of Milan?
I only have Florence in mind right now, which the Milanese ninja'd while I was fighting back the Venetians. After that, though, I have no real ambitions on that front, but I'll take the war as far as it needs to go.

And the destruction of Milan is one of my victory conditions, so there's that, too.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 17, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
And the destruction of Milan is one of my victory conditions, so there's that, too.
Yesssssss...
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 18, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
Jesus Christ, Milan is a freaking monster. The pope forced a truce between me and Milan, during which I amassed one full-strength army and one half-strength. As soon as the truce ended, a large Milanese army besieged Bologna. With this new full army I annihilated the besieging army as well as another large Milanese army, reducing their military by about 4,000 men. I then took my army, which was still in pretty good shape, and besieged Florence, which I had earlier besieged but failed to conquer. But then suddenly, a Milanese boat came along and an army of another full Milanese army disembarked, and together with another half-strength army, completely destroyed my army besieging Florence. Now the pope forbade me again from attacking Milan for 7 turns. That restriction doesn't seem to apply for Milan, though.

By now I didn't give a excrement, though, as I just wanted to destroy those damn Milanese. I took another full army from a castle further away that I just completed and marched towards Milan itself. But then my spy detected another huge Milanese army hiding in a plot of forest, which then moved towards Milan to stop me I guess. So then I had that huge army in front of me, and another large army behind me. So I retreated back to the castle immediately.

Now I have three half armies and one full army of Milanese marching towards my holds, and another half army inside each of their cities. And all of these armies get bigger and bigger every turn, as if they have unlimited money.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 19, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
So I got a third warning from the pope to not attack Milan. I didn't give a excrement, though, and took Bern and the city of Milan by massing just about all my forces there. Now the Milanese are confined to Genoa and Florence, and I was excommunicated. But then the pope died, and the new pope reconciled me, but once again forbade be from attacking the Milanese, lest I be excommunicated again. Okay, I thought, the Milanese aren't that much a threat anymore.

But then gently-carressing France betrayed me, too, and attacked the city of Milan with a full army. I destroyed that army, but lost one of my generals in the process. France is currently my total equal, with them and me constantly switching between another for the number one spot in military force. And now the French are launching a full-scale invasion at all my eastern territories. They won't be able to concentrate all their forces on me, though, like Milan could, because France is also at war with England and Portugal, while I can put full focus on them and only leave enough forces in my other regions to keep the borders secure.

I think I got this.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 23, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
So I have finally decided that my first campaign in Rome 2 will be with Carthage, as I can't resist the temptation of beating Rome's ass with them. And here is my plan for the greater Carthaginian empire that's actually a republic.
http://goo.gl/MX8UC4
The campaign planner seems a little buggy, though. Whenever I try the link it directs me to my plan, except with some provinces added and some removed. It seems to be the same ones every time, so I'll just say right away that I'm not planning on taking any land in Arabia Magna or Aethiopia, but I'm planning on taking Mallorca and all of Nabatea.

Also, recent news tell that they will be releasing yet another faction in free dlc shortly after launch, and that faction is the Seleucid Empire, which is awesome.
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Seleucid_Faction
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:30:08 PM by Tobbs »

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 09, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
Alright than, I do not really have time to play a lot of Rome II at the moment but still here is my progress so far, I am playing as Rome on hard difficulty.

I'm not sure what year it is now but I recall it was around 220 BC.

As you can see I have three full legions stationed in north Africa at the moment, two of those are on the western border ready to invade Mauretania, the Third Legion will be stationed at the border of Libya until they invade my lands or I decide to move into Egypt. My freshly raised fourth Legion will invade Illyria on its own, it is mostly made of praetorian guards so they will be able to do that without any trouble. The invasions of Illyria and Mauretania will likely be over within 10 turns, after that I will take the First and Second legion out of Africa and send them to Rome to upgrade the Hastati cohorts to proper legionaries and give them the best upgrades before my first, second and fourth legion will invade Greece.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play as Rome to the end in hard difficulty because it's just to damn easy...
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 09, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
Alright than, I do not really have time to play a lot of Rome II at the moment but still here is my progress so far, I am playing as Rome on hard difficulty.

I'm not sure what year it is now but I recall it was around 220 BC.

As you can see I have three full legions stationed in north Africa at the moment, two of those are on the western border ready to invade Mauretania, the Third Legion will be stationed at the border of Libya until they invade my lands or I decide to move into Egypt. My freshly raised fourth Legion will invade Illyria on its own, it is mostly made of praetorian guards so they will be able to do that without any trouble. The invasions of Illyria and Mauretania will likely be over within 10 turns, after that I will take the First and Second legion out of Africa and send them to Rome to upgrade the Hastati cohorts to proper legionaries and give them the best upgrades before my first, second and fourth legion will invade Greece.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play as Rome to the end in hard difficulty because it's just to damn easy...
I played as Carthage on normal difficulty and I had to struggle through hell and a fortnight just to survive until recently. I'm playing as the Barcid dynasty, which made everyone invade me since they all hated me due to cultural aversion. But now I've pretty much defeated Rome completely, with them only having the two top regions of Italia left, and almost all of my enemies destroyed. I think I'll switch up to Hard difficulty now.

By the way, how do you get a map screenshot like that?

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
I played as Carthage on normal difficulty and I had to struggle through hell and a fortnight just to survive until recently. I'm playing as the Barcid dynasty, which made everyone invade me since they all hated me due to cultural aversion. But now I've pretty much defeated Rome completely, with them only having the two top regions of Italia left, and almost all of my enemies destroyed. I think I'll switch up to Hard difficulty now.

By the way, how do you get a map screenshot like that?
Just switch to strategic mapmode, I think the shortcut was the tab key. There is also the option somewhere in the bottom right corner.

I think Rome just has a very good starting position and some decently strong units to start with.

Mind you, I've still lost two legions conquering the two rovinces north of Italy, damn barbarians declared war on me and were at the gates of Rome before I could get my armies out of south Italy and Corsica. The hastly raised mercenery armies only slowed them down enough for my real legions to arrive.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 09, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »
I think Rome just has a very good starting position and some decently strong units to start with.

Mind you, I've still lost two legions conquering the two rovinces north of Italy, damn barbarians declared war on me and were at the gates of Rome before I could get my armies out of south Italy and Corsica. The hastly raised mercenery armies only slowed them down enough for my real legions to arrive.
Well, the initial difficulty for Rome is 'Easy', while for Carthage it is 'Hard', so there's that.

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 10, 2013, 05:52:49 AM »
So I just assassinated napoleon...
...scum.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 10, 2013, 06:18:20 AM »
So I just assassinated napoleon...
Sorry to break it to you, man, but he's already dead. He has been for a while :P

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 10, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
Sorry to break it to you, man, but he's already dead. He has been for a while :P

Ah ha!

No, in Napoleon Total War, but he comes back
...scum.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 11, 2013, 08:04:52 AM »
Ah ha!

No, in Napoleon Total War, but he comes back
I never really liked Napoleon. It just felt like Empires except smaller.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 12, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
If I could describe my expansion into Illyria with a single screenshot it will probably be this:

This is what happens when I take direct control of defending a city with ridiculously strong soldiers, the enemy had three full armies versus my Fourth legion and the city garrison. I'm seriously considering stopping my game now since hard difficulty is far too easy for me...
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 12, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
If I could describe my expansion into Illyria with a single screenshot it will probably be this:

This is what happens when I take direct control of defending a city with ridiculously strong soldiers, the enemy had three full armies versus my Fourth legion and the city garrison. I'm seriously considering stopping my game now since hard difficulty is far too easy for me...
How about Legendary difficulty?

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 23, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
So I've decided to challenge myself by playing as the Ottomans in E:TW, while I wait for Rome to get to a more affordable price.

So far it's been difficult, as I'm at war with Morocco, Georgia, Persia and Russia. Most of my losses have in trade, with Morocco and Persia wreaking havoc with my trade routes, and I can't do anything to stop them currently. Morocco and Great Britain have conquered all but one region of the Barbary States, though thankfully I'm not at war with Great Britain. The Russian Front is the most stable theatre of war for me, as I've been able to push back multiple Russian incursions into the Crimea with my single army there.

My biggest problems however, are Georgia and Persia. Though Georgia is a pipsqueak nation, they've managed to amass a professional army, compared to my mainly militia/irregular garrison in Armenia, so if they go on the offensive I'm in trouble. I have a decent army nearby, in Azerbaijan, a recent acquisition from Persia. However they're stuck there, as I have no idea if Persia has a large army nearby or not.

My economy is really struggling however, as the Persians have one of my trade ports blockaded, and the Moroccans are raiding my sea routes. I've tried making peace, but Georgia is demanding Bosnia, which is not negotiable, and Persia outright refuses to make peace. The Russians demand more money than I can give, and Morocco is enjoying the economic boost from raiding too much to make peace.
I'm back people...

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 23, 2013, 01:45:22 AM »
One thing I really hate about E:TW, all those small nations still can amass huge armies of professional soldiers, highly unrealistic
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 23, 2013, 05:05:37 AM »
One thing I really hate about E:TW, all those small nations still can amass huge armies of professional soldiers, highly unrealistic

Tell me about it.

Now for an update, the Ottoman Empire stands on the brink of ruin!

Apparently the game is accurate in one area, that area being that everyone is Eastern Europe hates me. Venice and Poland-Lithuania entered the war against me, putting my total number of enemies at six. In the end this proved too much for me to handle, as Russia launched a new offensive into the Crimea, with the Venetians landing there in force as well. I was able to push back the Russians, but the Venetians won the day and captured the Crimean Khanate, forcing me to pull back the remains of my army to Moldavia. The Venetian Navy then proved their dominance of the Mediterranean by raiding my sea trade routes, and blockading a port. Poland-Lithuania then attempted to capture Moldavia, though thankfully I was able to repel it. However as this was happening, Spain destroyed Morocco, which made me smirk. However Great Britain captured Tripoli thus destroying the Barbary States, the last of my protectorates.

Thankfully however it wasn't all losses for me, as my war with Persia went well. I was able to break their blockade and eventually destroy them, leaving nothing but a doorway to India and an independent Afghanistan. I was also able to finally broker an unconditional peace with Georgia (it looked like Russia and/or Chechnya was giving them trouble).

All in all though, thing's went badly overall. Though I conquered Persia, secured my Caucasian Front and sent an army into the Mughal Empire (they allied with Persia), I lost all of my protectorates and was forced to pay a heavy financial price for peace with Venice. My economy has been largely ruined, with my income down to about a 1/3 of what it was, and my army in Europe nearly destroyed in holding actions.

So now I'm left with trying to hold the Balkans, conquer territory in Northern India, rebuild my economy and reform my military.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 23, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
I'm also playing as the Ottoman Empire right now, actually. I've only played a few turns, and I've already lost Armenia to Georgia, though I'm preparing a counteroffensive. I'm also playing with DarthMod Empire, which makes the game about ten times better :sorcerer:

Seriously, you should get it if you don't already have it. It's great :)

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »
Also, let me tell you of my adventures in Rome II. Patch 4 has been released, making the game significantly better, but at the same time making all campaigns from the earlier versions stop working for me, so I've lost all my progress with my Carthage, Parthia and Iceni campaigns, which totally sucks. But eh, might as well move on. Patch 4 also added the Seleucid faction, which I'm currently playing as. Now as for my experience with Patch 4 Rome II.

HOLY excrement THIS GAME IS HARD NOW! It was easy as hell with Carthage once I had proper armies, but now the enemy is actually very competent. My economy was quite large and very stable at first, but then half my satrapies revolted at the same time, which cut my income in half, and then those satrapies destroyed the rest, which decreased my income from 3500 talents per turn to 500. And at the same time, almost every nation bordering me has declared war on me, and I now have to fight on four fronts with three armies, since my fourth and fifth had been completely destroyed because I don't know how to use the Seleucid units effectively yet. I also can't afford any more armies, since my income is too low.

I have recently somehow managed to fight back two full armies from my former satrapy Parthava in one of my larger cities, Seleucia, and now my army there is severely weakened, and Parthava still have two full armies marching towards Seleucia. I can't push any offensives, and I can't send reinforcements because I have to defend against Egypt, Galatia and Media Atropatene as well, whom all have armies massing at my borders. Although I have allied with Pontus, Trapezios, Sparta, Athens, Macedon, and Knossos, I made those alliances after all these wars started, and now they refuse to help me.

The only thing working in my favour is that I have dominance of the sea, and can freely raid enemy trade routes and intercept enemy armies travelling by water, but my empire is slowly crumbling, with Egyptian forces pushing through the south, having already taken back Jerusalem and threatening Petra, and with my forces locked in defence of my other borders. If I can just complete building my fourth army in Tarsus, I will be able to push back the Egyptians and take back Jerusalem, which will buy me some time if nothing else.

Also, how do you use pikemen effectively in battle? I never manage to get them where I want since they are so slow in phalanx formation, and they always end up fighting infantry rather than cavalry.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
Everyone who has Rome II go here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/258270 you can get three new factions for free as an apology for the state the game was in during release, it will only be free for a few days so just download it now.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 23, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
Everyone who has Rome II go here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/258270 you can get three new factions for free as an apology for the state the game was in during release, it will only be free for a few days so just download it now.
Oooh. Apology accepted.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 23, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
Already got it along with the main game and the other DLC. Now let's see who I'll play as first...
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet