Author Topic: Mass Effect: NO SIGNAL  (Read 539615 times)

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
Re: Mass Effect: NO SIGNAL
« Reply #5750 on: August 24, 2016, 04:23:16 AM »
"You blew up our ship, we're out in the middle of nowhere, and we don't have the forces to take your ship," Oli states matter of factly, trying to keep her breathing slow to delay the effects of the stimulant. "So just get on with it already. It's been a long day and I could very much use a nice long nap."

"Oh no," the batarian replies, shaking his head.  "This hunt cost me far too much, I very much intend to experience its conclusion fully.  You are impatient though, I understand.  Perhaps you should not be.  As I'm sure your Consort would attest, our means of storing the accused is efficient, if a bit uncomfortable."

The orange-clad woman at his side is mute in response, as was to be expected given the complete coverage of her mask, but the Commissar at his back takes up the slack.

"And we have unfinished business to attend to."

Faskan sighs, glancing back over his shoulder.  "You truly have no sense of restraint, of suspense, do you?"

"And in the end, said the witch to the drowning prince, you've been the one choosing the path of the Rose in spite of knowing where it lead.  To petals, yes, but the abyss of thorns as well."

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: August 24, 2016, 04:27:24 AM »
"Oh no," the batarian replies, shaking his head.  "This hunt cost me far too much, I very much intend to experience its conclusion fully.  You are impatient though, I understand.  Perhaps you should not be.  As I'm sure your Consort would attest, our means of storing the accused is efficient, if a bit uncomfortable."

The orange-clad woman at his side is mute in response, as was to be expected given the complete coverage of her mask, but the Commissar at his back takes up the slack.

Faskan sighs, glancing back over his shoulder.  "You truly have no sense of restraint, of suspense, do you?"

"I just want off this gently-carressing planet already," Oli retorts, her bitterness genuine.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: August 24, 2016, 04:37:34 AM »
"I just want off this gently-carressing planet already," Oli retorts, her bitterness genuine.

"Listen you little bit--" Nabor starts in, before the scarred salarian beside him cuts him off with a sharp gesture from her cane.  Behind those kneeling, the men sent into the compound reemerge, carting several boxes with them.

"Is that their gear?" Faskan asks, receiving an acknowledgement from his ranking subordinate.  "How fortunate, as our catch is impatient.  We shall start there." 

From 'there', whatever that meant, he looks to Veier, using his free hand to gesture her forward.  The Blue Suns Commander does just that, her voice ringing with authority.  "Then find me the armor of this one," she motions towards Oli.  "Gaudy colors, jetpacks, if I recall."

Stepping closer still, she places the tip of her cane at the turian's throat, lifting her chin up.  It allows Oli a view of the disfigurement she had undergone in orbit of Tefnut, and the look of retribution in her eyes.

"Got it," one of the soldiers announces, to which Veier has an immediate reply.

"Good.  Destroy it.  Store the others, as per your laws."

"And in the end, said the witch to the drowning prince, you've been the one choosing the path of the Rose in spite of knowing where it lead.  To petals, yes, but the abyss of thorns as well."

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:29 AM »

"Hey Nabor," Devin said from his kneeling position, his eyes staring straight ahead, not even bothering to look at the man as he spoke. "If you care enough to know, I killed one of your men. Saw another one dead on my way of the burning wreckage of the... what, second or third ship of yours we've destroyed, Faskan? Sorry, I'm just losing count."

"Come on, Nabor, all of this over one little love tap?" He mocked, favoring the turian with a smirk. "I can't have been the first person who's ever tried the smack the bitch out of you."
Eight of Clubs, Ace of Spades, Ace of Clubs, Eight of Spades

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: August 24, 2016, 04:43:46 AM »
"Listen you little bit--" Nabor starts in, before the scarred salarian beside him cuts him off with a sharp gesture from her cane.  Behind those kneeling, the men sent into the compound reemerge, carting several boxes with them.

"Is that their gear?" Faskan asks, receiving an acknowledgement from his ranking subordinate.  "How fortunate, as our catch is impatient.  We shall start there." 

From 'there', whatever that meant, he looks to Veier, using his free hand to gesture her forward.  The Blue Suns Commander does just that, her voice ringing with authority.  "Then find me the armor of this one," she motions towards Oli.  "Gaudy colors, jetpacks, if I recall."

Stepping closer still, she places the tip of her cane at the turian's throat, lifting her chin up.  It allows Oli a view of the disfigurement she had undergone in orbit of Tefnut, and the look of retribution in her eyes.

Oli doesn't move, except to look up at the scorched salarian's face. She holds her gaze, fiery orange eyes set on deep salarian black as she orders her prized armor destroyed. All of her weapons, all of her advanced Armiger systems, the armor was nearly one of a kind outside of the Hierarchy. There was gear designed for aerial maneuvers of course, but nothing that could compete with the Hierarchy's gear. It takes all of Oli's willpower to do it, but she simply holds the salarian's gaze, silently trying to imagine if there was some way to both set a person on fire and space them out of an airlock at the same time.

Offline Yan Luos nar Tonbay

• View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: August 24, 2016, 04:45:38 AM »

An infantile gesture from an impotent man determined to die forgotten and alone, a coward unworthy of remembrance. Nabor only dug a deeper grave for himself, Yan keeping still and silent in his meditative state. On Rannoch, there was a serpentine creature that would wait weeks baking in the hot sun for an opportunity to feast on its unwary prey, letting rodents and vermin take as many bites out of its flesh as they desired before finally wrapping them in a tight coil and strangling the life out of them with the press of its scales. Such a moment was one to savor.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: August 24, 2016, 04:52:11 AM »
Oli doesn't move, except to look up at the scorched salarian's face. She holds her gaze, fiery orange eyes set on deep salarian black as she orders her prized armor destroyed. All of her weapons, all of her advanced Armiger systems, the armor was nearly one of a kind outside of the Hierarchy. There was gear designed for aerial maneuvers of course, but nothing that could compete with the Hierarchy's gear. It takes all of Oli's willpower to do it, but she simply holds the salarian's gaze, silently trying to imagine if there was some way to both set a person on fire and space them out of an airlock at the same time.

Veier meets the challenge headlong, the jagged flesh across her right cheek making her gaze all the more malevolent.  "Not so talkative now, hmm?  Good.  Remember this, Valerius.  When you're splitting rocks on some batarian hellhole," at her side Faskan frowns slightly, "or whatever they intend to do to you, remember this.  You took my crew, my face.  And I took your wings."

Turning on her heel, the Commander begins the laborious walk back towards the shuttle she had arrived on.  "Finish with the others, I'm done here," she throws over her shoulder.

At Oli's side, Nix nearly lunges after her-- abstaining only at the last moment, and terrifying the nearest handful of batarians with their weapons aimed solely at her massive form.

Offline Captain Seluj Temoi

• View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: August 24, 2016, 04:53:06 AM »
The surrounding guards keep their weapons firmly trained on the surrendering group at their center, their experience with the Ordo's former crew having induced a special sort of paranoia.  Further back a pair of techs can be seen monitoring their omnitools, undoubtedly watching for any sign of Seluj or Tala working outside the physical realm.  Meanwhile Nix follows Oli's lead, moving to her knees, although even in such a position she nearly rises to the height of the surrounding batarians.  Kahlin is next, then the others, until only Naeir remains upon her feet.  The quarian lingers, her hands balled into fists, before dropping to a singular knee.  She's not happy about it, and Seluj can almost imagine Tala whispering in her ear, advising caution.

Faskan waits patiently, and only takes several steps closer as Naeir finally relents.  He keeps the bound Jaova at his side, a trophy-- or perhaps a shield, in case of treachery. 

"Regardless of the hopelessness of your situation, I expected more resistance, regardless," he muses.  To his right Veier hobbles forward for a closer look as well, while Nabor begins to pace.

Seluj just keeps her signature active, observing their defenses with slight prodding. There she could outdraw them, but here we were outnumbered. She keeps her distance, her presence seething red - inadvertently providing enough of a fog for lesser things to get lost in.

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: August 24, 2016, 04:56:53 AM »
Veier meets the challenge headlong, the jagged flesh across her right cheek making her gaze all the more malevolent.  "Not so talkative now, hmm?  Good.  Remember this, Valerius.  When you're splitting rocks on some batarian hellhole," at her side Faskan frowns slightly, "or whatever they intend to do to you, remember this.  You took my crew, my face.  And I took your wings."

Turning on her heel, the Commander begins the laborious walk back towards the shuttle she had arrived on.  "Finish with the others, I'm done here," she throws over her shoulder.

At Oli's side, Nix nearly lunges after her-- abstaining only at the last moment, and terrifying the nearest handful of batarians with their weapons aimed solely at her massive form.

Oli doesn't move after Nixidonia, she doesn't budge a millimeter. Only her eyes move, unblinkingly following the salarian during her slow trek back to her vehicle. Even Devin's taunts are lost on her. If they killed him for it, she found herself unable to care. Her vision had gone red, white hot fury causing her heart to race. Her wings, her mobility...

Veier may as well have severed her arms from her shoulders, plucked her eyes from her skull, or carved her heart out of her chest.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: August 24, 2016, 04:57:32 AM »
"Hey Nabor," Devin said from his kneeling position, his eyes staring straight ahead, not even bothering to look at the man as he spoke. "If you care enough to know, I killed one of your men. Saw another one dead on my way of the burning wreckage of the... what, second or third ship of yours we've destroyed, Faskan? Sorry, I'm just losing count."

"Come on, Nabor, all of this over one little love tap?" He mocked, favoring the turian with a smirk. "I can't have been the first person who's ever tried the smack the bitch out of you."

"You little gently-carress," Nabor shoots back, stepping towards the kneeling human.  At first Crofporos bars his passage with an arm, but on second thought he seems to rethink the situation, and relents.

"We are taking them in alive," the batarian reminds his turian ally, earning a growl from Nabor as he roughly grabs hold of Devin's collar.

The black armored man grins wildly as they come eye to eye, before he winds back and delivers a blow directly to his foe's forehead.  A rivulet of blood runs down Devin's brow, as Nabor laughs.  "How's that for a love tap, you cocky little excrement!?"

Jaova seems at least barely aware of the situation, a mewl of concern escaping her mask, but Faskan keeps her at his side.  "Promises of safety made, yes I know, my dear.  But you cannot see the extenuating circumstances.  Mister Caulfield was told to kneel, and is not doing that.  I cannot help it if he resists arrest."

The explanation is capped by another sharp crack, as Nabor strikes again.

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5760 on: August 24, 2016, 05:07:49 AM »
"You little gently-carress," Nabor shoots back, stepping towards the kneeling human.  At first Crofporos bars his passage with an arm, but on second thought he seems to rethink the situation, and relents.

"We are taking them in alive," the batarian reminds his turian ally, earning a growl from Nabor as he roughly grabs hold of Devin's collar.

The black armored man grins wildly as they come eye to eye, before he winds back and delivers a blow directly to his foe's forehead.  A rivulet of blood runs down Devin's brow, as Nabor laughs.  "How's that for a love tap, you cocky little excrement!?"

Jaova seems at least barely aware of the situation, a mewl of concern escaping her mask, but Faskan keeps her at his side.  "Promises of safety made, yes I know, my dear.  But you cannot see the extenuating circumstances.  Mister Caulfield was told to kneel, and is not doing that.  I cannot help it if he resists arrest."

The explanation is capped by another sharp crack, as Nabor strikes again.

The plated blow against Devin skull hurt like bloody hell. Mixed with his already broken nose from the impact, the rush of pain was so intense that the world burst into solid red. For a moment, Devin feared he was going to black out, but he managed to pull himself back together. This wouldn't be the first time he'd gotten his head smashed in. While it probably wasn't great for his brain, he at least knew from past experience he could survive it.

Nabor, however, doesn't get as lucky with his second shot as he first. With the element of surprise gone, the turian missed out on getting a second cheep shot as Devin managed to throw up a small shield in front of his face, letting Nabor willingly smash his head into what must a felt like a brick wall.

Devin doesn't say a word, he just smirks as the blue blood that begins to run down Nabor's head matches the red trickling down his own.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: August 24, 2016, 05:16:50 AM »
The plated blow against Devin skull hurt like bloody hell. Mixed with his already broken nose from the impact, the rush of pain was so intense that the world burst into solid red. For a moment, Devin feared he was going to black out, but he managed to pull himself back together. This wouldn't be the first time he'd gotten his head smashed in. While it probably wasn't great for his brain, he at least knew from past experience he could survive it.

Nabor, however, doesn't get as lucky with his second shot as he first. With the element of surprise gone, the turian missed out on getting a second cheep shot as Devin managed to throw up a small shield in front of his face, letting Nabor willingly smash his head into what must a felt like a brick wall.

Devin doesn't say a word, he just smirks as the blue blood that begins to run down Nabor's head matches the red trickling down his own.

Nabor's joy vanishes in an instant, like a child who's toy was taken away.  The difference, of course, was that a child did not command comparable biotic skill.  Blue light blooms between them, the turian's sort of their shared skill focused very much on brute strength-- a distinct advantage in such a competition.  He follows up on breaking of Devin's shield by violently tossing him to the ground, adding his armored boots to the work of his fists.

Across the way, still holding onto the distraught Jaova, Faskan shakes his head.  "Tsk," he comments to the rest of the crew.  "Hardly a gentleman's response, isn't that right, my Prince?"

Eyeing his chosen target directly, the Acquisition Officer snaps his fingers.  A burly batarian armed with a shotgun approaches, a large machete strapped to his chest.  Turning towards the man, Faskan offers Jaova to him.

"Hold her, gently please.  Thank you.  Now," he still stands with his back to Yan, but again looks to him over a shoulder.  "It does make me think, though, it does.  About... the concept of nobility.  Your title has bothered me since I first came upon it, you must understand.  Prince of Diamonds.  Quite ostentatious.  But it occurs to me that Princes do not steal.  Thieves do."

He turns on his heel, again addressing the quarian head-on.  In his grasp the machete is held, while his other hand wriggles, enunciating his point.

"Do you know what we do to petty thieves in the Hegemony?"

• View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: August 24, 2016, 05:24:56 AM »
Nabor's joy vanishes in an instant, like a child who's toy was taken away.  The difference, of course, was that a child did not command comparable biotic skill.  Blue light blooms between them, the turian's sort of their shared skill focused very much on brute strength-- a distinct advantage in such a competition.  He follows up on breaking of Devin's shield by violently tossing him to the ground, adding his armored boots to the work of his fists.

Across the way, still holding onto the distraught Jaova, Faskan shakes his head.  "Tsk," he comments to the rest of the crew.  "Hardly a gentleman's response, isn't that right, my Prince?"

Eyeing his chosen target directly, the Acquisition Officer snaps his fingers.  A burly batarian armed with a shotgun approaches, a large machete strapped to his chest.  Turning towards the man, Faskan offers Jaova to him.

"Hold her, gently please.  Thank you.  Now," he still stands with his back to Yan, but again looks to him over a shoulder.  "It does make me think, though, it does.  About... the concept of nobility.  Your title has bothered me since I first came upon it, you must understand.  Prince of Diamonds.  Quite ostentatious.  But it occurs to me that Princes do not steal.  Thieves do."

He turns on his heel, again addressing the quarian head-on.  In his grasp the machete is held, while his other hand wriggles, enunciating his point.

"Do you know what we do to petty thieves in the Hegemony?"

Faskan's thinly-veiled threat serves little purpose, Yan himself meeting the batarian, machete and all with a steady stare. His heart beat slow, his hands were steady, for so long as he continued to have them. He had to admit, the prospect of losing them was vexing, but not so vexing as his rather underhanded comment.

"Petty thief? Now you're simply being insulting."

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: August 24, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »
With Veier's retreat, Oliviar finally loses the extreme focus she'd had drawing all of her attention. Without the salarian to direct her intense hatred at, she is left with the sound of Devin's skull being slowly caved in, the threatening shimmer of Faskan's blade reflecting the sunlight, ill intent scratched into its edge.

"Enough."

Oli stands, staring down first those batarians whose guns were trained on her, then the four eyed officer that lead them. "You're not laying a finger on him or anyone else," the turian growls defiantly, having long since reached her breaking point and left with seemingly no regard for her own well being. "I don't know what the hell Devin did to piss Nabor off so much, and I don't care. I don't know where you get off promising us safe passage, then threatening to start maiming people, and I don't care. He's going to stop," she points at Nabor, "and you're going to stop screwing around and take us back to your ship. Or I am going to make sure the only thing you have left to show the Hegemony for losing the majority of your men and your fleet is a bunch of corpses that will have no value to them."

Tempting fate, the scrawny turian takes a step forward, daring one of the guards to put a round in her. "You want to demolish my armor, fine. But I'm not going to stand here and watch you brutalize my crew, and I know I'm not alone. So go on and swing that sword if you want to. We might all die, but I promise you one of us will make sure to take you with us when we go. So back off, before I decide to take my chances just for the hell of it. Because right now, dying with your entrails on my talons is looking pretty damned appealing, and I know I won't need my armor to do it."

• View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: August 26, 2016, 03:57:40 AM »
With Veier's retreat, Oliviar finally loses the extreme focus she'd had drawing all of her attention. Without the salarian to direct her intense hatred at, she is left with the sound of Devin's skull being slowly caved in, the threatening shimmer of Faskan's blade reflecting the sunlight, ill intent scratched into its edge.

"Enough."

Oli stands, staring down first those batarians whose guns were trained on her, then the four eyed officer that lead them. "You're not laying a finger on him or anyone else," the turian growls defiantly, having long since reached her breaking point and left with seemingly no regard for her own well being. "I don't know what the hell Devin did to piss Nabor off so much, and I don't care. I don't know where you get off promising us safe passage, then threatening to start maiming people, and I don't care. He's going to stop," she points at Nabor, "and you're going to stop screwing around and take us back to your ship. Or I am going to make sure the only thing you have left to show the Hegemony for losing the majority of your men and your fleet is a bunch of corpses that will have no value to them."

Tempting fate, the scrawny turian takes a step forward, daring one of the guards to put a round in her. "You want to demolish my armor, fine. But I'm not going to stand here and watch you brutalize my crew, and I know I'm not alone. So go on and swing that sword if you want to. We might all die, but I promise you one of us will make sure to take you with us when we go. So back off, before I decide to take my chances just for the hell of it. Because right now, dying with your entrails on my talons is looking pretty damned appealing, and I know I won't need my armor to do it."

"Sit. Down," Yan hisses, his throat bubbling with intensity as he snaps his gaze towards Oli with a quick motion, eyes looking to meet hers through his mask, "You'll only get people killed. Sit down."

Turning back towards Faskan, the batarian clearly savoring his own victory with that blade weighing in his grip. It would be short-lived, Yan swore, steadying the fear threatening to take over his mind and calming his breath. "Don't look at her, look at me. Look at me," the pirate prince insisted, his stare hard and sharp and filled with venom, "Come on. At least you have the courage to swing the blade yourself."

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: August 26, 2016, 03:58:34 AM »

"Enough."

Devin, for his part, had taken to being curled tightly up on the ground in a protective position; his arms protecting his neck and head from Nabor's relentless attacks to save him from any serious damage. His biotics also played a part; keeping a small shield around his body to deflect as much as possible. It wasn't a perfect system--more than a few of the turian's blows managed to make it through and connect hard with his body--but at least Devin wasn't having his bones ground into powder by the alien's armored attacks.

"I'm fine," he said, his voice muffled by his curled-up position. "Got'em right where I want 'em. I think he's getting tired."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:13 AM »

"Enough."

"Sit. Down," Yan hisses, his throat bubbling with intensity as he snaps his gaze towards Oli with a quick motion, eyes looking to meet hers through his mask, "You'll only get people killed. Sit down."

Turning back towards Faskan, the batarian clearly savoring his own victory with that blade weighing in his grip. It would be short-lived, Yan swore, steadying the fear threatening to take over his mind and calming his breath. "Don't look at her, look at me. Look at me," the pirate prince insisted, his stare hard and sharp and filled with venom, "Come on. At least you have the courage to swing the blade yourself."

The batarian had paused, four eyes swinging between the now standing turian and the still supplicant quarian, the planet's sun at his back.  His soldiers aren't as still, several of them pointing their weapons directly at Oli.  Small shifts of their heads suggest conversations going on among their own communication net, obscured by the helmets all by Faskan himself wore.  But finally it's their leader that speaks, the heavy blade he now held point at Oli-- even as he speaks to Yan.

"What am I to look at," he asks, before violently flinging the machete into the sand, where it impacts and remains upright buried halfway to the hilt.  "A foolish girl at the end of her options, making threats she cannot possibly back?  You may not be a Prince, not truly, but at least you understand the reality of your situation.  Words are wind, actions make a man.  Define him.  When I return home, they will see that my fleet has been all but lost, and they will not care, for I will bring them you lot-- and whatever your destination, this mysterious Lyonesse holds."

Devin, for his part, had taken to being curled tightly up on the ground in a protective position; his arms protecting his neck and head from Nabor's relentless attacks to save him from any serious damage. His biotics also played a part; keeping a small shield around his body to deflect as much as possible. It wasn't a perfect system--more than a few of the turian's blows managed to make it through and connect hard with his body--but at least Devin wasn't having his bones ground into powder by the alien's armored attacks.

"I'm fine," he said, his voice muffled by his curled-up position. "Got'em right where I want 'em. I think he's getting tired."

Nabor seems to take the comment as a personal affront, another growled curse coming alongside another strong blow to Devin's side with his booted foot.

The reigning Acquisition Officer, meanwhile, reaches down once again.  The blade is back in his hands, anger rising in his voice as he turns on Oli.  "You're starting to look like more trouble then you're worth, though, Oliviar.  Maybe I should cut your throat right here--"

Now Nix is on her feet, as more guns fall upon the standing turian pair.  "Like hell you will!"

Naier is next, her fingers rolling in motion, as if ready to make a lunge for something-- anything.  "Slaver throats are getting cut not ours."

A wall of shadow passes slowly over the rolling dunes.

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: August 26, 2016, 04:17:46 AM »
The batarian had paused, four eyes swinging between the now standing turian and the still supplicant quarian, the planet's sun at his back.  His soldiers aren't as still, several of them pointing their weapons directly at Oli.  Small shifts of their heads suggest conversations going on among their own communication net, obscured by the helmets all by Faskan himself wore.  But finally it's their leader that speaks, the heavy blade he now held point at Oli-- even as he speaks to Yan.

"What am I to look at," he asks, before violently flinging the machete into the sand, where it impacts and remains upright buried halfway to the hilt.  "A foolish girl at the end of her options, making threats she cannot possibly back?  You may not be a Prince, not truly, but at least you understand the reality of your situation.  Words are wind, actions make a man.  Define him.  When I return home, they will see that my fleet has been all but lost, and they will not care, for I will bring them you lot-- and whatever your destination, this mysterious Lyonesse holds."

Nabor seems to take the comment as a personal affront, another growled curse coming alongside another strong blow to Devin's side with his booted foot.

The reigning Acquisition Officer, meanwhile, reaches down once again.  The blade is back in his hands, anger rising in his voice as he turns on Oli.  "You're starting to look like more trouble then you're worth, though, Oliviar.  Maybe I should cut your throat right here--"

Now Nix is on her feet, as more guns fall upon the standing turian pair.  "Like hell you will!"

Naier is next, her fingers rolling in motion, as if ready to make a lunge for something-- anything.  "Slaver throats are getting cut not ours."

A wall of shadow passes slowly over the rolling dunes.

Oli takes another few threatening steps forward, spurred on by Naeir and Nixidonia's backing. Kahlin's concotion might of been designed to take a while to metabolize, but Oli's increased volatility and heartrate were doing nothing to slow it getting into her system. Whether its that or her own building frustration and rage that spur her on is anyone's guess. "Yan, shut the gently-carress up!" she shouts venomously. "I don't give a gently-carress what Faskan does to you, but Kahlin does! Stop being a selfish piece of excrement for once in your life!"

Turning back to Faskan, Oli's blood is on fire, a shaking talon pointing at her own throat. "We could do this the easy way you batarian gently-carress! But if you really want it to be that way, then COME ON! I'M RIGHT HERE!!!"

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: August 26, 2016, 04:30:49 AM »
Oli takes another few threatening steps forward, spurred on by Naeir and Nixidonia's backing. Kahlin's concotion might of been designed to take a while to metabolize, but Oli's increased volatility and heartrate were doing nothing to slow it getting into her system. Whether its that or her own building frustration and rage that spur her on is anyone's guess. "Yan, shut the gently-carress up!" she shouts venomously. "I don't give a gently-carress what Faskan does to you, but Kahlin does! Stop being a selfish piece of excrement for once in your life!"

Turning back to Faskan, Oli's blood is on fire, a shaking talon pointing at her own throat. "We could do this the easy way you batarian gently-carress! But if you really want it to be that way, then COME ON! I'M RIGHT HERE!!!"

Faskan pauses, then waves for his surrounding soldiers to stand down, at least a bit.  The blade in his hand gleams as he nods to himself, his free hand carefully removing the pith helmet he so often favored.

"You're about to regret tha--"

He's interrupted, but a most unexpected source.  Kahlin.  She's pointing wildly towards the distance.  "Hey!  Look!"

And there the source of the rising shadow that had already overtaken them looms, a curved black hand reaching across the visible sun of this almost unexplored planet. 

"An eclipse," one of the batarian soldiers remarks, looking as he did with all the others towards the sight.  "Lunar?"

Naier, undoubtedly coached by Tala, shakes her head.  "That's no moon.  This planet doesn't have one."

Almost simultaneously the two dozen or so omnitools in attendance each shriek with the same warning, repeated across the screen of anyone who called upon their device. 

//NO SIGNAL//

Spoiler for Arrival:

The assembled soldiers return to their guns, as Faskan drops the machete once again.  Even Nabor stops the beating he was giving out.

"We need to get back to the Ardent Pursuit," he seems to finally agree, looking Yan.

• View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: August 26, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »
Faskan pauses, then waves for his surrounding soldiers to stand down, at least a bit.  The blade in his hand gleams as he nods to himself, his free hand carefully removing the pith helmet he so often favored.

He's interrupted, but a most unexpected source.  Kahlin.  She's pointing wildly towards the distance.  "Hey!  Look!"

And there the source of the rising shadow that had already overtaken them looms, a curved black hand reaching across the visible sun of this almost unexplored planet. 

"An eclipse," one of the batarian soldiers remarks, looking as he did with all the others towards the sight.  "Lunar?"

Naier, undoubtedly coached by Tala, shakes her head.  "That's no moon.  This planet doesn't have one."

Almost simultaneously the two dozen or so omnitools in attendance each shriek with the same warning, repeated across the screen of anyone who called upon their device. 

The assembled soldiers return to their guns, as Faskan drops the machete once again.  Even Nabor stops the beating he was giving out.

"We need to get back to the Ardent Pursuit," he seems to finally agree, looking Yan.

Plan's change. Adapt. Overcome. This was one of the maxims of the Migrant Marines. Opportunity presents itself and Yan takes advantage. With blindingly fast movement, Yan is surging forward from his kneeling posture, the fallen machete taken in his grasp with unmatched dexterity. The blade comes millimeters from Faskan's throat, so close that a bead of dark red blood forms at his neck, Yan's mask pressing against his features without a sound.

"This is far from over," turning, the quarian points his blade at Oliviar, then to Nixidonia and finally to Naeir, "Get Jaova. Retrieve our equipment. Help Devin. Move."

Offline Captain Seluj Temoi

• View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:53 AM »

//NO SIGNAL//

Spoiler for Arrival:

Seluj's expression doesn't betray the source or her satisfaction with the new interloper - as much as Faskan flustered, he would still shrink away, unable to comprehended or chase the depths of space that blinked back.

A sheltered coward, through and through - obsolecent by his people's choices, gilded by their delusions, relevance only bearing that the meat he inhabited now was only to be tinder for the coming fire.

That thought alone would be enough to keep her warm in cryo.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:42:22 AM by Captain Seluj Temoi »

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: August 26, 2016, 04:42:22 AM »

//NO SIGNAL//

Spoiler for Arrival:

Oli stares up at the looming shadow blotting out the sun. A ship? A battle station? A planet? The terror of it was that with thousands of years and autonomous machines that didn't need rest, who knew what the Lyonesse had been doing out on the edges of the galaxy? Whatever was encroaching on them was well beyond Faskan's incompetence to best. No, no, no. Waiting was no longer an option.

Plan's change. Adapt. Overcome. This was one of the maxims of the Migrant Marines. Opportunity presents itself and Yan takes advantage. With blindingly fast movement, Yan is surging forward from his kneeling posture, the fallen machete taken in his grasp with unmatched dexterity. The blade comes millimeters from Faskan's throat, so close that a bead of dark red blood forms at his neck, Yan's mask pressing against his features without a sound.

"This is far from over," turning, the quarian points his blade at Oliviar, then to Nixidonia and finally to Naeir, "Get Jaova. Retrieve our equipment. Help Devin. Move."

Oli, initially having been ready to leap for the machete, instead bolts back towards the pile they had left their gear in. Without her armor weighing her down, and with the earliest effects of Kahlin's concoction starting to find its way into her bloodstream, she moves like a predator on the plains, ready to make its kill. "Go!" she shouts to Nixidonia, pointing at the defenseless Jaova, preparing to dive for the cache of weapons.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: August 26, 2016, 04:52:00 AM »

Oli stares up at the looming shadow blotting out the sun. A ship? A battle station? A planet? The terror of it was that with thousands of years and autonomous machines that didn't need rest, who knew what the Lyonesse had been doing out on the edges of the galaxy? Whatever was encroaching on them was well beyond Faskan's incompetence to best. No, no, no. Waiting was no longer an option.

Oli, initially having been ready to leap for the machete, instead bolts back towards the pile they had left their gear in. Without her armor weighing her down, and with the earliest effects of Kahlin's concoction starting to find its way into her bloodstream, she moves like a predator on the plains, ready to make its kill. "Go!" she shouts to Nixidonia, pointing at the defenseless Jaova, preparing to dive for the cache of weapons.

Yan is fast, but so was Faskan.  A hunter's reflexes, after all. 

By the time the machete is at his throat, the batarian leaning back and away, the quarian is presented with a sharp pressure against his thigh-- the batarian's pistol, pressed there.  Crippled in the short term, bleeding out in the long if so provoked.

"Nothing has changed!" He roars, as some distance away the pair of heavily armored vehicles that had taken overwatch duty spool up their main cannons.  Likewise, when Oli makes a lunge for her gear there were still several batarians in the way, two of which had been carrying the crate-- and who promptly drop it, reaching for their weapons.

Kahlin, for her part, had hit the sand, Jaova still seems only vaguely aware of the crisis, and Aji remained still-- watching carefully.

Faskan's eyes narrow.  "You go into cryo now, and we will deal with this... whatever it is.  You still have no ship, we still outgun you.  Nothing has changed!"

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: August 26, 2016, 04:57:05 AM »

//NO SIGNAL//

Spoiler for Arrival:

Freed from the onslaught, Devin is finally able to come up from his fetal position.

Sitting on the hard and barren earth, he--like the others--can only watch as what might as well have been the hand of God reaches across the sun, blotting it out and casting them all in shadow.

It's Yan's call to action mixed with Devin's own survival instant that pushes the gambler to his feet, despite the screaming pain in his chest and head.

"I'm fine," Devin lied, pushing past Nabor and half-running, half-limping towards Faskan, stopping at enough distance to keep himself from being gunned down by either the blink himself or one of his men.

"Look, if we're gonna do this, can we gently-carressing move already?" Devin asked. "Cause we have maybe five minutes before the Lyonesse come down and gently-carress up all our excrement?"

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:46:01 AM by Devin Caulfield »

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: August 26, 2016, 06:06:03 AM »
Oli, for her part, has only eyes for the crate. Inside of it, her armor, waiting for her. With it she'd be able to fly, with it, she'd be able to fight. She needed her wings. The encroaching helplessness that their destruction promised was too much to endure. After losing the ship, after losing Julius, to be parted with her armor was something Oli could no longer stomach. All tactics are thrown at the window, all logic abandoned as she dives for the first batarian. Nixidonia is able to see it most of all. Gone is the genius she usually witnessed in their sparring, no form, nothing. All that was left was wild instinct, an animal fighting to keep itself from being maimed.