Author Topic: Mass Effect: NO SIGNAL  (Read 539999 times)

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect: NO SIGNAL
« Reply #3025 on: September 02, 2015, 05:15:32 AM »
"Okay, nope," Devin blurted out, putting his plate down on the nearest flat surface. "I've seen enough excrementty sci-fi vids to know how this excrement goes. We're gently-carressin' throwing this thing in a fire right the gently-carress now."

"gently-carress that," Oli says, equally creeped out. "Let's ditch this thing in the nearest star. It's behaving like... like an AI or something. I don't know, it's so strange."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: September 02, 2015, 05:16:05 AM »
"Okay, nope," Devin blurted out, putting his plate down on the nearest flat surface. "I've seen enough excrementty sci-fi vids to know how this excrement goes. We're gently-carressin' throwing this thing in a fire right the gently-carress now."

"Now ain't that a kick in the head," Adilet murmurs, clearly lacking the concern Devin had expressed.

Both humans are briefly shadowed by the approach of Julius, his leg brace clanking with each step.  He doesn't look pleased.

"And in the end, said the witch to the drowning prince, you've been the one choosing the path of the Rose in spite of knowing where it lead.  To petals, yes, but the abyss of thorns as well."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: September 02, 2015, 05:21:01 AM »
Seluj raises a brow, inspecting the underlying infrastructure of the runtimes. You can change, but there's certain bits and pieces that must remain the stake, if only of its purpose. She chances a message from the neural rig, but not jacking in directly still.

"Who is this queen?" A sinking accompanies that once we opened.

The first message dissolves, the words falling into gibberish.  Tala silently notes another complete change of language structure and programming, a mark of suspicion.  Yet a response does come, rendered in a turian script while the first had been asari.

Spoiler for Message:
TH͏E ̸H̴EĄD ̕OF̕ ͟THE ̢N͝E̶W͞ SOC̛IE͟TY. ҉TH̷E C͞OL̷ONY̸. ON͜C͝E̶ A̸S͏AŔI̛. NO͘W G͘REATER.

"And in the end, said the witch to the drowning prince, you've been the one choosing the path of the Rose in spite of knowing where it lead.  To petals, yes, but the abyss of thorns as well."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: September 02, 2015, 05:22:11 AM »
"gently-carress that," Oli says, equally creeped out. "Let's ditch this thing in the nearest star. It's behaving like... like an AI or something. I don't know, it's so strange."

"We need that data," Nix whispers, perhaps afraid the probe itself had some means of hearing them directly.  "That its being protected... that has to mean its what we need, right?  A location."

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: September 02, 2015, 05:30:45 AM »
"We need that data," Nix whispers, perhaps afraid the probe itself had some means of hearing them directly.  "That its being protected... that has to mean its what we need, right?  A location."

"Don't come crying to me when that thing... I dunno, takes over the ship or something," Devin commented, a deep frown painted across his face. "This is just too gently-carressed up for my liking."
Eight of Clubs, Ace of Spades, Ace of Clubs, Eight of Spades

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: September 02, 2015, 05:30:56 AM »

"Yeah, but I don't know," Oli counters, setting her bowl of food aside and crossing her arms. "I mean... if we want the coordinates, we're going to have to be interfacing with this thing. What if it is an AI? Or something even worse? Remember what they did to that turian? For all we know, these... voices or whatever, could actually be asari who have had their minds cyberized. I wouldn't rule out anything, at this point."

Offline Yan Luos nar Tonbay

• View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:04 AM »
"Charming," Canaris returns, long talons running across where Yan had touched.  "But I'm impressed by your credentials, not... hm, wooed?  Let us keep it professional.  Let me see that data?"

Once provided he opens his omnitool, pausing only to droop a mandible as something sparks interest in those surrounding the probe.  Its not even to draw him over, however, and instead he returns to the haptic display.

"For the white-suited quarian, then?  We of course have the means to procure such a suit, if that is how you would desire to spend this particular opportunity.  I can even have it shipped in a small clean room.  Not the most comfortable of conditions, but your people are generally well versed in donning these suits, correct?  I'm sure she could manage."

He pauses, then hushes his voice a bit.  "Your commitment to this expedition is not in question.  I lack a full dossier on this other quarian, however.  Do you trust her?  We could provide you with backdoor access to this new suit's control suite.  For security purposes."

"You needn't be concerned about her," Yan answers, waving away the turian's words with a pass of one gloved hand, "She's a new addition to the crew and one who has seen her fair share of troubles already. But she's committed, so long as you can get me that suit. I don't want to be worrying about her if we end up in..."

The first message dissolves, the words falling into gibberish.  Tala silently notes another complete change of language structure and programming, a mark of suspicion.  Yet a response does come, rendered in a turian script while the first had been asari.

Spoiler for Message:
TH͏E ̸H̴EĄD ̕OF̕ ͟THE ̢N͝E̶W͞ SOC̛IE͟TY. ҉TH̷E C͞OL̷ONY̸. ON͜C͝E̶ A̸S͏AŔI̛. NO͘W G͘REATER.

"...trouble."

Stepping away from Canaris, his omnitool closed as he walks, Yan's hood and mask hides the scowl undeneath, shouldering through the group to squat down and stare into the screen alongside Seluj. Almost immediately, his hands move to examine the probe, omnitool igniting to scan it more thoroughly, looking for exactly how the device was receiving information or sending it.

"Quiet. Whatever you say, it could relay back to its 'Queen,'" is the pirate's hushed warning, turning his stare towards the probe, "Aylanta T'Eloi. The ancient Matriarch. That's who you're talking about."

Offline Captain Seluj Temoi

• View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:31 AM »
"You needn't be concerned about her," Yan answers, waving away the turian's words with a pass of one gloved hand, "She's a new addition to the crew and one who has seen her fair share of troubles already. But she's committed, so long as you can get me that suit. I don't want to be worrying about her if we end up in..."

"...trouble."

Stepping away from Canaris, his omnitool closed as he walks, Yan's hood and mask hides the scowl undeneath, shouldering through the group to squat down and stare into the screen alongside Seluj. Almost immediately, his hands move to examine the probe, omnitool igniting to scan it more thoroughly, looking for exactly how the device was receiving information or sending it.

"Quiet. Whatever you say, it could relay back to its 'Queen,'" is the pirate's hushed warning, turning his stare towards the probe, "Aylanta T'Eloi. The ancient Matriarch. That's who you're talking about."

Seluj doesn't ask aloud anymore. She had suspected the same as well, though she communicates in a far more familiar tone to the device than the rest.

She still keeps up her defenses.

"And what is greater?

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:56 AM »
Spoiler for Tech Challenge:
T4 vs T2 = Success!

Initial scans return nothing concerning.  The probe clearly lacked hardwired connections, and none of the wireless sort are detected either.  The probe had featured a communications relay, but a short-range subdermal scan-- of the same sort he had demonstrated to Kahlin-- reveals that had been damaged whenever the impact-wound had been caused.  In fact, for one relatively versed in these sort of data-collection devices, Yan finds nothing out of the ordinary.  It appears the probe had not been altered whenever the presence inside had been uploaded.

To his question, however, there is no response.

"I have not found evidence of outside sensors," Tala interrupts.  "Besides the keypad on the control interface, and the limited connection I am maintaining.  Allow me to provide it with your question."

"Aylanta T'Eloi. The ancient Matriarch. That's who you're talking about."

Spoiler for Message:
CO̶RRECT̸. ҉ID̡ENTI̧FY͡ ̸Y̵O̧UR SPE͘C̢I̧ES̡.

The words disappear, garbled again.  Now when they return they are in a drell dialect, one that is troublesome for the translators of those observing.

Seluj doesn't ask aloud anymore. She had suspected the same as well, though she communicates in a far more familiar tone to the device than the rest.

She still keeps up her defenses.

"And what is greater?

Spoiler for Message:
OU͜R͘ Q͜UE̷EǸ.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:47:22 AM by Redtracer7 »

• View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: September 02, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »
"I have not found evidence of outside sensors," Tala interrupts.  "Besides the keypad on the control interface, and the limited connection I am maintaining.  Allow me to provide it with your question."

Spoiler for Message:

"My species?" Yan answers, closing his omnitool and once more returning to the console with a crouch, "Tala, answer it with another question. If your directive was to self-terminate, why ask my species? Why is this relevant to your directive?"

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: September 02, 2015, 05:55:42 AM »
Spoiler for Tech Challenge:
T4 vs T2 = Success!

Initial scans return nothing concerning.  The probe clearly lacked hardwired connections, and none of the wireless sort are detected either.  The probe had featured a communications relay, but a short-range subdermal scan-- of the same sort he had demonstrated to Kahlin-- reveals that had been damaged whenever the impact-wound had been caused.  In fact, for one relatively versed in these sort of data-collection devices, Yan finds nothing out of the ordinary.  It appears the probe had not been altered whenever the presence inside had been uploaded.

To his question, however, there is no response.

Spoiler for Message:

The words disappear, garbled again.  Now when they return they are in a drell dialect, one that is troublesome for the translators of those observing.

Spoiler for Message:
OU͜R͘ Q͜UE̷EǸ.

Seluj remains with the guarded messages, her own suspicion confirmed.

"What are your directives serving Queen T'Eloi?" As much as she hated the tittle, she remains diplomatic, analyzing the intelligence as it ran.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: September 02, 2015, 06:01:35 AM »
"My species?" Yan answers, closing his omnitool and once more returning to the console with a crouch, "Tala, answer it with another question. If your directive was to self-terminate, why ask my species? Why is this relevant to your directive?"

Seluj remains with the guarded messages, her own suspicion confirmed.

"What are your directives serving Queen T'Eloi?" As much as she hated the tittle, she remains diplomatic, analyzing the intelligence as it ran.

Spoiler for Message:
DI̧R͘EC̵TIVE̸S͞: ̛1҉) P̢RÓT̨ECT D̷ÁT͟A. ͘ ͟2) COL͠LECT FURTH̵E͠R ̵ÌN͘FO̵R͠MA̶T̴ION̡. YOU D̵O͟ N̕OT T̛H̴R͟EĄT̕E̶Ń.̕ CU͡RR̸ENT ̛L͏OC̵A̛TIO͜N U͟N̛KNOW͠N. THU͘Ś ͘W͞E I͏N̨QUI̶R̷E͝. I͞NTEG̀R͜A̶TI̸ÒN ̡SU͘B̛JE̡CTS?

• View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: September 02, 2015, 06:07:10 AM »
Spoiler for Message:
DI̧R͘EC̵TIVE̸S͞: ̛1҉) P̢RÓT̨ECT D̷ÁT͟A. ͘ ͟2) COL͠LECT FURTH̵E͠R ̵ÌN͘FO̵R͠MA̶T̴ION̡. YOU D̵O͟ N̕OT T̛H̴R͟EĄT̕E̶Ń.̕ CU͡RR̸ENT ̛L͏OC̵A̛TIO͜N U͟N̛KNOW͠N. THU͘Ś ͘W͞E I͏N̨QUI̶R̷E͝. I͞NTEG̀R͜A̶TI̸ÒN ̡SU͘B̛JE̡CTS?

"Negative. Species: quarian. Location..." the suited man pauses, turning his helmeted head in consideration before turning back, "Location: en route. You're being returned to your Queen. But we need coordinates. Do you have them?"

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: September 02, 2015, 06:14:46 AM »
"Negative. Species: quarian. Location..." the suited man pauses, turning his helmeted head in consideration before turning back, "Location: en route. You're being returned to your Queen. But we need coordinates. Do you have them?"

The language provided upon the small screen shifts again, taking a salarian outer-rim dialect.

Spoiler for Message:
Q̸UA̵RIAN͜? ͡ ̷N͝A͝V͞I͝GATO͏R ͘SP͟E҉C͏I͜ES. ͘ H͟I͏GH P͡RIORITY̧ ͝S͏ÙBJ͟EC͝T. IŅCAPABL͡E̴ OF ̢L͡EAVIN̶G̕ ͡C̷OLOŅY͝. D͠E̸CEP͢T̕I̸O̕N.̷ W̶IL̵L ̀ŚE͜LF̶-̡TERM̷I͢NATE͡ I̢F̵ ̛TH͞RE̵ATE̷N̷E͜D.̴ ́ L͟EA̛VE̡ US͏ BE.̀

From his position nearby, Julius shakes his head.  "We're sure it can't hear us then?  Because we sure can't interrogate it."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:18:55 AM by Redtracer7 »

• View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: September 02, 2015, 06:22:04 AM »
The language provided upon the small screen shifts again, taking a salarian outer-rim dialect.

Spoiler for Message:
Q̸UA̵RIAN͜? ͡ ̷N͝A͝V͞I͝GATO͏R ͘SP͟E҉C͏I͜ES. ͘ H͟I͏GH P͡RIORITY̧ ͝S͏ÙBJ͟EC͝T. IŅCAPABL͡E̴ OF ̢L͡EAVIN̶G̕ ͡C̷OLOŅY͝. D͠E̸CEP͢T̕I̸O̕N.̷ W̶IL̵L ̀ŚE͜LF̶-̡TERM̷I͢NATE͡ I̢F̵ ̛TH͞RE̵ATE̷N̷E͜D.̴ ́ L͟EA̛VE̡ US͏ BE.̀

From his position nearby, Julius shakes his head.  "We're sure it can't here us then?  Because we sure can't interrogate it."

"According to Tala and Seluj," Yan indicates, rising with a disappointed sigh, "Whatever this thing is, it's intelligent but largely blind and unable to receive or transmit data. So long as nobody tries speaking with it directly, it can't learn anything from us. Sadly, it's smarter than I thought. For now, we may need the second piece of the puzzle we were promised from Libertas. Perhaps with two of these Lyonesse devices, we can discern more."

Stepping away, the quarian speaks aside to Julius, nodding to include Seluj and Tala. "Don't engage it, don't listen to it, don't ask it anything. At least until we can learn more without giving ourselves away. If those... things outside Tefnut come for us to retrieve it, it'll tell them anything we told it."

• View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 02, 2015, 06:22:38 AM »

Spoiler for Message:

From his position nearby, Julius shakes his head.  "We're sure it can't here us then?  Because we sure can't interrogate it."

<"I am Matriarch Zaoh M'Tris."> Seluj returns back via her unique communication method. Some of the channel's signal feedback is opened to the machine so it could review the biomechanical operations. Her organic palm rests on the screen of the display, not having needed its primitive visual aid to understand it. "I seek to return you to your queen and reach beyond the vision of the limited Thessians, and ascend. Can I follow in your queen's footsteps?"

From beyond the tint of her goggles, the statement burns with a odd degree of conviction, an old road walked down before. The resemblance had always been rather uncanny.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:04:28 AM by Captain Seluj Temoi »

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 02, 2015, 06:26:32 AM »
"According to Tala and Seluj," Yan indicates, rising with a disappointed sigh, "Whatever this thing is, it's intelligent but largely blind and unable to receive or transmit data. So long as nobody tries speaking with it directly, it can't learn anything from us. Sadly, it's smarter than I thought. For now, we may need the second piece of the puzzle we were promised from Libertas. Perhaps with two of these Lyonesse devices, we can discern more."

Stepping away, the quarian speaks aside to Julius, nodding to include Seluj and Tala. "Don't engage it, don't listen to it, don't ask it anything. At least until we can learn more without giving ourselves away. If those... things outside Tefnut come for us to retrieve it, it'll tell them anything we told it."

"I still say we get it real close and personal to the buisness end of a sledgehammer," Devin grunted, looking over at his disguarded breakfast, and no longer feeling the hunger for it. "That thing is about as close to Pandora's Box as it gets, and half of ya are trying to crowbar the gently-carresser open."

"If we're gonna hang on to this thing, I say let's at least keep it far away from anything or anyone it can gently-carress with."
Eight of Clubs, Ace of Spades, Ace of Clubs, Eight of Spades

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 02, 2015, 06:29:16 AM »

"Should be easy enough to quarantine," Nix suggests, looking at the probe warily.  "Could just build a crate around it.  Or weld a panel over that access keypad.  I mean I pretty much trust everyone on this ship, uh--"

She glaces towards where Kahlin and Naeir still sit, the former talking loudly and without apparent end.  Nix snorts loudly.  "But we should be careful."

Adilet perks up suddenly next, waving a finger.  "What did you just say, Yan?  If those things come for it, it would talk to them?  What if we brought it one of them.  They're bound to show up again, could... I dunno, hack it or something?  Make it speak with that probe.  Give up the goods."

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 02, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »
"Should be easy enough to quarantine," Nix suggests, looking at the probe warily.  "Could just build a crate around it.  Or weld a panel over that access keypad.  I mean I pretty much trust everyone on this ship, uh--"

She glaces towards where Kahlin and Naeir still sit, the former talking loudly and without apparent end.  Nix snorts loudly.  "But we should be careful."

Adilet perks up suddenly next, waving a finger.  "What did you just say, Yan?  If those things come for it, it would talk to them?  What if we brought it one of them.  They're bound to show up again, could... I dunno, hack it or something?  Make it speak with that probe.  Give up the goods."

"Except that would require we force whatever we capture to do that, and given the modifications of that turian we fought... I don't think that's happening. And I doubt we'll convince one of the Geth to do it, either," she concludes with a shrug.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 02, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »

"I am Matriarch Zaoh M'Tris." Seluj returns back via her unique communication method. Some of the channel's signal feedback is opened to the machine so it could review the biomechanical operations. Her organic palm rests on the screen of the display, not having needed its primitive visual aid to understand it. "I seek to return you to your queen and reach beyond the vision of the limited Thessians, and ascend. Can I follow in your queen's footsteps?"

From beyond the tint of her goggles, the statement burns with a odd degree of conviction, an old road walked down before. The resemblance had always been rather uncanny.

This time the presence hesitates, presumably to dig through the new data Seluj had provided.  Tala is the first to point out, in a rather snide fashion, that its processing power couldn't be too impressive because of the wait.  But it does return eventually.

Spoiler for Message:
PR͟E͏LIMIN̴AR͟Y I̵NT͜E͝GR͞AT͞ION̶ D̴ET̶EC͏TE͘D̵.̀ ̢ D͏EŚIGN҉ ͟ŲN͘K̵NǪW͢N. ͡FU͟NC̕T͜IO̢N͘ ̴U҉NKN̷OW̕N.̢ ̡VO̸L͜ƯNTE̸E͜R̕ S̷T͢ĄT̷US͘ PE̸NDÌNG̶. ̛SO̶L͢ĄR̕ ͘YEAR͠S͟ ͝SI̵NCÈ ҉L͝A̵ST̶ ̸V̵OLU̧N҉TE͡E͢R̶: ̷2̡0͡77̧. ̧ U̢N̸ABLE ͝TO̸ P̶ROC͢ES͘S̶ RE̢QU͝EST͜. C̷O͢NFIR҉M DESI̢RE? ̢ C̴O̡N̕FI͠R̕M ̨A͘B҉ILITY ͘T̛O S̢ELF-҉ACT̕U҉ALI͜Z̢E̵?

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: September 02, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »
"Except that would require we force whatever we capture to do that, and given the modifications of that turian we fought... I don't think that's happening. And I doubt we'll convince one of the Geth to do it, either," she concludes with a shrug.

"Would be damn nice if we found a key on Libertas, just plugged it in.  Access granted."  Julius doesn't sound hopeful, and indeed the tap of his cane against the ground heralds a continuation.  "Doubt it though.  Nothing about this Lyonesse seems nice."

• View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:05 AM »
This time the presence hesitates, presumably to dig through the new data Seluj had provided.  Tala is the first to point out, in a rather snide fashion, that its processing power couldn't be too impressive because of the wait.  But it does return eventually.

Spoiler for Message:
PR͟E͏LIMIN̴AR͟Y I̵NT͜E͝GR͞AT͞ION̶ D̴ET̶EC͏TE͘D̵.̀ ̢ D͏EŚIGN҉ ͟ŲN͘K̵NǪW͢N. ͡FU͟NC̕T͜IO̢N͘ ̴U҉NKN̷OW̕N.̢ ̡VO̸L͜ƯNTE̸E͜R̕ S̷T͢ĄT̷US͘ PE̸NDÌNG̶. ̛SO̶L͢ĄR̕ ͘YEAR͠S͟ ͝SI̵NCÈ ҉L͝A̵ST̶ ̸V̵OLU̧N҉TE͡E͢R̶: ̷2̡0͡77̧. ̧ U̢N̸ABLE ͝TO̸ P̶ROC͢ES͘S̶ RE̢QU͝EST͜. C̷O͢NFIR҉M DESI̢RE? ̢ C̴O̡N̕FI͠R̕M ̨A͘B҉ILITY ͘T̛O S̢ELF-҉ACT̕U҉ALI͜Z̢E̵?

<"Tala, you have my back, right? Safeguards up. Keep this thing off us if it tries anything funny.">

Once the VI brings up its more guarded protocols and resumes its vigilance, Zaoh reveals her play. She reaches out, touching the consciousness and ringing back to it in her own distorted resonance that she shared with her drones and her craft.

<"Yes.">
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:45:34 PM by Captain Seluj Temoi »

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: September 04, 2015, 03:23:01 AM »

"Bastard had artificial limbs, and I would be the first to volunteer to cut them off if it came to that," Nix pitches in, the rough rumble to her voice suggesting she anything but afraid to go another round with the creature that had nearly downed her.  "But there must be an easier way, I agree.  We should try that other lead, that the government on Libertas offered our deceased Spectre.  Until then I wouldn't touch that pro-- Temoi!"

<"Tala, you have my back, right? Safeguards up. Keep this thing off us if it tries anything funny.">

Once the VI brings up its more guarded protocols and resumes its vigilance, Zaoh reveals her play. She reaches out, touching the consciousness and ringing back to it in her own distorted resonance that she shared with her drones and her craft.

<"Yes.">

Nixidonia was too late, Seluj-- or was Temoi-- was already in, Tala whispering through an encrypted connection.

"You should just let me kill it."

Instead she assists with linking them together, installing a door through which the presence immediately pours.  Tala is on edge, her own processing power spiking in an attempt to watch the guest in her Captain's spinal array-- but an attack never comes.  The probe's inhabitant merely explores, kicking the proverbial tires.  Nor does it ever take a concrete form, as Tala was inclined to do.  To the asari's digital eyes it remains a garbled fog, only the barest glimpses of something lurking beneath becoming visible.

<"We are satisfied.  Beginning transfer.">  A pair of files make their way into the asari's onboard storage in the wake of the unspoken words, after having been thoroughly scanned by Tala.  When opened they're revealed to be a pair of blueprints, and not of the digitally produced sort-- they're a scan of an actual hand-drawn pair of devices.  In the upper right corner of each a short label identifies the engineer, the included year translated from old Thessian to the galactic standard: Aylanta T'Eloi, 555 BCE.

The first is some manner of accessory, intended to be integrated at the point where an organic brain stem would meet an existing artificial spinal rig.  Externally it would then wrap around the neck in several banded sections, to pull tight against the throat and thus be anchored in place.  Internally, and no effort is made to hide it, the device was clearly intended to be some manner of override.  By interfacing directly with the spinal rig on which it would be locked, it could bypass even the most sophisticated internal defenses-- although just what it would do with such access would be dependent upon the accompanying software installed. 

And that helps explain the second blueprint, which at first glance appeared to be a six-inch long rectangle tapering into a spike-like bottom, divided into individual articulating segments.  Its dimensions fit perfectly with a slot built into the previous blueprint however, marking it as a storage device for a digital construct of considerable size.

The presence does not comment on the files provided, but merely continues with its instructions.  <"Prove your willingness, prove your skill.  Build.  Present yourself again once completed, and the first attached.  We lack a directive to assist in integration.  Our resources were removed.  We will thus provide additional data, and a means of interfacing with a Soldier of our Queen for further assistance.  Confirm clarity?">

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:35:25 AM by Redtracer7 »

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 07, 2015, 03:01:19 AM »
"Bastard had artificial limbs, and I would be the first to volunteer to cut them off if it came to that," Nix pitches in, the rough rumble to her voice suggesting she anything but afraid to go another round with the creature that had nearly downed her.  "But there must be an easier way, I agree.  We should try that other lead, that the government on Libertas offered our deceased Spectre.  Until then I wouldn't touch that pro-- Temoi!"

Nixidonia was too late, Seluj-- or was Temoi-- was already in, Tala whispering through an encrypted connection.

"You should just let me kill it."

Instead she assists with linking them together, installing a door through which the presence immediately pours.  Tala is on edge, her own processing power spiking in an attempt to watch the guest in her Captain's spinal array-- but an attack never comes.  The probe's inhabitant merely explores, kicking the proverbial tires.  Nor does it ever take a concrete form, as Tala was inclined to do.  To the asari's digital eyes it remains a garbled fog, only the barest glimpses of something lurking beneath becoming visible.

<"We are satisfied.  Beginning transfer.">  A pair of files make their way into the asari's onboard storage in the wake of the unspoken words, after having been thoroughly scanned by Tala.  When opened they're revealed to be a pair of blueprints, and not of the digitally produced sort-- they're a scan of an actual hand-drawn pair of devices.  In the upper right corner of each a short label identifies the engineer, the included year translated from old Thessian to the galactic standard: Aylanta T'Eloi, 555 BCE.

The first is some manner of accessory, intended to be integrated at the point where an organic brain stem would meet an existing artificial spinal rig.  Externally it would then wrap around the neck in several banded sections, to pull tight against the throat and thus be anchored in place.  Internally, and no effort is made to hide it, the device was clearly intended to be some manner of override.  By interfacing directly with the spinal rig on which it would be locked, it could bypass even the most sophisticated internal defenses-- although just what it would do with such access would be dependent upon the accompanying software installed. 

And that helps explain the second blueprint, which at first glance appeared to be a six-inch long rectangle tapering into a spike-like bottom, divided into individual articulating segments.  Its dimensions fit perfectly with a slot built into the previous blueprint however, marking it as a storage device for a digital construct of considerable size.

The presence does not comment on the files provided, but merely continues with its instructions.  <"Prove your willingness, prove your skill.  Build.  Present yourself again once completed, and the first attached.  We lack a directive to assist in integration.  Our resources were removed.  We will thus provide additional data, and a means of interfacing with a Soldier of our Queen for further assistance.  Confirm clarity?">

Seluj's eyes darken from behind her goggles, concentrating on maintaining her will.

<"Clarity confirmed."> Zaoh replies, her eyes quickly cooling in the mutual interaction. Of course, the retainers would need to be submissive. No Queen would willingly give up such easy means of control. Yet the designs were only a basis. She could surely surpass such, given enough time.

Tala's design was even quickly improving. Perhaps they would get the chance after all, once the final trap had been set.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: September 09, 2015, 02:59:31 AM »
Seluj's eyes darken from behind her goggles, concentrating on maintaining her will.

<"Clarity confirmed."> Zaoh replies, her eyes quickly cooling in the mutual interaction. Of course, the retainers would need to be submissive. No Queen would willingly give up such easy means of control. Yet the designs were only a basis. She could surely surpass such, given enough time.

Tala's design was even quickly improving. Perhaps they would get the chance after all, once the final trap had been set.

The confirmation is all the presence requires, and without further discussion it breaks contact, retreating back into the static confines of the probe.  Afterward the control panel upon the device itself closes down as well.  Clearly their audience with this fragment of Lyonesse was over, at least until Seluj had submitted to its desires.

When the asari opens her eyes, however, she is greeted not with a few of the probe-- but the plated visage of Nixidonia.  Seluj's feet were in fact several feet from the ground held aloft by the iron grip of the Ordo's tallest inhabitant.  She doesn't look happy.

"What did you just do?"  She demands, sharpened teeth bared.