Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -An overbearing guide to modding Skyrim  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Foxdonut

• Videogames suck
    • View Profile
 GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING GAME-IV! What a wonderful day this is in the beautiful blogisphere!
-NOTICE This page is a WiP!
-Your noticing this notice has been noticed and will be reported to the authorities.

So, I was on le teamspeak with ze Doctor and le Kikaimegami (You guys gently-carressing rock) and we came to the decision that it was about time for me to write a modding guide page for Skyrim in a similar format to my Fallout: New Vegas write up. So, without any more jabbering, lets get down to business.

So, to start off Skyrim is basically the same engine as Fallout and Oblivion. Which means if you read my last guide you probably can just skip to the list of suggested mods. HOWEVER, for the newcomers to modding a Bethesda RPG I'll reiterate for the gently-carress of it.

As a second point, when the GECK comes out Kikai and I will post tutorials and additional mods to this page  :sorcerer: So don't ask me about a custom mod for you yet, cause I won't do it. kthxbai.  ;D

The Basics

• Le step one: Download the new and SHINY! Built into the website mod manager from the nexus (Seriously the coolest excrement evar) Nexus Mod Manager Linkage.
  • Install the new and shiny mod manager, before you can use it you need to register on the nexus website!
  • Once you get that all downloaded and installed go to the nexus site or click one of the suggested mods in the list below.
  • Afer you've downloaded the mod using the manager, click the tab on the manager that says mods.
  • To activate/install said mod all you need to do is press the puzzle piece picture with the green arrow going to to RIGHT!
  • Oh hey look, your done installing your mod! EVERYONE CELEBRATE!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!
Animations and You

Now I don't know about anyone reading this but I can't stand the vanilla animations for characters and weapons. The list below is what I use for animation replacement. Some of them require a utility called FNIS to run together properly. So, to start download the Behavior Files package from FNIS and install it with Nexus Mod Manager. We'll come back to next steps after the suggestion list so read on.
The Suggestion List! (Animations)
Ok so the list is done, now that you have the animations installed navigate yourself to the tools folder in the Skyrim Data install directory, (Something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\tools\) Then hit the folder labeled FNIS Generate for users and run GenerateFNISforUsers.exe. Set the check boxes to Gender Specific Animations and both of xp32's, then hit Update FNIS Behavior, let it run then close the program. Congrats your done with animations unless you want to add more.

The Suggestion List! (None Animations) (I hate the list system on this site  :dry: )
(In order of awesome as of 11/13/2012 4:43 PST Check back later when I'm not le tired)
  • Sky UI -Quite possibly the best thing ever, complete revamp of Skyrim's User Interface, including sorting of items, and proper listing. THIS MOD REQUIRES SKYRIM SCRIPT EXTENDER! INSTALL IT FIRST! (For how to install this see SKSE Instructions below this list.
  • The most awesome map mod evar -Adds roads to the map (Like a boss)
  • Skryim HD Textures -This mod has a few variants, the full version is a complete upres of the entire environment of Skyrim, textures range from 2048x2048, all the way to 8k. Totally freaking boss.
  • W.A.T.E.R -Awesome mod, it allows you to pick how you want the water to look along with making it stupid high res. YOU HAVE TO INSTALL THIS AFTER THE UPGRADED SKYRIM TEXTURES!
  • Enhanced Night Sky -INSTALL AFTER SKYRIM TEXTURE UPGRADE!
List will be updated as I find new cool excrement to try. Thanks for reading, I'll see you all at the next update. HAVE A GOOD gently-carressING TIME DAMN IT!

SKSE Install

So SKSE, or Skyrim script extender is a neat little thing that has been around for a long time through out all of bethesda's RPGs that use the Oblivion style engine. Its gone by different names but its the same thing. Enough of the background though, installation is pretty easy.

• Download SKSE from http://skse.silverlock.org/
  • Open the 7zip folder with Winrar or 7Zip (Durrr) double click the folder inside of it then click and drag all of the files inside that folder into your Skyrim directory. (Should look something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim)
  • MOST IMPORTANT PART! IF YOU WANT TO USE SKY UI OR ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES SKSE YOU MUST RUN SKSE DIRECTLY FROM YOUR DIRECTORY OR FROM THE NEXUS MOD MANAGER. (To do this click the small drop down arrow next to the launch skyrim button and select SKSE.)
The Foxdonut
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:20:19 PM by Foxdonut »

Offline phonypapercut

• View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -An overbearing guide to modding Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
Neat. Just like to point out that the latest version of Skyrim HD includes water and night sky textures, so those separate ones are kinda redundant unless you prefer the style or something. And all of Xenius' stuff can be had in one big package.
And if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in — Yes —
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be — Nothing — Thou shalt not be less.

Offline Foxdonut

• Videogames suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »
Neat. Just like to point out that the latest version of Skyrim HD includes water and night sky textures, so those separate ones are kinda redundant unless you prefer the style or something. And all of Xenius' stuff can be had in one big package.
Yeah, but the files that come with the Skyrim HD for the night and Water are kinda messed up, some of the textures aren't seemed properly, which is why I prefer to use RWT and Real night sky, not to mention the night sky mod looks a lot better than the Skyrim HD. As for Xenius's stuff, I linked individual things because his pack isn't compatible with CBBE body textures (you get some really nasty seams with it.)

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 03:19:56 AM »
There are HD texture packs for Skyrim?

Wat.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline phonypapercut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:35:15 AM »
Why is that so surprising?
And if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in — Yes —
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be — Nothing — Thou shalt not be less.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
There are HD texture packs for Skyrim?

Wat.

Srs,  skyrim is low res man.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline Foxdonut

• Videogames suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Srs,  skyrim is low res man.
Yeah mang they still started at like 512 and some 1024

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »
Meh. It looks great to me, and my computer can't run it. I consider that HD.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline Foxdonut

• Videogames suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
Meh. It looks great to me, and my computer can't run it. I consider that HD.
I could swear we have this conversation every time the subject videogames and the words HD, high res, and textures are mentioned.  :teehee:

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »
I could swear we have this conversation every time the subject videogames and the words HD, high res, and textures are mentioned.  :teehee:
Deja vu. :sorcerer:
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
Might want to have a look at this one:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7654

And this one to go with the map mod already in the list:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4817

And maybe this one while SkyUI doesn't include a reworked favorites menu.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4862

And if people want a bit of fun and humor, that Fall of the Space Core one that is avalable in the Steam Wrokshop.

Adds the Space Core to Skyrim and, somehow, adds Wheatley to that skill selection screen in space. He just floats around sometimes.

Aand naybe this one when it's in a more finished state:
Be a Dragon : Skyrim Mod Reviews
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:00:01 AM by mikethor007 »
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet