Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176969 times)

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
We have "The Sims" plague over here. Piles of it in some stores due to unsold stock. Plus a load of old games that also didn't get sold. It's...pretty depressing really. We get really few real launches nowadays...

We have some The Sims stuff, but its usually new Sims 3 expansions, I remember a while back in australia there was The Sims Plague as well, it was everywhere, then disappeared 
...scum.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
We have some The Sims stuff, but its usually new Sims 3 expansions, I remember a while back in australia there was The Sims Plague as well, it was everywhere, then disappeared 
The local distribution partners may have a better selection showing on their sites, but that never translates to real games on the shelves. It's mostly Xbox, Ps3, wii stuff nowadays.

It's one of the reasons I changed over to digital.

Anyways, I'll start a Civ 5 game and then I'll see If I can get any decent screenshots...
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
it makes you god, seriously, war with UK, Castile and Hindustan at same time stuff
Hmmm...the last game I remember playing as the Holy Roman Empire was the Barbarossa's Crusade Campaign of Age of Empires II.

I played some pretty neat maps, too bad it always ended with Barbarossa drowning in the Saleph river...
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Canada doesn't have piles of a certain game unfortunately. We do have piles of old and used games, years old and usually low quality.
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
Canada doesn't have piles of a certain game unfortunately. We do have piles of old and used games, years old and usually low quality.
amazon is your friend

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
amazon is your friend

I'm beginning to think so too...
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
I'm beginning to think so too...
I order from there all the time and almost everything on the canadian site has the free super saving. Even with the free super shipping it says it will take 4-8 days after processing to ship, but it has always only taken 3 days max from browsing online to in my hands. Its super fast

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2012, 10:08:01 PM »
I order from there all the time and almost everything on the canadian site has the free super saving. Even with the free super shipping it says it will take 4-8 days after processing to ship, but it has always only taken 3 days max from browsing online to in my hands. Its super fast

So if I order online I save money? Intriguing...
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »
Okay, Sweden it is!

Lets go!
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 28, 2012, 04:53:28 AM »
Okay, Sweden it is!

Lets go!

Come on Huns, kick everyone's ass!
I'm back people...

Offline Deadeas

• gently-carress you.
    • Deadeas
    • Deadeas
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 28, 2012, 06:15:40 AM »
Keep in mind that Sweden's really a warmonger Civ, despite it'd diplomatic power. So go for conquest rather than friendship with most people you encounter, at least once you hit their special units.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:48 AM »
Well decided to give my British playthrough a break, and try out Prussia for a change.

Damn, playing Prussia is humbling. Started out fine, was able to amass a pretty large treasurey, so money wasn't much of a problem. Austria declared war on me, so I took Silesia off their hands, then Poland-Lithuiania took Prague from them and they sued for peace. During this time I made the mistake of declaring war on Sweden. I was able to capture Swedish-occupied Denmark, but then things started going downhill. First Sweden destroyed my only large navy, leaving them unchallenged in the Baltic and free to blockade my ports. Then I built a pretty decent army, with Hussars, Regiment of Horse, Grenadiers, 12-iber Artillery and Foot Infantry. I see that Sweden is sending an army to retake Copenhagen, so I send my army to intercept them. A bloody disaster, as they pulled a Tobbs maneuver and overwhelmed me with a mass of blue-uniformed infantry.

Now they're launching an assault on Copenhagen, and the only garrison I have is a bunch of militia, vs their now experienced regulars. I think I'm going to lose Copenhagen.

Still, I have a couple ships left and Brandenburg nearby. The Swedes might be the superior naval force, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I let them best Prussia on land. :P
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »
Well decided to give my British playthrough a break, and try out Prussia for a change.

Damn, playing Prussia is humbling. Started out fine, was able to amass a pretty large treasurey, so money wasn't much of a problem. Austria declared war on me, so I took Silesia off their hands, then Poland-Lithuiania took Prague from them and they sued for peace. During this time I made the mistake of declaring war on Sweden. I was able to capture Swedish-occupied Denmark, but then things started going downhill. First Sweden destroyed my only large navy, leaving them unchallenged in the Baltic and free to blockade my ports. Then I built a pretty decent army, with Hussars, Regiment of Horse, Grenadiers, 12-iber Artillery and Foot Infantry. I see that Sweden is sending an army to retake Copenhagen, so I send my army to intercept them. A bloody disaster, as they pulled a Tobbs maneuver and overwhelmed me with a mass of blue-uniformed infantry.

Now they're launching an assault on Copenhagen, and the only garrison I have is a bunch of militia, vs their now experienced regulars. I think I'm going to lose Copenhagen.

Still, I have a couple ships left and Brandenburg nearby. The Swedes might be the superior naval force, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I let them best Prussia on land. :P
Don't lose hope on Copenhagen. I remember once when I played as the Marathans before I understood the game, and one of my cities got attacked by the Mughals. They had 2000 men with elephants and everything, and I had 300 peasants. And I won a crushing victory.

Also, you gotta know how to build up your army. About half should be infantry, between four and six units artillery, max two grenadier units, and then between two and four units of cavalry. I always use that buildup, and it works perfectly for me.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
Don't lose hope on Copenhagen. I remember once when I played as the Marathans before I understood the game, and one of my cities got attacked by the Mughals. They had 2000 men with elephants and everything, and I had 300 peasants. And I won a crushing victory.

Also, you gotta know how to build up your army. About half should be infantry, between four and six units artillery, max two grenadier units, and then between two and four units of cavalry. I always use that buildup, and it works perfectly for me.

Thought I already understood it, but I'll take the advice.

Also, lost Copenhagen, retook it and gave it back to the Danes. Going to turn my attention now between the rather fierce war between Saxony and Hanover. Seven battles in all and neither of them have gained anything, though it looks like Poland-Lithuiania is preparing to intervene on Saxony's behalf, seeing as they're a protectorate. Gotta consider carefully which side I choose as well, go against Hanover and I'm likely to have Britain come after me, go after Saxony and I'll have the Poles to consider. Poland-Lithuiania is the more immediate threat, having a large land army and also being one of my biggest trade partners. Britain on the other hand, can make my life miserable in the long run by ransacking my trade, even worse than the Swedes. I also happen to have good relations with both Saxony and Hanover, though more so with Hanover. I also have trading relations with both, and with the Swedish blockade and expensive army upkeep, revenue is an important factor.
I'm back people...

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »
Welp, my war with Sweden is over. After pondering what to do, I retook Copenhagen from the Danes, which caused Russia to declare war on me. Fortunately though, with Danish ports I was able to build up a sizeable fleet and remove the Swedish blockade, freeing my trading port and returning some much needed revenue. After that I rebuilt one of my reduced armies, and seeing as how Sweden was also at war with Russia, I took pity on them and captured Stockholm to prevent the horror of the Russians taking over. What can I say, I can be a softie at times. :P

After that, I requested and got peace from Sweden, who only has Norway now and practically no army left. The people of Stockholm however have not shown a lot of gratitude for me conquering them, which hurts my poor Canadian heart, so I'm going to have to ruthlessly crush any rebellion and raise taxes alas.

After getting peace from Sweden, Denmark also agreed to peace as well as Russia, though Russia bargained for some agricultural technologies in exchange for peace and explosive shell technology. Now my primary concern is Poland-Lithuiania, who has conquered most of Austria, leaving me almost surrounded by them. With my trade no longer under a blockade, I should be able to handle the loss of trade income from Saxony and Poland-Lithuiania during a war, which I see as inevitable at some point. Also France was destroyed by Austria and Quebec gained independence...and its my fervent hope the British conquer them. :P
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 01, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »
Welp, my war with Sweden is over. After pondering what to do, I retook Copenhagen from the Danes, which caused Russia to declare war on me. Fortunately though, with Danish ports I was able to build up a sizeable fleet and remove the Swedish blockade, freeing my trading port and returning some much needed revenue. After that I rebuilt one of my reduced armies, and seeing as how Sweden was also at war with Russia, I took pity on them and captured Stockholm to prevent the horror of the Russians taking over. What can I say, I can be a softie at times. :P

After that, I requested and got peace from Sweden, who only has Norway now and practically no army left. The people of Stockholm however have not shown a lot of gratitude for me conquering them, which hurts my poor Canadian heart, so I'm going to have to ruthlessly crush any rebellion and raise taxes alas.

After getting peace from Sweden, Denmark also agreed to peace as well as Russia, though Russia bargained for some agricultural technologies in exchange for peace and explosive shell technology. Now my primary concern is Poland-Lithuiania, who has conquered most of Austria, leaving me almost surrounded by them. With my trade no longer under a blockade, I should be able to handle the loss of trade income from Saxony and Poland-Lithuiania during a war, which I see as inevitable at some point. Also France was destroyed by Austria and Quebec gained independence...and its my fervent hope the British conquer them. :P
Somehow, Poland-Lithuania always seems to obliterate the Austrians whenever I play, and they just spread over a large area, sometimes reaching to France, and they're a bitch to get rid of. But you should try to get help from the Ottomans against the Russians. Those two don't really like each other.

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
Somehow, Poland-Lithuania always seems to obliterate the Austrians whenever I play, and they just spread over a large area, sometimes reaching to France, and they're a bitch to get rid of. But you should try to get help from the Ottomans against the Russians. Those two don't really like each other.
That's odd. Poland-Lithuania always seem to get their asses kicked by Prussia and Austria in my games. For example, it's almost like a rule that Prussia conquers Gdansk/Danzig within the first 10 turns or so.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
That's odd. Poland-Lithuania always seem to get their asses kicked by Prussia and Austria in my games. For example, it's almost like a rule that Prussia conquers Gdansk/Danzig within the first 10 turns or so.
Austria is completely incompetent every time I play, and they always get conquered by Prussia or Poland-Lithuania very quickly.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
Well things have certainly got interesting. After a period of peace and dealing with Swedish rebellions, Sweden was ultimately destroyed by a Norwegian uprising, so now Norway has replaced Sweden on the map. After all that I declared war on Poland-Lithuiania, though after Hanover finally conquered Saxony. The first thing I did was take West Prussia and unite my disparate territories. Then I moved my armies from Scandinavia to Europe and launched an offensive on Baravia and Prague, both Polish occupied, and conquered Poland-Lithuiania's western territories. Austria was fortunately able to retake Vienna and a couple other territories, so Poland-Lithuiania was mostly reduced back to its former territory. During all this I made alliances with Britain, Austria, Hanover, Ottoman Empire and the Dutch who were all also at war with Poland-Lithuiania. I've also made trade agreements with them and many other nations, so I'm able to maintain multiple large armies and a large fleet.

However Poland-Lithuiania didn't remain idle. They launched multiple raids into my territories, and while they all died, I've still had to spend hundreds on repairs. At one point they captured East Prussia and laid siege to West Prussia, but fortunately West Prussia was saved and East Prussia retaken. Wesphalia and Wurttemburg made the mistake of declaring war on me, so after much bloodshed I conquered Westphalia and am currently laying siege to Wurttemburg. During this entire time I managed to get one of my Generals to a nine-star level, and he has brought me many victories.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »
Well things have certainly got interesting. After a period of peace and dealing with Swedish rebellions, Sweden was ultimately destroyed by a Norwegian uprising, so now Norway has replaced Sweden on the map. After all that I declared war on Poland-Lithuiania, though after Hanover finally conquered Saxony. The first thing I did was take West Prussia and unite my disparate territories. Then I moved my armies from Scandinavia to Europe and launched an offensive on Baravia and Prague, both Polish occupied, and conquered Poland-Lithuiania's western territories. Austria was fortunately able to retake Vienna and a couple other territories, so Poland-Lithuiania was mostly reduced back to its former territory. During all this I made alliances with Britain, Austria, Hanover, Ottoman Empire and the Dutch who were all also at war with Poland-Lithuiania. I've also made trade agreements with them and many other nations, so I'm able to maintain multiple large armies and a large fleet.

However Poland-Lithuiania didn't remain idle. They launched multiple raids into my territories, and while they all died, I've still had to spend hundreds on repairs. At one point they captured East Prussia and laid siege to West Prussia, but fortunately West Prussia was saved and East Prussia retaken. Wesphalia and Wurttemburg made the mistake of declaring war on me, so after much bloodshed I conquered Westphalia and am currently laying siege to Wurttemburg. During this entire time I managed to get one of my Generals to a nine-star level, and he has brought me many victories.
What nation are you playing as again? I thought you were Great Britain.

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
Reading this he can only be Prussia.

Nice job on your conquests, I remember it was a bitch to beat poland.
I need to pick up ETW again... Fun times.....
Boo!

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »

My first playthrough is Great Britain, and my current playthrough is Prussia.

Reading this he can only be Prussia.

Nice job on your conquests, I remember it was a bitch to beat poland.
I need to pick up ETW again... Fun times.....

Still is, Poland-Lithuiania has put up one hell of a fight, and I've had to replace my militia garrisons with Regulars to protect against sieges. Combine that with my current land armies and my treasury is beginning to feel the pinch, any more armies and I'm going start going into the negatives in revenue.
I'm back people...

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 04, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
Here is my progres in a new game of Napoleon Total War.

This is the first time I try Prussia...

At the start of the game I stayed out of the big wars and annexed the small nations around me, but when I declared war on France this happened:

I didn't need anything else then artillery and a few units of light infantry to hold the centre. You should see their lines charging into the cannister shot meat grinder, it was glorious.... As a result I had more men in the flanks and enough cavalry to charge in their back as soon as their morale started to crumble...
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 04, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Here is my progres in a new game of Napoleon Total War.

This is the first time I try Prussia...

At the start of the game I stayed out of the big wars and annexed the small nations around me, but when I declared war on France this happened:

* le big-ass snip*
I didn't need anything else then artillery and a few units of light infantry to hold the centre. You should see their lines charging into the cannister shot meat grinder, it was glorious.... As a result I had more men in the flanks and enough cavalry to charge in their back as soon as their morale started to crumble...
Wait, wut? You lost 330 men, but the French only killed 193 enemies? Friendly fire much? :D