Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176888 times)

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »
Hmmm...wait a second. I'm thinking post-unification Canadian military. During the late 40's to 50's, Canada had one of the largest militaries in the world, somewhere along the lines of third largest airforce and fourth largest navy. It wasn't until the Trudeau-era (60's-70's) that the military was castrated by the Liberals. So if the game starts in 1947, then things could become very interesting with Canada...
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
USSR was formally dissolved in December of 1991
It took three years? Seriously?

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
Hmmm...wait a second. I'm thinking post-unification Canadian military. During the late 40's to 50's, Canada had one of the largest militaries in the world, somewhere along the lines of third largest airforce and fourth largest navy. It wasn't until the Trudeau-era (60's-70's) that the military was castrated by the Liberals. So if the game starts in 1947, then things could become very interesting with Canada...
Why do your Liberals pick on the military so much? Is that what they do over there or something?

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
It took three years? Seriously?

Yup, 1989-1991. Takes awhile for a whole institution like the USSR to collapse like it did.
I'm back people...

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 20, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »
Are you kidding, mikethor could do more with Brazil than I with Canada. Even today the Brazilian military is better equipped and larger than the Canadian Forces...
Brazil is strong today. It's name appears next to the likes of India and China for a good reason with its economical growth. But back then... As far as I know, Brazil's situation wasn't as ideal, but like I have said before, Brazil's history is one of the weakest areas of knowlege I have with history.

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
Yup, 1989-1991. Takes awhile for a whole institution like the USSR to collapse like it did.
There were hopes and negotiations of reforming the USSR into Union of Sovereing States http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Sovereign_States
The August Coup attempt of 1991 by the hard-liners ruined the chances of this plan though, and therefore, any hope of saving the USSR.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
Why do your Liberals pick on the military so much? Is that what they do over there or something?

Idealism mainly. Trudeau started the idea that Canadian soldiers should be peacekeeprs, instead of soldiers. The Liberals want Canada to be a peace loving, anti-war nation. So they reflect those ideals by reducing the military to its bare bones, figuring if anything happened the US would protect us. The excrementty thing is that the population caught on to Trudeau's misguided ideals, so there's not a whole lot of support for the military. Fortunately with the Conservatives in power they're trying to undo that damage, and restore some pride for the armed forces.
I'm back people...

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 20, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »
There were hopes and negotiations of reforming the USSR into Union of Sovereing States http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Sovereign_States
The August Coup attempt of 1991 by the hard-liners ruined the chances of this plan though, and therefore, any hope of saving the USSR.

I remember that. It was supposed to be a more open and looser form of the USSR. When the August Coup happened it completely discredited the entire Union government. I think it was a Yuri Andropov who took advantage of the situation and declared Russia to be independent of the USSR...which killed it essentially.
I'm back people...

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 20, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
Brazil is strong today. It's name appears next to the likes of India and China for a good reason with its economical growth. But back then... As far as I know, Brazil's situation wasn't as ideal, but like I have said before, Brazil's history is one of the weakest areas of knowlege I have with history.

Yeah, like I said I was thinking post-1968 unification of the military. 40's to 50's was the heyday of the military.
I'm back people...

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 20, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »
I remember that. It was supposed to be a more open and looser form of the USSR. When the August Coup happened it completely discredited the entire Union government. I think it was a Yuri Andropov who took advantage of the situation and declared Russia to be independent of the USSR...which killed it essentially.
General Secretary Andropov died in 1984. It was Boris Yeltsin who seized power in Moscow's political institutions after the August Coup, as he was in a primary role in defeating it.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
Idealism mainly. Trudeau started the idea that Canadian soldiers should be peacekeeprs, instead of soldiers. The Liberals want Canada to be a peace loving, anti-war nation. So they reflect those ideals by reducing the military to its bare bones, figuring if anything happened the US would protect us. The excrementty thing is that the population caught on to Trudeau's misguided ideals, so there's not a whole lot of support for the military. Fortunately with the Conservatives in power they're trying to undo that damage, and restore some pride for the armed forces.
Hmm...I'm going to start with Canada here. I'm having kinda mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think Canada should make themselves noticed and not just sit in the shadow of the US. On the other hand, I don't like the United States' warring ways, and I think the world would feel better with less war and more hippy peace lovin'.

And onto Sweden, where it seems the Liberals are not like the ones you know of. Over here the Liberals just don't give a excrement about the military most of the time. Both Conservatives and Liberals here want us to participate in UN operations, which I honestly don't mind. And now I will stop speaking before I start rambling.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
General Secretary Andropov died in 1984. It was Boris Yeltsin who seized power in Moscow's political institutions after the August Coup, as he was in a primary role in defeating it.

Right, knew I got the name mixed up.
I'm back people...

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 20, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
Finland's military has recieved some cuts as of recent due to the global economic situation. Not that it bothers me. Our military isn't in that good condition or prepared for modern war IMHO, and I don't see it as that useful anymore. We try to be more like the "Peace keeping superpower" these days, and we have alot of peace keepers all over the world. Rather lot for our tiny size.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 20, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »
Hmm...I'm going to start with Canada here. I'm having kinda mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think Canada should make themselves noticed and not just sit in the shadow of the US. On the other hand, I don't like the United States' warring ways, and I think the world would feel better with less war and more hippy peace lovin'.

And onto Sweden, where it seems the Liberals are not like the ones you know of. Over here the Liberals just don't give a excrement about the military most of the time. Both Conservatives and Liberals here want us to participate in UN operations, which I honestly don't mind. And now I will stop speaking before I start rambling.

Never said I agreed with US foreign policy. Its just that our military has been so reduced we can't even defend the country anymore. Then again that appears to be the case with most NATO militaries these days. We could do more with a larger CF, gain back some respect and contribute more to NATO. As for the UN I personally think the whole organization should be disbanded, it's just become one huge failure.

Hmmm, by not give a excrement do you mean they just ignore your military?

Back on-topic, I think I'd get Canada to expand in the Caribbean, before getting more involved with other world affairs.
I'm back people...

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 20, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
Finland's military has recieved some cuts as of recent due to the global economic situation. Not that it bothers me. Our military isn't in that good condition or prepared for modern war IMHO, and I don't see it as that useful anymore. We try to be more like the "Peace keeping superpower" these days, and we have alot of peace keepers all over the world. Rather lot for our tiny size.

So you're the ones that took our spot! :P

Well feel free to keep it, less Canadian peacekeepers means more Canadian soldiers. :P
I'm back people...

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 20, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »

Well feel free to keep it, less Canadian peacekeepers means more Canadian soldiers. :P
And like I said, our military is not the most prepared one when it come to military. Not that I care about it, as I consider Finnish military to be innefficent for its purpose in any case. :P

Also. our security has improved a lot since the fall of the USSR, so need for the military is not as large as before.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 20, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
Idealism mainly. Trudeau started the idea that Canadian soldiers should be peacekeeprs, instead of soldiers.
It's basically what I think our military forces are. I still think that we're ill equipped to fight any sort of real war.
We have troops, but that's it.

Armor, as in tanks, is old. Ships are old, and the biggest we have are frigates and corvettes, plus we only have ONE carrier. Subs aren't much.

Similar situation in our airforce. Most of our hardware was used previously.

We're in a similar situation to Canada. Our hardware is growing old, and the politicians are sometimes deliberately keeping it that way. It may happen that someday Venezuela gets something far better than us due to oil commerce and then who knows what will happen.

"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 20, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
Never said I agreed with US foreign policy. Its just that our military has been so reduced we can't even defend the country anymore. Then again that appears to be the case with most NATO militaries these days. We could do more with a larger CF, gain back some respect and contribute more to NATO. As for the UN I personally think the whole organization should be disbanded, it's just become one huge failure.

Hmmm, by not give a excrement do you mean they just ignore your military?

Back on-topic, I think I'd get Canada to expand in the Caribbean, before getting more involved with other world affairs.
Maybe Sweden made a good call in not joining NATO, then. Still, our politicians are constantly trying to find easier ways to kiss NATO's ass, so I don't know how that will turn out. And yes, the UN is a big fiasco, and accidentally got it mixed up with EU in my head. We have operations in EU.

And by not giving a excrement I mean they leave the military as it is and doesn't make any changes whatsoever. And that's just fine by me - we've got a pretty good military for such a small country population-wise.

On topic, I think you should take Alaska from the Yanks sometime. The map will look much better then 8)

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 20, 2012, 08:56:38 PM »
It's basically what I think our military forces are. I still think that we're ill equipped to fight any sort of real war.

Armor, as in tanks, is old. Ships are old, and the biggest we have are frigates and corvettes, plus we only have ONE carrier. Subs aren't much.

We're in a similar situation to Canada. Our hardware is growing old, and the politicians are sometimes deliberately keeping it that way. It may happen that someday Venezuela gets something far better than us due to oil commerce and then who knows what will happen.

I should mention that Canada doesn't have any Carriers whatsoever. And you guys still have working submarines, we managed to break all of ours. :P

But yeah, I can see where your coming from. We need a bigger, more motivated and harder-edged military. The Canadian military is actually required to be politically correct. They're not even allowed to use live ammo during training anymore, you know for shooting over our heads. Its depressing to the extreme.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »

Exactly what do you plan to do with those soldiers? Invade Russia?

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2012, 10:20:01 PM »

What do I hope the government will do with the extra manpower, you mean? I hope they'll increase Canada's presence on the world stage, decrease our reliance on the US and expand our usefulness with NATO.

Maybe Sweden made a good call in not joining NATO, then. Still, our politicians are constantly trying to find easier ways to kiss NATO's ass, so I don't know how that will turn out. And yes, the UN is a big fiasco, and accidentally got it mixed up with EU in my head. We have operations in EU.

And by not giving a excrement I mean they leave the military as it is and doesn't make any changes whatsoever. And that's just fine by me - we've got a pretty good military for such a small country population-wise.

On topic, I think you should take Alaska from the Yanks sometime. The map will look much better then 8)

NATO doesn't actually have anything to do with the decreasing military strength. By NATO militaries I was just generally referring to the West. NATO would actually be overjoyed if all the member-states started building up their military strength.

Sweden is actually being smart with chumming up to NATO, without actually joining it. Being neutral may mean you don't have enemies, but you won't have friends either. So Sweden is making sure they have friends still.  ;)

Oh believe me, taking Alaska will be on the agenda for my planned Canadian superpower. 8)
I'm back people...

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
Mandatory Military service actually would be a good policy. 2 years.

The extra recruits could do work for their respective governments, it would provide young adults with Jobs, there for decreasing unemployment and productivity of the Nation. They would be fixing roads, building roads, building schools and other buildings, and be a general boon.

Germany and a couple other countries do this, and they seem to have the lowest Unemployment ratings.....

I was thinking this is an awesome idea. Sadly to little to late for many.  My step mom talked about it and it does sound pretty smart.

I wonder if this is something that can be used in the massive strategy games.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »

The extra recruits could do work for their respective governments, it would provide young adults with Jobs, there for decreasing unemployment and productivity of the Nation. They would be fixing roads, building roads, building schools and other buildings, and be a general boon.

Germany and a couple other countries do this, and they seem to have the lowest Unemployment ratings.....

I was thinking this is an awesome idea. Sadly to little to late for many.  My step mom talked about it and it does sound pretty smart.

We had mandatory military service in Sweden for a long time. Then it stopped being mandatory, and two years ago it was removed all together. Now you must enlist in order to ever have the chance to learn how to shoot a gun not used for hunting. By what you said, it sounds like a bad idea. But my lazy side thinks its a really good idea.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »

You know, that would be an excellent idea in Canada. Except people here would see it as a violation of their so-called rights, warmongering and totalitarianism. One of the reasons why I despair over Canada's excessive liberal attitudes...but that's another discussion altogether.
I'm back people...

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »

Brazil is still a regional superpower, the fact that you have an aircraft carrier at all puts you in the top ten navies in the world.

As far as tanks go yes the Leopard Is and M60s are old but they're still good solid vehicles, unless you're planning on taking on Abrams or Leo IIs you're fine in that regard, the only place you might be lacking in a bit is air force, but even then thats not bad 
...scum.