Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176920 times)

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #775 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
"Them" are the Mongols. I thought that was obvious :P

It was, I was just playing with words. :P
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 19, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »
So I've been playing the Elder Kings mod for CKII for a little while now, and I love it so far. It's a total overhaul mod that plays out in the Elder Scrolls world during the second era, and Tamriel is split into countless little warring states. You can play as any of these states you want, and conquer all of Tamriel and Akavir, and can even conquer the Draugr in Atmora and the Maormer of Pyandonea. And you have almost 2000 years to do it :sorcerer:

So here is my campaign. Since Argonians are my favourite race in TES, I found it natural to play as a nation in Black Marsh :)

So I'm currently playing as High King Mahei 'the Iron Hand' of Argonia, which was unified by his father, High Chief Ilas-Tei of Archein, who unfortunately got known as 'the Naughty'. I forgot to take a screenshot during that time, so this will have to do. So currently, all that is left in my way for a unified Argonia is the conquest of the tribe Sarpa and a war against the Dunmer of Morrowind. Then I plan on either conquering Nibenay or Elsweyr.

A nice addition in this mod is the "Warlord" trait which allows you to declare war against any neighbouring nations and annex all occupied territories if you win. It allows for quick expansion as long as you have enough people to fill up the conquered land as vassals :)

Keep calm and move along.

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 20, 2013, 05:36:04 AM »
and a war against the Dunmer of Morrowind.

You can try n'wah, but you will fail

But seriously, that looks like an awesome mod
...scum.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
You can try n'wah, but you will fail

But seriously, that looks like an awesome mod
It's still in beta, so some details are missing like icons and descriptions, but otherwise the mod actually has more functions than the vanilla game. For example, you can choose as plot that you want to seduce someone :sorcerer:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?624367-MOD-Elder-Kings-a-CK2-Elder-Scrolls-mod
Here's the page for the mod, but you gotta be registered on the site and have CKII registered on your account in order to be able to view it.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 20, 2013, 06:35:04 AM »
By the way, if you have ruler designer DLC - there is no penalty in age for adding new traits and making your character better like there is in the vanilla, so you can exploit the hell out of that.

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: June 20, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
555AD

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 21, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »
555AD

I still see other nations on that map PMorgan. Why haven't you destroyed them yet?
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 21, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
I still see other nations on that map PMorgan. Why haven't you destroyed them yet?
He hasn't used that thing I posted yet. :P
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »

So High King Mahei the Iron Hand died of stress at age 77, with no children to take the throne. The title was thus passed on to his younger brother, Saliith. The Kingdom of Argonia was immediately launched into a period of political instability, as just about none of Saliith's vassals are loyal to him. Saliith's son and heir, Tim-Jush, is an incompetent drunkard and his son, Teem-La, is equally incompetent. There are three dangerous factions within the realm, one seeking independence for the tribe of Paatru, one demanding a lowering of crown authority in the kingdom, and one loyal to Teem-La. If they all revolt at the same time, I seriously don't know if I can defeat them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:38:17 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 22, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »

So High King Mahei the Iron Hand died of stress at age 77, with no children to take the throne. The title was thus passed on to his younger brother, Saliith. The Kingdom of Argonia was immediately launched into a period of political instability, as just about none of Saliith's vassals are loyal to him. Saliith's son and heir, Tim-Jush, is an incompetent drunkard and his son, Teem-La, is equally incompetent. There are three dangerous factions within the realm, one seeking independence for the tribe of Paatru, one demanding a lowering of crown authority in the kingdom, and one loyal to Teem-La. If they all revolt at the same time, I seriously don't know if I can defeat them.

I don't know if the game mechanics work in this way, but in times of domestic instability, having a common enemy has been used to great effect in national unity.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
I don't know if the game mechanics work in this way, but in times of domestic instability, having a common enemy has been used to great effect in national unity.
There's no mechanic for that that I know of. Going to war in this game does not make your vassals more loyal to you, as it is completely based on their opinion of you, and the less your vassals like you, the less levies they will give you in your war effort. But fortunately, vassals get quite a large bonus in opinion if you crush a major rebellion, such as when a faction revolts.

Which just happened. The 'independence' faction and the one loyal to Teem-La revolted at just about the same time, so I am literally fighting half of my vassals right now. Fortunately, my steward randomly found lotsa munies while surveying a province, so I can hire a couple of thousand mercenaries :sorcerer:

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
There's no mechanic for that that I know of. Going to war in this game does not make your vassals more loyal to you, as it is completely based on their opinion of you, and the less your vassals like you, the less levies they will give you in your war effort. But fortunately, vassals get quite a large bonus in opinion if you crush a major rebellion, such as when a faction revolts.

Which just happened. The 'independence' faction and the one loyal to Teem-La revolted at just about the same time, so I am literally fighting half of my vassals right now. Fortunately, my steward randomly found lotsa munies while surveying a province, so I can hire a couple of thousand mercenaries :sorcerer:

I think it will be best to surrender to lover crown rebels when they rise against you. I don't think you'll be able to fight 3 rebbelions.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 22, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »
I think it will be best to surrender to lover crown rebels when they rise against you. I don't think you'll be able to fight 3 rebbelions.
Probably. And it's the easiest to fix later on with the next monarch.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 22, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
And so, at age 88, High King Saliith, who also got known as "the Iron Hand" died of an old wound. Since both his son Tim-Jush and his grandson Teem-La had died in the long civil war that wiped out almost half the Argonian nobility, the crown was left over to Saliith's grandson Beem-Kiurz. Beem-Kiurz was quite popular among the nobles, partly because he's such a good lad, and partly because almost everyone who had been disloyal are dead. So I decided that now was the time to claim the last piece of land that was needed for a completely united Argonia, the one that had for many years been held in the grasp of the Dunmer.

Now this here is a real challenge. Morrowind has twice as many levies as I do, with 22K Dunmer vs 11K Argonians. I can't defeat them in a direct confrontation, that I know. But I'm planning on using my own homeland to my advantage. There are several provinces in my lands struck by severe famine, with supplies only able to support 100 men. If I can lure the Dunmer into those provinces and make them stay there for a few months, they will drop like flies and I'll be able to move in with my armies to give the coup de grace. No idea if this will work, but what the hell, let's give it a try.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:55:49 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 22, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Holy excrement it actually worked. Since the bit of land I wanted was still in Black Marsh even though it belonged to the Dunmer, their armies started falling apart just as much when they tried defending the land as when trying to occupy my land, as many of us know how dangerous Black Marsh is for non-Argonians.

The finest moment was when a Dunmer army of 12,000 men moved into Chasecreek, which is the closest famine-plagued province. In three months, their numbers had dropped by 89%, solely due to hunger and disease. Don't mess with Black Marsh.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 22, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
Well, I have now gotten the Warlord perk for my monarch, which enables me to invade any of my neighbours and take all land that is occupied during the war, assuming that I win. So I declared war against Nibenay to take some southwestern territory which will allow me to walk into Elsweyr. And then I noticed that the Knahaten Flu had broken loose, and is laying waste to dynasties and armies throughout Tamriel.

Fun fact: Argonians are immune to diseases.

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 23, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
Still have 1500 years to go.  There is time and I like to observe.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 24, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »
I just realized that VicII really isn't a fair game. Really, unless you're playing as Great Britain, France, Prussia, or the US, you can't get that far at all. My Scandinavian empire is the seventh great power in the world, but my military is laughable because I simply didn't have a big population from the very start. I can't attack any country now because they are either too far away or they are protected by one of the great powers, and I can't defeat any of the great powers.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »
I just realized that VicII really isn't a fair game. Really, unless you're playing as Great Britain, France, Prussia, or the US, you can't get that far at all. My Scandinavian empire is the seventh great power in the world, but my military is laughable because I simply didn't have a big population from the very start. I can't attack any country now because they are either too far away or they are protected by one of the great powers, and I can't defeat any of the great powers.

Colonies, that's all I have to say. I'm able to get to the third place with the Netherlands because of Indonesia.

If you start without any you need to take over some uncivilized nations before the big 8 sphere or conquer them, I advise southwest Asia. They have weak countries but large amounts of manpower.
Boo!

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 24, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »

Annex Brunei, always annex Brunei

Also, depending on what expansions you are running building a gently-carresston of dreadnoughts will shoot your military score so high you'll skyrocket to top 4
...scum.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: June 24, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »
Colonies, that's all I have to say. I'm able to get to the third place with the Netherlands because of Indonesia.

If you start without any you need to take over some uncivilized nations before the big 8 sphere or conquer them, I advise southwest Asia. They have weak countries but large amounts of manpower.
Annex Brunei, always annex Brunei

Also, depending on what expansions you are running building a gently-carresston of dreadnoughts will shoot your military score so high you'll skyrocket to top 4
I'm running on Heart of Darkness. And I can't follow either advice for these reasons: I can't build any large amount of ships because I don't have enough money, because I started with a tiny industry so I make like 100 pounds per month. Also, I don't have the technology to build dreadnoughts. Best I can build are commerce raiders. And colonies are impossible for me for two reasons: first, because everything is either too far away or already taken and two, I can only colonize places with a life rating of 25, but it's 15 everywhere.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 24, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
I'm running on Heart of Darkness. And I can't follow either advice for these reasons: I can't build any large amount of ships because I don't have enough money, because I started with a tiny industry so I make like 100 pounds per month. Also, I don't have the technology to build dreadnoughts. Best I can build are commerce raiders. And colonies are impossible for me for two reasons: first, because everything is either too far away or already taken and two, I can only colonize places with a life rating of 25, but it's 15 everywhere.
You only need two wooden transports to conquer a nation like Brunei.
Boo!

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 24, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

What year is it? Colonizing doesn't really come online for people who aren't britain or USA until the late 19th century, once you have machine guns and one of the govt techs then you can pretty much colonize anywhere. I don't know about now but here a little exploit I used to get into africa. Research the techs to build the suez canal, I think any GP can do it, that gives you a naval base in Africa, and once you build it up you can colonize the horn of africa and then into the Interior. Thats how I built the great African American Empire

You only need two wooden transports to conquer a nation like Brunei.

Also this
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:57:50 PM by SirEmilCrane »
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 25, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
What year is it? Colonizing doesn't really come online for people who aren't britain or USA until the late 19th century, once you have machine guns and one of the govt techs then you can pretty much colonize anywhere. I don't know about now but here a little exploit I used to get into africa. Research the techs to build the suez canal, I think any GP can do it, that gives you a naval base in Africa, and once you build it up you can colonize the horn of africa and then into the Interior. Thats how I built the great African American Empire

You disappoint me Crane.
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
You disappoint me Crane.
Down with the marmalade! Down with crumpets! Ditch the tea onto the sea!

:P
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet