Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 121954 times)

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2014, 03:27:12 AM »
I can sum up the reason why SAO is hated/loved alot in three words: Asspulls the animation. It's excrement-tier writing that could be a lot better if the author laid off the asspulls and did something that didn't involve making the MC into a bigger Gary Stu. I don't care much for SAO, but I'm on the side of it being bad.
At least you didn't attack me liking the show like some other places I've been to when I said I liked it.

But yeah. I think the main reason that I like SAO is that its a show which says it has romance in it, that actually goes somewhere. I'm personally tired of watching shows where it proclaims to be a romance, but either devolves into a harem that goes nowhere, has a main character is an utter idiot who can't even pick up on the most basic clues, or ends up with nothing have progressed.

Then the Gary Stu-ness doesn't actually bother me, I've been trying a bunch of shows out lately where the main characters are designed as Gary Stu's and it feels like a breath of fresh air compared to most characters I've seen up till now which can either do something awesome, but is too much of a whiny bitch to bother, is totally useless or can only do something when plot allows it.

Put those two together, the addicting soundtrack (which I've been listening to nonstop since I finished season 1), and the fact that its the first show I've marathoned since I've started to branch out and try some different stuff and it kind of makes sense to why I enjoy it. Your animation complaint is interesting though, considering that's the one thing I'm seeing people actually agree on was good.

I will say though, I can see some of the flaws of the show, and I don't think its the best thing since sliced bread like some of the hardcore fans I've seen. I just don't think it deserves the "This show is like Hitler" (I'm not even gently-carressing kidding, I've seen this comparison waaay to many times already) reputation it gets.

Having seen both Log Horizon and SAO now, I found that I enjoyed them both for their own reasons. In some regards I found SAO better, and in others Log Horizon better, but they are both amazing shows to watch.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:31:51 AM by killer rin »

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 17, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
At least you didn't attack me liking the show like some other places I've been to when I said I liked it.

But yeah. I think the main reason that I like SAO is that its a show which says it has romance in it, that actually goes somewhere. I'm personally tired of watching shows where it proclaims to be a romance, but either devolves into a harem that goes nowhere, has a main character is an utter idiot who can't even pick up on the most basic clues, or ends up with nothing have progressed.

Then the Gary Stu-ness doesn't actually bother me, I've been trying a bunch of shows out lately where the main characters are designed as Gary Stu's and it feels like a breath of fresh air compared to most characters I've seen up till now which can either do something awesome, but is too much of a whiny bitch to bother, is totally useless or can only do something when plot allows it.

Put those two together, the addicting soundtrack (which I've been listening to nonstop since I finished season 1), and the fact that its the first show I've marathoned since I've started to branch out and try some different stuff and it kind of makes sense to why I enjoy it. Your animation complaint is interesting though, considering that's the one thing I'm seeing people actually agree on was good.

I will say though, I can see some of the flaws of the show, and I don't think its the best thing since sliced bread like some of the hardcore fans I've seen. I just don't think it deserves the "This show is like Hitler" (I'm not even gently-carressing kidding, I've seen this comparison waaay to many times already) reputation it gets.

Having seen both Log Horizon and SAO now, I found that I enjoyed them both for their own reasons. In some regards I found SAO better, and in others Log Horizon better, but they are both amazing shows to watch.

What I mean by "Asspull the animation" is basically everything that benefits Kirito comes out of nowhere. He gets killed but suddenly becomes some super ghost demon virtual super fighter thing that defeats antagonist of the SAO world without any explanation(will power doesn't count). Then in the new games he explores like ALO and GGO and retains his strength from SAO due to a 'glitch'. I mean come on, that is some excrementty writing. Also, Asuna, who is supposed to be powerful like Kirito, becomes a damsel in distress. I guess she didn't get the 'glitch' either. Sloppy, inconsistent writing that I think belongs more on fanfiction.net than in an animation studio who could be using their money on a more worthy project. Though I do find it funny is that Accel World got animated first.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 17, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »
What I mean by "Asspull the animation" is basically everything that benefits Kirito comes out of nowhere. He gets killed but suddenly becomes some super ghost demon virtual super fighter thing that defeats antagonist of the SAO world without any explanation(will power doesn't count). Then in the new games he explores like ALO and GGO and retains his strength from SAO due to a 'glitch'. I mean come on, that is some excrementty writing. Also, Asuna, who is supposed to be powerful like Kirito, becomes a damsel in distress. I guess she didn't get the 'glitch' either. Sloppy, inconsistent writing that I think belongs more on fanfiction.net than in an animation studio who could be using their money on a more worthy project. Though I do find it funny is that Accel World got animated first.
Wait, so you did like Accel World though...right?
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #553 on: May 18, 2014, 12:48:54 AM »

Ah, so you meant animation as story-wise instead of visual-wise. I can agree on those. Ghost Kirito I was waiting for an explanation for and felt like they dropped the ball when it didn't come. Though If I was going to guess, it would probably be described that the antagonist of SAO ended up respecting Kirito for his strength, but even then; They probably could have pulled it off better if they say had Kirito die, but through one of his lingering attacks, caused the antagonist to bleed out and the game end before the NerveGear got around to frying Asuna and Kiroto's brain, put together with their usual ritual they did whenever a character died (slow down the action, sad music, ect) to make people think he actually died before wheeling him out in the world-destruction scene.

I personally found the explanation of the 'glitch' which causes Kirito to keep his stats adequate enough (not the best, but if looked at from the right angle it sort of made sense) since ALO was described as a stolen copy of SAO where the world had been changed. Not to mention, if I had to guess I would also assume that ALOs antagonist probably tried to grab Kirito too, but either screwed up, or wasn't able to get to him before he logged out which would have resulted in a partial-half copy, which also explains why most of his items and skills were corrupted. Then he just forgot or never bother resetting them under the assumption that Kirito would have been too much of a chicken to go back into the Virtual World after SAO.

For Asuna though, Her not having her powers makes more sense than Kirito having his. I mean, if you were kidnapping someone in-game like that, of course you would manually go through and ensure that her stats were reset with her log out capability removed. I wouldn't be surprised if he, as the GM even changed her character Class to nothing to be extra sure that she couldn't get out. I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't have preferred if Asuna kicked the ALO antagonists ass though, but I essentially screamed out in joy when he got cut up in the real world. The good thing for Asuna though is that, from what I've heard, after the GGO arc in Season 2, the arc right after is dedicated to Asuna being a bad-ass in the real-world and in ALO.

I am hoping that Season 2 ends up better story-wise though. Since GGO is suppose to have another Death-is-Final scenario, it would give them a chance to try it over again.

How is Accel world? I haven't heard much about it other than it seemingly takes place 20 years after SAO and one of the Main Characters looks like the child of Asuna and Kirito. I'm planning on downloading it once my bandwidth resets next week. I would stream it like I usually do, though of course Hulu has to be a dick and grab an exclusive license for the Entire gently-carressing North American Market when they only serve one country.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:54:05 AM by killer rin »

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2014, 02:42:33 AM »
Wait, so you did like Accel World though...right?

Thought it was mediocre, but it could be worse. Prefer its own story to SAO currently

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #555 on: November 20, 2015, 06:33:17 AM »
So I just marathoned though both seasons of Spice and Wolf, and man do I wish I watched this sooner. It's really, really good. I actually just picked up the Manga and Light Novel so I can continue the story

Morgan, how come you never pushed this on me! :P

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 21, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
So I just marathoned though both seasons of Spice and Wolf, and man do I wish I watched this sooner. It's really, really good. I actually just picked up the Manga and Light Novel so I can continue the story

Morgan, how come you never pushed this on me! :P
I pushed it on everyone for like 6 months when I first watched it.  At least got Donut, Delta, and Mukora to watch it back on the Tali forum.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 25, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
I pushed it on everyone for like 6 months when I first watched it.  At least got Donut, Delta, and Mukora to watch it back on the Tali forum.

And I still have no reliable way to watch the vast majority of anime. Perhaps If I find a streaming site that accepts paypal payments...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:10:39 PM by mikethor007 »
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 26, 2015, 03:15:09 AM »
And I still have no realible way to watch the vast majority of anime. Perhaps If I find a streaming site that accepts paypal payments...
Or maybe even get a VPN.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:59 AM »
And I still have no reliable way to watch the vast majority of anime. Perhaps If I find a streaming site that accepts paypal payments...
watchcartoononline.com is what I use its free, and great if you use adblock.

Offline Mazder_Verhal

• I have a bad feeling about this...
    • http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031547390
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 15, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
watchcartoononline.com is what I use its free, and great if you use adblock.
Can confirm that this one is pretty damn good for all animation based stuff TBH.
Come look at my art.
Deviantart: http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://mazderverhal.tumblr.com/
Leave ideas or critiques or anything with me there or anywhere you can reach me. :)

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 16, 2016, 05:43:23 AM »
AHHHH ONE PIECE JUST GAVE AN AMAZING QUOTE~ Skip halfway through the video if you're interested in hearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdnQL9-eFi0

Basically, a malignant and war-profiteering pirate had been ruling over the kingdom with the approval of the world government because the pirate was the equivalent of a Privateer. The world government and by extension the Navy is said to be infallible justice, so the leader of the Navy (the angry guy who isn't blind on the other end with the cap) is angry at the guy in the purple robe (who's an Admiral) for admitting to the world (once the pirate king had been deposed) that it was the navy's fault that the guy was in power.

So, the angry guy goes "Your selfish actions dishonored the face of justice!"

The blind man replies, "If you don't want it dishonored, keep it close to you at all times! If we lose credibility by admitting fault, we didn't have any in the first place!"

It applies so well to politics, and government actions in general. People want the government to be infallible, but that's clearly impossible. But you have to go through leaps and hoops and bounds to get the government to ever admit to a single fault even if doing so is vital for the safety of the people (Flint, Michigan comes to mind). In the end, it takes a disaster to get the government to ever admit to anything.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"