Author Topic: Talk about your day  (Read 1565180 times)

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
Re: Talk about your day
« Reply #10000 on: February 14, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »
So.. I did a lot of fun stuff the last couple weeks. We started a new and awesome project with university, about two weeks ago we got two dead pigs, the various body parts had been assigned to different lab partners in an effort to isolate stem cells from all kinds of different places. Me and my partner got the most promising source, the bone marrow. And I'm pretty sure we've succeeded. Three days ago I put our culture under a microscope and found cells that look like stem cells, and seem to behave like stem cells!  :woot:

I heard from our supervising prof that a different (far more prestigious) university in the Netherlands started basically the same project at the same time as us, so we've even got something to compare our stuff to. For now we're optimizing the protocols for the culture, growth and isolation of stem cells for our own school laboratory. But if we do this right the prof can let next years project group build upon what we're doing now, grow the cells easily from protocols and frozen reserves we've made for them. And they can start doing some truly awesome stuff.

Unfortunately there is also a big theoretical side to my course, and I still have to retake some tests I failed in my first year, if I fail them again now I'll be kicked out with absolutely nothing to show for the past two years of work. So that's pretty stressful, but I love this new project, and really hope I'll be able to ace the upcoming tests.

Aside from the last paragraph, everything sounds amazing Wise. Congrats on getting those stem cells. Also good luck when you go to retake those tests

Offline ChellieRawr

• The Garbage Queen sits on her rightful throne
    • xlovelycurex
    • ChellieRawr
    • Chellie Rawr
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10001 on: February 15, 2016, 12:43:15 AM »
Happy Valentine's Day guys~ love you all <3
ಥ‿ಥ :heart:

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #10002 on: February 15, 2016, 05:29:37 AM »
Happy Valentine's Day guys~ love you all <3
Happy Valentines Day Chellie :)

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: February 26, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »
Oh my god I just got the best mail of my life, I'm gently-carressing dying xD

You all remember my dog Kratos? The one who went around banging the whole neighbourhood? Bastard puppies everywhere in his wake? Well he died like half a year ago, but I just learned from someone who took home a puppy of his that his legacy lives on. One of Kratos' like ten thousand sons, a fellow named Hiro on Gotland, is apparently - you guessed it - banging the whole neighbourhood, leaving a trail of puppies in his wake. They have the exact same problem we had with Kratos. I am laughing my ass off over here, this is amazing :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:49:52 PM by Tobbs »

Keep calm and move along.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #10004 on: February 26, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »

You all remember my dog Kratos? The one who went around banging the whole neighbourhood? Bastard puppies everywhere in his wake? Well he died like half a year ago, but I just learned from someone who took home a puppy of his that his legacy lives on. One of Kratos' like ten thousand sons, a fellow named Hiro on Gotland, is apparently - you guessed it - banging the whole neighbourhood, leaving a trail of puppies in his wake. They have the exact same problem we had with Kratos. I am laughing my ass off over here, this is amazing :D
LMFAO. That's hilarious.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10005 on: February 27, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »

That is some rather irresponsible pet ownership going on over in sweden. Do they know what neutering is? I am sure they do. Funny none-the-less, but irresponsible.

Offline ChellieRawr

• The Garbage Queen sits on her rightful throne
    • xlovelycurex
    • ChellieRawr
    • Chellie Rawr
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10006 on: February 27, 2016, 07:09:43 AM »

Hump on little buddy, you are doin' your pop pop proud! Glad something funny came out of a generally sad loss.
ಥ‿ಥ :heart:

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: February 27, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
That is some rather irresponsible pet ownership going on over in sweden. Do they know what neutering is? I am sure they do. Funny none-the-less, but irresponsible.
Well Kratos wasn't neutered because he was ironically part of a breeding program - dobermans are rare here you see - but I don't know why this one isn't getting the chop-chops :b

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: April 02, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »
So I hit a car for the first time today. Decided to get into tabletop 40K, so I biked off to the local hobby shop and bought a starter pack of Tau. I guess the world didn't like that, 'cause on my way home I hit a car that suddenly appeared before me. Luckily, I slammed into the driver's door rather than flying over the hood or something, and fortunately it was I who hit the car and not the other way around. I ended up with just some scratches and a swollen pinky. The car got a dent, so I think it actually got of worse than I did. Then again, my bike got rekt and I now have a hole in my favorite pair of pants sadface :c
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:52:54 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: April 08, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »
So I hit a car for the first time today. Decided to get into tabletop 40K, so I biked off to the local hobby shop and bought a starter pack of Tau. I guess the world didn't like that, 'cause on my way home I hit a car that suddenly appeared before me. Luckily, I slammed into the driver's door rather than flying over the hood or something, and fortunately it was I who hit the car and not the other way around. I ended up with just some scratches and a swollen pinky. The car got a dent, so I think it actually got of worse than I did. Then again, my bike got rekt and I now have a hole in my favorite pair of pants sadface :c

Tau4life, Tobbs. Tau4life. Don't let the haters get you down, believe in their squishy alien philosophy (and long range firepower) to the end!
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #10010 on: April 08, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »

Ouch... Glad you are okay.

I almost had something like that happen to me, although in my case it resulted in me stopping in time but my phone flying out of my pocket and a 200$ repair bill because it skid a couple meters along the pavement resulting in a completely shattered screen

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10011 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
Tau4life, Tobbs. Tau4life. Don't let the haters get you down, believe in their squishy alien philosophy (and long range firepower) to the end!
Till the meta changes again and Melee get OP again.

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #10012 on: April 09, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
Aside from the last paragraph, everything sounds amazing Wise. Congrats on getting those stem cells. Also good luck when you go to retake those tests

Ok... Small update, I did ace that important test, so I won't be kicked out of university. My stem cells were lost by a fungal infection and several equipment failures but me and my partner salvaged our project and switched to growing cancer cells that kinda behaved like the stem cells. We somewhat managed to kinda validate some really interesting gene-expression results one of our professors published a paper on using these cells.

The last quarter of my school years looks a lot less busy and hectic, with a much smaller project to work on, so I should have some time to get re-invested in the Void, I'll read up on everything I've missed and post in the next couple days. Sorry for dropping out on you guys.  ;D
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
The Flightless Dutchman is back, aww yisss

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #10014 on: April 09, 2016, 11:30:11 PM »
Ok... Small update, I did ace that important test, so I won't be kicked out of university. My stem cells were lost by a fungal infection and several equipment failures but me and my partner salvaged our project and switched to growing cancer cells that kinda behaved like the stem cells. We somewhat managed to kinda validate some really interesting gene-expression results one of our professors published a paper on using these cells.

The last quarter of my school years looks a lot less busy and hectic, with a much smaller project to work on, so I should have some time to get re-invested in the Void, I'll read up on everything I've missed and post in the next couple days. Sorry for dropping out on you guys.  ;D

Thats awesome. Congratulations on acing your test. It's a shame about the stem cells though (Damn you Fungii!)

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #10015 on: April 20, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
So good news everybody. As of today I am officially a Government Employee at Statistics Canada for the 2016 Census ^.^

Really exciting since I applied for the position back in January and after I went in to do the written test + background check immediately afterwards I hadn't heard anything for two months making me think that I hadn't got the position, but I got a call a couple days ago and it turns out I did and training is going to start next week! :D

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10016 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:25 PM »
So good news everybody. As of today I am officially a Government Employee at Statistics Canada for the 2016 Census ^.^

Really exciting since I applied for the position back in January and after I went in to do the written test + background check immediately afterwards I hadn't heard anything for two months making me think that I hadn't got the position, but I got a call a couple days ago and it turns out I did and training is going to start next week! :D
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  ;D ;D ;D :teehee: :) :woot: :woot:

Congratulations Rin!
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: April 21, 2016, 09:00:52 PM »

So are you government agent Godfroy now? Do you get a fancy hat and sunglasses? .3.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #10018 on: April 21, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
So are you government agent Godfroy now? Do you get a fancy hat and sunglasses? .3.

Only the fanciest of hats and darkest of sunglasses :sorcerer:

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: April 21, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
Only the fanciest of hats and darkest of sunglasses :sorcerer:
amazing~

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #10020 on: April 21, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »

Sweet! Odd that it took so long before you heard back from them but nice anyway.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: April 25, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
Today I was reminded why language is funny. There is a place in western Sweden called "Hinsnoret", and today I learned the amusing history of its name. See, it's an old name, coming from a time when the Devil was commonly referred to as "Hin", which is basically a bending of the word "han" which means "him". Snor was the old spelling for snår, which means thicket. So the name literally means "Devil's thicket". Or at least it did. Today, "hinna" is the word for membrane, and the bending when used for something in relation to a membrane is "hinn". And snor today means snot. In short, the name changed meaning from "Devil's thicket" to basically "The membrane snot".

Language is funny.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »
Today I was reminded why language is funny. There is a place in western Sweden called "Hinsnoret", and today I learned the amusing history of its name. See, it's an old name, coming from a time when the Devil was commonly referred to as "Hin", which is basically a bending of the word "han" which means "him". Snor was the old spelling for snår, which means thicket. So the name literally means "Devil's thicket". Or at least it did. Today, "hinna" is the word for membrane, and the bending when used for something in relation to a membrane is "hinn". And snor today means snot. In short, the name changed meaning from "Devil's thicket" to basically "The membrane snot".

Language is funny.

Haha, interesting. Language can be pretty weird.
Boo!

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »
I am witnessing what I never thought would happen.

I am falling in love with the 40K universe.

40K.

There was never a sci fi universe I hated more.

I'm starting to love it.

And the Orks.

Oh my god the Orks.

They're amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxcq4I0kAo
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:29:08 PM by Tobbs »