Author Topic: The Bastion -- Parthernas.  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Godur

• View Profile
The Bastion -- Parthernas.
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »
Part one -- The  Misericorde.

The brig of the Misericorde is a dark and miserable place, cold and moist air clinging to every surface, and the steady creaking of wood and smell of saltwater, mixed with the acrid stench of human decay, as a constant reminder that you are at sea -- your destination the dreaded prison of Parthernas. 

Incoherent mumbles from an old man, and the sound of his rattling chains whenever he moves, can be heard; the sound of manacles attached to all of your wrists and ankles, made with materials to make spellcasting difficult and leave a bitter taste of metal in your mouthes whenever this is attempted.

A lantern, hanging far down a wooden corridor, is the only source of pale light that is barely enough to illuminate the confines of your cell, and the other prisoners sharing the small space. A young man is laying in a corner, sobbing and shielding his head, trembling and jumping at any sound out of what you now call ordinary.

In the darkness, somewhere further down the row of cells, you hear the heavy footsteps of a few knights, dragging someone witht hem across the wooden floor, and towards the empty cell next to yours. They shove the prisoner into the cell, and quickly close the door before leaving again. The prisoner is a young woman, pretty and small framed, and with strands of her long hair sticking to the bleeding wounds on her back. Her weak and trembling body instinctively curl up into a ball as soon as the knights are once again outof view.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Alright, so we have started. All PCs are in the same cell, and so long as you have the nulifiers I'll leave the exact manner of restrains to you.

There are three other people here, the two men in the same cell as yours; the elder who is talking to himself, and the jittery boy.
In the cell opposite there is the young lady, who looks like:

Only beaten and tortured. (And for obvious reasons not wearing a dress)
“The lesson is this - the game is rigged. The cards are stacked. The dice are loaded. And that’s why we don’t play their fragging game. We don’t swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It’s why we run the shadows…”

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
Re: The Bastion -- Parthernas.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
Leo Stratos looked around his cell, the chains keeping his hands bound nullifying his magic completely. He had already attempted to use either his fire or darkness magic around six times now, and was soon going to try a seventh. The others had seemingly noticed his attempts, but he payed them no heed; trying to concentrate his rage on getting free.

"Come on! This is gently-carressing ridiculous!" Leo thought in anger, trying a seventh time to use his fire magic; to no avail as the bitter taste of metal assaulted his tongue once more
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 05:56:52 AM »
Jameson Sheridan looked curiously at Leo Stratos as he made his attempts at escape. The poor man simply couldn't accept that they were well-shackled and beyond escape. Jameson had tried using his powers as well of course, but to no avail. The metal helmet hammered onto his head, coupled with the shackles on his hands and feet, rendered his mind and death powers completely inert. Jameson did not complain about his situation, as it was a fate well-deserved, and didn't bother much with the other male powers, as for all he knew they could have commited any number of heinous crimes. However he grew concerned when they brought in the women. Jameson looked closely at the young woman, noting her apparent fragility and sheer terror.

"What crimes has this women commited that caused her to be thrown in here?" wondered Jameson "Thievery? Adulturey? What? She looks like no criminal, why is she here? Why have they treated her so badly?".

Jameson may have not had much sympathy for the male prisoners, but he believed this women had been treated unjustly, and was seriously doubting she was a criminal of any sorts.

Jameson slid over to the side of the cell, and tried to talk to her, asking gently "Ma'am, what is your name?".
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
Samuel Frost sat silently in his cell, toying in boredom with a small piece of wood he had taken out of the wall. He had pain to focus on when the guards dragged him there, as they were not very gentle. But now everything was still, and only boredom was left, and it was the only thing he knew for sure. The rest was blended up in confusion. "Why am I here?"he thought. "Why did they throw me in here? This isn't the normal punishment for theft. It's as if I was some kind of murderer! Are these other murderers? Were we all imprisoned for something else? That girl doesn't look like a murderer. She doesn't look like a criminal at all. She's pretty, though, considering what she's gone through. It's going to be a long trip. It's so dark in here. Why can't I use my abilities? It must be these chains."he continued, never giving a real halt to his thoughts.

He saw a large man sliding over to the side of his cell before trying to talk to the girl. "He looks like a murderer. He's probably a murderer. I'm not a murderer. I shouldn't be here. Why is he talking to her? He's probably going to rape her or something. Act nice, then claim her as property once we reach wherever we're going. Or maybe he's..." Samuel didn't get further than that before he lost his focus on his thoughts and they began running rampant.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Thorsten, for all intents and purposes, looked like he was asleep on the back of the cell. Having noticed that his chains and manacles were very secure and also were doing quite a good job of blocking his magic, he didn't try to squirm, break or otherwise escape from them and the cell. He did notice, through occasional galnces, that the other prisoners seemed to be in quite similar situations. Chained, and thrown in a dark cell inside a ship, bound for a place that certainly wasn't an inn with good drink and beds. What really stood out of place was the woman being thrown into another cell. Either she was locked up here for the same reason Throsten was, or perhaps for another sort of crime, or...he stopped his thoughts in their tracks, noticing that overanalizing the situation was not going to help him get his freedom back.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
The young woman groan from the agony sending tremors through her back as she force herself to move, crawling with great effort towards the steel fence her cell from the corridor. Wincing she grab a hold of a metal bar, pulling herself up with her arms as her back threatens to fail her. The pain is evident on her face, her jaws clenched hard and her breathing laboured and trembling. "Li-...Lisette." She speaks, her voice broken, while her teary eyes scan for whomever adressed her, finally settling on Jameson.
“The lesson is this - the game is rigged. The cards are stacked. The dice are loaded. And that’s why we don’t play their fragging game. We don’t swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It’s why we run the shadows…”

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:12:22 AM »
The young woman groan from the agony sending tremors through her back as she force herself to move, crawling with great effort towards the steel fence her cell from the corridor. Wincing she grab a hold of a metal bar, pulling herself up with her arms as her back threatens to fail her. The pain is evident on her face, her jaws clenched hard and her breathing laboured and trembling. "Li-...Lisette." She speaks, her voice broken, while her teary eyes scan for whomever adressed her, finally settling on Jameson.

"Lisette" Jameson said "My name is Jameson. What did they do to you? What have you done to get thrown on this cursed ship?"
I'm back people...

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
Leo, after his seventh attempt, finally ran out of the will to continue...for now.

"Okay, I'll take a break. Then try again." Leo thought

It was at this time that Leo noticed the woman and Jameson talking, watching them with interest.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:18:38 PM by Ragez »
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »
Lisette draw a deep, trembling, breath in a effort to calm her breathing, but the agony of doing so is evident as her back shudder, and she's forced to wince. "I... t-they think I k-killed one of theirs..." She says, turning her head to stare off at the staircase which the knights left by briefly, before refocusing on your cell.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
Lisette draw a deep, trembling, breath in a effort to calm her breathing, but the agony of doing so is evident as her back shudder, and she's forced to wince. "I... t-they think I k-killed one of theirs..." She says, turning her head to stare off at the staircase which the knights left by briefly, before refocusing on your cell.
"Did you?" Leo suddenly asked, intrigued by Lisette's story. If nothing else, he could kill some of his boredom

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
"Did you?" Leo suddenly asked, intrigued by Lisette's story. If nothing else, he could kill some of his boredom

Jameson quickly took a glance at Leo, slightly intrigued that he had decided to join in, before saying to Lisette "And how?"
I'm back people...

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
"I... I don't know" Lisette admits, lowering her head to stare down at the floor. "H-he was a priest, a servant of Odna... who was not a gentle man...One day he was simply dead, as if he had been dead for months... and I was blamed because they found me in the same room. " the girl says, speaking slowly and almost quietly between her breaths.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »
"I... I don't know" Lisette admits, lowering her head to stare down at the floor. "H-he was a priest, a servant of Odna... who was not a gentle man...One day he was simply dead, as if he had been dead for months... and I was blamed because they found me in the same room. " the girl says, speaking slowly and almost quietly between her breaths.

"What monsters would do this to a young woman, without proof?" muttered Jameson to himself.

Jameson then asked "Lisette...think back, do you know who did this to you? Do you remember anything else?"
I'm back people...

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
Lisette seem to try to think through her pain, brow furrowing in concentration for a few moments while she hold herself steady against the metal bars. "N-no." She says finally, shaking her head slowly. "I just gone h-home the night before... and went to bed early, and then when I w-woke up I was in his study, and he was dead... I don't k-know how I got the--" Her story is interrupted by the sound of metal boots against the wooden deck of the ship, and the hinges of a door squeeking as it swings open.

Down the corridor come three people, two of them knights judging by their helmets and heavy armour, marching with quick steps. At the head of them walk a man in perhaps his fifties, he has the look of a grizzled, rugged man abotut him; a nasty scar running down his right cheek and a graying stubble adorning his chin. He is dressed as a priest, with long vestments and robes covering his body, and the symbol of Odna hanging heavily from a thick chain around his neck. The man smirks to himself as he stop briefly outside Lisette's cell -- the young woman instinctively withdrawing from his sadistic gaze -- as he studies her scars briefly. Letting out a cold chuckle, at the woman's terrified look, he then turn to your cell. "Ah, and who have we here? If I'm not mistaken... One Jameson Sheridan, deserter. Mass murderer." he says with a rather hard, and hoarse, voice and keep his gaze on Jameson for a few seconds before looking to each of you in turn. " Leo Stratos... almost destroyed a village with his reckless use of magic. Then turned bandit. Hrmhm... Samuel Frost. A lowlife criminal. A thief.  Thorsten Carl... Mass destruction of property, and mass murder." The man pauses briefly, turning his gaze on the jittery man in the corner. "Jonathan Harrow... Traitor, and rapist. Quite clearly insane." And at last turning to the bearded man who is chained to the wall. "Ah! And Mortimer Porter. Mind control, torture, and consorting with demons. Don't worry, we have your... mistress. In custody as well."

Spoiler for Hiden:
Two pieces of information that your characters will know:
*Harrow is a noble name, and belong to one of the most powerful noble families of a nation called Alterra.
*Demons are, as far as your characters are concerned, only a myth and none of you have ever seen one, or heard of any reliable proof that they exist.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Lisette seem to try to think through her pain, brow furrowing in concentration for a few moments while she hold herself steady against the metal bars. "N-no." She says finally, shaking her head slowly. "I just gone h-home the night before... and went to bed early, and then when I w-woke up I was in his study, and he was dead... I don't k-know how I got the--" Her story is interrupted by the sound of metal boots against the wooden deck of the ship, and the hinges of a door squeeking as it swings open.

Down the corridor come three people, two of them knights judging by their helmets and heavy armour, marching with quick steps. At the head of them walk a man in perhaps his fifties, he has the look of a grizzled, rugged man abotut him; a nasty scar running down his right cheek and a graying stubble adorning his chin. He is dressed as a priest, with long vestments and robes covering his body, and the symbol of Odna hanging heavily from a thick chain around his neck. The man smirks to himself as he stop briefly outside Lisette's cell -- the young woman instinctively withdrawing from his sadistic gaze -- as he studies her scars briefly. Letting out a cold chuckle, at the woman's terrified look, he then turn to your cell. "Ah, and who have we here? If I'm not mistaken... One Jameson Sheridan, deserter. Mass murderer." he says with a rather hard, and hoarse, voice and keep his gaze on Jameson for a few seconds before looking to each of you in turn. " Leo Stratos... almost destroyed a village with his reckless use of magic. Then turned bandit. Hrmhm... Samuel Frost. A lowlife criminal. A thief.  Thorsten Carl... Mass destruction of property, and mass murder." The man pauses briefly, turning his gaze on the jittery man in the corner. "Jonathan Harrow... Traitor, and rapist. Quite clearly insane." And at last turning to the bearded man who is chained to the wall. "Ah! And Mortimer Porter. Mind control, torture, and consorting with demons. Don't worry, we have your... mistress. In custody as well."

Spoiler for Hiden:
*Harrow is a noble name, and belong to one of the most powerful noble families of a nation called Alterra.
*Demons are, as far as your characters are concerned, only a myth and none of you have ever seen one, or heard of any reliable proof that they exist.

"Why the hell am I in here!? Is theft as serious as mass murder and treason all of a sudden!?"Samuel shouted at the scarred man while getting up on his feet, angry at the injustice brought upon him. That the man mentioned demons and the name Harrow concerned him little at this point. All he wanted was freedom.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:17:06 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
"Why the hell am I in here!? Is theft as serious as mass murder and treason all of a sudden!?"Samuel shouted at the scarred man while getting up on his feet, angry at the injustice brought upon him. That the man mentioned demons and the name Harrow concerned him little at this point. All he wanted was freedom.
Leo, similarly got up; only being restrained from the chains that binded him from banging against the cell wall.

"Samuel here's right! He didn't go crap in comparison to us! Hell; the fact that I did crap is up for debate!" Leo shouted

The village had only blamed him because of both the devastation of the lava and how terrifying it was to see a child affect the lava (even if he was actually diverting it) with his anger, not to mention their natural dislike of magic. Similarly, in his life as an 'outlaw' he only stole what he needed to survive; nothing more. Of course, this couldn't be proven; and Leo doubted that they would listen anyway.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

"Do what you will to me" said Sheridan calmly, looking the rugged man straight in the eye "I know what I did. Physical torment and death mean nothing to me, not when I have to live with what I've done. But know this...before I die, I will kill you for what you've done to this lady."

Jameson then looked at Harrow, instantly recognizing the noble name. The Harrows were a powerful family, and normally would never have let anyone take their family to this hellhole, but the accusation of treason would explain why they let this one be taken. The Harrows were not a very forgiving group. Jameson knew this much because Alterra had been the nation Jameson had once fought for.

As for the demons, he silently scoffed at that. Though he had found some solace in religion, he still believed demons to be nothing than stories used to scare frightened children.
I'm back people...

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »
"Foolish..." The priest says with a stern tone as he turns his attention towards Jameson, narrowing his eyes while he produces a bronze scepter from insdie his coat, adorned with a Odna symbol in blue crystal at the top. He aims the scepter at you, and the crystal flashes with energy for a split second, accompanied by a sharp cracking noise as it sends a pulse of intense pain through Jameson's body, causing his muscles to spasm and twitch uncontrollably.

"Now, that little lesson out of the way, let us adress the thief, hmm." The priest says, a sadistic grin on his lips for a brief moment, before turning to face Samuel "Your pitiful criminal activity is not why you're here; a thief is afterall not a concern of mine. The fact that you used your newfound ability to escape a lord magistrate's justice, however, is." He speaks with narrowed eyes focused on Samuel. "A stepping stone towards worse use of magic, many would say. And I agree. Now, as for you." the man adds, turning his gaze upon Leo next. "The testimony, and scared faces, of the villagers spoke clearly enough. Deny it all you want, but the evidence is quite clearly stacked against you. Perhaps it may have been better if you had perished in your own fire, hmm." He speaks and then stay silent for a few  more seconds, before turning on the spot and begin marching away from the cell, followed by his guards.

As soon as they disappear from sight Jameson can feel the pain and spasm die out, leaving him in control of his muscles again as the agony vanish almost in an instant; leaving only a numbness.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
"Foolish..." The priest says with a stern tone as he turns his attention towards Jameson, narrowing his eyes while he produces a bronze scepter from insdie his coat, adorned with a Odna symbol in blue crystal at the top. He aims the scepter at you, and the crystal flashes with energy for a split second, accompanied by a sharp cracking noise as it sends a pulse of intense pain through Jameson's body, causing his muscles to spasm and twitch uncontrollably.

"Now, that little lesson out of the way, let us adress the thief, hmm." The priest says, a sadistic grin on his lips for a brief moment, before turning to face Samuel "Your pitiful criminal activity is not why you're here; a thief is afterall not a concern of mine. The fact that you used your newfound ability to escape a lord magistrate's justice, however, is." He speaks with narrowed eyes focused on Samuel. "A stepping stone towards worse use of magic, many would say. And I agree. Now, as for you." the man adds, turning his gaze upon Leo next. "The testimony, and scared faces, of the villagers spoke clearly enough. Deny it all you want, but the evidence is quite clearly stacked against you. Perhaps it may have been better if you had perished in your own fire, hmm." He speaks and then stay silent for a few  more seconds, before turning on the spot and begin marching away from the cell, followed by his guards.

As soon as they disappear from sight Jameson can feel the pain and spasm die out, leaving him in control of his muscles again as the agony vanish almost in an instant; leaving only a numbness.

"Bastard" Jameson said, before turning to Lisette "Are you all right, my lady?"
I'm back people...

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »
After leaving a string of curses, most of which in a language that the guards wouldn't even understand, Leo finally sat down; taking a deep breath as he tried to calm himself down.

"Alright, one more time!" Leo thought, concentrating his magic once more to attempt to raise even the slightest spark of fire

It was hopeless, but that never deterred Leo before. If a brick wall stood in his path, he would just pound at the wall with his fists until the wall grew weak enough to break through.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
After leaving a string of curses, most of which in a language that the guards wouldn't even understand, Leo finally sat down; taking a deep breath as he tried to calm himself down.

"Alright, one more time!" Leo thought, concentrating his magic once more to attempt to raise even the slightest spark of fire

It was hopeless, but that never deterred Leo before. If a brick wall stood in his path, he would just pound at the wall with his fists until the wall grew weak enough to break through.
"I'm afraid to say that we will... need more physical means of opening these. Or perhaps if there was a way to damage these manacles enough so it would dirupt its enchantments..."
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
"I'm afraid to say that we will... need more physical means of opening these. Or perhaps if there was a way to damage these manacles enough so it would dirupt its enchantments..."
"I know, but I thought maybe it'd weaken the enchantment if I kept at it..." Leo said, before sighing and deciding to bide his strength

"Thorston Carl, is it? Nice to meet you." He said with a smile

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:04 AM »
"No..." Lisette respond to Jameson's question and she slowly dare raising her head again, now that the Disciples are gone. "W-why d-did you do that?" She then asks him.

In another part of the cell Leo's attempt to overpower the enchanted manacles continue to be fruitless, only a sharp sting of pain and blood in his mouth his response. The old man chained to the wall suddenly stirs, having been relatively still for hours, and his chains rattle. "Hehehe! They are not perfect, no!" He says and turn his mad gaze on Leo and Thorston. "You can still hear the whispers.. Hehe. But only faintly, talking to you through the silence... Heh. Defy the pain!"

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 09:44:09 AM »
"No..." Lisette respond to Jameson's question and she slowly dare raising her head again, now that the Disciples are gone. "W-why d-did you do that?" She then asks him.

In another part of the cell Leo's attempt to overpower the enchanted manacles continue to be fruitless, only a sharp sting of pain and blood in his mouth his response. The old man chained to the wall suddenly stirs, having been relatively still for hours, and his chains rattle. "Hehehe! They are not perfect, no!" He says and turn his mad gaze on Leo and Thorston. "You can still hear the whispers.. Hehe. But only faintly, talking to you through the silence... Heh. Defy the pain!"

Jameson looked away momentarily, pain masking his face as he recalled the atrocities he commited, before saying "Let us just say that...my sentence for mass murder is not inaccurate...and the things I did haunt me to this day. I vowed to never be the monster again...and in doing so, realized that I had also commited myself to protecting the innocent from the monsters, until the day I die and repay the price in full for my actions".
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
Jameson looked away momentarily, pain masking his face as he recalled the atrocities he commited, before saying "Let us just say that...my sentence for mass murder is not inaccurate...and the things I did haunt me to this day. I vowed to never be the monster again...and in doing so, realized that I had also commited myself to protecting the innocent from the monsters, until the day I die and repay the price in full for my actions".
"Bullexcrement."Samuel suddenly said, drawing Jameson's attention. "That is complete bullexcrement."he repeated. "You just commited murder, a mass murder at that, and then you suddenly become the knight in shining armor? Do you really expect people to believe that?"