Author Topic: Why Piracy is Killing Gaming  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
Why Piracy is Killing Gaming
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:36:57 AM »
Just wanted to share this video as I feel a few members of this community may be able to learn something from this, or just finds the views within interesting.   

The most important bit starts at around six minutes, but I'd recommend watching the whole vid, as it's a pretty interesting view.
 Toegoff's Views on Piracy - A Clearer Perspective

Short version: If you're going to get up and arms about a company, like EA, and their practices, don't go around and use their products anyway. if you despise them, and you use their stuff, you just give them excuses to do stuff that's even worse, like DRM that can steal your personal information.

If you want to help the gaming industry, and get rid of companies like EA and Ubisoft, then you need self-discipline. It will eventually work. But not if you don't have that discipline.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
Re: Why Piracy is Killing Gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:53:19 AM »
Self-Discipline what a novel Concept!

I am looking at you society! *Angry Glare*

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
Haven't watched the video, probably will tomorrow. By torrenting instead of buying I am bypassing the DRM, getting to play the game, and telling them I don't like their practices. How? Not giving them money and that's the bottom line. Then what happens is they push stricter DRM, torrenters still succeed, and more people are pushed away from purchasing. Then they go under. The problem that I'm guessing hasn't been addressed is that no matter which way you go about it, the developers suffer first whether you torrent, or just not purchase the game. The publishers are greedy bastards and are going to make sure they (the publisher) go down last. Other developers will pop up after all.

After watching the video I may edit it slightly. However what's been said is how I pretty much feel on the matter. This is going to be an ongoing issue for sometime. Don't think I'm evil though. I'm more than happy to (and do) buy into indie, Valve, and and any other developers/publishers I support.

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:17:41 AM »
DRM is cancer and anyone who thinks piracy is very bad needs to re-educate themselves

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:24:12 AM »
Did you even read the first post, or watch the video? Piracy is the cause of DRM.

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
Did you even read the first post, or watch the video? Piracy is the cause of DRM.

DRM is just going to make things worse and it's useless anyways.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
Not buying from the publishers you don't like is indeed a very productive attitude. Frees up more money and time for someone to buy/play more worthy stuff.

It will eventually work.
This is debatable. Just look at Diablo III for now. One can say that it's going very well, despite all the crap it went through on launch and its stupid always-on DRM.

Mostly useless, yes. Most of the time it doesn't affect pirates that much and puts real paying customers through some nasty hurdles. Not to mention when the DRM is just plain bugged.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:05:35 AM by mikethor007 »
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
... Uh... yes.

Seriously, watch the video before you make your next post.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 01:53:59 PM »
Wow....that's a really strange feeling you get when your opinions change in just a few minutes...

Damn, I feel like an idiot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:45:33 PM by Tobbs »

Keep calm and move along.

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
I'm not going to watch all of the video because it's the same damn thing I've seen, and I don't have time for it.

Piracy on music, movies, and games are not as big as a problem as it's portrayed. In fact, in some mediums, independent research have proven that it INCREASES revenue earned due to acting as free advertising, and the fact is if the person likes it, the more likely they are going to support the company. 

In actuality, DRM Causes piracy, not the other way around. If you remember the Assassin's Creed PC Scandal, piracy rates shot up due to the infamous DRM device put on it, which made you have to be connected to the internet at all time to play it. Copyright infringement is just an excuse for companies like the MPAA and RIAA to earn more money to feed their platinum diet.

They went after a single mother due to some songs she downloaded......and this time the RIAA lost. But due to copyright infringement, they thought they had the chance to get some hard cash. I applaud her for suing the RIAA back, though I cannot find the results of that case

Money earned by sales does not all go to the creator. In fact, the creator get's very little in comparison to the copyright holder.

The RIAA and MPAA, the two biggest copyright supporters, have been known to act in a Mafia-style way, including the use of breach of privacy. They use their disposable income to bribe the government. If you remember the SOPA incident, all of the supporters were shown to have been paid by them in some way.

This may not reflect my views on the video, as I don't have time for all of it, but it's my general stance on piracy.

tl;dr: Piracy isn't a problem, the MPAA and RIAA are pulling numbers out of their ass

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »
Once again, I stand unsure of my opinions because of one statement. Until further notice, I stand neutral on the subject.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:15:18 AM »
More than a little rambly and waaay too long.

I don't tend to pirate games myself but some of his arguments are more than a little... off. The whole 'CEO claiming that he's doing a good job but pirates are ruining their numbers'? Not how it works. Every game made is judged on its return on investment (ROI). Hell every single project completed by a major corporation is based on that. Piracy and the like is already factored into that before they even design the damn thing. Now that number is a variable that can change, but it's not letting excrementty games continue to get made because of some sort of CEO magical fast talk.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein.

Offline Minimum

• this.getPersonalText();
    • minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »
It's so simple.  Don't like a game?  Don't buy it, don't download it.  Don't give the publishers a scapegoat as to why their game was awful in the first place.  I've done this with many games, ME3 included.

There are so many good games out there that boycotting a game should be completely painless.

Offline FsDxRAGE

• If it looks good, eat it you moron.
    • FsDxRAGE
    • vSYNERGISMv
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
I blame Origin for the sheer amount of pirating. Next time a good EA game comes out, I am going to pirate it, then mail my $60 to the developer.  :teehee: