Author Topic: Battlefield 3 Exclusive Pre-Order Content  (Read 12807 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
Battlefield 3 Exclusive Pre-Order Content
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
[float=left][attach=1][/float]Well it looks like EA's jumping on the pre-order bandwagon already for Battlefield 3 with a set of exclusive weapons and mods and free access to a DLC map pack.  The pre-order bonuses the items are apparently only available when pre-ordered in physical form and not if you pre-order through a digital service like steam and the final nail in the coffin here is that the items appear to be inaccessible if you do not pre-order.  There is no reference to being able to unlock them or even purchase them as DLC at a later date.  Seeing as the items are "essential" by EA's own statement it is simply unforgivable to give away powerful items to some players and not others in a genre where balance is king.

More after the break.[cutoff]

I don't mind DLC in principle and have bought several in my time nor do I mind pre-order's getting some sort of bonus, even in game content.  What I do mind is when it isn't available later as either an unlock or as DLC (paid or otherwise) to those who prefer to see reviews before ordering.  I'm still waiting to be able to download the various pre-order bonuses for Mass Effect 2, which irks me even more as PS3 got them for free but I'm stuck without on PC despite buying the collectors edition.  When I bought it I was under the impression the Cerberus Network was going to be a pipeline of small DLCs that would normally cost a dollar or two and might contain those pre-order items a couple months down the line.  What I got was Zaeed, Firewalker, some armor, and a gun or two when I first installed and have had to pay for everything since.

Sadly I think things are going to continue this way.  EA isn't inspiring any confidence to the contrary at the least.

Via Battlefield.com

Edit: Added Firewalker pack to Mass Effect 2's bonuses.  Thanks to mikethor007 for pointing that out.

Update 6/14 10am:

Rock Paper Shotgun has an article on this as well with some comments and a link (also linked below) to an FAQ from DICE/EA regarding the issue.  RPS seems disinclined to take this at face value and I'm with them on that.

Rock Paper Shotgun article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/14/bf3-preorder-dlc/
EA/DICE FAQ: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/06/13/physical-warfare-pack-and-back-to-karkand-questions-answered.aspx##

Update 6/15/ 3:30 PM PST:

Total Biscuit in his mailbox for yesterday addressed this issue perfectly.  He has more issues here than I but sums my feelings up perfectly towards the end "If they won't drop them then I'm sorry but I'm not playing your game.  My personal enjoyment is not as important as the state of the industry and if we continue to accept consumer unfriendly practices then we will get reamed.  We will get nickel and dimed at every possible opportunity.  Why?  Because we let it happen."  Full mailbox video embedded below:

http://youtu.be/db7-m0YuNU8
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:29:53 PM by The Doctor »
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3 Exclusive Pre-Order Content
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
You forgot to mention the Firewalker pack there. It was part of the Cerberus Network thing.

As for battlefield, I'll likely not get the bonuses. The last time I ordered a CE of a game was with ME2's, and that damned thing never arrived. So, If I buy BF3, it'll be on steam.

Oh, you're not alone Tran:
http://www.reghardware.com/2011/06/13/ea_angers_fans_over_battlefield_3_pre_order_exclusivity/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:23:57 PM by mikethor007 »
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »
Battlefield 3 is currently the only CE I plan on ordering (outside of ME3 (and the far future Crysis 3)). Getting Karkand at no cost was enough for me. I think it is nice to offer a bonus for CE only and not just make it available later. Makes it actually worth something, at least to me.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:14 PM »
Battlefield 3 is currently the only CE I plan on ordering (outside of ME3 (and the far future Crysis 3)). Getting Karkand at no cost was enough for me. I think it is nice to offer a bonus for CE only and not just make it available later. Makes it actually worth something, at least to me.

I think collectors edition stuff should be soundtracks, posters, maps, figures, making of features.  Stuff like that.  My Oblivion collectors edition came with a replica coin I thought was very nice.  I don't think game play should be effected.  Now free map pack that will be released later sure that's fine.  Game balance changing weapons and attachments that won't in a game that balance is of supreme importance?  No.  I'm irritated about not getting the pre-order ME2 stuff, but it makes no real difference because ME2 is single player.  But in a multiplayer game it's not acceptable to me.  I'll add the exception of reskins or other visual differences that do not have an effect on game play.  To me it's like Starcraft 2 pre-orders getting an addition unit that no one else has, it's going to upset balance.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline El Destructo

• Mobile Disaster Area
    • eldestructo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Bloody EA has an axe to grind against digital distribution I guess. Not to mention every new release sees them upping the ante as to how much excrement they can screw money out of people for. Even ME 3.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »
I think collectors edition stuff should be soundtracks, posters, maps, figures, making of features.  Stuff like that.  My Oblivion collectors edition came with a replica coin I thought was very nice.  I don't think game play should be effected.  Now free map pack that will be released later sure that's fine.  Game balance changing weapons and attachments that won't in a game that balance is of supreme importance?  No.  I'm irritated about not getting the pre-order ME2 stuff, but it makes no real difference because ME2 is single player.  But in a multiplayer game it's not acceptable to me.  I'll add the exception of reskins or other visual differences that do not have an effect on game play.  To me it's like Starcraft 2 pre-orders getting an addition unit that no one else has, it's going to upset balance.
Its an additional incentive to get the better edition, which gets them more money. Makes sense to me, of course I may not be complaining because I have already preordered.

Offline El Destructo

• Mobile Disaster Area
    • eldestructo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:38:27 AM »
Its an additional incentive to get the better edition, which gets them more money. Makes sense to me, of course I may not be complaining because I have already preordered.
Unfortunately when you're dealing with stuff that directly affects the balance of the game it ceases being an incentive and starts being a requirement, and that is a bit heavy handed.

Some of the pay to win weapons in All Points Bulletin are a bit like that, but since I don't pay a cent for the time I spend in game, I don't give a rats arse.
On the other hand, EA is probably going to ask 60 bucks just for the 'normal' edition Battlefield 3, and I damn well deserve to be able to enjoy just as much as anyone else regardless of whether I dropped my pants and ran in head first before the reviews come out...

Edit:
On another note, I can't figure DICE is all that happy. It probably makes them look desperate for sales, as if the game can't stand on its own merit. Which just makes them look bad, regardless of whether or not it is true!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:42:38 AM by El Destructo »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »
Unfortunately when you're dealing with stuff that directly affects the balance of the game it ceases being an incentive and starts being a requirement, and that is a bit heavy handed.

Some of the pay to win weapons in All Points Bulletin are a bit like that, but since I don't pay a cent for the time I spend in game, I don't give a rats arse.
On the other hand, EA is probably going to ask 60 bucks just for the 'normal' edition Battlefield 3, and I damn well deserve to be able to enjoy just as much as anyone else regardless of whether I dropped my pants and ran in head first before the reviews come out...

Edit:
On another note, I can't figure DICE is all that happy. It probably makes them look desperate for sales, as if the game can't stand on its own merit. Which just makes them look bad, regardless of whether or not it is true!
While it may seem unfriendly from a business perspective it makes sense. If the advanced edition only added maps it may as well have just been a DLC on its own (and it may be in the future?). Giving it specific content you can get nowhere else makes it for the collectors of the series. If you are willing to trust DICE/EA and give them your money before the game releases then I believe you do deserve something special. Just my opinion.

Edit: Yes I think I saw something about DICE being unhappy about this entire thing.

Offline Mazder_Verhal

• I have a bad feeling about this...
    • http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031547390
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
Looks like another EA cockblock to me.

They really want to squeeze money out of people.
I was irked at the Bioware ME2 DLC thing and now I am irked even more as it's happening with Battlefield 3.
Come look at my art.
Deviantart: http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://mazderverhal.tumblr.com/
Leave ideas or critiques or anything with me there or anywhere you can reach me. :)

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
Maybe I'm being naive about the whole situation, but I honestly see no problem with what they're doing.  I have NEVER heard an EA executive say that the free expansion pack is an essential aspect of the game, and the same goes for the weapons.  All this in mind though, why not just put the $5 deposit on the game, get automatically upgraded to the Limited Edition, and just cancel your pre-order later and put it on something else if the game loses your interest?  That's not much to ask.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »
Maybe I'm being naive about the whole situation, but I honestly see no problem with what they're doing.  I have NEVER heard an EA executive say that the free expansion pack is an essential aspect of the game, and the same goes for the weapons.  All this in mind though, why not just put the $5 deposit on the game, get automatically upgraded to the Limited Edition, and just cancel your pre-order later and put it on something else if the game loses your interest?  That's not much to ask.

From the link:

And what about people like me?  I have no particular interest in Battlefield 3.  No reason to pre-order and play it but if a bunch of you get it and then I decide to join you... Well I'm screwed.  I can't get those weapons.  I'm being denied options.  It's like the SC2 comment I made before.  It upsets balance and we all know that EA isn't willing to sink the money and time into making sure those items don't upset balance.  Imagine Blizzard trying to balance not just Terran/Zerg/Protoss (which they have done an amazing job of all things considered, srs props here) but also pre-order variants of each that get an extra unit or two.  It would be a nightmare.

I don't have an issue with pre-orders or collectors editions getting a "you get free while they have to pay" or "You get right away while they have to unlock" type items but if it's in game it better be available to everyone or not at all.  The only possible exception to this is single player games where I will be merely annoyed by the lack instead of truly pissed off.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Update 6/14 10am:

Rock Paper Shotgun has an article on this as well with some comments and a link (also linked below) to an FAQ from DICE/EA regarding the issue.  RPS seems disinclined to take this at face value and I'm with them on that.

Rock Paper Shotgun article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/14/bf3-preorder-dlc/
EA/DICE FAQ: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/06/13/physical-warfare-pack-and-back-to-karkand-questions-answered.aspx##
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
I see nothing wrong with it either. If you don't get the special edition then you lost out... besides, if those 2 things Tran posted are the only weapon upgrades (I don't know if they are, not paying much attention) then what are the odds people are going to be using those specific weapons anyway?

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »
From the link:

And what about people like me?  I have no particular interest in Battlefield 3.  No reason to pre-order and play it but if a bunch of you get it and then I decide to join you... Well I'm screwed.  I can't get those weapons.  I'm being denied options.  It's like the SC2 comment I made before.  It upsets balance and we all know that EA isn't willing to sink the money and time into making sure those items don't upset balance.  Imagine Blizzard trying to balance not just Terran/Zerg/Protoss (which they have done an amazing job of all things considered, srs props here) but also pre-order variants of each that get an extra unit or two.  It would be a nightmare.

I don't have an issue with pre-orders or collectors editions getting a "you get free while they have to pay" or "You get right away while they have to unlock" type items but if it's in game it better be available to everyone or not at all.  The only possible exception to this is single player games where I will be merely annoyed by the lack instead of truly pissed off.
First off, I very much doubt that the addition of those two weapon options will seriously upset balance, and I ABSOLUTELY doubt that they're in any way essential to enjoying the game.  A couple extra weapons and modifications is not going to destroy all possibility of enjoying the game, much less winning. 

In regards to the underlined, you of course realize that this is the same EA who is giving Bioware a blank check for The Old Republic and are promoting Battlefield 3 like madmen in the hopes that it can fight against the Call of Duty juggernaut, yes?  Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the closest EA has gotten to taking Call of Duty off the throne: I think they'll be willing to give DICE what they need for Battlefield 3.  EA might be greedy sometimes, but I definitely don't think they're idiots.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
It's usually the little things that everyone goes "That won't make a big difference" that make huge differences.  In addition to the two weapon mods there are two full weapons.  Game balance is an incredibly fiddly thing and this will affect it.  Maybe not highly but it will unless the items are practically useless.  In which case they are hardly a good reward are they?  For example: Does anyone actually use the Cerberus armor in ME2?

Should pre-orders or collectors editions get bonuses?  Yes.  Should the bonuses be something that isn't just available to everyone? Sure.  Should the bonuses affect gameplay?  No.

This is how to do a pre-order or collectors edition: http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-collectors-en
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »
It's usually the little things that everyone goes "That won't make a big difference" that make huge differences.  In addition to the two weapon mods there are two full weapons.  Game balance is an incredibly fiddly thing and this will affect it.  Maybe not highly but it will unless the items are practically useless.  In which case they are hardly a good reward are they?  For example: Does anyone actually use the Cerberus armor in ME2?

Should pre-orders or collectors editions get bonuses?  Yes.  Should the bonuses be something that isn't just available to everyone? Sure.  Should the bonuses affect gameplay?  No.

This is how to do a pre-order or collectors edition: http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-collectors-en
Even if the two weapons are decent they probably won't be the best... I know I will be staying with the GOL if it is still available. I know the veteran unlocks for bad company had almost no effect on gameplay at all.

Edit: Also, wow that is a lot of stuff for that CE.

Offline El Destructo

• Mobile Disaster Area
    • eldestructo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »
The flechette rounds sound an awful lot like they're taking BC 2's magnum ammo (the OP mod that almost everyone used after unlocking it) and making it a preorder bonus. :x

In regards to the underlined, you of course realize that this is the same EA who is giving Bioware a blank check for The Old Republic and are promoting Battlefield 3 like madmen in the hopes that it can fight against the Call of Duty juggernaut, yes?  Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the closest EA has gotten to taking Call of Duty off the throne: I think they'll be willing to give DICE what they need for Battlefield 3.  EA might be greedy sometimes, but I definitely don't think they're idiots.

If they wanted to beat Call of Duty they should have done it by offering a superior product and backing it up with free content releases to the game owners. Compared to Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2 just received an amazing amount of content. Mostly free multiplayer maps. And one DLC pack which was purely aesthetic.

Meanwhile Activision is regurgitating old map designs, and calling them new content, then asking $15 for the crap. Furthermore, it only serves to divide their community in to 'haves' and 'have nots' that can't coexist on the same servers without someone getting booted off for not having a map or being fed up they aren't seeing the new map they paid for.

Now EA apparently has decided to throw caution to the wind and join the franchise milking crowd of offering special content for whoever has the ability or the desire to purchase this limited edition. And EA apparently DOESN'T WANT US TO BUY IT, since they made it available in one gently-carressing place. And if you can't deal with it, tough damn luck.

Related:
http://blogs.forbes.com/insertcoin/2011/06/13/the-day-dlc-went-too-far/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:17:55 PM by El Destructo »

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
The flechette rounds sound an awful lot like they're taking BC 2's magnum ammo (the OP mod that almost everyone used after unlocking it) and making it a preorder bonus. :x

If they wanted to beat Call of Duty they should have done it by offering a superior product and backing it up with free content releases to the game owners. Compared to Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2 just received an amazing amount of content. Mostly free multiplayer maps. And one DLC pack which was purely aesthetic.

Meanwhile Activision is regurgitating old map designs, and calling them new content, then asking $15 for the crap. Furthermore, it only serves to divide their community in to 'haves' and 'have nots' that can't coexist on the same servers without someone getting booted off for not having a map or being fed up they aren't seeing the new map they paid for.

Now EA apparently has decided to throw caution to the wind and join the franchise milking crowd of offering special content for whoever has the ability or the desire to purchase this limited edition. And EA apparently DOESN'T WANT US TO BUY IT, since they made it available in one gently-carressing place. And if you can't deal with it, tough damn luck.

Related:
http://blogs.forbes.com/insertcoin/2011/06/13/the-day-dlc-went-too-far/
See, here's what I don't get though.  These pre-order bonuses do not. cost. you. anything.  You put $5 down on the game at Gamestop and you're guaranteed the Limited edition of the game (which will be the standard $60).  If you end up deciding shortly after release that you simply do not want the game, then go to the same Gamestop, cancel your pre-order and use that money for something else. 

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I just, flat-out, don't see the problem. 

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
I thought Tran already explained it?
And what about people like me?  I have no particular interest in Battlefield 3.  No reason to pre-order and play it but if a bunch of you get it and then I decide to join you... Well I'm screwed.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
No Gamestop here where I live. So, no limited edition pre-order and no extra items.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
Even if the two weapons are decent they probably won't be the best... I know I will be staying with the GOL if it is still available. I know the veteran unlocks for bad company had almost no effect on gameplay at all.

Edit: Also, wow that is a lot of stuff for that CE.

And all that stuff in the CE?  Dirt cheap for the company to get.  Easily worth it for them.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
I thought Tran already explained it?
For me, there's a simple solution.  In a case like that, I pre-order the game anyway (just in case) and if I end up still not caring when the game is released, then I cancel my pre-order and put the money on something else.  It appears that the map pack that comes with the pre-order is going to be released to the general public at one point as-is; it just might cost a few dollars. 

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
For me, there's a simple solution.  In a case like that, I pre-order the game anyway (just in case) and if I end up still not caring when the game is released, then I cancel my pre-order and put the money on something else.  It appears that the map pack that comes with the pre-order is going to be released to the general public at one point as-is; it just might cost a few dollars. 
And then your screwed out of the stuff that comes with pre-orders. Just because you don't want to buy a game you don't care about at launch.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
No Gamestop here where I live. So, no limited edition pre-order and no extra items.
Then get it off Amazon or something.  The bonus is not a Gamestop-exclusive :P

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
And then your screwed out of the stuff that comes with pre-orders. Just because you don't want to buy a game you don't care about at launch.
Pre-orders serve two functions.  First, they are a decent gauge of how interested the public is in the game.  Second, they reward people who pick up the game at launch.

Pre-orders have been going on for YEARS.  Pre-order bonuses, by definition, is usually stuff that you can only get by pre-ordering the game.  Why did we chose Battlefield 3 as the "criminals" here when a excrementload of other games do the same thing?  I didn't see ANYONE bitching about Dragon Age 2 pre-orders having $20 of bonus content and a free limited edition.