General Boards > Hardware Discussion

Kind of a "First Computer Build" journal thread. *LOTS OF PICTURES*

(1/3) > >>

Alisaihin:
Spoiler tags are gonna be my friend starting...NOW!

Here, I will start off with the pictures of the computer pre-teardown.  Laugh at its antiquity all you want!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Poor thing.  Busted hard drive...and it's unaware that it's getting completely overhauled.Spoiler for Hiden:
First panel off...simple enough, right?  Wound up saving that fan.Spoiler for Hiden:

Talk about a hot mess of 7 year-old-plus wiring.  And dust!  Had to take it out and use dust cleaner.Spoiler for Hiden:

All cleaned of old parts.  Still very dusty-had to redo dusting.
Okay, so that was pretty much...the easy part.  Here are the old parts...

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yep, you are reading that right.  Only 350 watts.Spoiler for Hiden:
The old motherboard with the HSF still on.  Only had a single 512 MB RAM stick on it.
Speaking of which...
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x155/red7js/IMAG0115.jpgSpoiler for Hiden:
This video card is ancient. nVidia GeForce 6200 256MB...the p362.Spoiler for Hiden:
Left to right- 1394 card, 56k modem, wireless card.  The wireless card is kinda cool, actually :DSpoiler for Hiden:
IDE cables.  Talk about airblock CENTRAL.Spoiler for Hiden:
Busted 80 gig hard drive.Spoiler for Hiden:
Floppy drive.  And, unlike what Tran assumed, it DID have an IDE cable, silly :3
And...for the rig builds to this point (this should only be a couple more pictures.)

Spoiler for Hiden: http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x155/red7js/IMAG0128.jpg
Oh god yes.  I about squeed like a girl when I got this :3Spoiler for Hiden: Hard drives, CPU, PSU, DVD drive, 120 mm (original at that o0o) fan, and front faceplate off (to install 80 mm fans, and boy did the case injure me for doing that)Spoiler for Hiden:
Computer as of first actual operation.  Has the video card in.Spoiler for Hiden:
Oh, what's this?  A second card?  Alis...you are one insane person XDSpoiler for Hiden:
Second card in and successfully SLI'ed.  Computer hated having the second card in at first, but it seemed to iron itself out.
Spec pictures (warning, large pictures, not gonna use img tags on them)
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x155/red7js/WEIPicture-afterDualCards.png
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x155/red7js/ComputerPartList.png

ALL future updates will be in other posts, as I DO NOT wanna make this longer than it already is (lol)

sweffymo:
Not bad.  Now all you need to do is put an aftermarket cooler on there and overclock your CPU! :P  Your motherboard, CPU, and PSU would be able to handle a 4.8ghz or higher OC. ;)

By the way, Floppy drives normally take cables that LOOK like IDE cables but have less pins.  They're caled FDD cables.

wisekill1:
Looks good to me, hope it will run smooth for a long time.

Alisaihin:

--- Quote from: sweffymo on April 10, 2012, 03:47:42 PM ---Not bad.  Now all you need to do is put an aftermarket cooler on there and overclock your CPU! :P  Your motherboard, CPU, and PSU would be able to handle a 4.8ghz or higher OC. ;)

By the way, Floppy drives normally take cables that LOOK like IDE cables but have less pins.  They're caled FDD cables.

--- End quote ---
Interesting...I will take that in mind if I decide to try and adapt it to my system in the end (I do recall him saying it was SATA though hehehe >_>).  Nothing says awesome like having an overkill system then...plunking a floppy drive in it XD
--- Quote from: wisekill1 on April 10, 2012, 03:53:18 PM ---Looks good to me, hope it will run smooth for a long time.

--- End quote ---
It's run fairly smooth actually.  I get a very, very periodic bluescreens.  HOWEVER, most of those are my damn fault.  Live and learn...

And by god I have yet to truly test its limits.

Alisaihin:
I must say this now, despite what my father said about custom built PC's having issues out the ass, I have got quite a stable system (though I learned that Nvidia drivers, PARTICULARLY with the GTX 560 and 560 ti, don't like Firefox+Hardware Acceleration).

However, I will say this...I won't try overclocking my GPU's anytime soon.  I tried that once for excrements and giggles, but my system HATED it.  I would get bluescreens out the ass from doing it, and promptly downclocked back to factory and system restored to wipe any trace that I did it from my computer.  It stopped immediately.  If I do upgrade my computer's graphics performance, safe to say, I'm just gonna get a better card.  The money, from THAT experience, tells me it's worth plunking down cash.  Especially since I could just sell my old cards for like, 150 each on eBay, which is 110 less than I bought them for anyway...nyeh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version