Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176954 times)

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #625 on: February 02, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
I decided to play a little Empire: Total War.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 02, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
I decided to play a little Empire: Total War.

-snop-

ETW, that's a while back, you seem to be playing nice with everyone, my tactic always was to attack everyone, once I steamrolled Russia into oblivion. I ended up with all provinces in India, Europe and the southern half of america. All while playing the Dutch.  8)
Boo!

Offline PMorgan18

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 02, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
ETW, that's a while back, you seem to be playing nice with everyone, my tactic always was to attack everyone, once I steamrolled Russia into oblivion. I ended up with all provinces in India, Europe and the southern half of america. All while playing the Dutch.  8)
Russia, Saxony, and Poland are my allies.  The rest, they are going to get steamed rolled...  France first.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 02, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
Russia, Saxony, and Poland are my allies.  The rest, they are going to get steamed rolled...  France first.
France is a good country to conquer, I'd also suggest taking everything in north-Africa what isn't owned by the Ottomans, the Barbary states are enjoying when they keep raiding your trade routes.
Boo!

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 02, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Playing Prussia myself, currently giving the Spanish a good beating. Unfortunately they're the only enemy I have. I'm allied with Great Britain so they can secure my trade routes and keep the Spanish Navy off my back. The Ottomans I'm allied with for massively beneficial trade reasons, Russia is too big to conquer and it's territories mostly worthless, and Hanover makes a good buffer-state.

Then again, Russia's made it's way into India, which is unacceptable...
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 03, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Now that we're speaking about ETW, I have recently conquered every single region in the game with Sweden :sorcerer:

It was on Easy difficulty, though, so I don't see it as a major feat; it's not difficult, it just takes time.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 10, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »
Well thing's got interesting in my Prussian Campaign. At first it was business as usual, thrashing the Spanish and slowly taking their European territories. Eventually I took their last European holding, Portugal, before planning an invasion of their North African territories. However Russia at that point decided to declare war on my largest trading partner, the Ottomans, so I had to cancel my plans for North Africa and assist my allies against the Russians. I was in a mixed position when war broke out, as my Northeast front was secure, but my Southeast front in the Ukraine was vulnerable. Sure enough a mass of Russian troops began massing in the Eastern Ukraine, though strangely enough they seemed to be moving northwards.

I decided to build an army in the Northeast and launch an offensive, so I could buy time for Kiev to build up it's defences. The offensive managed to get me Livonia and Ingria, which managed to divert Russia's southeastern armies away from Kiev. Even better, they were scattered and low-strength, and walked through my heavily fortified East-Central European territories. I subsequently destroyed those Russian armies in detail. However a few more Russian armies came from the south into the Ukraine, likely from their Afghan/Persian campaign, and raided my farms and mines. Fortunately my defences in Kiev had been fortified by then, and I created a mixed calvary/artillery force to deal with the raiding armies. Unfortunately fortified Russian infantry defeated that force in an attempt by me to uproot them from one of my towns. Why I thought I didn't need infantry is anyone's guess.

I took the remnants of that army, regrouped at Kiev and added infantry to my replenished calvary and artillery. On my second try I routed the various Russian raiders, and temporarily cleared the Ukraine. After that there was a brief lull, and I sent a naval taskforce from Taranto, Southern Italy into the Black Sea, and established naval supremacy in the area after defeating the two Russian fleets there. After that I sent a newly created army, as well as the the light force from the Ukraine into the Crimean Peninsula. My light army dealt with the few scattered regiments in the area, while my new army captured the regional capital, securing for me total supremacy of the Black Sea, and providing me with an FOB for future campaigns down south. During this time I also repulsed an offensive into Central Europe, and established complete control of the Baltic Sea. After that it was just developing my new territories, replenishing my armies and fending off the occasional raid.

With my Eastern Front relatively quiet and secure, I decided to try and continue my plans for North Africa. I had just completed an army in Spain, and put them on transports when something unexpected happened. My long-time ally Austria attacked the Ottomans, forcing me to choose between breaking my alliance with the Ottoman Republic, or going to war with Austria. Austria at this time was scattered and a shell of it's former self in the earlier part of the game, and seeing as how trade with the Ottomans was more economically beneficial than Austria, I went to war against Austria. Apparently I had failed to notice their earlier massing of armies at my border, because as soon as war broke out they launched a blitzkrieg which netted them Wurttemburg and Hungary, and left me in a teneous position. I had no field armies in Germany, and I had gradually reduced my city garrisons in the region, foolishly thinking they were safe.

I had to act quickly. My French and Westphalian garrisons were strong, but Silesia and Munich were very vulnerable. I made peace with the Russians, and rushed my Eastern armies as quickly as I could to Germany. During that time I raised an army near Berlin, and frantically tried to bolster my Munich garrison. At one point I was given the option to intercept an Austrian army with my Munich garrison, and seeing as the odds were in my favour I did so, only to have my army thrashed and sent back to Munich. The Austrian army then besiged Munich, leaving me with only five turns to finish my Berlin army and rush them over to lift the siege. Fortunately I was able to rescue Munich in time, and I sent the Austrian army retreating into Italy. Remember that North African invasion force I created as well? I was able to divert them over to Europe, and with them I retook Wurttemburg, as well as capturing Alsasce-Lorraine in the process. The tide turned finally whem my two Eastern field armies arrived, and along with an army created at Warsaw I used them to take Vienna and deal a crushing blow to the Austrians. With the fall of Vienna Austria was left with only Serbia and Croatia. I used the Warsaw army and one of Eastern armies to finish off Austria, and wipe them off the map. With the end of the Austro-Prussian War of 1822, I had established myself as the largest great power in Europe. During the Austrian war Venice had entered the war on Austria's side, so I took Venice as well. Unfortunately Venice had managed to take the Ottoman capital of Istanbul, so it remains to be seen if the Ottomans will survive, or if I'll take over the Ottoman Republic from the Venetians. 
I'm back people...

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
Well thing's got interesting in my Prussian Campaign. At first it was business as usual, thrashing the Spanish and slowly taking their European territories. Eventually I took their last European holding, Portugal, before planning an invasion of their North African territories. However Russia at that point decided to declare war on my largest trading partner, the Ottomans, so I had to cancel my plans for North Africa and assist my allies against the Russians. I was in a mixed position when war broke out, as my Northeast front was secure, but my Southeast front in the Ukraine was vulnerable. Sure enough a mass of Russian troops began massing in the Eastern Ukraine, though strangely enough they seemed to be moving northwards.

I decided to build an army in the Northeast and launch an offensive, so I could buy time for Kiev to build up it's defences. The offensive managed to get me Livonia and Ingria, which managed to divert Russia's southeastern armies away from Kiev. Even better, they were scattered and low-strength, and walked through my heavily fortified East-Central European territories. I subsequently destroyed those Russian armies in detail. However a few more Russian armies came from the south into the Ukraine, likely from their Afghan/Persian campaign, and raided my farms and mines. Fortunately my defences in Kiev had been fortified by then, and I created a mixed calvary/artillery force to deal with the raiding armies. Unfortunately fortified Russian infantry defeated that force in an attempt by me to uproot them from one of my towns. Why I thought I didn't need infantry is anyone's guess.

I took the remnants of that army, regrouped at Kiev and added infantry to my replenished calvary and artillery. On my second try I routed the various Russian raiders, and temporarily cleared the Ukraine. After that there was a brief lull, and I sent a naval taskforce from Taranto, Southern Italy into the Black Sea, and established naval supremacy in the area after defeating the two Russian fleets there. After that I sent a newly created army, as well as the the light force from the Ukraine into the Crimean Peninsula. My light army dealt with the few scattered regiments in the area, while my new army captured the regional capital, securing for me total supremacy of the Black Sea, and providing me with an FOB for future campaigns down south. During this time I also repulsed an offensive into Central Europe, and established complete control of the Baltic Sea. After that it was just developing my new territories, replenishing my armies and fending off the occasional raid.

With my Eastern Front relatively quiet and secure, I decided to try and continue my plans for North Africa. I had just completed an army in Spain, and put them on transports when something unexpected happened. My long-time ally Austria attacked the Ottomans, forcing me to choose between breaking my alliance with the Ottoman Republic, or going to war with Austria. Austria at this time was scattered and a shell of it's former self in the earlier part of the game, and seeing as how trade with the Ottomans was more economically beneficial than Austria, I went to war against Austria. Apparently I had failed to notice their earlier massing of armies at my border, because as soon as war broke out they launched a blitzkrieg which netted them Wurttemburg and Hungary, and left me in a teneous position. I had no field armies in Germany, and I had gradually reduced my city garrisons in the region, foolishly thinking they were safe.

I had to act quickly. My French and Westphalian garrisons were strong, but Silesia and Munich were very vulnerable. I made peace with the Russians, and rushed my Eastern armies as quickly as I could to Germany. During that time I raised an army near Berlin, and frantically tried to bolster my Munich garrison. At one point I was given the option to intercept an Austrian army with my Munich garrison, and seeing as the odds were in my favour I did so, only to have my army thrashed and sent back to Munich. The Austrian army then besiged Munich, leaving me with only five turns to finish my Berlin army and rush them over to lift the siege. Fortunately I was able to rescue Munich in time, and I sent the Austrian army retreating into Italy. Remember that North African invasion force I created as well? I was able to divert them over to Europe, and with them I retook Wurttemburg, as well as capturing Alsasce-Lorraine in the process. The tide turned finally whem my two Eastern field armies arrived, and along with an army created at Warsaw I used them to take Vienna and deal a crushing blow to the Austrians. With the fall of Vienna Austria was left with only Serbia and Croatia. I used the Warsaw army and one of Eastern armies to finish off Austria, and wipe them off the map. With the end of the Austro-Prussian War of 1822, I had established myself as the largest great power in Europe. During the Austrian war Venice had entered the war on Austria's side, so I took Venice as well. Unfortunately Venice had managed to take the Ottoman capital of Istanbul, so it remains to be seen if the Ottomans will survive, or if I'll take over the Ottoman Republic from the Venetians.
That's quite a story, I'm glad you wiped out Austria in your game. For some reason I always and up with war with them. Can you perhaps post a screenshot of your progress?
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »

Wait, what? 1822? How long have you been playing as the Prussians? I have never even reached 1790 :/

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 10, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »
That's quite a story, I'm glad you wiped out Austria in your game. For some reason I always and up with war with them. Can you perhaps post a screenshot of your progress?

I don't know how to take screenshots... :/

Wait, what? 1822? How long have you been playing as the Prussians? I have never even reached 1790 :/

I like to take my time with world conquest. :P
I'm back people...

Offline PMorgan18

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 10, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I don't know how to take screenshots... :/

Steam has a screenshot hot key, you can use fraps, or screen cap.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 10, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
Steam has a screenshot hot key, you can use fraps, or screen cap.

What's this hot key?
I'm back people...

Offline PMorgan18

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 10, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »
What's this hot key?
Check your settings.  Mine is "*" but I have changed it so many times that I don't remember the original.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 10, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
Check your settings.  Mine is "*" but I have changed it so many times that I don't remember the original.
F12, IIRC.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »
Thanks, next time I get on E:TW, pictures.
I'm back people...

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
Seems we all decided to go to E:TW at the same time, I just started a russia campaign, its almost 1720 not and I am laying siege to Tehran in the south and marching on stockholm in the north. Made peace with the ottomans after taking the crimea, then some random islamic nation dow'd me and it took me ten years to suppress them, no idea where they got all those men from, and they had armies of line infantry and regiment of horse while I was still using cossacks. The swedes lost most of their army in two battles, I took riga and St Petersberg then they sent about 1000 men across the batlic, I defeated them chased them down and killed the last of them outside moscow. Then I took finland with a huge stack of men and cavalry. They sent an almost as big stack down to counter and we had a face off in the woods of northern finland. However, I managed to assassinate their general so it went downhill for them from there. Persia has proven to be an annoyance but not too bad.
...scum.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 21, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
Seems we all decided to go to E:TW at the same time, I just started a russia campaign, its almost 1720 not and I am laying siege to Tehran in the south and marching on stockholm in the north. Made peace with the ottomans after taking the crimea, then some random islamic nation dow'd me and it took me ten years to suppress them, no idea where they got all those men from, and they had armies of line infantry and regiment of horse while I was still using cossacks. The swedes lost most of their army in two battles, I took riga and St Petersberg then they sent about 1000 men across the batlic, I defeated them chased them down and killed the last of them outside moscow. Then I took finland with a huge stack of men and cavalry. They sent an almost as big stack down to counter and we had a face off in the woods of northern finland. However, I managed to assassinate their general so it went downhill for them from there. Persia has proven to be an annoyance but not too bad.
Nuuuuu me country :cry:

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
Nuuuuu me country :cry:

I won't hurt them... much, they started it anyway, sort of, not really... :/
...scum.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 21, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
>:c

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 21, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
LOL. :D
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 21, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »

Remember to send off Sweden's political leadership to be re-educated...
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »
Remember to send off Sweden's political leadership to be re-educated...
By the firing squad.
Toaster

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 22, 2013, 01:32:39 AM »
No no no, Russia only desires peace, we are a peace loving people. Peace can be achieved by giving me all the lands in Poland, the Balkans, Scandinavia and Persia. We are a peace loving people.
...scum.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 22, 2013, 01:50:08 AM »
No no no, Russia only desires peace, we are a peace loving people. Peace can be achieved by giving me all the lands in Poland, the Balkans, Scandinavia and Persia. We are a peace loving people.

Of the nuclear kind.

:P
Toaster

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile