Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176939 times)

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #650 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11:58 AM »
Peace through superior firepower my friend
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 22, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »
Peace through superior firepower my friend

Superior firepower? 18th Century Russia? I think you mean Prussia in that case, my friend, unless you meant superior numbers, or cannon fodder.
I'm back people...

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »
Superior firepower? 18th Century Russia? I think you mean Prussia in that case, my friend, unless you meant superior numbers, or cannon fodder.

Well prussia is an interesting case. They had half the population of any other great power but twice the army size. Fredrick the great said that the symbol of prussia should not be an eagle but a monkey because they aped all the other great powers. Its not a case of superior firepower or numbers but tactics and army discipline.

The russian military was huge, and generally well equipped, but poorly led. Their troops were stubborn as hell. When Napoleon invaded in 1812 they had one of the larest armies in the world with the best artillery in europe, better than napoleon for sure.
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 22, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
Well prussia is an interesting case. They had half the population of any other great power but twice the army size. Fredrick the great said that the symbol of prussia should not be an eagle but a monkey because they aped all the other great powers. Its not a case of superior firepower or numbers but tactics and army discipline.

The russian military was huge, and generally well equipped, but poorly led. Their troops were stubborn as hell. When Napoleon invaded in 1812 they had one of the larest armies in the world with the best artillery in europe, better than napoleon for sure.

I knew that one of the great advantages Prussia had over the others, was it's exceptionally disciplined army, and a well-trained officer corps. But I also thought they had superior firepower as well, guess I was wrong.

And I admit, I never thought of the 18th Century Russian military as well-equipped.
I'm back people...

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 26, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
So.. since everyone decided to start playing ETW again I gave it I try. This is my progress so far:

After the first few turns I declared war on Spain to bring Flanders back under my control, I won quickly but the war was a stalemate after that because my only army was defending it from both Spanish and French attempts to take it back. After a brutal siege battle the French army was annihilated, I took this opportunity to move for Alsace-Lorraine and took it.
After that I made a big gamble on trusting the English (my only ally) to keep the Spanish fleets away from me and left Amsterdam, Brussels and Strasbourg with only a token garrison and moved for Paris.

I won the siege and with that destroyed the French nation. I took some time to replenish my armies and destroyed two rebel uprisings in France while fending off small Spanish attacks. I was almost ready for a invasion of Madrid when Württemberg and Savoy declare war on me, I pulled all my forces from Brussels and Amsterdam (Where I was building a second army) towards Strasbourg to defend against the surprisingly large army of Württemberg, they were massacred in their failed attempt to take the city and I destroyed them.
I took this newly formed army to capture Savoy's only city and take all Spanish Italian possessions, The army at Paris was send south to take their homeland.

Both campaigns were short and successful and with the fall of Gibraltar the Spanish Empire was no more... For some idiotic reason Portugal thought it could take me on shortly after that, my Spanish invasion army was stationed at Madrid so you can imagine that they didn't last very long.

Now I'm building trade fleets and a new war fleet, I already got a full trade fleet in the east-indies and Ivory Coast, combine that with tax from former Spain and France I'm getting very rich very quickly.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
You destroyed France and Spain very quick there, wise. What difficulty are you playing on?

Keep calm and move along.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
You destroyed France and Spain very quick there, wise. What difficulty are you playing on?
Normal for both Battle and Campaign.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
Normal for both Battle and Campaign.
Okay, nice. It seemed as though you were playing on Easy :P

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 26, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
Okay, nice. It seemed as though you were playing on Easy :P
Nah, I have played ETW for more than 200 hours acording to Steam, conquered all of the world once, only lacked North America when I reached the time limit. (I didn't bother making a backup of the saves when I installed Win-7 so they're gone now  :( ) But I have quite a bit experience in the game.
Boo!

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • RakiaTime/feed?filter=2
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 26, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »
Nah, I have played ETW for more than 200 hours acording to Steam, conquered all of the world once, only lacked North America when I reached the time limit. (I didn't bother making a backup of the saves when I installed Win-7 so they're gone now  :( ) But I have quite a bit experience in the game.
North America is a waste of time anyway  :P
I realize that you are always prepared for a sudden random phallus, but for your own safety, shut your mouth!

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 26, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
Wat. I hate when grand strategy games impose time limits...
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 26, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
That's why I always mod my games.  :sorcerer:

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 26, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
The special thing with TW games (at least the old ones) is that you can continue playing after the time limit if you've completed your objective.  ETW is apparently no exception, as Grif is in the 1820's.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 26, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
The special thing with TW games (at least the old ones) is that you can continue playing after the time limit if you've completed your objective.  ETW is apparently no exception, as Grif is in the 1820's.
He must have modded it because the standard limit is 1799
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
Well I can't really say I know. The furthest I've ever gotten is on my current Sweden playthrough where the year is 1793.

Didn't know you could mod that game btw.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »

Nope, you can keep playing after the limit. At least that's how it worked with me, as it gave me the option. Don't even know how to mod.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 28, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »
Well, decided to play Crusader Kings 2 again after quite some time.

So here we are. The year is 1107, and the reign of King Inge I the Great ended in 1101 with the monarch dying a broken man in his bed, leaving his oldest son Algot to be crowned King Algot I.

The former king's vassals had little faith or loyalty to their new leige, and it only took a few months before Algot's uncle Bishop Gustav, who had long been a foe to King Inge, attempted to assassinate the young king. King Algot, not taking any excrement, immediately tried to arrest the treacherous Gustav, but failed. In response, Gustav rebelled against his true lord, breaking the Duchy of Finland, which King Inge had just conquered from the pagan heathens before he died, away from the kingdom.

But something else that Inge the Great had done, was greatly improve the strength of his personal army, and the other vassals were loyal enough to Algot to join him in his fight against his uncle. The war ended after two years with the capture and beheading of Bishop Gustav. Now the aristocracy was in chaos, however, and Algot attempted to please at least some of them by giving them more fiefs and titles by conquering the northernmost part of Finland, which was under control of a crumbling Norway. The fractured, bruised and disorganized Norwegians quickly surrendered, and the war was won, despite a sudden civil war between some of the Swedish nobles.

Sweden is now rebuilding from a long time of war, training troops and upgrading her defences. Her next objective is to, join together her eastern and western halves by conquering Lappland and the last remnant of Kvens, all while attempting to spread Christendom to the Norse and Sumonesko pagans. But it is all just a stepping stone in the grand dream: a single Northern Kingdom. A grand Scandinavian empire united under a single banner. And King Algot I does not plan on letting the grumpy old men he calls vassals stand in his way.

Wow, got a little excited there. In short, I finally understand the game, and now it goes smoothly and I really like it :P
Also, no, I did not cheat myself to that money. I ripped off the Germans :bandit:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:15:08 PM by Tobbs »

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
Well, decided to play Crusader Kings 2 again after quite some time.

So here we are. The year is 1107, and the reign of King Inge I the Great ended in 1101 with the monarch dying a broken man in his bed, leaving his oldest son Algot to be crowned King Algot I.

The former king's vassals had little faith or loyalty to their new leige, and it only took a few months before Algot's uncle Bishop Gustav, who had long been a foe to King Inge, attempted to assassinate the young king. King Algot, not taking any excrement, immediately tried to arrest the treacherous Gustav, but failed. In response, Gustav rebelled against his true lord, breaking the Duchy of Finland, which King Inge had just conquered from the pagan heathens before he died, away from the kingdom.

But something else that Inge the Great had done, was greatly improve the strength of his personal army, and the other vassals were loyal enough to Algot to join him in his fight against his uncle. The war ended after two years with the capture and beheading of Bishop Gustav. Now the aristocracy was in chaos, however, and Algot attempted to please at least some of them by giving them more fiefs and titles by conquering the northernmost part of Finland, which was under control of a crumbling Norway. The fractured, bruised and disorganized Norwegians quickly surrendered, and the war was won, despite a sudden civil war between some of the Swedish nobles.

Sweden is now rebuilding from a long time of war, training troops and upgrading her defences. Her next objective is to, join together her eastern and western halves by conquering Lappland and the last remnant of Kvens, all while attempting to spread Christendom to the Norse and Sumonesko pagans. But it is all just a stepping stone in the grand dream: a single Northern Kingdom. A grand Scandinavian empire united under a single banner. And King Algot I does not plan on letting the grumpy old men he calls vassals stand in his way.

Wow, got a little excited there. In short, I finally understand the game, and now it goes smoothly and I really like it :P
Also, no, I did not cheat myself to that money. I ripped off the Germans :bandit:
You're making some real progress there. One question, how did you rip off the Germans? I didn't know that was possible.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 28, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
You're making some real progress there. One question, how did you rip off the Germans? I didn't know that was possible.
Nah, I didn't really, that was just something I came up with right now :P

To be honest, I have no idea how I got that much cash. I just suddenly got a massive boost in income for no apparent reason which ended after 10 years, and what you see is the result :sorcerer:

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 28, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
Nah, I didn't really, that was just something I came up with right now :P

To be honest, I have no idea how I got that much cash. I just suddenly got a massive boost in income for no apparent reason which ended after 10 years, and what you see is the result :sorcerer:
eh, my army upkeep costs more than you have :D
I realize that you are always prepared for a sudden random phallus, but for your own safety, shut your mouth!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 28, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
eh, my army upkeep costs more than you have :D
Sweden is still quite a poor country. It doesn't have a lot of infrastructure and its population is small. My great goal in this game is to be able to take on the HRE.

But for now, I can amuse myself by bullying the pagan tribes :D King Algot is the nephew of the Holy Roman Emperor and cousin of the king of Hungary, so they got my back in case any civilized power attempted anything :sorcerer:

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 28, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »
Sweden is still quite a poor country. It doesn't have a lot of infrastructure and its population is small. My great goal in this game is to be able to take on the HRE.

But for now, I can amuse myself by bullying the pagan tribes :D King Algot is the nephew of the Holy Roman Emperor and cousin of the king of Hungary, so they got my back in case any civilized power attempted anything :sorcerer:
meahwhile i turned Spain in to a pagan country :D  and i'll be going for france next   :sorcerer:

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 28, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »
meahwhile i turned Spain in to a pagan country :D  and i'll be going for france next   :sorcerer:
You turned it pagan? How did you even do that? O.o

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 28, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
You turned it pagan? How did you even do that? O.o
my ruler is pagan :P

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 28, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »
my ruler is pagan :P
Ah. DLC. Fuq dat shiet, I'ma play vanilla.