Author Topic: Post your Strategy Game Status  (Read 176970 times)

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Strategy Game Status
« Reply #875 on: August 15, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »
Holy heck, it seems that Brazil is in this game, maybe not at the very start of it.

Maybe i'll buy EUIV, start as Brazil and totally screw up my game. :P
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 15, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »
Why can you convert CKII games to EUIV? They're not even the same game series. :|
They are both made by Paradox..
There always were fan made converters, hell you could start in CK2 convert it to EU3 at the end make it a Vic2 game and when you're finished with Victoria and play the last years in HoI3.

But the converters always were buggy so it's good Paradox made an official one now.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 15, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
They are both made by Paradox..
There always were fan made converters, hell you could start in CK2 convert it to EU3 at the end make it a Vic2 game and when you're finished with Victoria and play the last years in HoI3.

But the converters always were buggy so it's good Paradox made an official one now.
So I could continue my legacy across the ages!

Keep calm and move along.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 15, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
So I could continue my legacy across the ages!

Yay!
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 15, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
Yay!
So I just have to create an overpowered empire in CK2 and then roflstomp my way through the other games :sorcerer:

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 15, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
Haven't you played as Germany? I assumed you had to start as Prussia or Austria for that to be possible.
Bavaria, Rhineland, and Hanover never Prussia or Austria.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 15, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
Bavaria, Rhineland, and Hanover never Prussia or Austria.
So you played as those small little countries that are basically Prussia and Austria's pets and created Germany with them, which means that you probably went to war with both Prussia and Austria and defeated both of them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:51:52 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 15, 2013, 06:58:23 PM »
So I decided just now that with Total War: Rome II just around the corner, I'd get to learning me some proper battlefield tactics. Or at least basic and somewhat realistic. So I've decided to, for the first time, try a Medieval II Total War on maximum difficulty. I will play as the Holy Roman Empire, and I predict by the end of this I will have learned a new level of tactics, and to accept defeat, which I've had some trouble with since ever.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 15, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
So I just have to create an overpowered empire in CK2 and then roflstomp my way through the other games :sorcerer:
Yeah, pretty much.

So.. I tried my imported game where I made an independent Frisia and conquered Ireland starting as the duke of Flanders but it was pretty boring...

I had no real goal, and my neighbors France and the HRE were out of my league to go to war with (England was also part of the Holy Roman Empire in this game). I tried taking Scotland but it was just boring because of the lack of challenge..

So, I started a fresh game as the Byzantine Empire fully expecting to get wiped out by angry Ottomans within the first three decades... Only that didn't happen, I wiped them out!

You start the game with Constantinople, two tiny provinces in Greece a pitiful army and a navy that's not even worth mentioning. I like starting as a underdog, so that's good news!

The island of Rhodos is a core of mine but I can't touch them directly because its Independence was guaranteed by Venice, but I see Greek rebels pretty much ready to rise against them and join me so I discreetly start trowing money at them, they revolt and join me within two years.

Meanwhile me and my ally Serbia start and win a war with Bosnia I end up with three more provinces near the coast and Serbia annexes the rest. I also successfully take over Cyprus after they have a peasant revolt and their independence is no longer guaranteed by the Mamluks.

I spend some time building my army for the coming war with the Ottomans and fund Bulgarian rebels in their territory.

Finally in 1463, that's 19 years after the start of this game I see the perfect opportunity, the Ottomans and Mamluks are at war with each other and Bulgarian rebels are laying waste to the Ottoman Balkans.

I attack the Ottomans and suddenly an army of Greek patriot rebels rises up in Athens and they join me in the war. With three large (rebels and mine) and one small army in the Balkans it doesn't take long until all Ottoman troops there are wiped out. Their armies in Asia minor and Anatolia are tied up in the Mamluks war, I am winning.

But then! disaster, the Mamluks accepted a white peace and Hungary invaded Serbia, I abandoned my former allies and kept my army back while the Ottoman armies first took Constantinople giving me a -30 war score and then destroyed the Greek rebel army. They won but were severely damaged I attacked them and wiped what was left of their armies of the map.

They tried turning the war with new armies freshly recruited from their provinces on the other side of the Aegean Sea but I had dealt a death blow, they were on their knees and begging for peace.

After nine years of fighting the Ottomans gave up four provinces in the Balkans to the Bulgarian rebels, one to Serbia (They lost their war with Hungary but didn't lose any land) five provinces for me and kept their capital in Edirne.

I build up my empire after that and took Crete, Dalmatia, Corfu and Naxos from Venice. Fought and won a war with Serbia where I took a few provinces and released Bosnia.

I wait a few more years, the Mamluks take a large part of land from the Ottomans in a new war, they never recovered from their war with me. At this point the game tells me I have the second largest navy and seventh largest army in the game, with that thought in the back of my head I take Asia Minor from what's left of the Ottoman Empire.

And here I am now, the underdog Byzantium has pretty much total control of the eastern Europe and my navy dominates the Mediterranean and Black Sea.

I officially like EU 4!
Boo!

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 15, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »
So I decided just now that with Total War: Rome II just around the corner, I'd get to learning me some proper battlefield tactics. Or at least basic and somewhat realistic. So I've decided to, for the first time, try a Medieval II Total War on maximum difficulty. I will play as the Holy Roman Empire, and I predict by the end of this I will have learned a new level of tactics, and to accept defeat, which I've had some trouble with since ever.
Oww we totally have to post our progress in Rome II on this site, I've also pre-ordered it!
Boo!

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 15, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
I'll buy it too, but I expect to get slaughtered.
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 15, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »
Oww we totally have to post our progress in Rome II on this site, I've also pre-ordered it!
Points about why pre-ordering games is bad aside, I agree. Also, what faction are you going to start with? I just can't decide between Rome and Carthage. I'm feeling mostly for Carthage, because I like to reverse history. See how them Romans like their Punic Wars with a sudden boot up their ass.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 15, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.

So.. I tried my imported game where I made an independent Frisia and conquered Ireland starting as the duke of Flanders but it was pretty boring...

I had no real goal, and my neighbors France and the HRE were out of my league to go to war with (England was also part of the Holy Roman Empire in this game). I tried taking Scotland but it was just boring because of the lack of challenge..

So, I started a fresh game as the Byzantine Empire fully expecting to get wiped out by angry Ottomans within the first three decades... Only that didn't happen, I wiped them out!

You start the game with Constantinople, two tiny provinces in Greece a pitiful army and a navy that's not even worth mentioning. I like starting as a underdog, so that's good news!

The island of Rhodos is a core of mine but I can't touch them directly because its Independence was guaranteed by Venice, but I see Greek rebels pretty much ready to rise against them and join me so I discreetly start trowing money at them, they revolt and join me within two years.

Meanwhile me and my ally Serbia start and win a war with Bosnia I end up with three more provinces near the coast and Serbia annexes the rest. I also successfully take over Cyprus after they have a peasant revolt and their independence is no longer guaranteed by the Mamluks.

I spend some time building my army for the coming war with the Ottomans and fund Bulgarian rebels in their territory.

Finally in 1463, that's 19 years after the start of this game I see the perfect opportunity, the Ottomans and Mamluks are at war with each other and Bulgarian rebels are laying waste to the Ottoman Balkans.

I attack the Ottomans and suddenly an army of Greek patriot rebels rises up in Athens and they join me in the war. With three large (rebels and mine) and one small army in the Balkans it doesn't take long until all Ottoman troops there are wiped out. Their armies in Asia minor and Anatolia are tied up in the Mamluks war, I am winning.

But then! disaster, the Mamluks accepted a white peace and Hungary invaded Serbia, I abandoned my former allies and kept my army back while the Ottoman armies first took Constantinople giving me a -30 war score and then destroyed the Greek rebel army. They won but were severely damaged I attacked them and wiped what was left of their armies of the map.

They tried turning the war with new armies freshly recruited from their provinces on the other side of the Aegean Sea but I had dealt a death blow, they were on their knees and begging for peace.

After nine years of fighting the Ottomans gave up four provinces in the Balkans to the Bulgarian rebels, one to Serbia (They lost their war with Hungary but didn't lose any land) five provinces for me and kept their capital in Edirne.

I build up my empire after that and took Crete, Dalmatia, Corfu and Naxos from Venice. Fought and won a war with Serbia where I took a few provinces and released Bosnia.

I wait a few more years, the Mamluks take a large part of land from the Ottomans in a new war, they never recovered from their war with me. At this point the game tells me I have the second largest navy and seventh largest army in the game, with that thought in the back of my head I take Asia Minor from what's left of the Ottoman Empire.

And here I am now, the underdog Byzantium has pretty much total control of the eastern Europe and my navy dominates the Mediterranean and Black Sea.

I officially like EU 4!
Impressive. Also, I just noticed now that EU4 looks a lot like CK2. I thought it was CK 2 first, and that you had imported an EU3 map :P

Also, I love to play Byzantium in these kind of games. Again, probably because I like reversing history :sorcerer:

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 15, 2013, 08:28:08 PM »
Points about why pre-ordering games is bad aside, I agree. Also, what faction are you going to start with? I just can't decide between Rome and Carthage. I'm feeling mostly for Carthage, because I like to reverse history. See how them Romans like their Punic Wars with a sudden boot up their ass.
Well, it's Rome II total war, I am going to buy and play it regardless of what reviews it gets so I might as well pre-order and get some free DLC.

I think I'm going to play as Rome first, I just loved the Roman units in Rome I and if they are more or less the same I will also know what kind of tactics to use.

In the terrain map it looks about 95% the same, they only changed the province borders, made them a lot bigger. I am pretty sure they use the same engine, and paradox would want CK2 players buying EU4 so they did their best to make the mechanics the same.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:30:29 PM by wisekill1 »
Boo!

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 15, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
So you played as those small little countries that are basically Prussia and Austria's pets and created Germany with them, which means that you probably went to war with both Prussia and Austria and defeated both of them.

Yes, I am.
Bavaria is easy though.  Wait for Austria to get in a war then when they are losing strike and take Bohemia from them.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 15, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
Well, it's Rome II total war, I am going to buy and play it regardless of what reviews it gets so I might as well pre-order and get some free DLC.
Well the thing is, if you pre-order a game, no matter the company it's from, you are telling the game industry that they don't need to make good games, they just have to make them seem good so a lot of people will pre-order. Look at Aliens: Colonial Marines. That game's quality in comparison to it's demo is borderline false advertising, but they earned a excrement-tonne of money through pre-order. Besides, I bet my ass that those DLC's are going to be available anyway through some kind of not-so-limited limited edition, like with a lot of games through the years.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
Well the thing is, if you pre-order a game, no matter the company it's from, you are telling the game industry that they don't need to make good games, they just have to make them seem good so a lot of people will pre-order. Look at Aliens: Colonial Marines. That game's quality in comparison to it's demo is borderline false advertising, but they earned a excrement-tonne of money through pre-order. Besides, I bet my ass that those DLC's are going to be available anyway through some kind of not-so-limited limited edition, like with a lot of games through the years.
I know the DLC's will be available for other people but I get them for free because I pre-ordered. You'll have to pay if you want them.

And I know it sounds naive but The Creative Assembly is one of the few companies that I trust enough to pre-order.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 15, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
I know the DLC's will be available for other people but I get them for free because I pre-ordered. You'll have to pay if you want them.
Probably not. The last seven or so deals of similar kind had the DLC included in a "limited edition" which then turns out to be the only edition unless you buy the game on Steam. That's kind of how it works here at least.
And I know it sounds naive but The Creative Assembly is one of the few companies that I trust enough to pre-order.
Pre-ordering from one company will encourage the others. Just sayin'.

I for one have made it a principle never to pre-order games, no matter what.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 15, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »
Yes, I am.
Bavaria is easy though.  Wait for Austria to get in a war then when they are losing strike and take Bohemia from them.
I like how one can just assume that Austria loses. During all my game time on Vic 2 I have never once seen Austria win a war.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 16, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »
So I've started my Holy Roman Empire campaign on Medieval II. I'm currently on turn 19 and holy excrement I'm already noticing the difference. The AI is so much more aggressive now, and I can no longer base my strategies in that the enemy is dumb as bricks and instead I actually have to rely on my tactical sense for once. First thing I did in the game was run around and get trade and alliances with as many as possible. Wasn't as fool-proof as I hoped, as both Venice and Milan have both betrayed me already. First was Venice, who for some reason had decided not to enforce their borders before attacking me. I laid siege on a barely defended Venice, but waited too long to assault, and so I was backdoored by a Venetian army about 20%  bigger than mine. So that together with the ones inside the city, I was facing about 140% of my own forces.

Somehow, I managed to defeat them by having the main force squeezed in a narrow bridge, but my spearmen were reduced from 450 men to 18 men. I took Venice, but my army was severely weakened; I needed reinforcements bad. I gathered up a few hundred men from four different regions to reinforce Venice from an approaching Venetian counterstrike. But a wild Byzantine army appeared during my fight with Venice and took itself the liberty to stand on the only bridge in northeast Italy, and so blocking my only route to Venice through my own territory. So the three hundred men I had taken from Bologna simply had to go through Milan to get around the Byzantines and get to Venice.

That's where Milan saw it's opportunity I guess. They sent a small band of militia against my intended reinforcements. I defeated the militia, and got the chance to promote a new general in that group of reinforcements, whom I used to buy 900 mercenaries. So I now have a poorly defended Bologna, a decently defended Venice, and an army of 250 militiamen and 900 mercenaries in my Italian territories, with other regions being just about emptied to reinforce Italy with the exception of Vienna. And I have two strong armies - one Milanese and one Venetian - approaching from separate directions. If I can't defeat them both, or somehow come to a ceasefire with Venice and defeat the Milanese, I'm pretty sure my southern territories are gently-carressed.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:26:27 AM by Tobbs »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »
Yeah, pretty much.

I officially like EU 4!

Why does Genoa own part of Brittany?
I'm back people...

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:34 AM »
So I've started my Holy Roman Empire campaign on Medieval II. I'm currently on turn 19 and holy excrement I'm already noticing the difference. The AI is so much more aggressive now, and I can no longer base my strategies in that the enemy is dumb as bricks and instead I actually have to rely on my tactical sense for once. First thing I did in the game was run around and get trade and alliances with as many as possible. Wasn't as fool-proof as I hoped, as both Venice and Milan have both betrayed me already. First was Venice, who for some reason had decided not to enforce their borders before attacking me. I laid siege on a barely defended Venice, but waited too long to assault, and so I was backdoored by a Venetian army about 20%  bigger than mine. So that together with the ones inside the city, I was facing about 140% of my own forces.

Somehow, I managed to defeat them by having the main force squeezed in a narrow bridge, but my spearmen were reduced from 450 men to 18 men. I took Venice, but my army was severely weakened; I needed reinforcements bad. I gathered up a few hundred men from four different regions to reinforce Venice from an approaching Venetian counterstrike. But a wild Byzantine army appeared during my fight with Venice and took itself the liberty to stand on the only bridge in northeast Italy, and so blocking my only route to Venice through my own territory. So the three hundred men I had taken from Bologna simply had to go through Milan to get around the Byzantines and get to Venice.

That's where Milan saw it's opportunity I guess. They sent a small band of militia against my intended reinforcements. I defeated the militia, and got the chance to promote a new general in that group of reinforcements, whom I used to buy 900 mercenaries. So I now have a poorly defended Bologna, a decently defended Venice, and an army of 250 militiamen and 900 mercenaries in my Italian territories, with other regions being just about emptied to reinforce Italy with the exception of Vienna. And I have two strong armies - one Milanese and one Venetian - approaching from separate directions. If I can't defeat them both, or somehow come to a ceasefire with Venice and defeat the Milanese, I'm pretty sure my southern territories are gently-carressed.

The moment you had to go through Milan, you were in trouble. You might have to cut your losses and pull out, or risk having your army destroyed and leaving your southern, as well as core territories vulnerable.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 16, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
The moment you had to go through Milan, you were in trouble. You might have to cut your losses and pull out, or risk having your army destroyed and leaving your southern, as well as core territories vulnerable.
It's not that bad. I've got about as many soldiers in Italy as there are enemies approaching, if you include the ones I have garrisoned in the cities. The only real concern I have is if they attack at the same time, or more Milanese show up. But Venice is also at war with Hungary, who are my allies, so the approaching Venetian army might even take a detour to Hungary if I'm lucky. I have enough confidence in my battlefield ability to believe I can hold my ground against the enemy if they come separately.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:36 PM »
Why does Genoa own part of Brittany?
It is the result of my imported game, Genoa owns pretty much all of south Spain and Portugal, it also conquered everything directly south of Gibraltar, all the way from Morocco to Mali...

It was a powerhouse capable of winning wars with the HRE.
Boo!

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 17, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »
It is the result of my imported game, Genoa owns pretty much all of south Spain and Portugal, it also conquered everything directly south of Gibraltar, all the way from Morocco to Mali...

It was a powerhouse capable of winning wars with the HRE.

Clearly they've spawned some genius generals and leaders. Next thing you'll tell me is that the Knights of Malta have become a Mediterranean naval superpower, and that they're led by Crane wearing a Crusader costume from Walmart.
I'm back people...