Author Topic: PbP Idea thread  (Read 54919 times)

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
Re: PbP Idea thread
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »
I think there were several of these on the TZF, but I'd give it a try again.

Ahhhh...it's been overused technically.

Still, if people are willing to (re)try it, I'll ask Rin to make one.
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
You know what I would like? I would like to retry the Zombie survival RP. We need one of those. But this time there will be no place you need to go, just go wherever you think you would have the best chances of survival. And this time I'd have a character of my own.
I think the main reason that your current one failed was because you left it entirely up to the players. Because you didn't have a character in the game to sort of guide everyone, it slowly died down.

..Coupled with the fact that it was never bumped back up after it fell off of the recent posts list. Unless the playerbase is dedicated, it kind of has to be there to remind you that there are posts that need to be played.

Not to mention that story driven games tend to do extremely well when it has had a dedicated storyline that had to be followed from the very beginning

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
I think the main reason that your current one failed was because you left it entirely up to the players. Because you didn't have a character in the game to sort of guide everyone, it slowly died down.

..Coupled with the fact that it was never bumped back up after it fell off of the recent posts list. Unless the playerbase is dedicated, it kind of has to be there to remind you that there are posts that need to be played.

Not to mention that story driven games tend to do extremely well when it has had a dedicated storyline that had to be followed from the very beginning
Uhm...I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with this info, but okay I guess...

Keep calm and move along.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2012, 11:05:37 PM »
Uhm...I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with this info, but okay I guess...
Basically, make sure you have a character to push forward the game, and make sure it doesn't go off the recent posts list on the home page.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »
Basically, make sure you have a character to push forward the game, and make sure it doesn't go off the recent posts list on the home page.
As you may have noticed, I said I will have my own character this time to push on the story. All I need is players.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »
Super Hero/villian Open world RP. Make it happen.

Though I recommend it have a strong character Sheet that defines really well what stats someone has, I recommend a Marvel super hero stat comparison where Intelligence Agility Strength and other such attributes are measure in numbers, that are fairly set.

Also no god modding of course.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

Though I recommend it have a strong character Sheet that defines really well what stats someone has, I recommend a Marvel super hero stat comparison where Intelligence Agility Strength and other such attributes are measure in numbers, that are fairly set.

I still don't see why no one like the Fallout-style open-world RP...it's a brilliant idea...:dry:
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
I still don't see why no one like the Fallout-style open-world RP...it's a brilliant idea...:dry:
...that has already been used. In fact, overused.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
I tried playin one. and it died. and currently have no interest in Fallout for now.

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »

Hmm, intriguing.
Yes, could be interesting.

“The lesson is this - the game is rigged. The cards are stacked. The dice are loaded. And that’s why we don’t play their fragging game. We don’t swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It’s why we run the shadows…”

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
So, new idea I had for a game.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Imagine a group of prisoners; captured in the dark of night, and thrown into a damp, cold cell without as much as a word from their unknown jailors. Beaten and starved for days on end, how many they can't know, and then brought through narrow tunnels, blindfolded and naked, before being placed in the wooden confines of a ship and sent off towards their doom.

Why are they taken? Because they possess the powers to manipulate the world around them; power the world resent and fear and so believe that those in possesion of it need be kept away from normal folk. Magic is the word, the reason for their capture, a rare and powerful gift to many, or a feared curse for others.

You are these prisoners. Taken because of the magic, and because your betters deem you too weak, too dangerous or too mad to be allowed such power. Where are you going? To Parthernas, or the Bastion ,the prison for  those with the gift who are deemed necessary to lock away.

There we go! A group of magelings who, for whatever reason, are sent off towards a prison and mental asylum for mages (and other things perhaps).
Anyone finding this premise interesting?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:14:10 PM by Godur »
“The lesson is this - the game is rigged. The cards are stacked. The dice are loaded. And that’s why we don’t play their fragging game. We don’t swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It’s why we run the shadows…”

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »

Imagine a group of prisoners; captured in the dark of night, and thrown into a damp, cold cell without as much as a word from their unknown jailors. Beaten and starved for days on end, how many they can't know, and then brought through narrow tunnels, blindfolded and naked, before being placed in the wooden confines of a ship and sent off towards their doom.

Why are they taken? Because they possess the powers to manipulate the world around them; power the world resent and fear and so believe that those in possesion of it need be kept away from normal folk. Magic is the word, the reason for their capture, a rare and powerful gift to many, or a feared curse for others.

You are these prisoners. Taken because of the magic, and because your betters deem you too weak, too dangerous or too mad to be allowed such power. Where are you going? To Parthernas, or the Bastion ,the prison for  those with the gift who are deemed necessary to lock away.

There we go! A group of magelings who, for whatever reason, are sent off towards a prison and mental asylum for mages (and other things perhaps).
This sounds really good. Have you worked out any specific details? Like how this magic thing will work? Is it elemental? (fire magic, water magic, etc.) Can you create something out of nothing or do you have to use something around you that already is there? (bending)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:34:15 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »

This seems interesting...please continue...
I'm back people...

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
This sounds really good. Have you worked out any specific details? Like how this magic thing will work? Is it elemental? (fire magic, water magic, etc.) Can you create something out of nothing or do you have to use something around you that already is there? (bending)

Well, what I have in mind is that there will be a number of Schools (in lack of better word) of magic, and that these are in a sense different ways of viewing, and utilizing, the raw and chaotic power of magic. In a sense the mage has to vizualise magic from a specific point of view before they can use it, as if through a lense.

Then there's the level of commitment into one, or several, School(s) that determines what a mage can and cannot do. The more focused one is the more ways can they manipulate their school and the more impressive effects can they achieve. A mage with very high levels of mastery in one school will be able to generate their spells seemingly out of nothing where a less experienced one may need a vast array of foci, symbols and reagents to help their concentration.

Of course, there are costs associated with spellcasting. Both in the sense of expendable resources, like reagents or the physical strength of the mage to name two, but also the very direct effect which magic has on the mage themself. With no exception any mage who reaches a certain threshold of control over magic will also unavoidably be changed and partly controlled by it. Essentially a more focused mage will ultimately become physically and mentally altered to accomodate their increased focus into one school.

What does this mean mechanically? 

Well, it means that a mage will have one primary School, into which they've put most of their devotion and discipline, and a number of secondary ones. These make up the very basis of their spellcasting. They'll also have a number of points to allocate among these to give a rank ranging from 1 to 10, where 1 represent the most basic of knowledge and 10 is exceptional prowess.

Now, I'm not going to go into specific details of what a mage with ,say, 10 in fire can do compared to one with 5, rather I'm going to say that they both -can- do pretty much the same feats, but that the mage with 5 in Fire will need significantly more preparation, symbols, reagents, foci and what-have-you to succeed. Ultimately it'll be down to GM fiat if one spell succeeds or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the world:
The game will take place in a reasonably low fantasy medieval setting, which is populated by more or less only humans and fantasy creatures will be for the most part be the stuff of legends. They exists of course, and a lot of people will suspect or even know that they do, but most of the populace will haev never seen one. 

One of the things that people do know exist are the mages of course. They're there, they have a place in society; serving the lords and kings and other powerful entities and organisations. That is to say, those few mages that so far have not been deemed dangerous have a place in society, and they are constantly watched by an organisation called Disciples of Odna, an order of knights, priests and inquisitors who have as their charge to protect society from rogue magi (and creatures).

There's no trial for a mage caught by the Disciples. Be it due to the whims of an influencial noble or because they actually pose a threat to people it's seldomly something which matters when in the hands of these men and women, and a mage is as a rule either executed on the spot, or sent of to the prison.

As for society as a whole, and on a more local level:
Locally a city, town or fiefdom will be ruled by a noble, usually a Count or Baron but sometimes also a Duke. Powerful and wealthy they are only subject to one person; the King, and even then many of them are largely independent. Not only that but they also form up a noble's council twice annually who together have the power to influence the King's decisions.

Below the nobles is the church and its Disciples of Odna, but not far below as in some cities they are more influencial than the nobles, and it's been known that knights of the Disciples have been granted noble titles themselves. Officially however they are below the nobility, and answer to their whims and the whims of the King.

Then we have the guilds, merchants and other wealthy individuals who, thanks to their wealth and importance in running the cities, have a great deal of influence at least on a local level in their settlements. Men-at-arms that aren't militia are generally counted into this group as well.

Craftsmen, traders and jsut about anyone else who lives in a city come next; Burghers as they are called. They are many, being the second largest group of people in the nations, though despite this have very little say in the ruling of their home cities. Instead they generally have to contend with what their betters decide.

Further down the ladder is the peasantry. Farmers and heavy manual labour almost exclusively. They make the workhorse of the nations, and is by far the largest group as well. They have practically no say whatsoever beyond the People Councils that form they form together with the burghers bi-annually or so, and even then their role is strictly advisory at best.

The group below them conists of the unwanted and despised; beggars, criminals, traitors and, of course, rogue magi among others.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »
Well Crane got me thinking...how many of you guys would actually try an Alternate History PBP game? With a POD say around 1945, and with limited space colonization.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
That depends on how alternate we are going to be. I will try it out if I get to play as a united Scandinavian nation.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
That depends on how alternate we are going to be. I will try it out if I get to play as a united Scandinavian nation.

Well I wasn't thinking Fallout if that's what you're worried about, and I guess its possible that Sweden would have tried to revive the Kalmar Union post-WWII.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »
Well I wasn't thinking Fallout if that's what you're worried about, and I guess its possible that Sweden would have tried to revive the Kalmar Union post-WWII.
Fallout never crossed my mind. I mean that could we be really alternate with history? Such as we can play as almost any country while at the same time being a super power, and alter history to make it right. For example, Sweden wins the battle of Poltava, indirectly defeating the Poles. Charles XII both survives and succeeds his second Norwegian campaign, effectively conquering all of Norway. Later on, Denmark and Iceland are also conquered. And such the nation of Scandinavia is created, which will by the time of this game be a super power.

This will allow us to play as almost any nation we want and not be severely weaker than everyone else.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
Fallout never crossed my mind. I mean that could we be really alternate with history? Such as we can play as almost any country while at the same time being a super power, and alter history to make it right. For example, Sweden wins the battle of Poltava, indirectly defeating the Poles. Charles XII both survives and succeeds his second Norwegian campaign, effectively conquering all of Norway. Later on, Denmark and Iceland are also conquered. And such the nation of Scandinavia is created, which will by the time of this game be a super power.

This will allow us to play as almost any nation we want and not be severely weaker than everyone else.

The Battle of Poltava? 300 years leads to a pretty huge butterfly effect...
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
The Battle of Poltava? 300 years leads to a pretty huge butterfly effect...
And this is the outcome. The era of the Swedish empire never ended, but instead only grew stronger. But they still got smacked around a bit by Russia, so they didn't become this huge empire. Just Scandinavia (and Finland).

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »
And this is the outcome. The era of the Swedish empire never ended, but instead only grew stronger. But they still got smacked around a bit by Russia, so they didn't become this huge empire. Just Scandinavia (and Finland).

True, but remember how cause and effect works. A Swedish controlled Scandinavia would have drastically changed the balance of power, which in turn would have lead to further drastic changes. Consider WWI and WWII, with the Swedish Empire never going into decline but instead expanding, they would have quite different from the ones we remember. Its possible they may never have happened at all.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
True, but remember how cause and effect works. A Swedish controlled Scandinavia would have drastically changed the balance of power, which in turn would have lead to further drastic changes. Consider WWI and WWII, with the Swedish Empire never going into decline but instead expanding, they would have quite different from the ones we remember. Its possible they may never have happened at all.
But I really want to play as a united Scandinavia.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »
But I really want to play as a united Scandinavia.

Well lets see...if I recall correctly, Nazi Germany never invaded Sweden, instead taking Denmark and Norway. Now however lets imagine that during the allied campaigns in France and Northern Europe, Sweden makes the decision to enter the war on the side of the allies. Working with the allies and the Danish and Norwegian Resistance, Sweden helps liberate Denmark and Norway from Nazi occupation. Seeing as at this point the Nazi's are being pushed back on two fronts, they can't really retaliate against Sweden, but its possible they may have gotten a couple of bombing runs on Stockholm.

Now with Sweden in control of Denmark and Norway (only to a certain extent), lets say the grateful populations of both countries become enthused with the Swedes and Allies. This might have led the Allies to letting Sweden unite Scandinavia under a pro-allies power bloc, with Denmark's and Norway's blessing. Then with the resulting Cold War, you'd have a progressively more neutral Scandinavia in between two opposing power blocs, which would have changed things a bit. Lets say Scandinavia starts a military buildup, just so they can adequately hold off the Soviets with NATO assistance. Besides that lets assume the Cold War goes mostly as it normally did.

So now while its not a great empire, you do have unified Scandinavia with the potential to become a great power in its own right, and it keeps the butterfly effect to a point where we can still understand what's going on. I'll admit this scenario really stretches it. but hey so do other Alternate Histories.
I'm back people...

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
Well I do have my own alternate history I'd like to implement, one that may work even better with the rise of sweeden as a superpower
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
Well I do have my own alternate history I'd like to implement, one that may work even better with the rise of sweeden as a superpower

I'm interested, please continue.
I'm back people...