Author Topic: Game IV IndustrialCraft Minecraft Server  (Read 51601 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
Re: Game IV IndustrialCraft Minecraft Server
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:06 AM »
Is it okay that I claimed that whole Mountain Region? The Reason I am building that wall is as an Enclosing to the range, I just thought that if I built it that way it would look scenic.

I think Mikethor is in that area.  There may be others as well... Minimum springs to mind.

I however have no issue with things over in that area.  My claim lies in the spawn mountains.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »
I think Mikethor is in that area.  There may be others as well... Minimum springs to mind.

I however have no issue with things over in that area.  My claim lies in the spawn mountains.
I meant the mountains immediately next to mine. I already know where Mike and the others are. It shouldn't hinder them

Offline Kikaimegami

• Machine Goddess
  • Administrator
  • リジョンマンセル
    • kikaimegami
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »
We've got four substations up and running off the power grid. Major inputs are the factory (mostly renewable energy, some geothermal), and Fox's oil rig (almost entirely solar right now). Substations will be placed along the road as I get it to you and I'll tell you how to tap into it. You can both pull from the grid and contribute energy back to it.

The current substations are:

Red - electromage, Vanyamuina
Yellow - mikethor
Green - El Destructo
Cyan - Camp, PMorgan, Mazder

If you're listed and don't know how to tap into the power grid, let me know and I can show you what to do.

All substations have an MSFU available from the road level for recharging your stuff for free. If a substation doesn't have coloured lights atop it, that means it's not part of the power grid, but the MSFU should still be charged from the solar and wind mills on the roof.

The current unpowered stations are:

Orange - At the T-intersection that splits to Red, Yellow, and Green
Blue - Halfway between Red and Cyan.

Is it okay that I claimed that whole Mountain Region? The Reason I am building that wall is as an Enclosing to the range, I just thought that if I built it that way it would look scenic.
I'm fine with it. Your neighbors appear to be mikethor and possibly Minimum, so you may want to make sure they're both cool with that. Also, I'm bringing the road to you now.

It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit
 It's a far cry from the way we thought we'd share it
 You can almost feel the current flowing
 You can almost see the circuits blowing

Offline Minimum

• this.getPersonalText();
    • minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »

Uhh you don't mean that open plane area that is directly below the mountains right?  I started making a construction site in that area yesterday.

Offline IvantheDugtrio

• TGMBITHOTU
    • i32a45d
    • Ninja-Iguana
    • IvantheDugtrio
    • IvantheDugtrio
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:08 AM »
So generally speaking how would the grid be laid out? Also are there factions in this server?

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »
Uhh you don't mean that open plane area that is directly below the mountains right?  I started making a construction site in that area yesterday.
As soon as I get on I will see if it conflicts with my projected area.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:21 AM »
So generally speaking how would the grid be laid out? Also are there factions in this server?
No factions that i know of.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:05 AM »
Keep away from the mountains and you are good. I just want my wall to traverse all the mountains, and attach back to the first tower.

Offline Mazder_Verhal

• I have a bad feeling about this...
    • http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031547390
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
I'm not making a rail system, really, just a highway, though I would like to put a subway under it in the future. I've never really planned out a rail system before, though. I'm getting a road system in place so I can begin planning out a power grid.

EDIT: The road has reached near mikethor's place, and I plan on extending it to reach SenHai's great wall of China or whatever the hell that is. I'm coming from the other direction (the factory) to reach Minimum, probably, since I don't want to mess up the nice waterway between mike and senhai.

I've also started a road out to Camp, PMorgan, and Mazder, but that will take some time to complete.

EDIT2: This is the map I'm partially basing things off of but it's at least a week behind: http://map.rumfish.net/game-iv/#layerId=LayerA&worldX=-73&worldY=0&worldZ=465&zoom=3 I'm still surveying things myself before actually building roads.
Wow, we have an oil platform?
I know, right?!?!

I need to explore more.

Also I'll hook up to the power grid once I have more machines to use the power and provide power back.
Ans I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes with where I built my place.
I built in the desert so It's not really in anyone's way while I build myself up to the tech level. :D
Come look at my art.
Deviantart: http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://mazderverhal.tumblr.com/
Leave ideas or critiques or anything with me there or anywhere you can reach me. :)

Offline Kikaimegami

• Machine Goddess
  • Administrator
  • リジョンマンセル
    • kikaimegami
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
Brown station is online, which is by SenHai. I've started the road to Minimum and Ivan.

Substations are along the road system I'm building and I'm attempting to get them close enough for people to tap into without conflicting with their own build areas. You'll still have to contribute HV lines and transformers to get the power the rest of the way to your main buildings and convert it into usable energy for yourself. If I'm on, I can help you set it up, but you'll still be required to contribute resources to actually get it up to your door. I may be more lenient on this if you're capable of providing a substantial contribution to the power grid itself, of course.

There are no factions and it's assumed that everyone is loosely working together. You all have your own areas and "properties" that nobody else should be messing with, but if someone intentionally harms anyone else's areas, then there will be a problem. Don't steal resources from your neighbor, don't build on their stuff, don't destroy their stuff, etc. I'd still highly encourage you to use personal safes for any of your really important items, just in case. Feel free to trade resources and services with each other. We don't have any kind of economy or government in place at the moment, but you're more than free to make deals among yourselves :)

It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit
 It's a far cry from the way we thought we'd share it
 You can almost feel the current flowing
 You can almost see the circuits blowing

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
Yeah, my account has been "migrated" and now i'm locked out of multiplayer.

I can log in and fire up the game in the browser (of course it doesn't work because of the mods), but my login always fails when done through the PC client.

This is utter bollocks.

EDIT: Note, I recovered my username at their site and it's STILL the same, yet when I try to recover the password, "User not found". Something is definitely borked over there.

EDIT2: By wiping the minecraft folder and allowing the browser version to download everything, i can play through the browser. But the desktop client steadfastly refuses to login.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:04:39 PM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
The only thing I could suggest is to contact support for Minecraft and see whats going on.  They performed database upgrades about 2weeks ago, which at this point could now be impacting users as they switch over to the new system.  If this is the case I would not be surprised if others have this issue as well.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
The only thing I could suggest is to contact support for Minecraft and see whats going on.  They performed database upgrades about 2weeks ago, which at this point could now be impacting users as they switch over to the new system.  If this is the case I would not be surprised if others have this issue as well.
This has been a recurring problem in the forums, with miriad of solutions.

Problem is, I have the latest java. And the flippin' thing started borking out on its own. I left the computer on during the night, didn't install anything different. Yesterday it was logging in, today it isn't.

Can't for the life of me find any sort of contact email or page there. Just that simplistic self-help form that doesn't help at all.
Toaster

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
This has been a recurring problem in the forums, with miriad of solutions.

Problem is, I have the latest java. And the flippin' thing started borking out on its own. I left the computer on during the night, didn't install anything different. Yesterday it was logging in, today it isn't.

Can't for the life of me find any sort of contact email or page there. Just that simplistic self-help form that doesn't help at all.

You can try hitting up Jeb or Notch on twitter.  They seem to respond quickly to those.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
You can try hitting up Jeb or Notch on twitter.  They seem to respond quickly to those.
It was a SSL certificate cock-up. They allowed it to expire without replacing it with a new one.  x|
Toaster

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »
It was a SSL certificate cock-up. They allowed it to expire without replacing it with a new one.  x|

I believe this is relevant:

DERP!
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
Yeah, Coke Ovens cause lag.
Toaster

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
So, almost all of the mods are 1.1 compatible now.  The exceptions are PowerConverters and NetherOresTehKrush took over development of powercrystal's mods, and right now it is a wait and see to see if PC gets updated or not.  I may or may not; later today setup a dev environment for minecraft to see if it is possible to fix

Note: MineyMineMine gave me a link for NetherOres to 1.1

If *we* upgrade the server to 1.1 with out those mods, we will need to comb the server (both worlds) and remove all of the power converter devices.  If I *can* I'll throw a poll up to see if that is something folks want to do or not.  The final decision will be up to DrTran, I am just laying all the options out on the table.

If we do upgrade, it will be hopefully anticipated to be done no later than Sunday night/Monday, which I would hope would give the actives enough time to log in to the server and gather their work, or relocate from the nether until it is regenerated.

Additional note on the upgrade, even if TehKrush updates the mods or I fix them so they work, ALL POWER from IC devices (mfe,mfsu,batbox, etc) WILL BE drained from the system completely.  There was a massive code change done to Industrial Craft.

Info
Storage blocks don't emit redstone power anymore by default due to interference with nearby transformers. The plan is to add a button to the GUI which allows different modes. Currently, only a "emit redstone if full" mode is implemented, but disabled by default. You can enable it via config. Watch for Transfos sitting next to your dear storages.
- New config setting to disable ore and rubber tree generation
- Major internal changes, outsourcing item references into the API
-Overhauls regarding the system of energy storing of items via NBT Tags. This will deplete all your current save's items to 0 EU, but provide faster and more accurate access in future.

This update will deplete the energy levels of all items! Recharge them by normal means to get them back to functionality.

TL;DR if we update we may loose netherores and powerconverters.  If we do it will be majority vote if said mods can't be updated.  Also the update will completely drain the industrial craft storage devices. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:42:31 PM by amwdrizz »

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
If we do upgrade, it will be hopefully anticipated to be done no later than Sunday night/Monday, which I would hope would give the actives enough time to log in to the server and gather their work, or relocate from the nether until it is regenerated.
Wait what? A nether map reset?

Losing Powerconverters will invalidate all geothermal setups in the nether. Mass fabricators will go at a snail's pace if not fed by either a monstrous solar array or various reactors.
Toaster

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 01:14:42 AM »
At current time, we won't have to reset the nether.  Beleive I updated that post... anyways, we are waiting on PowerConverters to become 1.1 compliant.  And yes, we do know it is one of the more heavily used mods on the server. 

There is supposedly an alpha version of it, the download link was messed and has since vanished.  The mod manager knows about this and is working on correcting this issue.

In other news, until it is tested later every player *may* have to remove all of their GeoThermal Mark II Generators.  Industrial Craft 1.64 has updated the geothermals to accept lava directly form a buildcraft pipe.  We will test fully before it goes live on the server, and regulars will be encouraged to join the test server when it is live. 

The reason why you may have to remove the geothermal mark II is that in the latest powerconverter alpha it is removed.  (The source is avail, I just really don't want to compile it atm)

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 01:26:43 AM »
Lol. Machines. I has not built a single one yet. the most I have gone outside of vanilla is building a few iron furnaces. Though mike did allow to use his macerator, which was nice.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:48 AM »
Seriously, now the server seems to have crapped itself. I was quietly painting some construction foam and then BAM! End of Stream. Now it always results in that for me. WTF?

EDIT: Seems to have been temporary. Looked like the server wasn't being able to provide chunks. Might even have been something on the internet along the routing path...

EDIT2: Talked too soon. Happened again.

EDIT3: I can connect again, but it seems like the server is providing chunks much, much more slowly than usual. Ping stays relatively the same as always, and my internet is working as always.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:19:43 AM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline Mazder_Verhal

• I have a bad feeling about this...
    • http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031547390
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
Lol. Machines. I has not built a single one yet. the most I have gone outside of vanilla is building a few iron furnaces. Though mike did allow to use his macerator, which was nice.
Heh, all I have gotten is a digger and furnace set up with a few generators and bat boxes. :D
Come look at my art.
Deviantart: http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://mazderverhal.tumblr.com/
Leave ideas or critiques or anything with me there or anywhere you can reach me. :)

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:46 PM »
Seriously, now the server seems to have crapped itself. I was quietly painting some construction foam and then BAM! End of Stream. Now it always results in that for me. WTF?

EDIT: Seems to have been temporary. Looked like the server wasn't being able to provide chunks. Might even have been something on the internet along the routing path...

EDIT2: Talked too soon. Happened again.

EDIT3: I can connect again, but it seems like the server is providing chunks much, much more slowly than usual. Ping stays relatively the same as always, and my internet is working as always.

We are well aware of the server crapping itself, its not a memory issue but a CPU bottleneck.  We (Tran, kikai and me) are trying to figure out the root cause of it so the problem can be fixed and try to prevent it from happening again.  As of last check (when the server was restarted and Tran was watching the console) there were ~100+ force chunk loads.  Because of the way the chunk loaders work, it can cause more strain on the CPU.  We are in mild agreement (IE it could be the problem but we still are unsure) that this may be the issue.  Another thing that will cause additional CPU usage is water flows.  IF anyone has been draining from the ocean to power their devices, it could be very well the issue.  As we did that on our test server and it did cause lag.

Now if you ask for more CPU power it sadly can not be done.  The server has what it has, and the VM for minecraft is tapped out cpu wise.  Since the server has been up, we've been Pegged at 100% CPU usage, memory usage has never gone over 60% (The server is allotted 2GB of ram)

Update v1.1 Information
We now have the client side of all the mods working at 1.1, and this now includes any previous mods that have not been updated.  We are waiting on a bugfix to one mod before we do a test run on SMP of the server.  I have created an installer for the Client mods, and right now I am waiting for the server side before I release the client files.  More information on that when it become available.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
We are well aware of the server crapping itself, its not a memory issue but a CPU bottleneck.  We (Tran, kikai and me) are trying to figure out the root cause of it so the problem can be fixed and try to prevent it from happening again.  As of last check (when the server was restarted and Tran was watching the console) there were ~100+ force chunk loads.  Because of the way the chunk loaders work, it can cause more strain on the CPU.  We are in mild agreement (IE it could be the problem but we still are unsure) that this may be the issue.  Another thing that will cause additional CPU usage is water flows.  IF anyone has been draining from the ocean to power their devices, it could be very well the issue.  As we did that on our test server and it did cause lag.

Now if you ask for more CPU power it sadly can not be done.  The server has what it has, and the VM for minecraft is tapped out cpu wise.  Since the server has been up, we've been Pegged at 100% CPU usage, memory usage has never gone over 60% (The server is allotted 2GB of ram)

Update v1.1 Information
We now have the client side of all the mods working at 1.1, and this now includes any previous mods that have not been updated.  We are waiting on a bugfix to one mod before we do a test run on SMP of the server.  I have created an installer for the Client mods, and right now I am waiting for the server side before I release the client files.  More information on that when it become available.
A CPU bottleneck? Oh boy.

I for one haven't been draining from the ocean to power water generators. I have three 5x5x1 "infinite" pools of water to handle that. I say "infinite" because one of them gets drained dry all the time.

I also tried out using two chunloader blocks, but as they don't seem to work when there's no one in the nether (i had placed them in the nether next to my mass fabricator), i took them back and stuffed them in a chest.

I might have not used them well though. Don't really know if it's necessary to place a teleport pipe somewhere near them.

Now, there's one thing we've all (all the ones using geo mkii's) been doing: draining lava from the nether, and as i've seen, that creates a LOT of currents in the lava pools.

What i was alluding to is that it was downright weird that as I painted CF walls, the game got progressively "laggier" up until the point when a End of Stream would occur.
Toaster