Author Topic: Windows 10 Supports Native MKV Playback and Two Factor Authentication Login  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Rune

• View Profile
[float=left]
Image source: Neowin[/float] So it has finally come, that Windows Media Player will no longer be the most useless player of all time. Microsoft has apparently decided to support higher quality codecs by including MKV support directing into the coming version of Windows. You will need build 9860 or higher of the technical preview to use the playback feature, though it is still a little glitchy.

Also new to Windows: the option to activate two factor authentication! If someone steals your computer and knows your password, your computer is essentially open to anything (though most information is not encrypted anyway). Now Microsoft has added the option to send a passcode to a mobile device or, if your device supports it, fingerprint identification, in addition to a standard hexadecimal or image password.

Enough to make up for Windows 8? Maybe.

Sources: http://www.windowscentral.com/new-windows-10-preview-build-joins-xbox-one-adding-mkv-file-support
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2837612/windows-10-to-get-twofactor-authentication-builtin.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:32:58 AM by Rune »

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
This is pretty great news! I suppose getting an upgrade soon wouldn't be that bad of an idea after all.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
This is pretty great news! I suppose getting an upgrade soon wouldn't be that bad of an idea after all.
I still think its ugly. They need to add back Aero when not running on battery.

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
I just wish Microsoft knew how numbers work.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
I still think its ugly. They need to add back Aero when not running on battery.
I actually like the solid colours... plus you still can add in transparency... it just wont have the "glass" effect. Anyhow, I can't wait to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out, mainly because I'll be getting it for free (Dreamspark + I already have Windows 8), but also because I have had no problems with Windows 8 so far and it brings in several features from Windows Phone which I have grown to love, Cortana being one.

That said, I'll likely switch it up to continue using the Metro start screen because its more efficient.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
That said, I'll likely switch it up to continue using the Metro start screen because its more efficient.
On mobile devices like phones and 2-in-1's you will get the option to use the tile menu. On desktops without a detectable touch display, the option may be (is currently planned to be) disabled.
I just wish Microsoft knew how numbers work.
But 7 8 9.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
On mobile devices like phones and 2-in-1's you will get the option to use the tile menu. On desktops without a detectable touch display, the option may be (is currently planned to be) disabled.
Thats really going against everything that we've been hearing about Windows 10 from people like Mary Joe Foley and Paul Thurrot. The plan is for there to be an override switch within the task bar options and even if they do disable it, you can always do a simple registry switch to bring it back... or in my case use my Wacom Tablet since the computer will think it is touch-capable.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Thats really going against everything that we've been hearing about Windows 10 from people like Mary Joe Foley and Paul Thurrot. The plan is for there to be an override switch within the task bar options and even if they do disable it, you can always do a simple registry switch to bring it back... or in my case use my Wacom Tablet since the computer will think it is touch-capable.
Just going from what I see in the technical preview. It won't let me turn the tile menu on with a stated reason of no touch input available.