Author Topic: [Garry's Mod] Paranoia  (Read 8054 times)

Offline Minimum

• this.getPersonalText();
    • minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
[Garry's Mod] Paranoia
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
Paranoia Overview:
Paranoia is a Garry's Mod gamemode in which humans are pitted against aliens. At the start of the round there is a preparation time when everyone can go find weapons and items. After that time is over a certain amount of humans are randomly picked to become an alien host. Their identities are unknown to the humans and it is up to the humans to find out who the aliens are and eliminate them. Meanwhile, the goal of the aliens is to infest or eliminate every human player before the round comes to a close.

To keep things interesting, humans are given tasks in which they need to complete. These random tasks are scattered throughout the map. If a human fails to complete a task, they will suffer. This helps eliminate camping and grouping.

Ideas (Please Comment):

Infestable Bodies (Unconfirmed)

When a human is killed they will become a ragdoll like in TTT.
    If an alien in alien form uses their ragdoll they will also become an alien.
    Even if the human was killed by another human, their body can still become infested. This further punishes DMing by giving the aliens a huge advantage.
    The human that was killed will become an alien spawn until their body is infested.
    When a player's body is infested, it will notify that person of the infestation. They will be able to jump back to their body at any time by pressing E.
    Any infestable bodies will show up on every alien's vision, much like how T's can see other T's through walls.
    Only previously human bodies are infestable. Aliens that die in either their human or alien form cannot be reinfested.

Stress (Unconfirmed)

This "Stress" system would be very similar to the "Karma" system in TTT. As you accumulate more stress from DMing your vision will become blurry and your damage will suffer. The more stress you have the worse it will be.

Feign Death (Unconfirmed)

Humans and aliens would be able to feign death. Robots and alien spawns would not be able to feign death.
    Aliens would be able to tell if a human is feigning by looking at them.
    To go into feign position you would press Z.
    To get back up normally you would press E.
    To get back up and instantly jump into alien form you would press Q.

Tasks (Completed)

I found the old task system to be pretty unrealistic and brutal. You would literally die if you took 5 seconds too long to find the shower. In this remake you will suffer from failing to complete a task but not to an absolutely brutal degree. For every second over your task deadline, you will loose 1 health per second. This will not kill you, but it will lower your health down to 1 HP.

Weight (Completed)

The more weapons you have the slower you will move.  You cannot expect to be armed like a tank yet move like a cheetah.  Likewise, you will only be able to pick up so many weapons before your weight doesn't allow you to pick up any more.

Progress:
[7-31-12]
Project officially resumed and brought back to life.
Basic serverside systems (classes, costumes, game loop, names, needs, weapons, weight) complete.
Basic clientside systems needs finishing.
Paranoia Development WIP #1

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
Re: [Garry's Mod] Paranoia
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
You couldn't put this on ModDB could you?

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »
You couldn't put this on ModDB could you?

I'm not sure.  It's not really a full on mod.  Either way I've had problems with ModDB in the past.  One of their admins was abusive and they wouldn't do anything about it.  That was back in 2006 but I still don't trust them.

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »
I'm not sure.  It's not really a full on mod.  Either way I've had problems with ModDB in the past.  One of their admins was abusive and they wouldn't do anything about it.  That was back in 2006 but I still don't trust them.

I've seen lesser things on ModDB; sorry to hear about your bad experience though. So are you doing this all by yourself?

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
I've seen lesser things on ModDB; sorry to hear about your bad experience though. So are you doing this all by yourself?

Yeah all of the gamemode coding is done by myself.  There are a couple of things being used that I didn't make like the SWEP base.  All of the assets I'm using are all currently existing Garry's Mod assets.  As far as the maps go I am using maps that were made for the gamemode that this gamemode is based off of.  I also have someone making a map for this gamemode.

So far the hardest part of doing this gamemode is working around and resolving issues that I encountered with Garry's Mod and/or Source.  Researching and trial & error was also a significant time sink.

Right now I'm working on streamlining the client/server messaging and making sure the client works on late joins.  After I finish that I can work on client side effects like the alien form nightvision.  After that it'll be ready for beta testing where I'll tweak the balancing based on the telemetry I get and player input.

After the beta I'll work on fixing up the smaller issues like the weapon sounds not all playing how they should.  In the video you can see that when the player brings the bolt back on the weapon there is no sound.  That's a limitation in the SWEP base I'm using so it will require tweaks there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:47:51 PM by Minimum »

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »
Worked on it a little today.  Here is the summary of what I've done:

Found the issue of the non-textured player models.  It seems to be the models themselves.  I imported another custom model (Tali) and it worked just fine.  Here is a video showing the comparison:

Paranoia Playermodel Glitch

Found a problem with the SWEP base I'm using.  For some reason it places the weapon directly below the player instead of in their hands.  I've already had reworking the SWEP base on my list of things to do.  This is just another thing I'll have to fix when I go in there.

Fixed gender names not matching their player model.  This was a simple fix.

Changed the class text on the HUD to name text.  Your class can be determined by the color of the HUD, your need, or the scoreboard.  Having your in-game name on the HUD is more useful than your class.