Author Topic: Minecraft for Xbox 360  (Read 4384 times)

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
Minecraft for Xbox 360
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
Minecraft:360
Platform: Xbox 360
Overall Score: 7/10
Graphics Score: 8/10
Game play Score: 4/10

Minecraft for the Xbox 360 is, and is not, made by Mojang.  The core Minecraft game we all know and love is made by Mojang, but the 360 port was not.  It was done by a third party company, with instructions and help from Mojang as needed.  Because of this, it does have some flaws that are apparent compared to the PC version of Minecraft.

First off, you can't play with your PC friends, as Minecraft on the 360 uses your Live gamer tag and does not auth against the Minecraft.net servers.  So it is console only, but I have yet to really try the MP of Minecraft:360 as I do not have anyone to try it with. 

Controlling your character in Minecraft, is well the same as any game on any console.  It works, but you cannot use a keyboard and mouse.  I've tried it and it failed as it is not an input option. 

Crafting is a big thing in Minecraft, and while I like mods like CraftBook to help you out with the recipes, in the PC version you still have to craft it yourself.  On the other hand, in the 360 version it becomes: you have supplies, select the item and it will auto craft for you.  I could not figure out a way to perform 'normal' crafting as you do on the PC in the 360 version.

A benefit of the 360 that is not yet seen on the PC, is that the client and server are combined.  You no longer play SP, you play SMP.  This makes it very easy to open your world to friends on the fly and continue playing.

One very noticeable down side on the 360 is that it is at least 4 major versions behind the PC counter part.  Hunger wasn't an option in my game, and you could still shear sheep by hitting them with your hand.  These would put this version of Minecraft around the 1.7-1.8 time line, which is to be expected, since that is about the time when Mojang announced it being ported to the 360.  If you are used to the 1.0+ features of the game, they sadly are not there, nor are most of the additional world biomes.  In addition to it being an earlier version, it also lacks creative mode, from what I experienced.

The last major issue I experienced with the 360 version is the torch lighting.  Even above ground, it only has a dim light up to 3 blocks in distance, as opposed to the fade out distance of up to 8 blocks  seen in the PC version.  This causes you to use more torches per area to light. 

Overall, at 113-120 MB in size, I would suggest a Pass on this version of Minecraft.  There is no need to go out and spend the 1600 MS Points the game itself costs.  If you have the extra points doing nothing as I did, I'd get it.  But it isn't the first choice in what games to purchase in the Arcade. 

Proof read by El-Destructo

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft for Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
One question:
Is it really limited to a map of 1000x1000 blocks?

A benefit of the 360 that is not yet seen on the PC, is that the client and server are combined.  You no longer play SP, you play SMP.  This makes it very easy to open your world to friends on the fly and continue playing.
Actually, the latest weekly snapshot already includes at least part of this. When you fire up your own world, you also fire up a server in the background.

There's no easy mechanism for someone joining another person's world yet though. Also, to guarantee that only yourself can connect to your world, you have to add yourself to a whitelist and enable it.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
I realized that I left the world Size out when I wrote that, but yes it is limited to 10,000x10,000 blocks

And on the combined server aspect, while yes the PC's are now just getting it is a nice touch.  But the 360 port has it working 100%

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:29 PM »
Doesn't sound too bad. But yeah, new features would be nice. Already have it for PC so it would be useless for me to get it for 360.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
I realized that I left the world Size out when I wrote that, but yes it is limited to 10,000x10,000 blocks
Ouch.
That hurts. Then Again I have never traveled that far in game anyways. But it does limit those who like to explore.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »

And on the combined server aspect, while yes the PC's are now just getting it is a nice touch.  But the 360 port has it working 100%
And it can put a serious hurdle on people that expect a lot of varied biomes. 10000 x 10000 is a bit too small for MC to generate all biomes with current biome generation code.
Toaster

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
I bought it... took awhile to get out of the tutorial as I was doing 3 player splitscreen, and just going for cheevos and building a castle in the tutorial zone

Also, I noticed it had a DLC menu option with a specialized look instead of the standard "Bring up marketplace guide tab"... So I'm assuming that they are planning some DLC, or else why bother putting in all the effort for the specialized look?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:11:22 PM by killer rin »

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Crafting is a big thing in Minecraft, and while I like mods like CraftBook to help you out with the recipes, in the PC version you still have to craft it yourself.  On the other hand, in the 360 version it becomes: you have supplies, select the item and it will auto craft for you.  I could not figure out a way to perform 'normal' crafting as you do on the PC in the 360 version.
I'm not entirely sure how this is a negative.

It makes crafting faster, and less of a "How the hell do I do this?" factor.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:31:55 AM »
I'm not entirely sure how this is a negative.

It makes crafting faster, and less of a "How the hell do I do this?" factor.

At that point you might as well just play in creative mode.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:48:50 AM »
At that point you might as well just play in creative mode.
Not true. You still need to put forth effort to get the materials, and deal with Mobs and Survive.

I see no problem with it.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 05:02:07 AM »
Not true. You still need to put forth effort to get the materials, and deal with Mobs and Survive.

I see no problem with it.
Hmmm...Kinda makes me wonder why the hell Notch had the brilliant idea of making us guess as to the position of things in the crafting grid when he could've simply implemented it this way.
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Hmmm...Kinda makes me wonder why the hell Notch had the brilliant idea of making us guess as to the position of things in the crafting grid when he could've simply implemented it this way.
No idea, maybe he thought it would be more fun.

It is in some ways, but what jdog said though, it doesn't take away much from the game at all, changing it that is