Author Topic: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (Planning/Q&A)  (Read 13207 times)

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (Planning/Q&A)
« on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
STAR WARS
Edge of the Empire

Or; How I Learned to Stop Caring and Just Love the Sith

Oh hi thar! I am your not-so-friendly neighborhood XT Vengeance, and I will be your Emperor for this RP. So just read what i have here, take a look at the pretty pictures, and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

First off, this rule system is Narrative. That means that there is far less focus on the minutia of locations in a grid during combat, and excrement like that. Instead, the game system has a more fluid motion to it, allowing both you as the players, and me as the GM, to concentrate on the story telling and the characters.

The main tool in said system that is at the center of this focus is the dice.
Spoiler for Star Wars Dice:

Now I know that these dice look strange, but hear me out first. Each of these dice are used in particular ways to add fate/chance to the game.(This is a game after all) When you try to do something; like open a locked door, pickpocket someone's wallet, or knock someone out in a cantina brawl; you make a roll using a dice pool. The positive dice; ability, proficiency, and boost dice; are all based on your skills, stats, and any beneficial circumstances like a friend lending you a hand. Negative dice; difficulty, challenge, and setback die; are all based on how difficult the action is, and any detrimental circumstances, such as trying to run away from pursuers in torrential rain. I can/will explain more about this when I run the first session.

Another part of this game that makes it so great is the sheer magnitude of options for character creation and advancement. There are 21 official races, eighteen careers, and a total of fifty-five specializations. Instead of leveling up, you use your experience points to purchase ranks in skills, purchase talents from your specialization, or even buy additional specializations. When you first make your character, you will be given a set amount of experience points, and a base stat line for the species you have selected. I fully recommend that you spend as much of your experience points as you can on upgrading your stats, as character creation is the only time you will be able to do so. I will explain all of the details of character creation when/if you decide to join.

Spoiler for Races:
Human
Droid
Twi'lek
Rodian
Gand
Wookie
Bothan
Trandoshan
Duros
Gran
Ithorian
Mon Calamari
Sullustan
Cerean
Kel Dor
Mirialan
Nautolan
Togruta
Zabrak
Chiss
Selonian
Spoiler for Careers/Specializations:
Spoiler for The Bounty Hunter:
Assassin, Gadgeteer, and Survivalist
Spoiler for The Colonist:
Doctor, Politico, and Scholar
Spoiler for The Explorer:
Fringer, Scout, and Trader
Spoiler for The Hired Gun:
Bodyguard, Marauder, and Mercenary Soldier
Spoiler for The Smuggler:
Pilot, Scoundrel, and Thief
Spoiler for The Technician:
Mechanic, Outlaw Tech, and Slicer
Spoiler for The Ace:
Driver, Gunner, and Pilot
Spoiler for The Commander:
Commodore, Squadron Leader, and Tactician
Spoiler for The Diplomat:
Ambassador, Agitator, Quatermaster
Spoiler for The Engineer:
Mechanic, Saboteur, and Scientist
Spoiler for The Soldier:
Commando, Medic, and Sharpshooter
Spoiler for The Spy:
Infiltrator, Scout, and Slicer
Spoiler for The Consular:
Healer, Niman Disciple, and Sage
Spoiler for The Guardian:
Peacekeeper, Protector, and Soresu Defender
Spoiler for The Mystic:
Adviser, Makashi Duelist, and Seer
Spoiler for The Seeker:
Ataru Striker, Hunter, and Pathfinder
Spoiler for The Sentinel:
Artisan, Shadow, and Shien Expert
Spoiler for The Warrior:
Aggressor, Shii-Cho Knight, and Starfighter Ace
Spoiler for Universal Specializations:
Force-Sensitive Exile, Recruit, and Force-Sensitive Emergent
Even is some of the classes seem similar, they all have distinct lists of career skills, as well as their own unique talent trees. The Universal Specializations are useful, but expensive ways to improve/expand your character.

As far as the setting for this campaign, I will decide after characters have been created. The time however will be around a month after the Battle of Yavin and the destruction of the First Death Star. You can expect to travel to many different worlds and see many different things, from flesh eating jungles, frozen wastelands, bustling cities, and bleak deserts, to the chaos of interstellar armadas slugging it out in orbit.

Any and all who are interested, please feel free to post in this topic or send me a PM.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:14:47 PM by XT Vengeance »

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Alright, I'll try this out. One question, though - is it possible to be an actual Sith in this game? Or were Palpatine and Vader canonically the only Sith of this era?

Also, as I'm making a post anyway - does anyone know why the Star Wars calendar starts counting after the battle of Yavin? I mean, like 98% of the Star Wars lore takes place before that.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »
they were not the only Sith, they were just the only major Sith Lords that were known. Palpatine had many acolytes and such that were trained in the ways of the dark side, but were not necessarily Sith. While it is possible for you to become Sith, it would be very difficult to do. Falling to the dark side would be easier, however, you must remember that you will be part of a group, and they may turn on you if you keep murdering or torturing people.

As to the second question; I believe it is due to that being the major turning point in the Galactic Civil War. It was not until after the destruction of the first Death Star that the Empire took the rebellion seriously.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »
Droids will be customize-able as to how they look right? Cause I don't want to be limited to whats there in movies.

Time for the return of Omegus. This was what I had my Previous droid look like, except it was down sized cause Muk didn't want it too big :(. So maybe 9 foot tall would be okay cause I think the actual is much bigger.

However I believe I had muk delete my character sheet cause I was in a bad mood. lol. Hindsight is 20-20.

But I will just flesh out it again. I wonder what career would suit me. I want to be tankish, and be able to self repair. Not sure if I want range or CC proficiency though. Maybe some kind of big ass Shotgun for this guy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:20:08 AM by LordNecross »

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:31:07 AM »
As a suggestion, I'd put "OOC: " in the title of the thread. It'll help to differentiate it once you get the Game Thread up

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 04:40:37 AM »
we need to get XT GM privileges. Or else this game is moot.

Also another suggestion, for XT, This may be useless information as you may already practice this but the best way to keep a game alive is to have mandatory updates. Weekly basis, and have a mandatory post length. Especially since this will be story driven.

In a RP I am in on another site, this formula works and seems to keep the game thriving as it gives people plenty of time to post.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 04:50:28 AM »
we need to get XT GM privileges. Or else this game is moot.

Also another suggestion, for XT, This may be useless information as you may already practice this but the best way to keep a game alive is to have mandatory updates. Weekly basis, and have a mandatory post length. Especially since this will be story driven.

In a RP I am in on another site, this formula works and seems to keep the game thriving as it gives people plenty of time to post.

I just PMed Tran on both TZF and on Game-IV, so I'm hoping he'll get the message when he logs into one of them.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:20:15 AM »
they were not the only Sith, they were just the only major Sith Lords that were known. Palpatine had many acolytes and such that were trained in the ways of the dark side, but were not necessarily Sith. While it is possible for you to become Sith, it would be very difficult to do. Falling to the dark side would be easier, however, you must remember that you will be part of a group, and they may turn on you if you keep murdering or torturing people.

As to the second question; I believe it is due to that being the major turning point in the Galactic Civil War. It was not until after the destruction of the first Death Star that the Empire took the rebellion seriously.
Okay, then. IIRC though, Palpatine was somewhat of a human supremacist, so I'm not sure if he'd have an alien as an acolyte. Sure, he had Maul before, but I'm not sure now that he has an entire galaxy of humans at his disposal.

I think the turning point of a rebellion is a strange point to restart the time count, though. Lots of things happened in the Old Republic Era that were bigger than the galactic empire alltogether. Hell, restarting it after the Yuuzhan Vong war which came afterwards would have made more sense due to its cataclysmic properties.

Also, now that I'm on it, what are these universal specializations and what do they do? And if I take one, can I not have a profession together with that?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:22:35 AM by Tobbs »

Offline Godur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
Two questions:
First, will we have our own spaceship? Every Edge of the Empire game needs one.

Second, I noticed that you've added some force-sensitive classes to the list as well (mystic, warrior etc.) and wondered if this means that you have access to supplements that expand on the use of force abilities? The stuff in core felt a bit underwhelming last time I checked. (Admittedly this is intentional) I guess I'm mostly interested in knowing how viable a force-using character really is.

“The lesson is this - the game is rigged. The cards are stacked. The dice are loaded. And that’s why we don’t play their fragging game. We don’t swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It’s why we run the shadows…”

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
Spoiler for Have something to lessen the Wall of Text:
Okay, then. IIRC though, Palpatine was somewhat of a human supremacist, so I'm not sure if he'd have an alien as an acolyte. Sure, he had Maul before, but I'm not sure now that he has an entire galaxy of humans at his disposal.

I think the turning point of a rebellion is a strange point to restart the time count, though. Lots of things happened in the Old Republic Era that were bigger than the galactic empire alltogether. Hell, restarting it after the Yuuzhan Vong war which came afterwards would have made more sense due to its cataclysmic properties.

Also, now that I'm on it, what are these universal specializations and what do they do? And if I take one, can I not have a profession together with that?
Universal specializations cannot be taken as your first choice. They are supplementary, as they help you give your character general training. The Recruit Specialization is used to give a character general combat training, as well as make them tougher in combat situations. The other two specializations are options for those who may wish to become force users at a later point in the game. They give general-use powers and the sort.

All three of those cost more that normal, as they are very strong.
Two questions:
First, will we have our own spaceship? Every Edge of the Empire game needs one.

Second, I noticed that you've added some force-sensitive classes to the list as well (mystic, warrior etc.) and wondered if this means that you have access to supplements that expand on the use of force abilities? The stuff in core felt a bit underwhelming last time I checked. (Admittedly this is intentional) I guess I'm mostly interested in knowing how viable a force-using character really is.

To answer your first question; Yes. You will have a ship. Whether it is something one of you has had for a while, is lent to you, or you steal it, has yet to be decided.

To answer your second question; Yes. I have in my possession physical copies of Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and the Force and Destiny Beta. Force using characters are very viable, albeit a tad more complex than their non-force-sensitive counterparts.

Droids will be customize-able as to how they look right? Cause I don't want to be limited to whats there in movies.
*snip*

But I will just flesh out it again. I wonder what career would suit me. I want to be tankish, and be able to self repair. Not sure if I want range or CC proficiency though. Maybe some kind of big ass Shotgun for this guy.
I would greatly prefer that you used something that already exists in Star Wars, or at the very least looks like it belongs, I believe that we can work something out. Remember that something that looks like that would stand out like a sore thumb to pretty much everyone.

As a suggestion, I'd put "OOC: " in the title of the thread. It'll help to differentiate it once you get the Game Thread up
Game thread? I am not 100% sure how something like that would work, as rolls require me to tell you what happens. I would greatly prefer that we set up a time when we all can meet in a voice chat to run sessions. It works wonders for all the other games I have ran and/or played in. I believe that I have said before that Roll20.net is great for setting these up, as well as the fact that I can run it in a Google hangout (For which I happen to have a EotE Dice Roller App). If you all would like, I could find a premade campaign to help you all learn the basics.

If you all are available tomorrow or Saturday afternoon/night, I have off those days, and we can work out Character Sheets and that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:12:03 PM by XT Vengeance »

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »
It seems this game would not be as I thought it would. I'm pretty sure my mic's broken, so I can't take part of any voice chats until I buy a new headset.

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
It seems this game would not be as I thought it would. I'm pretty sure my mic's broken, so I can't take part of any voice chats until I buy a new headset.
Well, after thinking about it, I could work it out to be just forum based, but it will require me to do even more work (which I am okay with). The thing is, you would not be able to just pick a lock, you would have to declare in your post that you are going to try to do that, and then wait for me to post what happens. I would need to keep track of all of your character sheets as well as my NPCs. Combat would work much the same way, but with an Initiative order. I don't really know how you guys feel about it, but I greatly prefer to do my own rolls, and non-EotE dice can be used, they just are a pain in the ass to convert. So if you guys are okay with trusting me to the rolls, I think it might be able to work.

Let me state that I while I am okay with this, I would still prefer the more traditional approach, as it is easier to get excrement done. For example, a single game session can last anywhere from 2-6 hours, and that can contain several skirmishes, as well as plenty of dialogue, drama, and snap decisions. It also allows the players to play off of each other much quicker.

The pros of the other way would be that we do not have to meet at a set time, can take our time to think about our situations, and it will allow you all to focus more on your characters personalities instead of focusing on stats. The cons are that it does shovel the majority of the work on me and it is very hard to force split second decisions (something that is crucial in combat and dramatic situations).

Regardless, I will do my best to be entertaining, at the very least.

P.S. Oh, and when we finally decide, I will make and OOC and actual Game thread if necessary.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »
I'm okay with not being part of this game if it would mean sparing everyone else of inconvenience.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
Hmmm...actual sessions using voice? I might have to stay out of it due to time zones. And Real Life.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
Well, just so you guys know what my schedule is, I work on Third shift. That means from 9 pm central US to 8 am Central US, I am at work. My week starts on Sunday night and ends Friday morning, unless I have overtime. Again, I am open to trying it your guy's way, it would just take some getting used to.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 05:38:17 PM »
I'll gladly take part in the game, voice-chats would be fairly simple since I'm on the Eastern U.S timezone.

Could I be a Dathomirian? The normal Zabrak facial features don't really interest me, and I like the force-sensitivity.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »
I'll gladly take part in the game, voice-chats would be fairly simple since I'm on the Eastern U.S timezone.

Could I be a Dathomirian? The normal Zabrak facial features don't really interest me, and I like the force-sensitivity.
You can be a red or orange zabrak, if that is what you are asking, then yes. If you are referring to the cartoon series, it is not cannon. Darth Maul was from Iridonia. Force sensitivity is something that depends on your class. Regardless, I am sure we could work something out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:07:32 PM by XT Vengeance »

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
Never mind I'll keep out of this one.

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
Never mind I'll keep out of this one.
Well, if your reason for not wishing to participate is because of how you want your character to look, we can work something out. I just would need you to come up with a reason for your existence. Being a prototype war or guard droid would work. You just have to put effort into your story.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
Well, if your reason for not wishing to participate is because of how you want your character to look, we can work something out. I just would need you to come up with a reason for your existence. Being a prototype war or guard droid would work. You just have to put effort into your story.
That is exactly his origin anyways. He wasn't going to look that clean, that is just the body type(Show his age since he was made, dulled ceramic plating and such). He has hands instead of arm guns as well.

However what I mean is because I don't have 2-6 hours I can dedicate to play any one day. Forum style suits my available time more. But I understand its difficulty. I will join if it can work as a forum game, but I can't make time for a skype game right now.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:36:46 AM by LordNecross »

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 09:39:24 PM »
I kinda want to be a Vaapad user...
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
I kinda want to be a Vaapad user...
Wasn't Mace Windu the only user of that style?

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 11:05:29 PM »
Wasn't Mace Windu the only user of that style?
Canonically, there were four users of the style. I suppose it wouldn't really make sense, then...

Juyo, then.

Offline XT Vengeance

• Revenge shall be mine.
    • XT Vengeance
    • XT Vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
Canonically, there were four users of the style. I suppose it wouldn't really make sense, then...

Juyo, then.
The only styles that are in the rules are Shii-Cho, Soresu, Shien, Ataru, Makashi, and Niman. One for each characteristic.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 02:17:16 AM »
The only styles that are in the rules are Shii-Cho, Soresu, Shien, Ataru, Makashi, and Niman. One for each characteristic.
Shien, then. But can I have it reverse-grip?