Author Topic: OOC: Frontier: The Void  (Read 305789 times)

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: OOC: Frontier: The Void
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
But aliens don't speak French D:
Make them speak french then. :sorcerer:
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »
Civilization Traits

These traits define the nature of the Civilization, and it effects research times, the types of technology that can be easily researched and how a particular civilization acts and performs.

Warmonger- This civilization is highly militirized and tends to be agressive in actions, it benifits from being always combat ready, and tend to have larger military forces. In attacks they can strike first in an invasion(Defenses that would shoot at them upon arrival are ignored) first turn. However in actions with other races besides war, they suffer penalties, because of reputation, though may be more sucessful in using fear.

Imperialist- Recieves Bonuses in naval construction, and bonuses in establishing colonies on already populated worlds. They suffer in relations with non-imperialist civilizations, they can also suffer from societal inrest in colonies. Usually have smaller military

Scientist- Recieve bonuses in terms of research, however not in all areas. Scientist trait is directly affected by other trait choices. It may only be tied to one trait though. Example, Scientist Warmonger gives bonus to military based Research only, Imperialist gives bonuses to Naval based Research, etc. The Negative is the fact that it does not give research bonuses across the board.

Explorer- Recieves bonuses related to travel, gets an intial boost to attaining FTL travel. For the dice rolls related to discovery in a system, they may elect for either a Re-roll or moving the roll one option up or down.  They also have some bonuses related to establishing colonies, on worlds without a population. (Negatives pending)

Peace-Keepers - The good guys (Sorta), they are willing to go out and help in other conflicts, for the sake of peace. They get bonuses in interaction, and some military. They can suffer from a degrading reputation as they tend to get involved even when unwanted.

Theocratic- Stronger Moral and society based on a Religious doctrine. They have bonuses when attempting to convert another society to their religion. Can be Militiraized or Peaceful, if militirized it gets military research bonuses but suffers in its reputation, if Peaceful get bonuses in interactions and civilian research.

Corporate- Bonuses economically, and trade. Suffers in reputation.

This is what I have so far, may need help fixing these descriptions and such and adding more, as I am sure more traits could be added.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
But that does not make sense unless they were previously colonized by the French x|

Keep calm and move along.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
However. "FRENCH IS ACTUALLY A LANGUAGE INVENTED BY ANCIENT SUPER ALIENS!" Is an excuse that is not allowed in this game. Human Languages are always Human Origin.

You may however use a human Language for Aliens, but the excuse is just similar language developement between the two races. Or hell.....i don't know they picked up ancient french broadcasts and for some reason adopted the language.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
Nein!

Bad servant!

*Grif smacks Mike with a rolled up newspaper

Civilization Traits

These traits define the nature of the Civilization, and it effects research times, the types of technology that can be easily researched and how a particular civilization acts and performs.

Warmonger- This civilization is highly militirized and tends to be agressive in actions, it benifits from being always combat ready, and tend to have larger military forces. In attacks they can strike first in an invasion(Defenses that would shoot at them upon arrival are ignored) first turn. However in actions with other races besides war, they suffer penalties, because of reputation, though may be more sucessful in using fear.

Imperialist- Recieves Bonuses in naval construction, and bonuses in establishing colonies on already populated worlds. They suffer in relations with non-imperialist civilizations, they can also suffer from societal inrest in colonies. Usually have smaller military

Scientist- Recieve bonuses in terms of research, however not in all areas. Scientist trait is directly affected by other trait choices. It may only be tied to one trait though. Example, Scientist Warmonger gives bonus to military based Research only, Imperialist gives bonuses to Naval based Research, etc. The Negative is the fact that it does not give research bonuses across the board.

Explorer- Recieves bonuses related to travel, gets an intial boost to attaining FTL travel. For the dice rolls related to discovery in a system, they may elect for either a Re-roll or moving the roll one option up or down.  They also have some bonuses related to establishing colonies, on worlds without a population. (Negatives pending)

Peace-Keepers - The good guys (Sorta), they are willing to go out and help in other conflicts, for the sake of peace. They get bonuses in interaction, and some military. They can suffer from a degrading reputation as they tend to get involved even when unwanted.

Theocratic- Stronger Moral and society based on a Religious doctrine. They have bonuses when attempting to convert another society to their religion. Can be Militiraized or Peaceful, if militirized it gets military research bonuses but suffers in its reputation, if Peaceful get bonuses in interactions and civilian research.

Corporate- Bonuses economically, and trade. Suffers in reputation.

This is what I have so far, may need help fixing these descriptions and such and adding more, as I am sure more traits could be added.

Imperialist nations would also get trade bonuses, as a primary driving force behind imperialism is trade and economy, not just territorial acquisition. Imperialist powers are also not just naval-focused, they could be army-focused. Better to make it that a power has to choose between focusing on the navy or army. Imperialist powers could also be militarized, or more focused towards cultural imperialism. But you've got the diplomacy stance straight. Imperialist powers don't really respect minor powers, only powers that could rival them.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
However. "FRENCH IS ACTUALLY A LANGUAGE INVENTED BY ANCIENT SUPER ALIENS!" Is an excuse that is not allowed in this game. Human Languages are always Human Origin.

You may however use a human Language for Aliens, but the excuse is just similar language developement between the two races. Or hell.....i don't know they picked up ancient french broadcasts and for some reason adopted the language.
If Humans had been space-faring for a long time, the reason could have been that Humans of French origin colonized them. But that doesn't seem like an option.

I KNOW :sorcerer:
They do not speak French, but their language is extremely similar to French, so they speak French to Humans because it is the easiest for them to learn. Of course, I'll write their words in English, but it is officially French.

French is by the way one of my favourite languages, that's why I wanted it in.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Imperialist nations would also get trade bonuses, as a primary driving force behind imperialism is trade and economy, not just territorial acquisition. Imperialist powers are also not just naval-focused, they could be army-focused. Better to make it that a power has to choose between focusing on the navy or army. Imperialist powers could also be militarized, or more focused towards cultural imperialism. But you've got the diplomacy stance straight. Imperialist powers don't really respect minor powers, only powers that could rival them.
And other nations who aren't Imperialst tend to dislike Imperialists, especially Peace-keepers.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
But that does not make sense unless they were previously colonized by the French x|

I was being facetious. :P
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
Bad servant!

*Grif smacks Mike with a rolled up newspaper

These are traits meant to give bonuses, I can't give Imperialist more bonuses than the other traits. Unless the bonuses are really really tiny across the board.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »
Alright I wrote some more, will post updated traits later.

Right now though, we need to figure on a ship building system, and what percentage should be built, and how many can be built in one go.

I think these rules should be pretty lax, so no super slow ship building, only on large ships. Frigates and Destroyers should be fairly rapid. Cruisers slower, and Capitals or Dreadnaughts even slower.

Ideas? I don't think it should be too slow, but something decent. Like maybe large things like caps(Battleships and the sort, such as large Carriers and excrement) should be 5% every other page, and probably limited on how many at a time can be made.

Also a Navy Cap(Amount of ships max) should be thought of. Grifs Smaller Navy will definitely come into play here.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »
Alright I wrote some more, will post updated traits later.

Right now though, we need to figure on a ship building system, and what percentage should be built, and how many can be built in one go.

I think these rules should be pretty lax, so no super slow ship building, only on large ships. Frigates and Destroyers should be fairly rapid. Cruisers slower, and Capitals or Dreadnaughts even slower.

Ideas? I don't think it should be too slow, but something decent. Like maybe large things like caps(Battleships and the sort, such as large Carriers and excrement) should be 5% every other page, and probably limited on how many at a time can be made.

Also a Navy Cap(Amount of ships max) should be thought of. Grifs Smaller Navy will definitely come into play here.

Smaller navy? I intend to build a large navy, but admittedly this will mean I can't have a large army.

And a thought here. Do we intend to allow super-capital ships? If not, no problem. If so, there should be a limit proportional to the size, wealth and trait of an empire.

These are traits meant to give bonuses, I can't give Imperialist more bonuses than the other traits. Unless the bonuses are really really tiny across the board.

Easy, give imperialist powers a penalty for diplomatic relations with other powers. Also give them penalties for subjugating minor powers and/or races. If an imperialist power chooses cultural imperialism, give them penalties in relation to their armed forces, but bonuses towards attempts at cultural subversion. Make it the opposite for militarized imperialists, bonuses towards the armed forces, but penalties towards getting other powers to trust or like you. Give both types of imperialism a minor boost in trade, say a middle-ground between corporate and the others. But as a matter of course, imperial powers tend to maintain large militaries, however though much of that strength goes toward defending colonial acquisitions. An imperial power would have an edge early on, but the larger they become, the more stretched they become.

Also I have an idea for Earth. Crane will need to add input of course, but how about me, Crane and anyone else who wants to be human share Earth? Me and Crane could start with Earth, as well as one or two jointly-colonized worlds in the Sol System. Seeing as we're the more military-oriented players, this will give me and Crane a challenge, as we have to deal with each other, while the others get an easier time of expanding.

I'm back people...

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
Smaller navy? I intend to build a large navy, but admittedly this will mean I can't have a large army.

And a thought here. Do we intend to allow super-capital ships? If not, no problem. If so, there should be a limit proportional to the size, wealth and trait of an empire.

Easy, give imperialist powers a penalty for diplomatic relations with other powers. Also give them penalties for subjugating minor powers and/or races. If an imperialist power chooses cultural imperialism, give them penalties in relation to their armed forces, but bonuses towards attempts at cultural subversion. Make it the opposite for militarized imperialists, bonuses towards the armed forces, but penalties towards getting other powers to trust or like you. Give both types of imperialism a minor boost in trade, say a middle-ground between corporate and the others. But as a matter of course, imperial powers tend to maintain large militaries, however though much of that strength goes toward defending colonial acquisitions. An imperial power would have an edge early on, but the larger they become, the more stretched they become.

Also I have an idea for Earth. Crane will need to add input of course, but how about me, Crane and anyone else who wants to be human share Earth? Me and Crane could start with Earth, as well as one or two jointly-colonized worlds in the Sol System. Seeing as we're the more military-oriented players, this will give me and Crane a challenge, as we have to deal with each other, while the others get an easier time of expanding.
Small navy is relative. What I mean though is drastically smaller than Empires of the IV. Like 20 ships will be a good amount of ships. (For a System)

Quality and quantity will also go into play as well.

I think I can implement that for Imperialists, but make thoses selections dependent on what other traits are chosen.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Small navy is relative. What I mean though is drastically smaller than Empires of the IV. Like 20 ships will be a good amount of ships. (For a System)

Quality and quantity will also go into play as well.

I think I can implement that for Imperialists, but make thoses selections dependent on what other traits are chosen.

I see what you mean now. Yes, I fully endorse this.

Fair enough. If it helps, think of the traits like high school. Warmongers are the bullies who harass people for the hell of it, imperialists are the jocks, like bullies but there's a reason they're jackasses. Cultural imperialists however are the more shifty, manipulative bastards you met at high school, silver-tongue and all that. Scientists are the geeks, not taken really seriously, but they're smarter than the whole lot. Explorers are like those restless kids you knew, who were addicted to adrenaline rushes and spent a lot of time hiking and exploring. Peacekeepers are the rare, one-of-a-kind kid who actually had a sense of morality, relative to the other kids. He's the kid who befriended the weird, kinda lonely kids out of pity, and would sometimes actually square off against the jocks or warmongers. Sometimes he'd lose, and sometimes he did thing's for his own agenda, but his reputation didn't suffer too badly. Theocrats are the really religious kids, the one's you didn't quite know what to make of, and depending sometimes thought of as annoying. Corporate are the tycoons, the kids whose dad is a CEO or something, and grew addicted to the wealth their family had. He's a slimey bugger who treats girlfriends like trophy's, and thinks he can buy his way out of everything.
I'm back people...

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
I see what you mean now. Yes, I fully endorse this.

Fair enough. If it helps, think of the traits like high school. Warmongers are the bullies who harass people for the hell of it, imperialists are the jocks, like bullies but there's a reason they're jackasses. Cultural imperialists however are the more shifty, manipulative bastards you met at high school, silver-tongue and all that. Scientists are the geeks, not taken really seriously, but they're smarter than the whole lot. Explorers are like those restless kids you knew, who were addicted to adrenaline rushes and spent a lot of time hiking and exploring. Peacekeepers are the rare, one-of-a-kind kid who actually had a sense of morality, relative to the other kids. He's the kid who befriended the weird, kinda lonely kids out of pity, and would sometimes actually square off against the jocks or warmongers. Sometimes he'd lose, and sometimes he did thing's for his own agenda, but his reputation didn't suffer too badly. Theocrats are the really religious kids, the one's you didn't quite know what to make of, and depending sometimes thought of as annoying. Corporate are the tycoons, the kids whose dad is a CEO or something, and grew addicted to the wealth their family had. He's a slimey bugger who treats girlfriends like trophy's, and thinks he can buy his way out of everything.
I tend to make even more traits. I think each Empire will be allowed three Traits, and depending on what they are will affect how the traits act.

One Race trait will be allowed as well, this will be amde by the person who makes the race. This trait can have any sort of bonus that is reasonable, however it must also have a Negative equivalent to its bonus.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 01:46:22 AM »
I might join this game under my energy-based lifeforms idea, to better understand your posting preferences and to finally be able to use said idea.

Don't worry, I've already thought up the advantages and the disadvantages of said race.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:46 AM »
I might join this game under my energy-based lifeforms idea, to better understand your posting preferences and to finally be able to use said idea.

Don't worry, I've already thought up the advantages and the disadvantages of said race.
Depending on bonuses interered, and the negative, certain Societal traits may be negated. In my Case with the Orks, I cannot take any traits, besides the race trait.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »
Also the rules need far more work before this game starts, so far its just discussion. I think once Crane gets back we will get rolling.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2013, 02:51:51 AM »
Spoiler for Empire sheet(May Need Work):
Code: [Select]
[i][u][b]Empire Name[/b][/u][/i]

[hr]
[u][b]Leader(s):[/b][/u]

[hr]
[b][u]Territory:[/u][/b]

[spoiler=Welcome to Planet **!]
[img][/img]
[/spoiler]
[hr]
[b][u]Race:[/u][/b]
[b][u]Race Trait:[/u][/b](Trait Name and Effects)
[u][b]Description of Race:[/b][/u]

[u][b]Civilization Traits:[/b][/u]
( List Three Traits, take into account how these Traits affect one another, if they do.)

[u][b]Population:[/b][/u]

[hr]
[u][b]Society:[/b][/u](Civ Traits should be taken into account, a Warmonger can't have a "perfect Society and so on)

[hr]
[u][b]Government:[/b][/u](If a Civ Trait Includes a Type Of Government, it must be represented here)
[u][b]Economy:[/b][/u](If a Civ Trait Includes a type of Economy, it must be represented here)

[hr]
[u][b]Military:[/b][/u]
[b][u]Defence:[/u][/b]

[hr]
[u][b]Technology:[/b][/u](Description to give a feel for your Empires technology and theme)
[u][b]Space Travel:[/b][/u] Within System only, Standard Propulsion

[hr]
[u][b]Back Story (Optional):[/b][/u]

[hr]
[b][u]Alliances:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Trading Agreement:[/u][/b]

[hr]
[u][b]Infantry Description:[/b][/u](Armed Forces)

[u][b]Mechanized Divisions Description:[/b][/u]

[u][b]Airforce Description:[/b][/u]

[u][b]Naval Description:[/b][/u] (Space Units)

If people want to get working on it early, though maybe should hold on regarding Traits and stuff, as that needs to be refined.

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
I'm thinking of playing a corporate scientist empire, one that possesses money and technology, based off the empire I designed by never used in the other game.
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
Hmmm...I wonder if we should add a little alternate history to the backstory. I'm thinking of having it that the British Empire never dissolved, and survived past the 20th and into the 21st century. That could fit into the Commonwealth's backstory and culture quite well, and explain why there's a very Imperial British-style space empire. 
I'm back people...

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
I'm thinking of playing a corporate scientist empire, one that possesses money and technology, based off the empire I designed by never used in the other game.
Sounds fine, we need more traits though. Though I think I will be able to figure out a few more.

Hmmm...I wonder if we should add a little alternate history to the backstory. I'm thinking of having it that the British Empire never dissolved, and survived past the 20th and into the 21st century. That could fit into the Commonwealth's backstory and culture quite well, and explain why there's a very Imperial British-style space empire. 
I am not so sure about that. I leave that for you and Crane to discuss. I for one don't care for it, but it doesn't affect me anyways.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Marmalade. Crumpets. Tea.

'nuff said. :P
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
Civilization Traits

Warmonger- This civilization is highly militarized and tends to be aggressive in actions, it benefits from being always combat ready, and tend to have larger military forces. In attacks they can strike first in an invasion(Defenses that would shoot at them upon arrival are ignored) first turn. However in actions with other races besides war, they suffer penalties, because of reputation, though may be more successful in using fear.

Imperialist- Receives Bonuses in naval construction or military construction(Choice must be made, and bonuses in establishing colonies on already populated worlds. Only receive minor Trade bonuses,  only within area of influence. They suffer in relations with non-imperialist civilizations, they can also suffer from societal unrest in colonies. Usually have smaller military. Are not compatible with Peace-Keepers.

Scientist- Receive bonuses in terms of research, however not in all areas. Scientist trait is directly affected by other trait choices. It may only be tied to one trait though. Example, Scientist Warmonger gives bonus to military based Research only, Imperialist gives bonuses to Naval based Research, etc. The Negative is the fact that it does not give research bonuses across the board.

Explorer- Receives bonuses related to travel, gets an initial boost to attaining FTL travel. For the dice rolls related to discovery in a system, they may elect for either a Re-roll or moving the roll one option up or down.  They also have some bonuses related to establishing colonies, on worlds without a population. Tend to suffer in production of Warships, while receiving bonuses in production of exploratory vessels.

Peace-Keepers - The good guys (Sorta), they are willing to go out and help in other conflicts, for the sake of peace. They get bonuses in interaction, and military or naval construction. They can suffer from a degrading reputation as they tend to get involved even when unwanted, however always get bonuses with a faction they help, usually in trade and economics. They are incompatible with Imperialists.

Theocratic- Stronger Moral and society based on a Religious doctrine. They have bonuses when attempting to convert another society to their religion, so get culture bonuses. Can be Militarized or Peaceful, if militarized it gets military research bonuses but suffers in its reputation, if Peaceful get bonuses in interactions and civilian research. Suffers in relations with Secular Civilizations.

Corporate- Bonuses economically, and trade. Depending on the type of corporation, they may choose an area of expertise, but only one, which the receive a bonus in. Suffers in reputation, especially with Communists. Bonuses with Capitalists.

Communist - Receives bonuses to construction across all types, especially War Production. Trade suffers, as does Economy, unless with another Communist Society. Reputation is lower with all races that have capitalist functions.

Capitalist - Bonuses in Trade, gets research bonuses regarding War, suffers in production unrelated to war.  Capitalists tend to have better relations with others of the same economic type. Suffer in relations with Communists. Tend to suffer Economically as they turn into a services economy, very hard to maintain a production economy.

Updated Trait List, I could use some more recomendations.

Also the bonuses will be set percentages, that will be added or subtracted from the normal per page Research on everything related to the bonus. Large Bonuses will be 5%, while smaller ones will be 2.5%

Standard Research will be 10% every other Page, only the First page may be used to list what one will be researching in, it will start at zero. Next page after applying bonuses and negatives, the percentage for each research and construction will be listed. It will use the same style of research from Empires, except with limits on how much can be researched or built at one time.