Author Topic: Battlefield 3 Exclusive Pre-Order Content  (Read 12804 times)

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
Re: Battlefield 3 Exclusive Pre-Order Content
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:07 PM »
Pre-orders serve two functions.  First, they are a decent gauge of how interested the public is in the game.  Second, they reward people who pick up the game at launch.

Pre-orders have been going on for YEARS.  Pre-order bonuses, by definition, is usually stuff that you can only get by pre-ordering the game.  Why did we chose Battlefield 3 as the "criminals" here when a excrementload of other games do the same thing?  I didn't see ANYONE bitching about Dragon Age 2 pre-orders having $20 of bonus content and a free limited edition.
Because Dragon Age 2 is a single player game, not a multiplayer game were the smallest advantage can tip the scale of balance.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Because Dragon Age 2 is a single player game, not a multiplayer game were the smallest advantage can tip the scale of balance.
Crysis 2's pre-order bonus allowed you to start at Level 5 in multiplayer.  I didn't hear anyone complaining about that.

Quite frankly, a multiplayer game can be unbalanced simply because the other team has unlocked more weapons than you thanks to experience.  The counter to that is to find weapons and tactics that work against them.  The same idea applies here.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Then get it off Amazon or something.  The bonus is not a Gamestop-exclusive :P
Nah. Bad experience with international shipping. Unless I can use USPS, but even then, the price will be prohibitive. I'll just skip the bonuses and order on steam if I end up buying.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
For me, there's a simple solution.  In a case like that, I pre-order the game anyway (just in case) and if I end up still not caring when the game is released, then I cancel my pre-order and put the money on something else.  It appears that the map pack that comes with the pre-order is going to be released to the general public at one point as-is; it just might cost a few dollars. 

And this is fine.  And if the weapons would be also I would be (more) okay with it.

But right now I have no reason to buy it.  I don't know anyone who's going to buy it and I don't have any reason to think I'll have someone to play with.  After it launches I may find out that half my friends are all playing it and love it and want to join in.  Annnd I have no way to get these items.  So I should pre-order it on the chance that I might have some reason to play later?  Fat chance.

Pre-orders serve two functions.  First, they are a decent gauge of how interested the public is in the game.  Second, they reward people who pick up the game at launch.

Pre-orders have been going on for YEARS.  Pre-order bonuses, by definition, is usually stuff that you can only get by pre-ordering the game.  Why did we chose Battlefield 3 as the "criminals" here when a excrementload of other games do the same thing?  I didn't see ANYONE bitching about Dragon Age 2 pre-orders having $20 of bonus content and a free limited edition.

By your pricing I assume you could buy the stuff later.  That's one reason I don't complain.  Second it's single player, so I'm not actually hurt by your having it.  I have -no- issue with DLC itself.  I have no issue with packaging DLC with pre-orders as a incentive to pre-order.  I have a problem with pre-orders getting things that are not available to non-pre-orders and affect gameplay.  Reskin?  whatever.  Extra goodies in the box?  Great.  Early unlock of things you normally have to work for?  Fine.

And I am complaining about the ME2 pre-order bonuses.  I don't have DA2 or any plans to get it and it's launch is already past so it's not news for me to weigh in on. :P
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
Crysis 2's pre-order bonus allowed you to start at Level 5 in multiplayer.  I didn't hear anyone complaining about that.

Quite frankly, a multiplayer game can be unbalanced simply because the other team has unlocked more weapons than you thanks to experience.  The counter to that is to find weapons and tactics that work against them.  The same idea applies here.

This is an example of a bonus for pre-order that is unlockable through play.  I have no issue with it.  BF3 is a pre-order bonus that is completely unavailable to others.  That is my issue.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline El Destructo

• Mobile Disaster Area
    • eldestructo
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »
This is an example of a bonus for pre-order that is unlockable through play.  I have no issue with it.  BF3 is a pre-order bonus that is completely unavailable to others.  That is my issue.

Yeah... I don't know anything about Crysis 2 but I'd bet I could hit level 5 in half a day of play. It's not like you're completely restricted from using it. And in the end, EVERYONE who plays the game particularly much is just going to be level capped regardless.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:14 PM »
Total Biscuit in his mailbox for yesterday addressed this issue perfectly.  He has more issues here than I but sums my feelings up perfectly towards the end "If they won't drop them then I'm sorry but I'm not playing your game.  My personal enjoyment is not as important as the state of the industry and if we continue to accept consumer unfriendly practices then we will get reamed.  We will get nickel and dimed at every possible opportunity.  Why?  Because we let it happen."  Full mailbox video embedded below:

http://youtu.be/db7-m0YuNU8
Forum Rules - Web IRC