Author Topic: Cris Roberts making a new game!!!  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • RakiaTime/feed?filter=2
    • View Profile
Cris Roberts making a new game!!!
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »
Chris Roberts - the king of the space sims and the man behind Wing Commander and Freelancer is back with another game - and a PC exclusive at that, here's a first view at Squadron 42

Squadron 42 - Star Citizen Trailer

more details at http://robertsspaceindustries.com/

EDIT: eh, this should probably have been in the news section
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:36:00 PM by Rakia_Time »
I realize that you are always prepared for a sudden random phallus, but for your own safety, shut your mouth!

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
Re: Cris Roberts making a new game!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
I'm impressed, never heard of this man but I might buy this.
Boo!

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »
I hope it's not another one of those MMO games and instead a classic space sim. It's a sorely under-represented genre these days.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
An actual Space Sim? I hope so. Because all these other games like Eve and such are crap. I haven't seen a decent space sim for..... what like 10 or something years ago?

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
I hope it's not another one of those MMO games and instead a classic space sim. It's a sorely under-represented genre these days.
apparently the type of game it is will depend on the amount of the donations the project gets, less money - multiplayer only, more money - larger single player story
I realize that you are always prepared for a sudden random phallus, but for your own safety, shut your mouth!

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
apparently the type of game it is will depend on the amount of the donations the project gets, less money - multiplayer only, more money - larger single player story
PvP only would suck...
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Wow, that's actual in-game graphics? I'm truly impressed, but I hope it's not just a fighter space-sim. I also want to use that freaking awesome space carrier.
I'm back people...

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »
Oh gently-carress, one of the stretch goals is indeed a MMO experience...ugh. Been there, done that. It sucked.
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
Oh gently-carress, one of the stretch goals is indeed a MMO experience...ugh. Been there, done that. It sucked.

Well I think we have to face facts...the era of single-player space sims is dead and gone. Unless Rin actually successfully starts a game company.
I'm back people...

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Well I think we have to face facts...the era of single-player space sims is dead and gone. Unless Rin actually successfully starts a game company.
Well, Notch seems to be working on a space sim and I think it's single player, I only forgot the name.
Boo!

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
It's said that you can play the campaign completely solo, but that is only if the campaign makes it to the final product.

The MMO component will NOT be completely safe for noobs in the safe areas. Police forces will TRY to prevent violence, but it will not be guaranteed. I've played a space sim that had a clan just like Goonswarm from the EVE game. It SUCKED. The jackasses would pretty much do whaveter they wanted and go scot free. Camping right outside hub space stations and waiting for noobs to take off so they could be shot down was one of their favorite things. Damn, they were annoying.
Toaster

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
It's said that you can play the campaign completely solo, but that is only if the campaign makes it to the final product.

The MMO component will NOT be completely safe for noobs in the safe areas. Police forces will TRY to prevent violence, but it will not be guaranteed. I've played a space sim that had a clan just like Goonswarm from the EVE game. It SUCKED. The jackasses would pretty much do whaveter they wanted and go scot free. Camping right outside hub space stations and waiting for noobs to take off so they could be shot down was one of their favorite things. Damn, they were annoying.

Hmmm...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I hate those kind of jackasses. One would think there would be better restriction/protection, in the "green zones", so to speak.
I'm back people...

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 01:15:59 AM »
I keep throwing money at my computer and nothing is happening.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »
Not sure why you're comparing it to EVE, though, when it's very much a flight sim even in the 'MMO' styling. If anything the only comparison would be the (long) defunct Jumpgate MMO which was actually a damn fun game. And no, you did not get constantly ganked in the 'safe' areas in Jumpgate.

Also you have them backwards. The lowest level of funding is the single player campaign. So no matter what THAT is going to happen.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
Not sure why you're comparing it to EVE, though, when it's very much a flight sim even in the 'MMO' styling. If anything the only comparison would be the (long) defunct Jumpgate MMO which was actually a damn fun game. And no, you did not get constantly ganked in the 'safe' areas in Jumpgate.

Also you have them backwards. The lowest level of funding is the single player campaign. So no matter what THAT is going to happen.
Jumpgate was indeed the one I participated on, but in the beta. There was one squad that specialized on "divebombing" the huge merchant ships that can barely maneuver. "Dive" as in using the disposable afterburners and then release the whole payload of those disposable fire-and-forget purple multi-missiles. Boom! The same squad did what I mentioned, camp outside one of the "noob" hubs, blowing them up.

Mind you, it indeed was not a "constant" barrage. But it was aggravating nonetheless. And even when you didn't want anything with them, merely being on the same system and flight path was enough for them to be total jerks to you. This last bit was my personal experience.
Toaster

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Odd, I never had that problem. I've remember the MIRV style quad missiles were capable of one shotting me in one of the heavy fighters with a full point blank volley but if they were doing it to one of the big heavy merch transports would have had to of been a few working together. And if they did it very often then AI station fighters should have started attacking them as soon as they entered the system.

Really if you want to prevent that sort of griefing you just need to design a system that enforces it realistically. Killing random unarmed transports or the like in 'safe' systems should be just as if you walked up and shot someone on the steps of the local courthouse. One strike and you're out. The area is hostile to you forever unless you somehow expunge your record.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:20:43 AM by Tairis Deamhan »
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 03:36:12 AM »
Odd, I never had that problem. I've remember the MIRV style quad missiles were capable of one shotting me in one of the heavy fighters with a full point blank volley but if they were doing it to one of the big heavy merch transports would have had to of been a few working together. And if they did it very often then AI station fighters should have started attacking them as soon as they entered the system.

Really if you want to prevent that sort of griefing you just need to design a system that enforces it realistically. Killing random unarmed transports or the like in 'safe' systems should be just as if you walked up and shot someone on the steps of the local courthouse. One strike and you're out. The area is hostile to you forever unless you somehow expunge your record.
Let me rephrase: The camping outside stations took place in hubs, but the divebombing of merchant ships usually happened enroute between the factions, usually in border systems. Heaven forbid if you had the "bright" idea of trying to do a mecrchant run to Amaranth or Hyperial. Anyone could off you. The only real mesure they tried to do against griefing in the beta was making a system where one could opt into PvP or not. Once in, you were in for good.

Goonswarm did find a way to off ships in the "safe" hub systems (in EVE): kamikaze attacks. No real way to punish it since they died in it. But they had so much resources stashed away that it was child's play to bear the cost of dying repeatedly. Any game that allows this will be open to exploitation through kamikaze runs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:40:22 AM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
Yea, EVE is pretty much a griefer's paradise but then the devs for that game have always stated that they were pure 'hands off'.

In Jumpgate I swear I remember that there was always a 'safe' route between the three factions, it just was a longer one than going the direct way. When you went the short way you also always risked attack by the Flux.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »
Yea, EVE is pretty much a griefer's paradise but then the devs for that game have always stated that they were pure 'hands off'.

In Jumpgate I swear I remember that there was always a 'safe' route between the three factions, it just was a longer one than going the direct way. When you went the short way you also always risked attack by the Flux.
Ze map:
http://jumpgate.ddz.net/map/

From Solrain to Quantar there's no direct safe route. There's at least one unclaimed or one Hyperial system in between. If you wish to go from one to the other only through main faction territory, then it is indeed a long trek.

People were getting shot up in the frontier factions systems, in all of Hyperial and all of Amaranth in the beta. Don't know how well that went in the real paid game.

This is all grossly out of topic. Though I dunno what we can discuss about Star Citizen, as I still think there's very little to go on. All I've seen until now is are sales pitches and a tech demo. A very sweet looking tech demo, but it is not indicative of the whole thing by a long shot.
Toaster

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
I miss jumpgate though...

And according to the website the demo was all rendered in-engine. The Crytek 3 engine seems to be 100% ridiculous in what it can do.

They opened up a Kickstarter page to that already doing a brisk business. If they get their full funding I'll definitely be all over this tho. A good flight sim style game that will let me control larger ships in a persistent universe sounds just fine to me.

Now I just need to finish Requiem in time to play it :P

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
I miss jumpgate though...

And according to the website the demo was all rendered in-engine. The Crytek 3 engine seems to be 100% ridiculous in what it can do.

They opened up a Kickstarter page to that already doing a brisk business. If they get their full funding I'll definitely be all over this tho. A good flight sim style game that will let me control larger ships in a persistent universe sounds just fine to me.

Now I just need to finish Requiem in time to play it :P
large ships are boring  :whistle:

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
Toaster

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
large ships are boring  :whistle:

Awesome. You meant 'awesome'.

Offline Rakia_Time

• Loot the bodies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
Awesome. You meant 'awesome'.
i prefer my boats with some extra speed :P

Offline TK Dude

• LT_ShadowSix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »
''All roads to hell are paved with good intentions'' - Deus