Author Topic: Good Old Games is Also Having a Sale!  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Captain Jean-Luc

• Global Moderator
    • jeanluc761
    • View Profile
Good Old Games is Also Having a Sale!
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
[float=left][attach=1][/float]This sale actually began on June 26th, but better late than never!  Good Old Games is currently running one of their summer promotions that has resulted in substantial discounts on a number of great titles.  Currently on sale are:

BattleChest Special Edition   
Castles & Castles 2             
Conquest of the New World 
Descent 1 & 2                     
Descent 3 & Expansion       
Die By the Sword               
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2           
Earthworm Jim 3D             
Evolva                               
F/A-18E Super Hornet       
Fallout                             
Fallout 2             

To see the rest of the sale titles, as well as my recommendations, please click Read More[cutoff]               

SALES (Continued):
Fallout Tactics                   
Freespace & Expansion       
Freespace 2                     
Giants: Citizen Kabuto       
Invictus                           
Jagged Alliance 2               
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
M.A.X. 1 & 2
MDK
MDK 2
Messiah
Redneck Rampage Collection
Sacrifice
Screamer
Shattered Steel
Shogo: Mobile Armored Division
StoneKeep
VR Soccer '96

All of these are on sale for $2.99

Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
One of the best side-scrolling platformers ever made, Earthworm Jim is filled with quirky humor, beautiful artwork and great level design.  It's a shooter, first and foremost, but it combines those mechanics with a lot of very fun (and challenging) platforming elements.  It's an older game but it's an absolute classic, and for $2.99 it's a steal. 

Fallout 1 & 2
This is where Fallout started, folks.  While certainly not as flashy as its modern incarnations (the visual pallete is basically brown, brown and more brown), the actual structure of the game will feel familiar.  You can still travel the landscape, finding other inhabitants and completing quests for them in order to gain Karma and Experience Points.  Combat is turn-based, unlike the modern games, but you can still fight in a variety of ways, ranging from melee to ranged combat. 

Giants: Citizen Kabuto
This 3rd person shooter is a wonderfully hilarious romp through a piece of paradise known as "The Island."  Your character is of a race called the "Meccs," and you crash-land onto this planet.  Little do you know, the local inhabitants are fighting against one another, and you're going to get caught right up into it.  Really, this game is worth it for the comedy alone.

MDK 1 & 2
MDK is also a third person shooter, developed by Shiny Entertainment.  The premise is your typical "Save the Earth from invading aliens," but you get to do so with a parachute and a helmet-mounted sniper rifle.  It's great fun and filled with Shiny's typical humor.  MDK 2 is the sequel, obviously, and this one was actually developed by Bioware.  Yes, THAT Bioware.  The sequel introduces two new playable characters and Bioware's trademark writing.

Sacrifice
This is, bar none, one of the best RTS games I have ever played, and also one of the most unique.  The gameplay takes place from a 3rd-person perspective, where you play as your team's wizard (or commander, in RTS terms).  The objective in each match is to wipe out the enemy's base, which you do by sacrificing one of your units at the enemy's altar.  In order to accomplish this, wizards must gather two resources: souls and mana.  Souls are required to summon creatures that fight at your side, while mana is used to both summon creatures and cast spells.  There are 10 levels of spells and 9 levels of creatures, and you can easily gain all 9 levels in a single match.  This results in intense and chaotic battles as more powerful creatures and spells do battle.  Some spells are so powerful that they can quite literally change the environment.  There are five different "Gods" to which your wizard can be faithful to, each with their own spells and creatures.  All of these wildly different "Gods" are insanely well balanced, so no player is at a disadvantage just because they chose the wrong army.  There's both singleplayer and multiplayer available here, and the singleplayer has a remarkably good story and the ability to import your SP wizard into multiplayer.

If there's one game I recommend, it's Sacrifice if for no other reason than for a bunch of us to play it :P

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:14:43 PM by Captain Jean-Luc »

Offline TK Dude

• LT_ShadowSix
    • View Profile
Re: Good Old Games is Also Having a Sale!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
I think I'll buy Fallout 2. And I might give Sacrifice a chance.
''All roads to hell are paved with good intentions'' - Deus

Offline Mazder_Verhal

• I have a bad feeling about this...
    • http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031547390
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Was interested in the old fallout 1 and 2 until it said turn based combat. :D
Come look at my art.
Deviantart: http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://mazderverhal.tumblr.com/
Leave ideas or critiques or anything with me there or anywhere you can reach me. :)

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »
Ah yes, GOG's summer staycation. Those are all Interplay titles.

I recommend both Fallouts.

And the Freespace games for those that like space sims.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Deadeas

• gently-carress you.
    • Deadeas
    • Deadeas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
Was interested in the old fallout 1 and 2 until it said turn based combat. :D
Whatever you say.
Ah yes, GOG's summer staycation. Those are all Interplay titles.
I recommend both Fallouts.
And the Freespace games for those that like space sims.
I nabbed Fallout and Fallout 2, Freespace 2, and Lionheart toward the beginning of the sale. All good games.