Author Topic: OOC - Empires: The Orakan Wars  (Read 14702 times)

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
OOC - Empires: The Orakan Wars
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
So this is a little something that Ragez and I decided to try out: a game in the Empries of the IV universe depicting the conflict between the Orakan Kekoti and the Independent Systems. I wasn't really satisfied with how that conflict had only gotten a little scratching on the surface in the original game. So I proposed this to Ragez and he approved. So here we are.

Although it was just an idea between Ragez and me, anyone is welcome to take part in this as one (or several) of the many factions involved in the conflict.

Speaking of of factions, here is a list of the involved nations. These are just the factions already established in the game universe. You wanna make a few more IS nations, go ahead.

Independent Systems
Cromwell Republic (Human)
State of Hera (Human)
Republic of Sihnon (Human)
Boston (Human)
Syra (Ventus)
Andalus (Ventus)
Narahe Federation (Croiz)
Republic of Teck (Croiz)
Xerathi Union (Croiz) (Tobbs)
Erladarlan (Kerackian)
New Efferon (Fe'Juk)

Orakan Dominion

Serkonan Protectorate

So, who else is interested in this? It can fully work with just Ragez and me, but the more the merrier :sorcerer:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:42:43 PM by Tobbs »

Keep calm and move along.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
Re: OOC - Empires: The Orakan Wars
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:42:42 PM »
Not going to lie, this sounds interesting. I've been tossing thoughts back and fourth in my head about trying some conflicts within the Universe out as standalone games.

I'd be willing to try it out.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:48:07 PM »
Interesting Concept. But I'll pass, as I was never really interested in any factions beyond those of my design.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »
Interesting Concept. But I'll pass, as I was never really interested in any factions beyond those of my design.
You sure? As I said, you are welcome to make your own nation. If you don't wanna take part that's fine, but with you being a Warhammer fan and all, I thought you might be interested in what would have been a strong candidate for the most brutal war in known galactic history.

It wouldn't make sense lore-wise for there to be NC-descended IS states, though, so there's that.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:58:05 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »
Seeing as I created the Independent Systems, I should have some input into how many factions make up the IS...:dry:

Otherwise I'll gladly play as the Serkonans.
I'm back people...

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
You sure? As I said, you are welcome to make your own nation. If you don't wanna take part that's fine, but with you being a Warhammer fan and all, I thought you might be interested in what would have been a strong candidate for the most brutal war in known galactic history.

It wouldn't make sense lore-wise for there to be NC-descended IS states, though, so there's that.
Exactly. NC never had a presence beyond the Black market and some trade agreements with Commonwealth originating IS colonies.

Also the fact I am entirely done forever with Empire/civ RPs. Too many of them and they all died or lived too long.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:12 AM »
Otherwise I'll gladly play as the Serkonans.
Alright. Just know that this game is going to be focused on the IS and their struggles against external threats, and they're kinda going to be the "good guys". And since the Serkonans are much more powerful than each individual IS state, and lore-wise had quite an expansionist attitude towards the IS, they are considered a 'threat-faction' just like the Orakans. This means that you cannot both hold sole rights to controlling the Serkonans and at the same time control an IS faction. Control over the Orakans is by default going to be mine since I know them the best, but since I'm planning on controlling the Crescanian-descended IS nations as well, everyone will be able to ask for control over them for a specific scenario, and then I can grant it to them. This means that I won't control both the attacking an defending side at any time throughout the game.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:08 AM »
Alright. Just know that this game is going to be focused on the IS and their struggles against external threats, and they're kinda going to be the "good guys". And since the Serkonans are much more powerful than each individual IS state, and lore-wise had quite an expansionist attitude towards the IS, they are considered a 'threat-faction' just like the Orakans. This means that you cannot both hold sole rights to controlling the Serkonans and at the same time control an IS faction. Control over the Orakans is by default going to be mine since I know them the best, but since I'm planning on controlling the Crescanian-descended IS nations as well, everyone will be able to ask for control over them for a specific scenario, and then I can grant it to them. This means that I won't control both the attacking an defending side at any time throughout the game.

Yes, I am well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the factions I created. :P

Okay, I can agree to this. Just remember that even as a united front the IS is a second-rate power, so anyone playing an Independent faction is going to have to be creative. I also ask that as the creator of the IS I get final say on any changes made to them, otherwise feel free to consult/ask me anything about them and play them however.

Now as I remember the Orakan invasion happened first, then we kind of abandoned it, then the Serkonans invaded Whitefall and later the rest of the IS later. So are we starting before the Orakan invasion or after? Or are starting before the occupation of Whitefall or after?
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
Yes, I am well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the factions I created. :P

Okay, I can agree to this. Just remember that even as a united front the IS is a second-rate power, so anyone playing an Independent faction is going to have to be creative. I also ask that as the creator of the IS I get final say on any changes made to them, otherwise feel free to consult/ask me anything about them and play them however.

Now as I remember the Orakan invasion happened first, then we kind of abandoned it, then the Serkonans invaded Whitefall and later the rest of the IS later. So are we starting before the Orakan invasion or after? Or are starting before the occupation of Whitefall or after?
I didn't really expect you to care about what happened to the IS, but whatever, you can have a say in it I guess.

Also, I had actually forgotten Serkonos had invaded Whitefall. This game takes place after the battle of Syra, which means it's before the invasion of Whitefall. Though no one has any idea where the Kekoti come from at first, so that part of the wars will mainly be the IS defending against Kekoti raids in the beginning. Serkonos would be a more permanent threat at first, so they'll definitely have their place.

Now, if Ragez will just crawl out of his cave...

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 02:19:23 AM »
Syca and Syra are the same place, Syca is just a misspelling of Syra  :/
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:42:19 AM »
By the way, are we going to use economic/combat rules, or are we returning to the argumentative anarchy of before?
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 05:02:47 AM »
I think I'll play as New Efferon. I never did take the initiative to play as Fe'Juk in the main game. It'll give me a chance (read as: force me) to flesh them out.

By the way, are we going to use economic/combat rules, or are we returning to the argumentative anarchy of before?
How about a mix of both :P
Roll to decide battles and do traditional Eot-IV based interaction for everything else.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:04:22 AM by killer rin »

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
Interesting, you said we can create new factions, though, correct? I got a new human faction I need to roll out.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Interesting, you said we can create new factions, though, correct? I got a new human faction I need to roll out.
Grif snagged the right to decide that. And if you would make a new faction, it can only be another IS nation.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:35:05 AM »
Grif snagged the right to decide that. And if you would make a new faction, it can only be another IS nation.

At this point any new IS faction is going to be a backwater frontier, not a major IS player. The Independent Systems only has a population of around 30-40 million.

How about a mix of both :P
Roll to decide battles and do traditional Eot-IV based interaction for everything else.

Then may I make a suggestion? Have a set number of ships/ground units with a reserve pool of manpower, however remove the ability to recruit new units, what you have is what you get.
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
At this point any new IS faction is going to be a backwater frontier, not a major IS player. The Independent Systems only has a population of around 30-40 million.

Then may I make a suggestion? Have a set number of ships/ground units with a reserve pool of manpower, however remove the ability to recruit new units, what you have is what you get.
That sounds good. Everyone gets a set number of ships and ground units then we remove the ability to get more under normal circumstances. Every now and then we'll bump everyones numbers a small amount like 5-10% to account for recruitment.

If a player loses a battle, depending on if they attempted a retreat or not, and if it was successful, The winning party gets to decide the percentages of how many soldiers left behind get killed/taken POW. You know, really high level stuff. Then if we really wanted, we could do a roll to indoctrinate and integrate a small percentage of POWs into our own forces.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:33:43 PM by killer rin »

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »
Welp, so much for the carefree excrements-and-giggles playstyle that I enjoyed with Ragez :I

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »
Welp, so much for the carefree excrements-and-giggles playstyle that I enjoyed with Ragez :I
-((to be fair, Id prefer the excrements and giggles playstyle too. Its just if we need to add systems on top of it, it would be best to have them be as minimal as possible. Which is really what I was trying to get at.))-

Anyhow though, You and Ragez would be the GM of this game, so its all up to you guys to decide.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:20:27 PM by killer rin »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »

Come on Tobbs, do you really want to return to the rules-free play-style of before? We had pages of drawn-out spiteful arguments and everyone always tried to get away with losing very little and getting as much as they could.
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Come on Tobbs, do you really want to return to the rules-free play-style of before? We had pages of drawn-out spiteful arguments and everyone always tried to get away with losing very little and getting as much as they could.
Yeah, you guys did. Ragez and I did mostly fine, though. Only problem was when there was a misunderstanding that had to be cleared up. Had it only been him and me in this, that's what I had planned for . 3.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
Yeah, you guys did. Ragez and I did mostly fine, though. Only problem was when there was a misunderstanding that had to be cleared up. Had it only been him and me in this, that's what I had planned for . 3.

Are you kidding me? The most heated arguments were between Ragez and Necross and you were right there in it too, a good chunk of the time arguing against Ragez.

So if you only planned for this game to be between you and Ragez...why invite others to join? You had to realize some players would want rules...
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
Are you kidding me? The most heated arguments were between Ragez and Necross and you were right there in it too, a good chunk of the time arguing against Ragez.

So if you only planned for this game to be between you and Ragez...why invite others to join? You had to realize some players would want rules...
Ragez and I never argued about what happened between us, though. The only time I argued against in was - as you said- when he was arguing against someone else. My point was that in-game interaction between me and him worked pretty good. But yeah, I knew you would want rules, and I don't have any problems with that. Of course we will have to do it like this when so many were interested. Me saying "there goes the playstyle I enjoyed", I was simply commenting on how things would be different than I thought it would be. I am technically GM of this game, so if I would have been bent on keeping the old ways, I could have just kicked you all out.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »
Ragez and I never argued about what happened between us, though. The only time I argued against in was - as you said- when he was arguing against someone else. My point was that in-game interaction between me and him worked pretty good. But yeah, I knew you would want rules, and I don't have any problems with that. Of course we will have to do it like this when so many were interested. Me saying "there goes the playstyle I enjoyed", I was simply commenting on how things would be different than I thought it would be. I am technically GM of this game, so if I would have been bent on keeping the old ways, I could have just kicked you all out.

Fair enough, don't worry I'm low maintenance rules-wise. ;)

At any rate, if you want we can adapt some of the Frontier rules...
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »
Fair enough, don't worry I'm low maintenance rules-wise. ;)

At any rate, if you want we can adapt some of the Frontier rules...
Use whatever allows us to crunch in numbers quickly. I dislike crunching numbers, and would like the process to be as quick as possible. Do it, peasant!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:07 PM »
Also, Ragez said he would be excited to get to writing again, but now he seems to have vanished into the dark like a cave spider or something after making that one post. He's gone full Taliban.