Author Topic: Post your rig here!  (Read 37315 times)

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
Re: Post your rig here!
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2012, 03:57:08 AM »
new build!

New stuff
Asus Sabertooth P67
Intel Core i7 2600k
16gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
120 GB OCZ SSD (OS)
Level 10 Case
ATI 6970
Corsair H60 HSF (Well water aio device)

I am reusing
PSU (Corsair 1000w)
HDD (WD 640, 2TB,80GB, Seagate 1TB)
Optical Drive (dvd burner)

Time for some pics!

New parts

Assembled

Old guts

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:14:53 AM by amwdrizz »

Offline vGEMATRIAv

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 MB
AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.78 ghz
G-Skill Ripjaw 4x4GB @ 1333 mhz
WD Caviar Black 6.0 gb/s 7200 rpm 500GB hard drive
XFX HD 6950
Sapphire HD 6950
Rosewill 850 watt
Windows 7 Home
Samsung Blu Ray player

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »
3.78ghz on the stock cooler!?!?!?
<@Kikaimegami> my human-shakes bring all the Reapers to the yard

Offline vGEMATRIAv

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
Yes sir. I believe Papercut freaked out about that when I posted my other PC (which is now Rage's). Neither of us have had any problems and the temps rarely go over 55 C.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:39 AM »

And this is why I don't buy aftermarket heat sinks anymore.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »
There's no way it would be able to do that unless you were doing that at stock voltage.  And keep in mind, the Phenom II BE heatsinks are much better for the 130w CPUs than they are for the 95w CPUs.  And my 960T was SUPPOSED to be a 95w CPU, but I unlocked the other 2 cores and TDP shot up to around 160w when OC'd.

Also, DrT, you don't overclock.  You have no need for an aftermarket heatsink.  Maybe with Netburst you may have needed one, but then again stock Intel coolers were pretty extreme back then.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2012, 10:51:51 PM »
There's no way it would be able to do that unless you were doing that at stock voltage.  And keep in mind, the Phenom II BE heatsinks are much better for the 130w CPUs than they are for the 95w CPUs.  And my 960T was SUPPOSED to be a 95w CPU, but I unlocked the other 2 cores and TDP shot up to around 160w when OC'd.

Also, DrT, you don't overclock.  You have no need for an aftermarket heatsink.  Maybe with Netburst you may have needed one, but then again stock Intel coolers were pretty extreme back then.

True I don't.  But my point was more when you can OC enough to make people go "wat" with a stock cooler you really -really- don't need one for stock.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
I don't think that the temps on that cooler are very good...  On an AMD CPU you need to stay below 55c or else you're going to fry your chip.  And 1.55v is about the maximum safe for 24/7 usage.

My x6 is supposedly allowed to hit 62c, but I don't really trust that.

GPU heatsinks on the other hand are awesome.  I upgraded my GTS 450's heatsink from the OEM one (Arctic Cooling Accelero L1 -- Pretty good for an OEM cooler) to an AC Accelero L2 and load temps dropped by 18c.  Pretty good for a $26 cooler.

I'm thinking of getting a different cooler for the 470 as well since the stock one is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner and I hit 93c load sometimes.

Offline phonypapercut

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:45 PM »
Bah! My x4's limit is also supposedly 62C, but I've had no problems running it 65C for a few hours.
And if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in — Yes —
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be — Nothing — Thou shalt not be less.

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »
If it's a Thuban (The chopped-down Thubans that are sold as x4s like my 960T are called "Zosma") then it's supposedly 62.  If it's a Deneb it's 55.  Even though AMD says that 62 is OK for Denebs, most of them can't handle that. :P

If you have a 960T you might be able to unlock the other 2 cores if your motherboard supports it and can handle the higher TDP by the way.

Offline Minimum

• this.getPersonalText();
    • minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21:05 AM »
I don't think that the temps on that cooler are very good...  On an AMD CPU you need to stay below 55c or else you're going to fry your chip.  And 1.55v is about the maximum safe for 24/7 usage.

My x6 is supposedly allowed to hit 62c, but I don't really trust that.

GPU heatsinks on the other hand are awesome.  I upgraded my GTS 450's heatsink from the OEM one (Arctic Cooling Accelero L1 -- Pretty good for an OEM cooler) to an AC Accelero L2 and load temps dropped by 18c.  Pretty good for a $26 cooler.

I'm thinking of getting a different cooler for the 470 as well since the stock one is about as loud as a vacuum cleaner and I hit 93c load sometimes.

Arctic Cooling makes some really awesome heatsinks.  My 8800 GT on the stock cooler would hit 100C before I would shut off whatever game it was running.  I got an Accelero S1 and the temperatures have never gone past 65C since.  Running Source games usually tops it out at 55C.  With the stock cooler the card would IDLE at 60C.  It may take up 3-4 slots but at least my card isn't killing itself anymore.

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »
The S1 is a passive cooler! :o

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2012, 06:14:40 AM »
I zip tied a 120mm fan to it.  xD

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
Well that makes a lot more sense. :p

I'm thinking of getting a Twin Turbo II for my GTX 470 (My 560Ti is being stupid, causing driver crashes and hard lockups, so I am probably going to RMA it in a while when new cards come out).

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2012, 05:56:04 AM »
My 8800 GT suffers from driver crashes.  It seems to be the drivers' fault though.  Usually the drivers just die and come back after 5-10 seconds, usually resulting in me being zombified in ZE in the process.  This didn't start until way after I got my new heatsink, so heat damage isn't likely.  After updating the drivers back in November I started to get a second problem.  Sometimes after the drivers crash they go into this infinite loop of crashing and reviving.  After about 15 seconds of doing this it finally BSODs.  It has done this a total of 3 times since I updated the drivers now.

I love my 8800 but after these issues I will probably end up going ATI on my next build.

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
I'm not sure that you should switch to ATI simply because your super duper old GPU has started to get a bit flaky...  My 4890 started to go a bit downhill after 2 1/2 years of being clocked at 1050/1205...  Things just die when they get old.  If I were you, I would get whatever is the best price/performance wise (in your budget, anyway).  Since you're not a Folding@Home nut like I am, you probably don't feel the need to upgrade constantly. :P  The AMD 79XX series is very strong but if the "leaked" (AKA planted by nVidia) architecture slides are correct, the GK104 chip (the 560/560 Ti replacement) will beat the GTX580, and will probably cost around $300 at launch.  That would probably be the sweet spot, because it's supposedly going to be cheaper than the 7950, but it should beat it if the numbers I have seen hold up.

As for my 560 Ti, it's not the drivers...  I tried every driver I could lay my hands on.  I also tried reseating the cooler to make sure it wasn't the VRM or VRAM temperature.  When the GPU is at 100% load, it causes driver failures.  When it is at idle, it causes hard lockups that require a reset.  I put my 470 back in and magically everything works again. =/  I looked up my issue online, and it seems that other people have been having this issue too and that some 560 Ti GPUs just completely flake out after a very small amount of use.

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
I dunno, it doesn't really seem like the card's fault.  Randomly in CSS I get micro-stuttering issues.  Also the driver crashes are very erratic.  I can go weeks without a single crash but then have it crash every hour for a week straight.  I'm not sure if this is because of Source or nVidia.  I started getting these crashes and issues after the last Source update to CSS.  They also happen in other up to date Source games.  I've had micro-stuttering and driver crashes in Portal 2.

As for the nVidia 6 series I have completely blocked out the "leaked" slides by nVidia.  After their 9 series, 2xx series, and Fermi I have absolutely zero trust in nVidia.  They always talk big but end up short at the end of the day.  We will see what happens when the real benchmarks hit.

As far as feeling the need to upgrade goes, I am feeling it quite badly.  I can feel the age of my card in newer games.  What is really killing me though is my 4GB of RAM.  I can barely get away with running the server on my rig at my LANs now.  I have to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my rig just to keep it running smoothly.  Though even if I had the money I wouldn't be able to upgrade to anything.  Upgrading the RAM would mean getting a new mobo which would mean getting a new CPU.  Since there are no worthwhile hexa or octo cores on the market right now there is no point in getting a new CPU.  I don't really feel like dropping $300 on a new quad core since I already have a quad core.  I know they have much better IPC but the kinds of things I would use it for would do better with more cores than better IPC.

Offline Foxdonut

• Videogames suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
I dunno, it doesn't really seem like the card's fault.  Randomly in CSS I get micro-stuttering issues.  Also the driver crashes are very erratic.  I can go weeks without a single crash but then have it crash every hour for a week straight.  I'm not sure if this is because of Source or nVidia.  I started getting these crashes and issues after the last Source update to CSS.  They also happen in other up to date Source games.  I've had micro-stuttering and driver crashes in Portal 2.

As for the nVidia 6 series I have completely blocked out the "leaked" slides by nVidia.  After their 9 series, 2xx series, and Fermi I have absolutely zero trust in nVidia.  They always talk big but end up short at the end of the day.  We will see what happens when the real benchmarks hit.

As far as feeling the need to upgrade goes, I am feeling it quite badly.  I can feel the age of my card in newer games.  What is really killing me though is my 4GB of RAM.  I can barely get away with running the server on my rig at my LANs now.  I have to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my rig just to keep it running smoothly.  Though even if I had the money I wouldn't be able to upgrade to anything.  Upgrading the RAM would mean getting a new mobo which would mean getting a new CPU.  Since there are no worthwhile hexa or octo cores on the market right now there is no point in getting a new CPU.  I don't really feel like dropping $300 on a new quad core since I already have a quad core.  I know they have much better IPC but the kinds of things I would use it for would do better with more cores than better IPC.
Core i7? Just saying.

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
Core i7? Just saying.

The cheapest one is $650 (3930K.)  That's kind of out of my budget.   :P

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »
You don't really need more than 4GB RAM for anything BUT running servers...  The only reason I upgraded to 8GB was because I tend to open about 50 tabs at a time in my browser, and that was slowing my computer down.

Also, I would say going from a C2Q to a SandyBridge CPU would be a GIGANTIC improvement.  I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but the 2600k gets 128,300 MIPS (million instructions per second) at 3.4 GHz, whereas the C2Q QX6700 only gets 49,161 MIPS at 2.66 GHz... (Both these benchmarks are according to Dhrystone.)  I am "stuck" going the AMD route, but if I had had the chance I would have gotten a P67 mobo and SandyBridge CPU.

Offline Minimum

• minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
Yeah the only times I have noticed a huge bottleneck relating to the RAM is at my LANs and when I play Minecraft.  Otherwise it's pretty much smooth sailing.  That said I still want 32GB or 64GB of RAM just so that I can have a RAM Disk.

I know going from a Q6600 to a 2600K would be a big improvement but I want something with more cores.  With the way Source is going with multi-threaded servers and clients it would be nice if I could keep both processes to their own cores.  It would also be nice if I could keep background processes like MySQL and random Windows tasks to their own core.

Also I'm not too sure how Sandy Bridge compares to my setup but I've read that there is a significant lack of PCI-E lanes in SB.  It's good enough for a basic gaming rig but not good enough for a hardcore gaming/workstation setup much like what I want.  SB-E would be my only option and we all know how stupidly expensive that is.  :P

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
but if I had had the chance I would have gotten a P67 mobo and SandyBridge CPU.
Pretty much what I did, though I had to bleed the wallet a bit more.

Though I use 8gb though. And even so, sometimes it gets used up. I've had Firefox take more than 1.5 gigs of memory one time. I'll eventually go up to 16gb.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline sweffymo

• I'm cool-cat bad!
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
SB-E doesn't really have enough PCI bandwidth either if you're planning on filling up a P67's...  The thing is, it has enough lanes for everything short of tri-SLI and a sound card or video capture card.  Also, SB-E's RAM bandwidth is actually worse than SB's in many cases if you try to use quad-channel RAM.  Additionally, the sheer compute power increase is more important than more cores.  Not to mention the fact that the 2600k has hyperthreading, which vastly increases efficiency of threaded tasks as well.