Author Topic: OOC: Frontier: Cold Shock  (Read 77067 times)

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
Re: OOC: Frontier: Cold Shock
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2017, 06:21:22 AM »
Huh, that took an expected turn. Is Zeph...into Neal?
Zeph isn't into Neal, Zeph doesn't really do romance. He's in it ('it' being 'life) for the fame and excitement.

Zephirus, on the other hand, appreciates handsome and beautiful peeps and takes an active role in seduction and enticement for what he either wants, or wants to kill. Which is which often depends on how handsome you are.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2017, 07:15:02 AM »
Zeph isn't into Neal, Zeph doesn't really do romance. He's in it ('it' being 'life) for the fame and excitement.

Zephirus, on the other hand, appreciates handsome and beautiful peeps and takes an active role in seduction and enticement for what he either wants, or wants to kill. Which is which often depends on how handsome you are.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 01, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
Zeph just turns that science-mode on and off like a faucet.  :sorcerer:
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 01, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
Alright I have to step in again, one thing I need to say, two of you have knowledge in Xenobiology, however I think you both need to decide whether that is knowledge about alien zoology, or sapient biology. Some edits may be needed. It's mostly because I am finding your knowledge base to be too broad. Tbh the person best suited for dealing with alien fauna here is Ursea.

It's just somethin I think needs to be decided to prevent characters from being too knowledgeable. I give you each the option to chose one or the other.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 01, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
Alright I have to step in again, one thing I need to say, two of you have knowledge in Xenobiology, however I think you both need to decide whether that is knowledge about alien zoology, or sapient biology. Some edits may be needed. It's mostly because I am finding your knowledge base to be too broad. Tbh the person best suited for dealing with alien fauna here is Ursea.

It's just somethin I think needs to be decided to prevent characters from being too knowledgeable. I give you each the option to chose one or the other.
Zeph's knowledge is entirely in "where to stab and how to kill something". The facts he listed about the first Kurg creature was just "How did you kill that thing with such a tough hide and armored heart, and how did you make sure that it's acid didn't spill everywhere and contaminate you?". If he had been asked about the creature's diet, it's breeding habits, it's environment, or anything beyond "I know this thing is filled with acid and has good armor" then he would not have been able to answer.

Zeph is subjectively intelligent. He knows very few important facts about quite a few things. Sapient species in the universe are rare, so every university in the galaxy would be bringing them up during classes and lectures. There is not a single topic more fascinating in all of biology, nor a single topic more important to know when trying to kill something, than "How smart is this thing?"

That's why Zeph is not a professional assassin trained in stealth discipline, nor is he a military trained fighter, nor can he work any of the scientific instruments that Rin's character can. He is not even close to the most knowledge person on the ship, because he's never actually attended a school. He is also the worst shot on the entire ship, because he's never had military training.

The man is deliberately underpowered, a liability to himself and his team mates, and dude who's picked up jack of all trades knowledge for the express purpose of either getting a sloppy kill and living to tell the tale, or to tell somebody else how to kill something. The only reason I could possibly think of for why Zeph the College Dropout could have gotten on this ship is because he gets his jobs done with a unique skillset that is suited to one thing, and one thing only: Killing something that isn't looking, and running the gently-carress away.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 01, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
Killing something that isn't looking, and running the gently-carress away.
Stealth kills then?
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 01, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
That's still too broad. That's how you choose to use the knowledge not what it means. The beast killer here is ursea.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 01, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »
That's still too broad. That's how you choose to use the knowledge not what it means. The beast killer here is ursea.
Xenobiology is Sapient Biology, there's no way to diminish it further because sapience is incredibly rare. I don't see why this matters considering you're dumping him on an Ork world where his skills all mean literally jack, and in any mission outside this he'll only ever have knowledge on toxicology for Galactic Power species and "this thing has two hearts'' for dangerous alien species.

Your character's skills train her for Kurg species. She couldn't tell you how to poison a Kaveni, but Zeph couldn't actually even kill any of these beasts to begin with considering that he's not trained or strong enough to do so. Your character is both, while Rin's character knows more specialized biology than either of our characters will ever know. He can manipulate life and biochemistry in a laboratory, not just make killing-obsessed observations from afar.

Zeph is the only assassin, the only unprofessional rogue. Your objections are towards the least qualified person in this entire team being overpowered.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 01, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
In the first place, actually, there's no reason why Zeph's alien biology skill should be on the same rank as Rin's character. Can you change it to a Minor and give him the Assassination skill as a major?

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 01, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »
Stealth kills then?
No stealthy weapons. His knife makes noise as a vibroblade and his gun is an LMG. He usually just drops cyanide into human drinks and starts barfights to escape suspicion, or something along those lines.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
You aren't understanding me. Do you want to know where to stab sapients in the known galaxy, or random super fauna.

I am saying your knowledge is too broad for the beggining of this RP. This applies to Rin as well you know, I want him to decide where his knowledge lies, is it with alien fauna or alien sapients.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
You aren't understanding me. Do you want to know where to stab sapients in the known galaxy, or random super fauna.

I am saying your knowledge is too broad for the beggining of this RP. This applies to Rin as well you know, I want him to decide where his knowledge lies, is it with alien fauna or alien sapients.
This shouldn't have to apply to Rin. I'm fine with being limited to sapient killing (ultimately, Zeph didn't know how to kill the Kurg monster anyway) but this isn't a Warhammer RPG: The galaxy renowned scientist and professor isn't going to attain knowledge on all sapient biology that he's for some reason been ignoring his entire lifetime within the span of a few days.

There's no reason at all why Zeph should know how to kill alien creatures, though. Sapients are fine.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 01, 2017, 08:20:45 PM »
I have to disagree, Rin is as limited as the rest of you. He needs limits too I am sorry, this is an RP none-the-less, knowing all sapient biology in the known galaxy (Known is the key word) is definitely something a super reknown scientist would know.

If he wants to know more he can simply change his character sheet to suit that. However I am only giving him that option.

Their needs to be balance in this game, I can't just let someone know everything.

Its not like I am not going to let your character progress either. You will fully have the option to add more knowledge (minor at first), to your character if you choose to do so when I give the option.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:25:00 PM by LordNecross »

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #438 on: March 02, 2017, 02:22:53 AM »
I have to disagree, Rin is as limited as the rest of you. He needs limits too I am sorry, this is an RP none-the-less, knowing all sapient biology in the known galaxy (Known is the key word) is definitely something a super reknown scientist would know.

If he wants to know more he can simply change his character sheet to suit that. However I am only giving him that option.

Their needs to be balance in this game, I can't just let someone know everything.

Its not like I am not going to let your character progress either. You will fully have the option to add more knowledge (minor at first), to your character if you choose to do so when I give the option.

Technically, I am already limiting my character. Over the past years we have been working with the universe, I have made it no secret both in Game and with Grif through PMs that Ki'Jan have higher than Eidetic Form of Memory. It's just a species trait. If I was being accurate, he should know way more.

They have telepathic memories passed down from the very emergence of Telepathic ability, and granted they are extremely fuzzy and disjointed as you go that far back because of how the Ki'Jannian brain compresses and stores information, with the far earlier ones being a complete mess due to biological developmental issues, they do have the information. Their Telepathic Data Tablets can also interact with the Ki'Jannian Brain to upload and download memories as they see fit. So if a Ki'Jan doesn't have information about something, they just grab a telepathic file off of the Arcadonian Extranet and through telepathic reading interface with the tablet to form the neurons in their mind.

If a Ki'Jan read a novel and put it away, they would be able to come back a year later and read it out word for word from memory. Similarly, if they simply looked at a page of a book, they would be able to come back to that page in memory later when they had more time and read it from their memory.

If you also looked up and did the math on the dates in Ailuins backstory, you can also see I factored all of this into the Ki'Janning schoolings. He (like all Ki'Jan) graduated school at the age of 14. Which if you take off 4-5 years for Baby-PreSchooling you can see they only spend 9 years in compulsory education where two of those years are just to keep them in longer to get passed a biological stage in life.

My intelligence is pretty much my only asset. Yeah, I know how to fight and survive in the wilderness because he had practical training on almost every Arcadonian Laboratory across dozens and dozens of planets across the sector, some of them in some really harsh wildernesses and others on peaceful undersea outposts watching a Prehistoric civilization going about their daily lives just a kilometer away. I had also went through what is essentially Basic Boot camp because I was part of a Colonial Security team and Arcadonian Police and Military are essentially merged on that level, but even my work on that team was far from a Combat role except in the rare case where I needed to be at the scene in person, like with the Giant Spider story where I had to be in person distributing acid neutralization and other biological weapons to take down what would typically be considered a station destroying threat (and even then getting his ass kicked, even if he doesn't want to admit it out of pride)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:32:44 AM by killer rin »

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:06 AM »
despite your characters back story for you personally. For game balance he must be limited. otherwise this becomes and E-Penis wank.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 02, 2017, 03:00:18 AM »
GM word is law. If the GM says a character is limited, the character is limited.
Toaster

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #441 on: March 02, 2017, 03:33:44 AM »
GM word is law. If the GM says a character is limited, the character is limited.
It's fine... we got it sorted out on Discord

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 02, 2017, 04:49:24 AM »
Grif excluded.

Tobbs and Mike.

I need you to either sacrifice one weapon proficiency, or one knowledge or skill.

Remember in the character rules I specified only two weapon proficiencies.

This will help specialize you guys a bit more.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »
Grif excluded.

Tobbs and Mike.

I need you to either sacrifice one weapon proficiency, or one knowledge or skill.

Then I sacrifice Thada's pistol proficiency.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 03, 2017, 04:52:57 AM »
Grif excluded.

Tobbs and Mike.

I'll toss my knives overboard.
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:10 PM »
good good.

I'll move us forward. If Rin gets his post in, he gets it in, if not he can just talk during the meeting.

I'll try to get my post up soon, during the weekend.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 03, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »
I want to add another adventure character at some point, a Talesinaur pet for Zeph. The race is too interesting to not have any representation in the story.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 03, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
no. no multi-characters for you guys.

a pet from the beginning was fine. But a whole other character? no.

as NPCs we encounter its fine, but after one more character, no one else is being added to the crew.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 04, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »
I'm half tempted to have my char sleep on his chair... :D
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 04, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
I'll make a post to move this along tonight when I get home.

Then after reactions questions and such, I will move us to the tutorial mission.