Author Topic: OOC: Frontier: Cold Shock  (Read 77083 times)

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
Re: OOC: Frontier: Cold Shock
« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
Could be that Rin forgot the actual definition. :P

Oh that's completely likely. I'm not going to admit to it though. It made perfect sense in my mind at the time.

My thought process for choosing 14 was me starting at '1st generation', my brain saying "gently-carress you, that looks wrong", doing math to figure out the difference between colony being founded and his birth and then deciding to continue using generation to count the wave of children in a single year since the colonies founding. Which put him at 14th generation birth wave. Then from that I decided it would be cool if across all colonies Arcadonians used their colonial birth year differential when talking about their age instead of relying on a static galactic calendar, mainly because it sounds more prestigious and imperial.

...Also when I did a "define: generation" on google it came back with "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively." and hence when counted on a yearly basis it fits.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:49:12 PM by killer rin »

Offline ChellieRawr

• The Garbage Queen sits on her rightful throne
    • xlovelycurex
    • ChellieRawr
    • Chellie Rawr
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2017, 08:12:07 AM »
👀👀
ಥ‿ಥ :heart:

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
Vis have a pretty steady birthrate: Most adults will give birth to at least three children over the course of a hundred and fifty years, but they can't have more than one crystal child within a 15 year span (compared to humans, which usually have kids with 3-5 year gaps between them). This, however, means that the Vis can't repopulate very quickly following any massive population depletion.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 11, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
Okay, grif goes first, let's see who's next.
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
?
Don't mind Chellie, this is just what she does.

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
Vis have a pretty steady birthrate: Most adults will give birth to at least three children over the course of a hundred and fifty years, but they can't have more than one crystal child within a 15 year span (compared to humans, which usually have kids with 3-5 year gaps between them). This, however, means that the Vis can't repopulate very quickly following any massive population depletion.
Like a war with a race of genocidal choirboys :sorcerer:

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »
some key things I want to point out for the future of this game.

Just because you have a skill doesn't mean you should use it, like I say in the rules, be careful attempting certain things.

Another thing, while I am giving free reign in combat as long as I don't state that the enemy is too difficult for you to trivialize(Please make your combat posts have actual effort, don't be a super badass, at least take a few on the chin), you need to realize even though many of you have hand-to-hand as a skill it does not put you on even ground with all your foes, even fodder enemies.

If you are in hand to hand with a Kurg for example, the kurg will usually have the advantage so wits will be your best weapon. As most races in this game are far weaker than the Kurg, and have slower reaction times. The Kurg having four arms helps as well. So try not to get in fisticuffs with something way beyond your league.

If you are a human and you get grabbed by a kurg, you are done without help or some quick thinking. You could literally have your arms ripped from you like a paper doll, or have hole punched through you if you are unfortunate enough to not be wearing protection, and even then your ribcage will most definitely collapse and break.

Anyways I would have to say the Iko have thye best chance and I would chalk that up to Iko physiology allowing them to heal and they are quite large and I assume quick as well which would atl least put them on rather even footing though I still lean towards kurgs in most cases.

The next two with the best chances would be Taurgit and Kaveni due to natural size and strength, they are still at a disadvantage though.

-----------------------------------------

Another thing, for learning new weapon types, besides what you already know, I am gonna limit it further to single weapon proficiency.

meaning just because you learned how to use an "Exotic" weapon you just found in some ancient ruin, that doesn't give you the ability to use all weapon with the same type. It wouldn't make sense since exotic weapons vary wildly in function and design.

Another caveat as well, to use unmodified Kurg weapons, or anything you find later on that is typical used by high strength creatures, you will need mechanical assistance if you are one of the weaker races. refer to the fighting I mention above, those four races have the best ability with those types, however Iko, Taurgit, and Kaveni would still find Kurg weapons to be very tough to fire from the recoil, but at least they would be able to.

However their are modified versions available that typically give up something in exchange for being usable.

Anyways just remember, learning a new type won't allow the use of all if the the weapon in question is A.) vastly different B.) Requires specialty training due to certain quirks with the weapon itself.

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
I feel like this whole recruiting thing may take a while.. If Tobbs is ok with it I think it might be an idea to recruit Thada and Freya at the same time. Both are somewhat honorable mercs so it wouldn't be unreasonable to find them already working together.
Boo!

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:14 PM »
I feel like this whole recruiting thing may take a while.. If Tobbs is ok with it I think it might be an idea to recruit Thada and Freya at the same time. Both are somewhat honorable mercs so it wouldn't be unreasonable to find them already working together.

Well, given my characters racism towards humans, I feel like it would be a good idea to have one of the alien races be the ones that recruits/gathers me, so I'm going to be near the end of recruitments
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:45:54 PM by killer rin »

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 11, 2017, 11:34:16 PM »
It will take a bit, if you want to be picked up at the same time its up for you all to decide.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
One caveat of being in the same place, I don't want you to already know each other. At most maybe some knowledge of them.

This way everyone will get to know one another while adventuring.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2017, 12:42:45 AM »
It will take a bit, if you want to be picked up at the same time its up for you all to decide.

I don't gave a preferance either way, just an idea to speed things up.

One caveat of being in the same place, I don't want you to already know each other. At most maybe some knowledge of them.

This way everyone will get to know one another while adventuring.

That's reasonable, better keep getting to know rach other for the actual game.
Boo!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2017, 03:01:17 AM »
I don't gave a preferance either way, just an idea to speed things up.

That's reasonable, better keep getting to know rach other for the actual game.
I also already have a scenario in mind for Thada; Necross and I briefly discussed it through PM. He and Freya might just be around the same area, but I didn't plan on Thada being in a position where he worked with anyone.

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2017, 06:06:39 AM »
Everybody who's been around the independent parts of the galaxy for any significant amount of time will probably have heard of Zeph or seen one of his performances, he's very loud and ostentatious and tends to get the attention of every race for his ability to speak every known major language.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2017, 07:20:54 AM »
Everybody who's been around the independent parts of the galaxy for any significant amount of time will probably have heard of Zeph or seen one of his performances, he's very loud and ostentatious and tends to get the attention of every race for his ability to speak every known major language.

So safe to say he's familiar with the Independent Systems, Union of Free Colonies as well as a number of obscure settlements then?

Well, given my characters racism towards humans, I feel like it would be a good idea to have one of the alien races be the ones that recruits/gathers me, so I'm going to be near the end of recruitments

Or it could be Neal and an alien character, to have a really interesting recruitment scenario.
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
While Ailuin is a well renowned xenobiologist, I doubt anybody but Grif's character would actually know who I am, and that's only because his character worked intelligence and our two Civs are locked in a massive cold war.

Or it could be Neal and an alien character, to have a really interesting recruitment scenario.

Well it would certainly be something to remember thats for sure.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:27:27 AM by killer rin »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2017, 07:53:09 AM »
While Ailuin is a well renowned xenobiologist, I doubt anybody but Grif's character would actually know who I am, and that's only because his character worked intelligence and our two Civs are locked in a massive cold war.

Well Osiris/Aesen would know as well probably.

Well it would certainly be something to remember thats for sure.

I foresee a brief..."altercation"...
I'm back people...

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
Well Osiris/Aesen would know as well probably.

I foresee a brief..."altercation"...
True, but I figured Osiris and Aesen would be a given since they are the ones doing the recruiting.

That would be one way to put it

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
So safe to say he's familiar with the Independent Systems, Union of Free Colonies as well as a number of obscure settlements then?
Yup, he's familiar with a lot of places. He doesn't care where he stows away to, so long as its somewhere where he's not going to get in trouble for existing as a Vis. He's been to the Coalition States, dived into the Hydrosian ocean, and accidentally blew up a cargo freighter on San Mondi while trying to assassinate a drug runner. He's had dubious relations with a Kaveni princess (despite not having the organs for it), brawled with (and got thrown out of an airlock by) a Kurg, and hasn't talked to another Vis in a decade.

He is a man without morals, a brawler who's never had an ID, a garbageman with a military light machine gun.

He is Zeph, the most Worthless Vis in existence.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Yup, he's familiar with a lot of places. He doesn't care where he stows away to, so long as its somewhere where he's not going to get in trouble for existing as a Vis. He's been to the Coalition States, dived into the Hydrosian ocean, and accidentally blew up a cargo freighter on San Mondi while trying to assassinate a drug runner. He's had dubious relations with a Kaveni princess (despite not having the organs for it), brawled with (and got thrown out of an airlock by) a Kurg, and hasn't talked to another Vis in a decade.

He is a man without morals, a brawler who's never had an ID, a garbageman with a military light machine gun.

He is Zeph, the most Worthless Vis in existence.
I approve.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
Hm...Guess I'll end up being last in line.
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »
Hm...Guess I'll end up being last in line.
Who is next has not been decided yet.

Offline wisekill1

• wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »
I also already have a scenario in mind for Thada; Necross and I briefly discussed it through PM. He and Freya might just be around the same area, but I didn't plan on Thada being in a position where he worked with anyone.
Ok, we will just keep them separate
Boo!

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »
You know Necross, it might be a good idea to think about merging some of these introductions together, or at least doing them in parallel. Otherwise we will be waiting a long time before we get into the tutorial mission.