Author Topic: OOC: Soldiers through Time  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
OOC: Soldiers through Time
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
Welcome to Soldiers through Time. In this PBP you will create your very own character and have him or her, together with a group of other characters, live through the centuries with the start in the early 11th century. On your way you can uncover hidden treasures, meet historical characters and fight for freedom, liberty, or just for gold, and whatever else falls in your taste. Slay a dragon, fight the French, or aim down your sights at Adolf Hitler, or maybe Winston Churchill, it's all up to you. Chose your side, chose your path.

The Character sheet

Anyone can join StT at any time, even long after the game has begun. If you wish to join, simply fill in the character sheet below, and send it to me through PM. And remember to update your sheet as the game progresses through time. You can't wear chain mail and have a dead name in the 20th century.
Spoiler for Character sheet:
Name:
Place of birth:
Appearance:
Personality:
Fears/superstitions:
Possessions:
Background:
Remember to think for a short while on what is plausible when choosing gear. For example, there were barely any armor at all in the 11th century besides chain mail, helmets, boots and shields. Plate armor was not yet invented.

And since the 11th century was a time filled with superstition, it is mandatory to fill in the "Fears/Superstitions". Besides, everyone is afraid of something. Be it heights, darkness, tight spaces or loneliness.

Rules

The first and most important rule you need to know is this: I am God in this realm. If I say something happens, it happens. I decide when and where you have an encounter, and what you encounter. I will also decide what the surroundings look like, and which paths are viable. However, should my decisions not please, I could be persuaded.

Even though this world is a blend between history and fantasy, I want to keep an element of realism in this game. That means you cannot play Dovahkiin when you encounter a dragon, having eternal life is not the same as being immortal.

Combat is decided through the roll of the die. This is how the die system works.
1 - Complete miss
2 - A scratch
3 - Flesh wound
4 - Crippling wound
5 - Mortal wound (can also be crippling)
6 - Instant death
When you start using weapons with ammunition, you have to tell how many shots you fire off, and you will get one roll for each shot. I will shape the scene after your results. And don't worry, you cannot get instantly killed in a fight. The only way your characters will die is if you break the rules.

Speaking of which, I will use the dot-system, since I like that one. If you break a rule - of which I may slap in more as the game progresses - or generally being a douche, I will first give you a warning. If it happens again, I will give you a "dot". Three dots and your character dies gruesomely.

Game news

This part will show what is going on in the known world. It will show the current year, where you are, and certain main events that you currently know about, or have heard rumors about. Should you join any of these events, depending on what it is, it could greatly affect the flow of your story; because remember, this is your story, not mine.

For example, once the New World is discovered, if you decide to go with the Spanish in search of riches, chances are you will spend a long time in the Americas, maybe even centuries should you wish. And if you decide to kill a dragon, you may be known as dragon slayers throughout the area, or even the realm.

Year: 1028 AD
Place: Brixen, Holy Roman Empire
A group of men are said to be hiring mercenaries at the inn at Brixen.
The Holy Roman Emperor has started recruiting soldiers at a mass. Some say he is preparing for a potential offensive from the Polish.
A pack of brown wyverns are said to be terrorizing the town of Trient, a few days walk from Brixen.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:20:37 PM by Tobbs »

Keep calm and move along.

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
Re: OOC: Soldiers through Time
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:58 AM »

Characters

Spoiler for Sir Owen of Nottingham=Grif101:
Name: Sir Owen of Nottingham
Nationality: English
Place of birth: Nottingham, England
Appearance: Dark brown hair, grey-blue eyes, athletic build, facial stubble
Personality: Chivalrous but practical, realistic, professional
Fears/superstitions: Straying from his faith (Catholic)
Possessions: Broadsword, wooden shield, iron helmet, chain mail with nobleman's tabard, mail coif.
Background: Born into the Anglo-Saxon nobility in Nottingham, was raised from birth to be a knight as was the custom with noble sons. He grew up with high expectations placed upon him as a son of the nobility. His mother died while young and has one brother and two half-sisters (from his father's second marriage). For the present he practices his skills awaits the day when the King may issue a call to arms.
Spoiler for Issa Suleiman=Ragez:
Name: Issa Suleiman
Nationality: Seljuq Dynasty
Place of birth: From what is now known as Northern Kuwait
Appearance: Short dark brown hair, green eyes, muscular build, 6.1 feet tall, mostly cleanly shaven, and a light olive skin color.
Personality: Kind, but not very talkative. Negative experiences with war and fighting has lead him to always choose the option of making peace over the option of fighting, making him a rather calm person who isn't easily irritated.
Fears/superstitions: Jinnis, whirlwinds, and losing those that are dear to him.
Possessions: Chainmail armor, a long bladed scimitar, and a short dagger.
Background: Issa was born in Northern Kuwait, in a small village not worth naming. His father died of disease at the age of 12, and his mother was always too preoccupied taking care of his other brothers and sisters to notice him very much after he turned 14. At the age of 15, he left the village and became an apprentice/guard for his grandfather, a travelling merchant/scholar.

His grandfather was a father figure to him for most of his life, until one day they were caught up in a sudden war between tribes that erupted in a city. He managed to make it out, but his grandfather did not; for he sacraficed his life to make sure that Issa lived.

That day changed Issa forever, he became a soldier and fought in several wars against the tribe that had killed his grandfather for several years, until one day the tribe noticed his efforts and put a huge bounty on his head.

He quickly fled, taking what belongings he had and running away to Syria and becoming a merchant. Assassins and bounty hunters followed him all the way there, but he dispatched them using the skills he had gained over his years of experience.

Issa spent four years being a merchant in Syria, using the skills he had inherited from his grandfather to become rather successful, until one day he was found out by a bounty hunter that had recognized his face. Issa fought the bounty hunter, but wasn't able to kill him before he ran away defeated to fetch his friends in order to gang up on him.

Seeing no other option, he quickly sold his remaining merchandise to a friend, packed up his belongings, and fled in personal boat to escape the bounty hunters. He wasn't much of a sailer, but he eventually ended up sailing right into an Italian port. Seeing an opportunity to start anew, he sold his boat, bought a horse, and rode to whatever city caught his fancy.

That city had just happened to be Brixen, and by now he had been residing there for three years making a living as a merchant. He occasionally took the odd job as a mercenary, but preferred his work as a merchant.
Spoiler for Embla Svartalf=Godur:
Name: Embla "Svartalf"
Nationality: Svear
Place of birth: Outskirts of Sigtuna stad, Uppland, Central Scandinavia
Appearance: Embla stand 166 cm tall, and with a lithe build and small frame she doesn't seem like much. By most people she would be considered pretty with smoothly sculpted facial features, a petit nose, full red lips and large green eyes. Her hair is a bright red, and usually tied up behind her head or hidden under her clothes.  On occassion she can be seen sporting a malicious grin, and a crazy stare, and may appear unsettling then.

Embla is usually dressed in a simple brown and white dress, and a hooded cloak made of black wool, the cloth of both hiding patches of mail-weave that she has unceremoniously sewn on. Strapped to a rather large belt she keep two long daggers and a leather pouch meant for carrying things.

When expecting combat she'll also have a padded gambeson on to give better protection to her torso, as well as bracers and leggings made of skin or leather.

Personality:
On a good day Embla hold an outward facade of a confident young woman, who does not shy away from things that might seem socially unacceptable for women, like heavy drinking, fighting, seducing others. She enjoy sarcasm and irony, but also especially morbid jokes. Sometimes she can be noted to have an unhealthy fascination with death and violence, small signs that her true nature shine through.

On a bad day her facade, of relative normality, crumbles completely, and she'll be openly sadistic, cold, rude and brutally agressive. She is ruthless and prone to anger and violence, and enjoy wrecking havoc with her surroundings. There's no hiding her morbid nature once her facade has fallen, and she will go about with it with utter glee and almost feral abandon.

Fears/superstitions:
Asir faith,  and believes herself to be a champion or even avatar of Loki and Hel. She sacrifices live creatures at least once a week for fear that Loki's "blessing" and her luck will run out.

Possessions:
*A woolen dress cut to fit her form perfectly, and adjusted, and reinforced with patches of mail, by herself to give her a degree of mobility and protection. Also a cloak.
*Padded armour gambeson.
*Bracers and shin-guards of hardened leather.
*A large belt pouch containing some hygiene equipment, lockpicks, wheatstone, a steel mirror, some stolen makeup.
*Backpack containing a bedroll, a few days of food, a waterskin, a bottle of cheap wine.
*A handful of coin

Background:
 Born in one of the many farm situated in the far outskirts of Sigtuna Embla was the daughter of one of the wealthier farmers in the area, and had a relatively good start of her life. This would not last however as the farm was raided by bandits when Embla was still a girl, and her family was brutally murdered before her eyes, and her home burned down.

Taken by the bandits to their camp she was quickly forced to work for them to save her life; cleaning their equipment and making food as she was routinely beaten, abused and raped. This treatment, together with the murder of her family, completely shattered her psyche and by the time the bandits were hunted down by a group of huscarls she was a broken shadow of a girl.

The huscarls took Embla to their master's home, where she remained for a few months while she recovered from the superficial trauma. Her mind was still shattered however, and she ran away shortly thereafter only to end up on the streets of Sigtuna.

Living on the streets was harsh, but seemed to suit Embla better somehow, and she ran with numerous criminals dring her teens. Eventually growing bored she later, despite being  female, managed to convince an aging warlord to let her come with on a couple of raids.

Traveling with the pirates she picked up numerous languages, including English, French, German and some latin, which she speaks with moderate fluency. She also earned the nickname "Svartalf" from the pirates, and later mercenaries, due to her savage and sadistic style of combat. A name most would see as an omen, but Embla instead embraced fully.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:34:25 PM by Tobbs »

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
Sweet, I will get around to making my character once I get back from some little work I have to do.  Breton, Welsh, or Germanic.... damn the choices.

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
Just thought I should mention something for you to remember once we start: you do not have eternal life in the beginning, you are normal people with a talent for fighting. Just so we can avoid any mistakes with conversation, for example.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:13:52 PM by Tobbs »

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
Hmmm...can I assume that Sir Owen will gain eternal life before the Battle of Hastings? Because until then he's not going to be doing much except fighting off the occassional viking raid...
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
Hmmm...can I assume that Sir Owen will gain eternal life before the Battle of Hastings? Because until then he's not going to be doing much except fighting off the occassional viking raid...
All characters will gain it at the same time. And yes, long before Hastings.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:53:55 AM »
All characters will gain it at the same time. And yes, long before Hastings.

Excellent!
I'm back people...

Offline Ragez

• Sky King of Edolas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
Name: Issa Suleiman
Nationality: Seljuq Dynasty
Place of birth: From what is now known as Northern Kuwait
Appearance: Short dark brown hair, green eyes, muscular build, 6.1 feet tall, mostly cleanly shaven, and a light olive skin color.
Personality: Kind, but not very talkative. Negative experiences with war and fighting has lead him to always choose the option of making peace over the option of fighting, making him a rather calm person who isn't easily irritated.
Fears/superstitions: Jinnis, whirlwinds, and losing those that are dear to him.
Possessions: Chainmail armor similar to this, but with no helmet, a long bladed scimitar, and a short dagger.
Background: Issa was born in Northern Kuwait, in a small village not worth naming. His father died of disease at the age of 12, and his mother was always too preoccupied taking care of his other brothers and sisters to notice him very much after he turned 14. At the age of 15, he left the village and became an apprentice/guard for his grandfather, a travelling merchant/scholar.

His grandfather was a father figure to him for most of his life, until one day they were caught up in a sudden war between tribes that erupted in a city. He managed to make it out, but his grandfather did not; for he sacraficed his life to make sure that Issa lived.

That day changed Issa forever, he became a soldier and fought in several wars against the tribe that had killed his grandfather for several years, until one day the tribe noticed his efforts and put a huge bounty on his head.

He quickly fled, taking what belongings he had and running away to Syria and becoming a merchant. Assassins and bounty hunters followed him all the way there, but he dispatched them using the skills he had gained over his years of experience.

Issa spent four years being a merchant in Syria, using the skills he had inherited from his grandfather to become rather successful, until one day he was found out by a bounty hunter that had recognized his face. Issa fought the bounty hunter, but wasn't able to kill him before he ran away defeated to fetch his friends in order to gang up on him.

Seeing no other option, he quickly sold his remaining merchandise to a friend, packed up his belongings, and fled in personal boat to escape the bounty hunters. He wasn't much of a sailer, but he eventually ended up sailing right into an Italian port. Seeing an opportunity to start anew, he sold his boat, bought a horse, and rode to whatever city caught his fancy.

That city had just happened to be Brixen, and by now he had been residing there for three years making a living as a merchant. He occasionally took the odd job as a mercenary, but preferred his work as a merchant.
"You accept darkness, yet choose to live in the light. So why is it that you loathe us who teeter on the edge of nothing? We, who were turned away by both light and dark - never given a choice?"

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Wow, there was...not as much interest as it first seemed at all.

Ah well, if I once in time get enough sheets, I might start it if everyone's still on.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:37:24 AM »
Wow, there was...not as much interest as it first seemed at all.

Ah well, if I once in time get enough sheets, I might start it if everyone's still on.

I'm still up for it, but can't do much until immortality comes our way. Perhaps if something...foreshadowing happened in England?
I'm back people...

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:38:29 AM »
I'm still up for it, but can't do much until immortality comes our way. Perhaps if something...foreshadowing happened in England?
I gave you all three options you could follow as your first "quest". All of them will lead to the same place, and it is there that you will get what you want.