Author Topic: Choices, Choices... Degree in Computer Science or Game Development?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
As some of you may know, I have just gotten results from the colleges that I have applied to that I have been accepted -to all of them I might add. Due to this, I have been doing some good hard thinking about the path I want to take. I have two courses here that I have been accepted into from one of the accredited collages here in Ontario that I am planning on going to, we have Game Development and Computer Science.

I have been doing some research on both of the courses, and they both seem pretty solid in terms of that I would be educated and certified in. Although, this still leaves me on the question... Game Development of Computer Science. I'm sure some of you have seen my games that I have designed and developed solo inside of the OC section of the forum. During every single one of them I have had a blast making, each one was fun, challenging, turned out really well and generally, something I could really see myself wanting to spend the rest of my life doing as a career.

On the other hand, I would need to be able to find a career in the field, and from what I have read... if things don't turn out, a degree in Game development is sorta moot in terms of applying for a regular career as a software developer should the need ever arise, although back to the other hand the Game Development course would be educating me on Programming languages for the entire three years on top of the game design oriented classes. But not the least is that Canada is third in the world in terms of game design.

So with this stalemate I decided I would ask some people about the two courses and get some outsider opinions on what I should do so I can in term allow myself to make a more educated decision in the process.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:40:19 AM by killer rin »

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
Re: Choices, Choices... Degree in Computer Science or Game Development?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
As of right now my choice of career is in Computer science with a Minor in psychology. I would recommend computer science with intents for programming on multiple levels. be versatile.

Game Development....is well game development, and is limited to that in terms of the degree. It would also seem computer science has a larger range of possible careers, that the degree would apply to.

That is how I see it.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:13 AM »
Computer Games can be a good career choice, but if the market's not saturated. Some studios/publishers are laying off right now and downsizing. Also, be conscious that it the is norm in the game industry to have "crunch time".
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »
As some of you may know, I have just gotten results from the colleges that I have applied to that I have been accepted -to all of them I might add. Due to this, I have been doing some good hard thinking about the path I want to take. I have two courses here that I have been accepted into from one of the accredited collages here in Ontario that I am planning on going to, we have Game Development and Computer Science.

I have been doing some research on both of the courses, and they both seem pretty solid in terms of that I would be educated and certified in. Although, this still leaves me on the question... Game Development of Computer Science. I'm sure some of you have seen my games that I have designed and developed solo inside of the OC section of the forum. During every single one of them I have had a blast making, each one was fun, challenging, turned out really well and generally, something I could really see myself wanting to spend the rest of my life doing as a career.

On the other hand, I would need to be able to find a career in the field, and from what I have read... if things don't turn out, a degree in Game development is sorta moot in terms of applying for a regular career as a software developer should the need ever arise, although back to the other hand the Game Development course would be educating me on Programming languages for the entire three years on top of the game design oriented classes.

So with this stalemate I decided I would ask some people about the two courses and get some outsider opinions on what I should do so I can in term allow myself to make a more educated decision in the process.

Depends a little bit on what computer science means to this course.  Some (many) CS courses are pushing you toward IT, the problem with IT is it moves to fast.  Anything you learn in your first year will be obsolete by your fourth.  That's why they all say degree or experience on the applications.

Now programming courses are a little different, the things you learn in a programming course will last you a lifetime, how to build algorithms, design equations, etc etc.  You can switch languages and all that still applies.  But a game development course will focus on game style programming which can differ from general programming sometimes.

Either way any either degree would be all about how you spin it in your resume/interview for something outside it's field.  A doubly fun game when you have no degree to play with at all. :P
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
Computer science opens up a lot of career options, more so than game design and usually you can do game design courses in a comp sci degree. While the things you learn may be outdated by the time it comes to getting a job your employer generally won't know that unless its a specific IT firm. :)
...scum.

Offline RobotNixon

• With an axe to grind.
    • AdultPuppetShow
    • XRobotWerewolfX
    • BeastLingo42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
I say go with what you're passionate about. A lot of people say that doing such a thing is naive and career fatalism, but if you enjoy doing something you're probably going to work harder at it.

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
You aren't just asking us, a bunch of people you don't even know, right?

I mean, I understand wanting advice, but not if you're only getting it from an... off source.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
You aren't just asking us, a bunch of people you don't even know, right?

I mean, I understand wanting advice, but not if you're only getting it from an... off source.
No, my decision is going to come from multiple angles, mainly my own, but I'm also getting opinions from my Computer Science and Math teachers on top of it. By getting advice from some of the people here I can think about some things in my process of choosing that I would have never looked at it like before; For example, what Tran brought up with how at the end of the program my prior knowledge would be outdated is something I completely looked over.

Offline Mazder_Verhal

• I have a bad feeling about this...
    • http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031547390
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
Okay well coming from my perspective as the type of person who will sorta be in you position but this will be more of the US equivalent of a minor for me I'd say go with what will primarily make you happy.
For me if I were deciding whether or not to do the games version of the Comp Sci one I'd most likely choose the one which would feel right. But in this day and age I'd pick the computer science course as it has more career prospects and here that is something that is vital.

I suppose you can learn the Computer games programming at a later date and on the side if you're dedicated to games but still want a career to hold you afloat but is it something you're willing to add another three years onto your life for?

Your position has made me think about my situation and while it'd most likely be a minor for me as I'd be going into modelling more I think it's still a hard decision to make.

Whatever you decide I'd say do the one which will bring about the best outcome for the near future to at least get you down the path. I myself would most likely choose the one which'd make my life a bit easier in the short term and then go into the happy option, but then that's also a what-if scenario. Hmmm. It's a hard choice so yeah...I'd say for practicality go for the career choice over the games one based on what I know of here, while it may not be exactly the same it has to be similar.
Come look at my art.
Deviantart: http://mazder-1x5.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://mazderverhal.tumblr.com/
Leave ideas or critiques or anything with me there or anywhere you can reach me. :)

Offline Minimum

• this.getPersonalText();
    • minimum
    • minimum754
    • minimum754
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »
I would go with Computer Science.  This was my decision when I graduated high school.  From what I've heard a majority of gaming studios love to overwork and underpay due to pressure from publishers.  Most people who enter the gaming field only last a year or two before they get burnt out.  Personally if I had a game dev job work me 70-80 hour weeks for only $60k I would be looking for a boring corporate programming job ASAP.  I'd have to be raking in at least twice that amount at entry-level to justify working there.  Essentially dedicating your life to your job for an entry-level salary isn't my idea of a good time.  I love making games but I also don't like working as a slave.

Most people feel the same way as the turnover rate for game devs is horrifically quick.  Don't dedicate yourself to an industry which is notorious for abusing its employees.  Not unless you can guarantee yourself a job at a respectable developer for life.

Another thing, the best way of getting a job in the gaming industry is by having a good portfolio.  Focus on the comp sci degree in school and focus on game dev in your free time.  That way you can actually learn game dev and also have something to show for yourself.