Author Topic: Mass Effect: NO SIGNAL  (Read 539619 times)

Offline Yan Luos nar Tonbay

• View Profile
Re: Mass Effect: NO SIGNAL
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 06:12:38 AM »
Its less a door than an interlaced series of flaps.  The occupied sign hanging on one shifts as the turian talon presses against it, revealing a slivered glimpse inside-- and an armored boot, bottom facing out, as if its owner was seated.

Reaching out, Yan catches the plastic flap swinging in the wintery breeze, peeling the door to the tent aside as his helmeted head slides into view within the interior of the pavilion. If nothing else, he could simply say the wind pulled the tent open and he stumbled in.

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »
"I don't look desperate, you mean," he replies, sharing a bit of mirth at their probable companion's expense.  The cigarette stub is flicked into a nearby garbage.  "I could ask the same of you, Devin was it?  But I'll answer.  Credits are an incentive, despite appearances."

Pulling the badge on his coat out fully reveals his picture, name, and Doctors Without Borders branding.  "They pay, alright, but not enough to live... comfortably.  So I do a bit of charity, then a bit of freelance.  The pay on this one was supposed to be pretty high, so I was hoping to finance a full year or more dedicated to charity.  Help people, see the galaxy, build goodwill.  Can't ask for a better gig, when it comes to our species."

"Commendable," Devin replies, emphasizing the word with a curt nod of his head.

Had to love the bleeding-heart types. Always so willing to help that they'd just about believe anything that was spoon-fed to them. As much as Devin was tempted to see what amount of credits he could pull from the man, he decided that getting on the bad side of this mission's only doctor would likely be short-sighted.
Eight of Clubs, Ace of Spades, Ace of Clubs, Eight of Spades

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 06:20:50 AM »
Reaching out, Yan catches the plastic flap swinging in the wintery breeze, peeling the door to the tent aside as his helmeted head slides into view within the interior of the pavilion. If nothing else, he could simply say the wind pulled the tent open and he stumbled in.

His explanation would have to wait, unless the asari seated on the ground miraculously awoke.

Matron stage, going by the face and bust.  Otherwise the armor draws one's immediate attention, its condition immaculate, as evidenced by the slick gleam to its grey and blue camouflage pattern.  A pistol is clipped to her thigh, while her arms are outstretched, both lacking an omnitool but the right ultimately ending in a closed fist.  Her belt, meanwhile, has several closed pockets, providing the storage the armor otherwise prevented.

The introduction of a quarian head does not earn a reaction, as her eyes are closed, her head slumped.

"And in the end, said the witch to the drowning prince, you've been the one choosing the path of the Rose in spite of knowing where it lead.  To petals, yes, but the abyss of thorns as well."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
"Commendable," Devin replies, emphasizing the word with a curt nod of his head.

Had to love the bleeding-heart types. Always so willing to help that they'd just about believe anything that was spoon-fed to them. As much as Devin was tempted to see what amount of credits he could pull from the man, he decided that getting on the bad side of this mission's only doctor would likely be short-sighted.

The other human shrugs modestly.  "It pays the bills, usually." 

A second look over Devin's shoulder earns another shake of his head, this time followed by his picking up of the duffle bag at his feet.  "Looks like that quarian and turian are getting into trouble.  Care to assist in my injecting of some experience into that youthful scene?"

"And in the end, said the witch to the drowning prince, you've been the one choosing the path of the Rose in spite of knowing where it lead.  To petals, yes, but the abyss of thorns as well."

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »
His explanation would have to wait, unless the asari seated on the ground miraculously awoke.

Matron stage, going by the face and bust.  Otherwise the armor draws one's immediate attention, its condition immaculate, as evidenced by the slick gleam to its grey and blue camouflage pattern.  A pistol is clipped to her thigh, while her arms are outstretched, both lacking an omnitool but the right ultimately ending in a closed fist.  Her belt, meanwhile, has several closed pockets, providing the storage the armor otherwise prevented.

The introduction of a quarian head does not earn a reaction, as her eyes are closed, her head slumped.

Peaking in after the quarian, the young turian opens the door fully when she sees the occupant is fully dressed. "Hey," she says, pulling away the headphones again. "Hey! You alright?" she calls, moving to pull the woman's head back up.

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:34 AM »

Quietly, Yan's hand slides back behind him to pin the flap of the tent closed fast before sliding down to his knees into the black sand. A three-fingered hand brushes along the asari's cheek for a brief moment, tilting her head back and pressing his metal-tipped fingers to her neck. His free hand slides down to the slumped woman's clenched fist, hoping to rouse her.

"V'nado?"

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26:49 AM »
As the two leave, Temoi just shrugs, occupying the space in front of the bartender. She then orders a complicated cocktail with the most types of liquor in it to entertain the barkeep and impede sight.

"Oh hell," the bartender curses, glancing over Temoi's shoulder as she places the ordered drink before her.  "I told that quarian to rein in the turian, not stick his head in there."

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »
The other human shrugs modestly.  "It pays the bills, usually." 

A second look over Devin's shoulder earns another shake of his head, this time followed by his picking up of the duffle bag at his feet.  "Looks like that quarian and turian are getting into trouble.  Care to assist in my injecting of some experience into that youthful scene?"

Taking one last, extra long drag, Devin picked the cigarette from his mouth and flicked it away, leaving it as part of the beach's scenery.

"What the hell," he shrugged as he pushed himself off the fence. "Might as well see what I'm getting into."

Offline Captain Seluj Temoi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 06:29:39 AM »
"Oh hell," the bartender curses, glancing over Temoi's shoulder as she places the ordered drink before her.  "I told that quarian to rein in the turian, not stick his head in there."

"Huh?" The asari says, turning her head in front of the bartender by accident. There's no turian or quarian to be seen?

"Who are you talking about? I don't see anything."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 06:31:56 AM »
Peaking in after the quarian, the young turian opens the door fully when she sees the occupant is fully dressed. "Hey," she says, pulling away the headphones again. "Hey! You alright?" she calls, moving to pull the woman's head back up.

Quietly, Yan's hand slides back behind him to pin the flap of the tent closed fast before sliding down to his knees into the black sand. A three-fingered hand brushes along the asari's cheek for a brief moment, tilting her head back and pressing his metal-tipped fingers to her neck. His free hand slides down to the slumped woman's clenched fist, hoping to rouse her.

"V'nado?"

Neither touch rouses her, although Yan's exploration of her neck reveals the left strap going from breastplate over her shoulder undone, the hand below perhaps suggesting she had unhooked it just before... dying.

There is no pulse, nor breathing.

Oli's experience may have been in Armiger Armor, but she's also quick to note a piece of dark grey tape on the asari's pauldron.

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 06:33:26 AM »
Neither touch rouses her, although Yan's exploration of her neck reveals the left strap going from breastplate over her shoulder undone, the hand below perhaps suggesting she had unhooked it just before... dying.

There is no pulse, nor breathing.

Oli's experience may have been in Armiger Armor, but she's also quick to note a piece of dark grey tape on the asari's pauldron.

"Hey! HEY!" Oliviar calls, darting out of the dressing stall. "Someone get a doctor!"

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 06:39:45 AM »
"Hey! HEY!" Oliviar calls, darting out of the dressing stall. "Someone get a doctor!"

A slight frown suppresses the smirk she carried. Muttering into her throat mic, Temoi walks over to inspect the scene, her slight form stomping forward unimpeded towards the tent.

"Prepare an A2 loadout. Engage awareness. Escalation expected."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2014, 06:41:50 AM »
The human's attention, the bartender's ire, and the yelling turian suddenly focus all eyes on center-most pavilion.

"Hell," Adilet curses, running towards the scene.  It only takes him a moment's glance inside for a second curse to slip his lips.  Turning back, he points to the two nearest sentients.  "Turian, Devin, keep everyone else back.  Call the police, too."

Kneeling down, opposite Yan, he repeats the simple procedure of confirming a lack of breathing.  The curses stop, replaced by quiet focus.  "Quarian, I need you to get her breastplate off, I need to start chest compressions.  Search her too, if she's a junkie or something I need to know."  His bag is open, several medical implements spilling out.  "I am a doctor, by the way, if you haven't noticed.  Hurry!"

The bartender is already on her omnitool, waiting for police dispatch, her eyes widen.  The other beachgoers are rapidly forming a circle around the tent in question, while through the crowd and flaps Temoi alone can recognize the asari.

Alys V'nado.

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2014, 06:47:10 AM »
The human's attention, the bartender's ire, and the yelling turian suddenly focus all eyes on center-most pavilion.

"Hell," Adilet curses, running towards the scene.  It only takes him a moment's glance inside for a second curse to slip his lips.  Turning back, he points to the two nearest sentients.  "Turian, Devin, keep everyone else back.  Call the police, too."

Kneeling down, opposite Yan, he repeats the simple procedure of confirming a lack of breathing.  The curses stop, replaced by quiet focus.  "Quarian, I need you to get her breastplate off, I need to start chest compressions.  Search her too, if she's a junkie or something I need to know."  His bag is open, several medical implements spilling out.  "I am a doctor, by the way, if you haven't noticed.  Hurry!"

The bartender is already on her omnitool, waiting for police dispatch, her eyes widen.  The other beachgoers are rapidly forming a circle around the tent in question, while through the crowd and flaps Temoi alone can recognize the asari.

Alys V'nado.

Yan, for all the apparent swagger and bravado he displayed, proves remarkably quick on the draw in a medical emergency, an underrated virtue held by most species and yet utterly essential in the life of a quarian. Stepping forward, the quarian's omnitool flares to life around his left hand, a muttered word beneath his breath activating some unknown protocol and forming a precision laser at the mouth of the haptic construct. With deliberate slices at the straps holding the breastplate together, the camouflaged plates are cast aside and her belts of pouches are set aside. Sliding aside for the doctor, Yan empties the asari's pouches before him, searching for anything remarkable.

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2014, 06:47:23 AM »

Alys V'nado.

With the bartender already on the phone, Oliviar does as she is asked. "Alright, back up a bit, give the man some room to work!" she says, gesturing for the forming crowd to move back.

Glancing back towards the dead asari, Oliviar merely shakes her head, a mandible twitching. Crossing her arms, she looks away. What had she just walked into?

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »
A slight frown suppresses the smirk she carried. Muttering into her throat mic, Temoi walks over to inspect the scene, her slight form stomping forward unimpeded towards the tent.

"Prepare an A2 loadout. Engage awareness. Escalation expected."

As ever, the voice is chipper and prompt.  "Yes Captain.  Cycling down chargers, preparing for immediate launch.  Please note: local communications traffic has increased, with several calls forwarded to the local constabulary.  A message is also incoming for a recipient with quarian naming conventions, although constabulary response is delaying it."

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »

Alys V'nado.

Devin's approach to the tent is far slower than the good doctor's. Where as Adilet ran towards the tent when a doctor was called, Devin's own pace slowed dramatically. He knew a bad situation when he saw one and instantly decided he didn't want to be a part of it. Whatever the payout was, a dead body instantly made it not worth it.

The man had been all but ready to turn on his heels and leave, but was stopped by the doctor calling out to him, using his name and drawing attention towards him. Now people saw him and if he just left, they would remember him. That would lead to someone describing him to the police, and the last thing he wanted was that on his back.

Cursing under his breath, Devin had no choice but to continue towards the tent.

Coming around it's corner, he was given a good look inside at the body spread limp upon it's floor.

"Ain't that a bitch," he muttered.

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »
With the bartender already on the phone, Oliviar does as she is asked. "Alright, back up a bit, give the man some room to work!" she says, gesturing for the forming crowd to move back.

Glancing back towards the dead asari, Oliviar merely shakes her head, a mandible twitching. Crossing her arms, she looks away. What had she just walked into?

Unlike the punked-up turian girl, Devin's own version of helping appears to be standing between the tent and the gathering onlookers with his hands stuffed into the pockets of his coat with a grim expression on his face.

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »
As ever, the voice is chipper and prompt.  "Yes Captain.  Cycling down chargers, preparing for immediate launch.  Please note: local communications traffic has increased, with several calls forwarded to the local constabulary.  A message is also incoming for a recipient with quarian naming conventions, although constabulary response is delaying it."

"Copy it to me and bump the original forward with an urgent flag." Temoi replies, walking up to the turian.

Once in front of Valerius, the asari draws close and affixes the taller being with her stare.

"That's her."

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »
"Copy it to me and bump the original forward with an urgent flag." Temoi replies, walking up to the turian.

Once in front of Valerius, the asari draws close and affixes the taller being with her stare.

"That's her."

"You mean that's V'nado?" she asks, though by the tone it seems she had been half expecting as much. "The one that sent out the job offer?"

Arms still crossed, Oliviar shoots another look at the dead woman, a mandible drooping in frown. "Shortest expedition ever."

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2014, 07:02:38 AM »
Yan, for all the apparent swagger and bravado he displayed, proves remarkably quick on the draw in a medical emergency, an underrated virtue held by most species and yet utterly essential in the life of a quarian. Stepping forward, the quarian's omnitool flares to life around his left hand, a muttered word beneath his breath activating some unknown protocol and forming a precision laser at the mouth of the haptic construct. With deliberate slices at the straps holding the breastplate together, the camouflaged plates are cast aside and her belts of pouches are set aside. Sliding aside for the doctor, Yan empties the asari's pouches before him, searching for anything remarkable.

Spoiler for Combat Challenge:
C2 vs C3 = Partial Success!

The breastplate is tossed aside, the careful craftsmanship of the soft felt interior utterly lost on the pavilion's current occupants.  Adilet is quick to move in, sliding the asari further towards the door, drawing her back from the retaining wall.  The tight bodysuit is all that covers her from the waist up now, and he's quick to start resuscitation efforts.

"Jesus," he curses after breathing into her lungs, "she's not that warm."

Yan's efforts are more immediately successful.  The pockets are plentiful, revealing a variety of items.  The mundane: a tube of lipstick, a broken lighter, a pack of Stygian Black cigarettes.  The interesting: a taxi ticket stub, marked for the Black Hole roughly an hour prior.  And, clenched in her hand, the intriguing:

Spoiler for Message in Hand:
Ordo Invicta II, Dock 18, 5 passengers.

~Colonel Julis Natalus

A date is on the slip as well, denoting a departure time of that very day, although further in towards the night.  What Yan cannot shake, however, is the possibility that he missed something.

Offline Devin Caulfield

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2014, 07:03:34 AM »
"You mean that's V'nado?" she asks, though by the tone it seems she had been half expecting as much. "The one that sent out the job offer?"

Arms still crossed, Oliviar shoots another look at the dead woman, a mandible drooping in frown. "Shortest expedition ever."

"So much for getting paid," Devin added.

Offline Redtracer7

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »

"That's her."

The reply is quick.  "The incoming message has asari diplomatic encryption.  I will copy, but decryption would be required.  This is illegal, Captain."

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »
Spoiler for Combat Challenge:
C2 vs C3 = Partial Success!

The breastplate is tossed aside, the careful craftsmanship of the soft felt interior utterly lost on the pavilion's current occupants.  Adilet is quick to move in, sliding the asari further towards the door, drawing her back from the retaining wall.  The tight bodysuit is all that covers her from the waist up now, and he's quick to start resuscitation efforts.

"Jesus," he curses after breathing into her lungs, "she's not that warm."

Yan's efforts are more immediately successful.  The pockets are plentiful, revealing a variety of items.  The mundane: a tube of lipstick, a broken lighter, a pack of Stygian Black cigarettes.  The interesting: a taxi ticket stub, marked for the Black Hole roughly an hour prior.  And, clenched in her hand, the intriguing:

Spoiler for Message in Hand:
Ordo Invicta II, Dock 18, 5 passengers.

~Colonel Julis Natalus

A date is on the slip as well, denoting a departure time of that very day, although further in towards the night.  What Yan cannot shake, however, is the possibility that he missed something.

Pocketing the slip with a deft movement, the rest of the asari's items are replaced swiftly enough before Yan tosses the belt of pouches across towards the turian woman. Rising smoothly, the quarian returns to the side of the dead or dying woman, Yan unsure which was precisely worse. "Check it out for yourself," he nods, kneeling behind V'nado's head and supporting it on one knee.

Offline Oliviar Valerius

• PBP Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »
Pocketing the slip with a deft movement, the rest of the asari's items are replaced swiftly enough before Yan tosses the belt of pouches across towards the turian woman. Rising smoothly, the quarian returns to the side of the dead or dying woman, Yan unsure which was precisely worse. "Check it out for yourself," he nods, kneeling behind V'nado's head and supporting it on who knee.

Catching it, the young turian twitches her mandibles a few times, before glancing down at belt, rummaging through the contents herself.