Author Topic: The End of MegaUpload and MegaVideo  (Read 5795 times)

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
The End of MegaUpload and MegaVideo
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:54:11 AM »
Well if you haven't heard, MegaVideo and MegaUpload have been taken offline. Megaupload Takedown

Now Anonymous is pissed, and they're retaliating Anonymous Retaliates

All thoughts and comments welcome
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:08:17 AM by JDog2pt0 »

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
Re: The End of MegaUpload and MegaVideo
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:16:21 AM »
WHAT THE gently-carress! That can't be legal... I mean the gently-carressing owners lived in New Zealand. This is one of the few times where I say GO GET THEM ANON!

Seriously. MegaVideo has been doing a great job deleting copyright stuff off their servers over the past little while. The site was the 13th most used for uploads for christ sakes, There is going to be Copyrighted stuff, and it is going to be from users. They can't take down the whole gently-carressing site because of their stupid reason.  If they are going to take down this stupid stuff, How long before they start going after Dropbox who is the third most popular upload and download site.

This news ticks me off. I loved MegaVideos infrastructure and how easy it was to just stream the video stuff from their servers instead of having to download it. On top of this, there are people who have literally spent their hard earned money on a MegaUpload/Video subscription just so they can use it as an external Cloud Backup. By taking down Megavideo, they not only have cost people money, but they have also just made sure that people lost their files too.

Seriously US Government, Get the gently-carress out of other Countries Business!

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:56 AM »
How the hell could this happen? How the gently-carress can the US shut down a site from New Zealand due to copyright?

Has SOPA passed without me noticing or something?

Keep calm and move along.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:43:22 AM »

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:05:25 AM »

Offline Savakka1

• Pro Quarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
And what was the headline for this in one of my local media's website:
"A popular pirate site was shut down."

Ignorance is gleaming everywhere. This is just bullexcrement.

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »
Hey guys, looks like they aren't giving up. Though I can't verify it as legit or not, MegaUpload has posted an IP link to their server. 

http://109.236.83.66

Not much on it other than a message.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
Hey guys, looks like they aren't giving up. Though I can't verify it as legit or not, MegaUpload has posted an IP link to their server. 

http://109.236.83.66

Not much on it other than a message.
Doesn't work... Anyways, the Servers were confiscated by the FBI (How the hell they were able to do that considering they were gently-carressing New Zealanders)

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Doesn't work... Anyways, the Servers were confiscated by the FBI (How the hell they were able to do that considering they were gently-carressing New Zealanders)

Might be swamped right now. Anyways, here's an article on their attempt to survive. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/megaupload-back-high-tech-whack-mole/story?id=15405292

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 01:14:19 AM »
NZ and the US might have a treaty concerning this.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 01:24:06 AM »
NZ and the US might have a treaty concerning this.
Actually, some of the site's servers were located in the US, which pretty much gave them all clear.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 01:36:10 AM »
Actually, some of the site's servers were located in the US, which pretty much gave them all clear.
They were? Well , they're (the owners) in deep then.
Toaster

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »
I'd like to throw my $0.02 in on this.

When I first heard about this I knee jerked a "That's gently-carressing bullexcrement" and cheered as Anon pulled their revenge stunt but as I've read more about it (including the published court files which thanks to my job before last I understand... mostly... ish) it looks like all is well and good with the world.

First off: The US did not arrest or otherwise directly interact with the people involved.  They have all been arrested by local governments pending extradition to the US.  Extradition they can appeal before they are brought here to face charges.

Second: There was a grand jury indictment before all this fun happened.  This is the right way to do things.  It means that they had to convince a jury (larger than the standard 12 jurors(16-23 by federal law)) to formally accuse the defendants of the crimes listed before action was taken.  I should note the US is the only common law territory in the world to still use grand juries to screen criminal indictments.

Third: The crimes listed are actually reasonable.  They are not little "your site allows users to host copyrighted content" accusations.  They stand accused of directly profiting from criminal copyright infringement, participating in criminal copyright infringement, and money laundering.  The evidence, from what I have read, is quite substantial and not in any way easy to dismiss.

All that being said they picked quite probably the worst day to actually do all this.

An additional note: Regarding the people complaining about what they've lost due to it going down: They're idiots.  First off: Learn to backup.  And don't say "But they were my backup!"  A backup is stored in at minimum 2 different places.  If that was the only place it was it wasn't a backup.  Second off: Maybe next time you won't pay a website that is well known for hosting large quantities of copyrighted material to store your excrement.  I mean that is just asking for trouble.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
Second off: Maybe next time you won't pay a website that is well known for hosting large quantities of copyrighted material to store your excrement.  I mean that is just asking for trouble.
Quoted for truth.
Toaster

Offline Tobbs

• The Space Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »
I'd like to throw my $0.02 in on this.

When I first heard about this I knee jerked a "That's gently-carressing bullexcrement" and cheered as Anon pulled their revenge stunt but as I've read more about it (including the published court files which thanks to my job before last I understand... mostly... ish) it looks like all is well and good with the world.

First off: The US did not arrest or otherwise directly interact with the people involved.  They have all been arrested by local governments pending extradition to the US.  Extradition they can appeal before they are brought here to face charges.

Second: There was a grand jury indictment before all this fun happened.  This is the right way to do things.  It means that they had to convince a jury (larger than the standard 12 jurors(16-23 by federal law)) to formally accuse the defendants of the crimes listed before action was taken.  I should note the US is the only common law territory in the world to still use grand juries to screen criminal indictments.

Third: The crimes listed are actually reasonable.  They are not little "your site allows users to host copyrighted content" accusations.  They stand accused of directly profiting from criminal copyright infringement, participating in criminal copyright infringement, and money laundering.  The evidence, from what I have read, is quite substantial and not in any way easy to dismiss.

All that being said they picked quite probably the worst day to actually do all this.

An additional note: Regarding the people complaining about what they've lost due to it going down: They're idiots.  First off: Learn to backup.  And don't say "But they were my backup!"  A backup is stored in at minimum 2 different places.  If that was the only place it was it wasn't a backup.  Second off: Maybe next time you won't pay a website that is well known for hosting large quantities of copyrighted material to store your excrement.  I mean that is just asking for trouble.
The Doctor saves the day again. I no longer see this as an outrage (not that it really effected me to begin with, I hadn't heard of these Mega sites before they were taken down).

Offline JDog2pt0

• JDog2pt0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:22 PM »
I had links in my Youtube videos to MegaUpload. Ah well, I started using "Box" formerly Box.com/Box.net sometime ago.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:33:05 AM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
You know, ever since this gently-carressing Megavideo incident its almost impossible to find any Anime sites with working links to videos...I am pretty much forced to going to the Fan Subbers to download it because I can't find any working streams... Its playing Havok with my Bandwidth cap considering Here in Canada pretty much the highest caps we have are from 80-120GBs.  I can't wait to see the bill at the end of the month (heres a hint: $3/GB over up to $50 then its $2GB) -.-