Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut Releases on June 26th  (Read 25599 times)

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut Releases on June 26th
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 03:31:11 AM »
There's also the fact that Earth was really the only naval battle you see, besides a brief glimpse at Palaven. If you read the Codex entries and listen to some of the banter, you learn that the various races have pretty much used every tactic they knew, but they all ended up being irrelevant because the Reapers just shrugged off the damage. The charging line of ships was really all they could do, as it allowed them to make use of the entire fleet's firepower, which was all that mattered with the Reapers.
If I'm not mistaken, there's some stuff outlawed in ME that could've helped...once past the shields.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, there's some stuff outlawed in ME that could've helped...once past the shields.
Holy Crap. I had forgotten, wasn't their an Ammo mod that ignored shields in ME1? Or am I mistaken?

Wait, yep they had those, they should have used them.

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Sword Arm of the forum Staff
  • Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 03:46:05 AM »

Nuclear weapons? Considering dreadnought mass accelerators hit with the force of atomic bombs I don't think they can help here. Also, how would the ships launch them, they're configured to fire mass accelerator weapons, and thats what they train to do, it would take ages to just implement a new weapon system in the fleet and standardize it across potentially 7 or 8 different fleets.
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 03:50:45 AM »
Holy Crap. I had forgotten, wasn't their an Ammo mod that ignored shields in ME1? Or am I mistaken?

Wait, yep they had those, they should have used them.

I think I know what you're talking about, and that mod didn't ignore shields, it just made it easier to punch through them. Besides, those were for small arms, and its more complicated than you think to adapt them for big guns. Also remember that until the invasion itself happened, not a lot of people took Shepard seriously, and by then it was too late to modify the big guns or prepare in any other way.

Also know that they wouldn't have had a large stockpile of "outlawed" WMD's, as that would've defeated the purpose of having them outlawed. There were mentions of nuclear weapons used, but that was mainly by Cerberus though. Aria mentioned that the mercs would've used outlawed weapons, so its possible there were battles we didn't see that involved said outlawed weapons.

Either way, the issue wasn't weaponry, it was lack of preparation. The various races did so bad because the Reapers took them by complete surprise, and overran them before they could organize and regroup. You could have the most badass firepower out there, but if you're not even prepared and completely ignorant of the threat, it won't do you any good.
I'm back people...

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
I think I know what you're talking about, and that mod didn't ignore shields, it just made it easier to punch through them. Besides, those were for small arms, and its more complicated than you think to adapt them for big guns. Also remember that until the invasion itself happened, not a lot of people took Shepard seriously, and by then it was too late to modify the big guns or prepare in any other way.

Also know that they wouldn't have had a large stockpile of "outlawed" WMD's, as that would've defeated the purpose of having them outlawed. There were mentions of nuclear weapons used, but that was mainly by Cerberus though. Aria mentioned that the mercs would've used outlawed weapons, so its possible there were battles we didn't see that involved said outlawed weapons.

Either way, the issue wasn't weaponry, it was lack of preparation. The various races did so bad because the Reapers took them by complete surprise, and overran them before they could organize and regroup. You could have the most badass firepower out there, but if you're not even prepared and completely ignorant of the threat, it won't do you any good.
Anyways, I read up on it and it does bypass shields, a Percentage of the damage hurts the person directly ignoring shielding. up to 55% at a cost of less damage compared to physical rounds. But it DID ignore shields, but yes it would be difficult for larger weapons, and they weren't prepared anyways.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 04:31:55 AM »
Nuclear weapons? Considering dreadnought mass accelerators hit with the force of atomic bombs I don't think they can help here. Also, how would the ships launch them, they're configured to fire mass accelerator weapons, and thats what they train to do, it would take ages to just implement a new weapon system in the fleet and standardize it across potentially 7 or 8 different fleets.
I was alluding to antimatter weapons. I think I red something about them in one of the codex entries.

Or I'm grossly mistaken...
Toaster

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
Anyways, I read up on it and it does bypass shields, a Percentage of the damage hurts the person directly ignoring shielding. up to 55% at a cost of less damage compared to physical rounds. But it DID ignore shields, but yes it would be difficult for larger weapons, and they weren't prepared anyways.
Not to mention that I'm certain that they'd add to the bulk of each weapon considerably. Bear in mind that (at least it seems that way) most ships are planned to have such and such weapons without too much wiggle room, at least for the humongous stuff Cruisers/Destroyers/Dreadnoughts use. The main guns run the length of the ship!
Toaster

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:35 AM »
I was alluding to antimatter weapons. I think I red something about them in one of the codex entries.

Or I'm grossly mistaken...

even still, the amount of time it would take to implement those weapons would be enormous

First, you've got to replace the existing weaponry on the ships with new guns capable of shooting those weapons, then you've got to train the gunnery officers and crew to fire them, re-calibrate the fire control for the new weapons, and re-configure the ship board VI's to handle the weapons and train the fleets in their proper use and develop tactics for the weapons delivery 

it would just take too much time and resources
...scum.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2012, 04:47:43 AM »
even still, the amount of time it would take to implement those weapons would be enormous

First, you've got to replace the existing weaponry on the ships with new guns capable of shooting those weapons, then you've got to train the gunnery officers and crew to fire them, re-calibrate the fire control for the new weapons, and re-configure the ship board VI's to handle the weapons and train the fleets in their proper use and develop tactics for the weapons delivery 

it would just take too much time and resources
To adapt on the fly, yes. It'd take too much time they didn't have.

If it were anything like in 40k, I'd think a lot of officers would be shot for gross incopetence.

Eh, well. Story's over. Nothing new to see from now on...
Toaster

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »
In his defense there's not actually that much you can do with naval tactics in the ME universe, and I wouldn't expect BW to be well versed in the particulars of naval warfare. We've been repeatedly told the reapers don't fight like other species, and that most conventional tactics don't work against them. Jutland is really your only answer here.

Well off the top of my head... I would say that just using some of the tactics already mentioned in the freak'n Codex might have helped. Such as making short range jumps inside the Reaper's gun ranges and using superior maneuverability, called targets with concentrated fire... also ships actually USING those thanix canons that every single race is mentioned having...

Not to mention the bit where the planet Earth should have basically been a glassed wasteland after that first volley assuming even 5% of the shots missed. Made all the more egregious by the fact that they had the NPC in the previous game that pointed out how 'you always hit something' when firing a mass accelerator.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Not to mention the bit where the planet Earth should have basically been a glassed wasteland after that first volley assuming even 5% of the shots missed. Made all the more egregious by the fact that they had the NPC in the previous game that pointed out how 'you always hit something' when firing a mass accelerator.
Gotta lower those figures a bit, we have to also assume that part of the missed rounds will hit water and also that Earth's other side simply wouldn't be hit.

But yes, the possibility of quite a number of rounds hitting ground still exists.
Toaster

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2012, 02:01:58 AM »
Gotta lower those figures a bit, we have to also assume that part of the missed rounds will hit water and also that Earth's other side simply wouldn't be hit.

But yes, the possibility of quite a number of rounds hitting ground still exists.

Wouldn't really matter where they hit, the result would be largely the same. Multiple impacts on that scale? Would be apocalyptic. 5% just seemed like a fairly reasonable number considering the amount of shots you see slipping past in the cinematic and you've got what has to be hundreds of ships firing.

Of course it also gives rise to the issue of why *can't* you nuke the Reapers? By the standards of Mass Effect technology hydrogen bombs are pitifully simple to make by comparison. In the 'Deadliest Son of a Bitch In Space' dialogue the drill sergeant mentions that the main gun of the Everest dreadnought possesses a yield roughly equal to three times that of the 'Little Boy' used during World War 2.

A single trident II missile as exists today that would launch from a nuclear submarine is capable of a yield of more than eighty times that explosive force.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:14 AM »
Wouldn't really matter where they hit, the result would be largely the same. Multiple impacts on that scale? Would be apocalyptic. 5% just seemed like a fairly reasonable number considering the amount of shots you see slipping past in the cinematic and you've got what has to be hundreds of ships firing.

Of course it also gives rise to the issue of why *can't* you nuke the Reapers? By the standards of Mass Effect technology hydrogen bombs are pitifully simple to make by comparison. In the 'Deadliest Son of a Bitch In Space' dialogue the drill sergeant mentions that the main gun of the Everest dreadnought possesses a yield roughly equal to three times that of the 'Little Boy' used during World War 2.

A single trident II missile as exists today that would launch from a nuclear submarine is capable of a yield of more than eighty times that explosive force.

A nuclear weapon is not as effective in space as it is within a planetary atmoshpere. If you detonate a nuke in space, you only get a very hot fireball for a few short seconds, plus EMP but the Reapers would very likely be hardened against EMP so it'd still be useless. A nuclear strike on the ground might prove effective, but you'd end up vaporizing your own forces and civilians right along with the Reaper, and the nuclear blast would cause more casualties then the Reaper itself. So really nuclear or antimatter weapons would prove quite unuseable during the Reaper war, unless the planet being attacked was already lost and you had nothing to lose during said battle. Even then you'd just be accelerating your own extinction, as even with a colony lost there'd still be thousands or millions of colonists left, and most of them would die in the blasts or fallout.
I'm back people...

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2012, 04:41:58 AM »
You don't get a 'blast wave' as there is no air, etc to interact with, true Instead you just get the massive release of pure radiation and heat (somewhere around 3x hotter than our own sun at point of detonation if I recall correctly). Which you wouldn't think kinetic barriers would be too hot against consider they don't stop the lasers mounted on ships in ME. By all rights a nuke that actually detonated right next to a Reaper should ruin its day.

Offline SirEmilCrane

• Global Moderator
  • We're watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
Had the fleets of the galaxy had the time to prepare nuking them would be a great strategy, but they didn't exactly have the time.
...scum.

Offline Grif101

• Monarchist Canuck
    • PostalGRIFF101
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2012, 06:15:29 AM »
Had the fleets of the galaxy had the time to prepare nuking them would be a great strategy, but they didn't exactly have the time.

Which brings us back to our original conclusion: The various races and fleets did poorly because they didn't prepare and were taken by surprise.
I'm back people...

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »

How do you figure that exactly? We're talking about a universe where a tiny holographic computer on your arm can manufacture tiny guided missiles with incendiary payloads. They spend an unknown amount of time building the Crucible (I'd assume start to finish ME3 spans a few months)... why exactly can they not manufacture nukes in this time?

Not to mention the krogan DO have a stockpile of WMDs, which is how the 'Miracle at Palaven' happened.

All in all the entire thing just vexes me because it's sheer laziness on the part of the writing. It specifically points out how the Reapers took out missile silos for nukes when they hit Earth, yet in the months afterwards no one ever thinks to make more? And it's not like there are no facilities available considering Sur'Kesh was never even attacked.

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 07:18:32 AM »
God Damn I let the Whiners get the best of me. The ending wasn't that bad, with the Extended cut of course. I was disappointed at the endings being imperfect all in all, with no You saved a bit of everyone ending and shepard still lives.

All in all it wasn't that bad now that I got to experience it.

Probably will read FF to fill the void or see others takes on it.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
Whiners
To each their own.

I see things differently.

Firstly, this extended cut shouldn't have been a free DLC at all. It should've been the ending presented in the base game.

Secondly, it shouldn't be a question of "not that bad". It should be "it's just right". Buying something you consider subpar and then saying "it's not that bad" without voicing your opinion even once only serves to perpetuate the never ending flux of crappy games that come out these days.

Thirdly, this Extended Cut still doesn't deal with the fact that they pulled an egregious piece of space magic out of their asses at the last minutes. In the conclusion of a trilogy, not simply just one game.

And finally, their "it's our artistic vision" attitude through the whole affair. I'm not inclined to give my money to a game developer that is always perched on a high horse.
Probably will read FF to fill the void or see others takes on it.
There's been scant few FFs these days. At least from the guys I subscribed to.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:02:52 PM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline LordNecross

• The Pariah
    • SenHai
    • Sen Hai
    • SenHai
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
To each their own.

I see things differently.

Firstly, this extended cut shouldn't have been a free DLC at all. It should've been the ending presented in the base game.

Secondly, it shouldn't be a question of "not that bad". It should be "it's just right". Buying something you consider subpar and then saying "it's not that bad" without voicing your opinion even once only serves to perpetuate the never ending flux of crappy games that come out these days.

Thirdly, this Extended Cut still doesn't deal with the fact that they pulled an egregious piece of space magic out of their asses at the last minutes. In the conclusion of a trilogy, not simply just one game.

And finally, their "it's our artistic vision" attitude through the whole affair. I'm not inclined to give my money to a game developer that is always perched on a high horse.There's been scant few FFs these days. At least from the guys I subscribed to.
Yeah but you are reasonable, some people are getting way overboard on the affair.  Now that I have finished the game, I am actually able to leave the series on a semi-good note.

I mean, I killed all the geth and EDI, cause I chose the "Red Explosion" Ending, but I found it satisfactory.

Before the Free DLC I can see why it was an unacceptable pile of crap. But yes on principle it should have been that way the first time around. And on top of that the fact they lied about how to get the perfect ending, that before the free DLC it was impossible without multiplayer.

I mostly meant people who were still flipping about the extended cut. I did not feel disappointed after the new DLC.

Does it mean I want to buy from them? Not really. It all depends. I am kinda wondering if EA is gonna want to rape the series, like Microsoft did with Halo.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
Quote from: LordNecross link=topic=417.msg22560#msg22560
I am kinda wondering if EA is gonna want to rape the series, like Microsoft did with Halo.
Seeing as they decided to monetize ME3 further with some sort of TCG thing ( random unlocks that you can buy with real money) I wouldn't put it past them.

ME3 went from being a turd to something more like a dud, IMO. And two duds in a row (i'm including DA2 here) is a bit too much for me...
Toaster

Offline wisekill1

• Random penguins are cool!
    • wisekill1
    • wisekill1
    • wisseify
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn'd be bothered to make a new topic.  :P

If there is anyone still unhappy about the endings some fans made a "Happy ending mod" it skips all of the god child scenes and adds new fan made cinematics, the youtube video looks promising but I didn't want to watch it until the end because of spoilers. (Yeah I know, spoilers for a fan made ending mod.)

Here is the link to the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU7XJdaz08I&fmt=22

BSN topic:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/14795358/1

Download link:
http://social.bioware.com/project/8587/#files

Don't ask me how to install in because I'm still downloading and have no clue.
Boo!

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn'd be bothered to make a new topic.  :P

If there is anyone still unhappy about the endings some fans made a "Happy ending mod" it skips all of the god child scenes and adds new fan made cinematics, the youtube video looks promising but I didn't want to watch it until the end because of spoilers. (Yeah I know, spoilers for a fan made ending mod.)

BSN topic:

Download link:

Well... It might be time to start a second playthrough then.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:18:22 PM by PMorgan18 »

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
Does it mean I want to buy from them? Not really. It all depends. I am kinda wondering if EA is gonna want to rape the series, like Microsoft did with Halo.
Its not rape if they continue to innovate the series/story.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »

BSN topic:

Download link:

Youtube is my friend!
Toaster