Author Topic: System Build  (Read 9861 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
System Build
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »
What's this?  A post by The Doctor?!  THIS IS MADNESS!

It is also the second time writing this because like the derp that I am I did not copy pasta before hitting preview and my browser ate it.  Stupid browser.

So I'm building a new desktop system and decided that I should use this forum that I admin and some people still occasionally use and post unboxing and build stuff on the off chance any of you care.  So here it is.  Today we have just the unboxing of the monitors as that is all that has arrived so far.  The rest is due in tomorrow and I'll be getting on the posting of that ASAP once I can.

The typical brown box dell packaging, all business here.  Opening things up reveals that they went with all cardboard packaging this time instead of the usual Styrofoam inside.  No horrible squeaking noises and avoiding the inevitable pieces breaking off gets a thumbs up from me.  You can reach all the accessories at this point and I pulled them out now to avoid any issues with them catching or getting in the way pulling the screen out.  Yes that is two more boxes in the background, I already unboxed those and hooked them to my laptop to use until everything arrives.

Getting it out of the box is a little bit of a pain.  I had to stand on the box flap and use both hands to slowly pull it out.  Once out though you can see the level of protection Dell went to on the screens.  Nicely protected on all sides.  Pulling off the cardboard is a simple matter leaving the screen and stand wrapped in a layer of foam wrap for extra padding and scratch protection.

Box contents!  You can see here the additional layer of foam taped to the front of the screen for one last line of protection on the most important part.  Also (almost) all of the accessories.  You get the usual manual and CD combo which I tossed to the side and ignored, a VGA cable, DVI cable, power cable and (unpictured) USB cable.

Couple of shots of the stand and back of the screen plus fully assembled.  Assembly is as simple as slotting the tabs on the top of the stand into the back of the screen and tilting it down until it locks into place with a nice snap.  Nice build quality as expected from Dell.  You can see how well my camera picks up dust that has gathered in the 5 minutes from unwrap to this shot.  I didn't notice until I reviewed the photos and still don't see anything on the screens themselves so I think that's just my camera not a property of the plastic or anything.

All the ports available, on the side we have 2 of the internal hubs 4 USB ports, on the bottom of the screen (rotated into portrait for the second shot) we have in order power input, power out for Dells attached speaker bars you can buy, displayport, DVI, VGA, USB input from the computer, and the remaining two USB ports from the hub.

Screen in portrait from the front and a few shots of my temporary laptop setup.  The laptop will only drive 2 screens at once or I would have hooked up the third.  You can see in these how nice and shiny the Dell logo is.  Looks good and isn't distracting but I hadn't noticed at first.  According to Lightroom the screen clocks in exactly at 6000k out of the box exactly how I like it.

Here you can see the only issue I've had thus far.  When rotating between portrait and landscape you have to tilt the screen up, if you don't the back silver will scrape the base and leave a mark.  It seems the scrub off alright, the second photo was after a brief scrubbing with water and a paper towel.  My camera refused to actually focus on it and I had to put it in full manual so I should be able to get the last of it off easy enough but it is still a little annoying.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:10:50 AM by The Doctor »
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
Re: System Build
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:25 AM »
Round 2 of unboxing!  The goodies!  First up group shot!

Component list:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400
Graphics: MSI GTX 780 (this is a reference model, no OC, no special heat sink)
PSU: Corsair AX860i

Not pictured:
Storage: 3x Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache drives.  These have been sitting in a corner of my apartment for literally 6 months waiting for a purpose.

Unboxing the 650D, I promise this is the largest chunk of images in this post.  I wanted to give everyone a good look at the case without anything added to it, but the rest of the components we will get plenty of look during install I'm sure.  Opening up the box reveals our favorite Styrofoam packing with it's squeaking (it did) and making a mess (not as much but it's only a matter of time).  Corsair also wrapped the case in a nice black cover for additional protection.  Overall it survived well despite the gash in the box I blame FedEx for.

The top of the case features a large fan grill with a 200mm fan mounted and mountings for 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans.  It will also accept a 240 or 280mm radiator here for water cooling though I have heard that not all 240mm radiators will fit.  Also up top we have that little bay with is a hot swap 3.5/2.5 inch sata port and also contains a three position switch fan controller.  Looking inside it appears to support 4 fans, conveniently the number of fans you can fit in the case.

On the front we have a very nice brushed metal plate with 4x 5.25 inch drive bays and our front panel inputs hidden behind a plate at the top.  Beside that plate is the power switch and activity light, underneath is found 2x USB 3.0 ports, microphone and headphone ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire port, and the reset button.  Down at the bottom is the intake for the system, which pops out with a quick press so you can clean the fan filter easily enough.

Around back we find a 120mm fan, two grommeted ports for running water cooling tubes, the power supply opening, and 8 slots for your various graphics cards and expansions.  Unpictured is the underside fan filer which covers the PSU intake should you mount it with the intake facing down.

The main side view it taken up primarily by a nice large window with no fans to obstruct the view.  The window is also cut off just before the drive bays would become visible.  The lack of an intake here however means this case is decidedly negative pressure in stock configuration with only a single 200mm intake up front while a 200mm top fan, 120mm back fan, and possibly your PSU fan drawing air out.  I would much prefer a positive presure setup to reduce dust, but I have plans there.

Inside we can see that the black finish continues from the exterior with every single piece of this case being painted black entirely.  Even the screws are black.  This is the extra's you get for your money.  We can also see the numerous grommets for running cabling being the motherboard tray where there Corsair has given us ample room to fit everything we could want.  Both of the 3.5 inch drive bays are removable.  The upper one can be remounted on the bottom of the case should you desire.  The drives in this case mount with the sata and power connections facing the rear to easily hide the cabling.

From the rear side we can see the generous room for running cables behind the board.  There is also a nice opening for accessing the back of the motherboard to mount heat sink backings if necessary.  Again, even this which will never be seen in a completed case is completely painted to match the rest of the case all the way down to the screws and rivets.

For now I'll likely just mount the drives and be done with it.  I plan to water cool eventually and when I do I'll move the drives down to the bottom of the case and remove the second tray so that I can fit a 200mm radiator in front.  I also plan on a 240mm radiator up top, or a 280mm if I can find one that fits well.  At the time I'll also likely buy a magnetic fan filter and have the fear 120mm as an intake and I may do that early.  I would much prefer to have a positive pressure setup to keep out the dust.  PSU will be mounted intake down, no need to exacerbate the case pressure situation.

Nicely packaged on the outside, back shows the highlights of this board.  Opening the lid we find the nicely packages motherboard which we'll see more closely on the install.  Lifting the board out reveals the various accessories.  They could have done a little better on the packaging here.  Nothing too fragile but you can see it exactly as I found it.  I've become used to a little higher standard.  overall we have a pair of user guides, driver disc, what looks to be a guide around the board, our back plane and a SLI cable, 4x sata cables, headers for case hookups, a couple of power monitoring connectors, a door hanger (lulz) and the largest case badge I've ever seen.  Not too shabby.  Notably absent is the mounting hardware and standoffs, but that came packaged with the case so no hold ups there.

Next up we have our PSU.  Picked to provide me with all the power I need as well as a bit of headroom for overclocking and for it's incredible efficiency and stability.  I don't have the tools to confirm it but the reviews I read clock it at up to 93% efficient at peak with a mere 0.12% variance on the 12v rail at 110% load.  That's good enough for me.  Corsair went all out with the packaging here and it's frankly a little overboard I think.  While the felt bag for the PSU is nice I can't help but wonder what I'm supposed to do with it after I've installed it.  Our second bag provided contains all the cables we could want as this is a modular PSU.  I didn't bother figuring them all out yet, maybe later.

Memory.  Not much to say here.  It's well packaged.  it's pretty.  It's fast.  What more do you want?

This ones staying in it's case until install.  Nothing exciting to see here anyway.  i7-4770k chosen because I can and what more reason do you really need?

Finally!  The piece de resistance: The GTX 780!  Yeah yeah, I know.  Not a Titan.  This guy still counts as the most expensive single component and is only outdone by all three monitors combined.  The packaging is clean and tidy but there isn't much to see here.  A couple of adapters, user guide, and driver disc is all that is to be found hiding.

Final notes:

I know someone is going to comment on the lack of an SSD.  I'm waiting for the right one(s) at the right price.  I need at least 1TB for my main drive and I didn't want to drop another $800~ on this right now, so as soon as I see a good deal I'm going to snap some up and get them in here.  Until then, I will have to live on hard drives.  Fortunately I haven't personally experienced the glory of SSD so I'm not going to be missing it.  Also while I only have a single 780 here I suspect it won't drive all of my games across all three screens as well as I would like so I'm betting there will be a second on route to me soon enough to SLI up.

Now I go to put the system together and document that.  We'll see if I get that done written and posted tonight.  I'm betting on... Maybe.  I'll probably write/edit it while the system installs. ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:26:00 AM by The Doctor »
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:33 AM »
Alright!  Build complete, so here is the report:

I decided to start with the hard drives, I'm installing all three and connecting them but will probably make one the root and ignore the other two for now.  3TB is more than enough for the time being and I want them to be easily setup to raid later.  Installing the HDD's is a tooless afair:  Pull out the drive holder, stick the pins in one side, bend the holder and snap in the other.  Then just slide the holder back into the bay.

Once all three were installed I moved onto the DVD which needed to be pulled from my old desktop system.  Unlike the 650D my old case required a screwdriver here.  My RC desk was uncooperative in my quest to find one at first... Once pulled from the old system installation was again toolless, reach through the case, pop the front plate out, slide drive in, pull up plastic tab to lock drive in place.  There are screw slots if you want to use them but I didn't bother.  (Yes I am aware there is a screwdriver in picture of the RC desk, picture was after I stopped searching ;) )

Next up was the motherboard and we get our first good look at it here.  I took some "artsy" shots of it for fun and mostly discovered once again how my camera will pick up every single spec of dust in sight.  First world SLR problems.  Regardless once installed into the case it looked good.  The board did refuse to pop into the case until the caps on the onboard DVI, HDMI and VGA were pulled.  However the case made installation a breeze.  The center standoff isn't actually a stadoff at all but a standoff with a pin to hold the board in position while you screw it down on the outside points.  No motherboard install I have ever performed was this easy.  They all had fitting issues and required shifting and shoving to get everything in place.  Not so here.  Finally I pulled the little sata warning off because I have no intention of using the mSATA for SSDs.  When you do it disables port 6 on the board.

After the motherboard came the CPU.  First shot of our chip and it's cooler.  I'm running the stock cooler for now which I'm sure I will regret when I upgrade and have to get that excrementty thermal crap off.  But oh well I never learn.  CPU installation is when of the few things I actually read through instructions before doing since I upgrade so rarely there's always a new mounting method for something somewhere.  Had a lulz momment reading.  FCA 15 part B huh?  Not for me!  *cackle*

After the proc was in I moved to the ram, nice shot of it out of it's packaging, and then into the case.  snap 1 snap 2 and done.  Aparently 2 dimms means slot 2 and 4 for the dual link.  I would have expected 1 and 3, but what do I know.

Next comes the power supply.  Out of it's packaging this thing is niiice.  The grey fits in well but is slightly diferent from the case black.  Got smoe heft to it as well.  Putting the PSU in was the only place I encountered anything less the awesome with the case.  There is a little metal piece you can brace the PSU with.  I'm honestly not sure why it was more than secure without it even before being screwed down but it was there so I used it.  THe back screw just did not want to go in.  I ended up just cranking it in and cutting the threads for it myself just enough to get it to look normal but it didn't want to.  Funny thing was every other hole it went in fine, just the one I needed failed.

The game our wonderful GTX 780.  It's gloriousness popped in without a hitch and away I went.  Pulling the rear covers off was easy enough with the thumbscrews though they did require a screwdriver to remove.  I've never quite understood thumbscrews tightend down so far you can't pull them by hand but hey. 

Now that all the componnents were in I ran the power cables, and then all the various front panel cables and finally the sata etc cables.  I didn't take a picture of the back because once I got that back panel on I wasn't taking it back off.  A few front panel items aren't hooked up.  The USB 3.0 ports are regular USB 3.0 plugs for the case not a mobo connector, so I would have to run them out the back of the case and plug in there to connect them.  Sounds ugly to me.  This board doesn't appear to have a firewire onboard but then I've never used firewire outside of work so I really don't care.  For the Sata I hooked the drives to 3, 4, and 5, the DVD drive to 6, and finally the top hot swap to 7.  1 & 2 are reserved for the SSDs when I get them and that leaves me port 8 for... something.  I guess.

Final Notes: It appears that I need a bigger desk.  The whole setup barely fits with no room for my laptop and I have to shove the system over to the far side where it's hidden and all my effort to run clean cabling is useless.  Also fitting everything in that back plane is a bit of a pain and as it is it bulges a tiny bit.  That being said it is the first case I've had where fitting everything back there was even conceivable and the main issue with the back is the inflexibility of my power cables.  Since buying individually braided cables is on my todo list that issue should solve itself.  I've only just now got the main desktop drivers etc installed and that looks good but I can't speak to performance etc yet.  That's what the last post is reserved for.

P.S: I lied, I can speak slightly to performance, 37k 3dmarks without any tweaking and I'm 99% sure the ram is running way below clocks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:28:59 AM by The Doctor »
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:41 AM »
Reserved.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline True Evangelion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
IPS monitors I assume? I just sent in my GPU for an RMA. I built the computer it's from. I would like to upgrade it, but I gotta earn more money for other things, like guns and a car.

Offline PMorgan18

• Mad Scientist Extraordinaire
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/PMorgan18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:58:10 AM »
The Doctor is building a computer the same time I am?

It looks like you have more money that you can spend on it than I can.  I do like your choice in laptops though. 

Leave you nothing left to hold
When you're nothing it's a good time to remind you of one thing
The pursuit begins when this portrayal of life, ends

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »
IPS monitors I assume? I just sent in my GPU for an RMA. I built the computer it's from. I would like to upgrade it, but I gotta earn more money for other things, like guns and a car.

Yup IPS.  Dell Ultrasharp u2412m to be specific.  The ultrasharps have the best color I've ever seen in a monitor and they have the lowest input lag of any IPS screen I've seen as well.  They are rated at 8ms, many places call it 5ms, it's overall lag clocks in at an average 9.4ms and max of 20ms.  Overall lag being the TFT signal processing portion and then the pixels themselves.  Things like the Asus VG278HE which is advertised as a 2ms screen clocks in at 10.4ms average overall lag so it's pretty spiffy for an IPS.  Those do have a pixel response time of about 2ms but I personally think overall output to display is more important.

The Doctor is building a computer the same time I am?

It looks like you have more money that you can spend on it than I can.  I do like your choice in laptops though. 

Yarr.  I was making bank working 80ish hour weeks 25-50% of the time but had no time to spend it or do much of anything else, now I'm not making nearly as much bank but more than enough to cover all the bills and have time to spend it and enjoy the fruits of my labors.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »
T_T.

I can't even buy one Dell IPS monitor without being outrageuosly fleeced out of my money, much less buy 3  monitors in real life.:P

T_T
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
T_T.

I can't even buy one Dell IPS monitor without being outrageuosly fleeced out of my money, much less buy 3  monitors in real life.:P

T_T

Then you shall likely wish to murder me once I get all the pictures and words words words posted for the next shipment. ;)
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
Then you shall likely wish to murder me once I get all the pictures and words words words posted for the next shipment. ;)
Yes, that is likely. Very, very likely. :P
Toaster

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
Everything else arrived today and was unboxed and has been posted above.  Or you can click here to get there faster: http://game-iv.com/index.php?topic=547.msg47131#msg47131
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:51 AM »
Everything else arrived today and was unboxed and has been posted above.  Or you can click here to get there faster: http://game-iv.com/index.php?topic=547.msg47131#msg47131
Everything is to drool for...except the case. It looks decidedly normal.
Toaster

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:34 AM »
Everything is to drool for...except the case. It looks decidedly normal.

It is very minimal and to the point, the drool worthy portions of it aren't to look at, but for building, huge backspacing, tons of drive options, radiator mounts, build quality.  I'm just taking a short break in the build now and I've only come across one issue with it and it's minor at worst.  Details will follow in the build notes of course but I'm used to hitting at least 4 or 5 snags/irritations by this point.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:24:31 AM »
It is very minimal and to the point, the drool worthy portions of it aren't to look at, but for building, huge backspacing, tons of drive options, radiator mounts, build quality.  I'm just taking a short break in the build now and I've only come across one issue with it and it's minor at worst.  Details will follow in the build notes of course but I'm used to hitting at least 4 or 5 snags/irritations by this point.
Lol, I can't say much beyond that. My case has been classified as fugly. :P

Spoiler for Hiden:

Toaster

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 02:54:32 AM »
Lol, I can't say much beyond that. My case has been classified as fugly. :P

Spoiler for Hiden:

Ha!  I've got an Antec 900 as my current/old!  Not exactly the prettiest thing around...
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »
I don't know anything about any of this stuff, but it does all look very shiny.
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 06:27:09 AM »
And the build is done and edited in above.  Quick link: http://game-iv.com/index.php?topic=547.msg47132#msg47132
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline FsDxRAGE

• If it looks good, eat it you moron.
    • FsDxRAGE
    • vSYNERGISMv
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
This is a monster build!  :sorcerer:

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »
3x3tb...I only have two 2tb caviar black drives... :(

Oh well, my priorities have kinda shifted at the moment. Renovating one's home and buying a car can be a drain.

When I build my next system it'll likely have the latest x80 something from nvidia. If I were building one right now it'd be the 780 too. Though I'll likely spring for a 32gb vengeance memory kit.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:53:10 PM by mikethor007 »
Toaster

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »

Offline Mukora

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Cuttly
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Mukora
    • DrMukora
    • View Profile
    • Decidedly Random
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »
So I assume you're going to hack the White House with that setup?
"Any food that involves cheese is just an excuse to eat cheese." -Hannah Hart

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
3x3tb...I only have two 2tb caviar black drives... :(

Oh well, my priorities have kinda shifted at the moment. Renovating one's home and buying a car can be a drain.

When I build my next system it'll likely have the latest x80 something from nvidia. If I were building one right now it'd be the 780 too. Though I'll likely spring for a 32gb vengeance memory kit.

I specifically chose the 2x8gb kit so I could expand to 32gb at the drop of the hat.  So far I don't see any real need for it but when that changes...  also I was very amused to find I gain 500 3dmarks just by clocking my ram up to its rated speed.

>:D

So I assume you're going to hack the White House with that setup?

Well.  I am running a matrix screensaver already...  but no, hacking about is for people who don't have 15 bajillion games to play.  And we all know you need 9 screens in a circle around a tenth to hack!  ;)

Also the post install report is coming but I want to have some good screenshots and info for you guys.  Probably Saturday or Sunday.  I have a very busy release day for tomorrow to concentrate on.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline Kikaimegami

• Machine Goddess
  • Administrator
  • リジョンマンセル
    • kikaimegami
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 03:26:30 AM »
Nice MTG playmats NERD

It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit
 It's a far cry from the way we thought we'd share it
 You can almost feel the current flowing
 You can almost see the circuits blowing

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »
Nice MTG playmats NERD

Hey!  I resemble that remark!
Forum Rules - Web IRC

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »