Author Topic: Minecraft Mod Loader  (Read 5341 times)

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
Minecraft Mod Loader
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
The original post can be found at the bottom in the spoiler tag,

With the release of Mass Effect 3 I haven't had the time really to work on this as I should of allotted.  Anyways,  Dev work is back in full swing again.  One thing I would like to see is the folks that are interested in this, to please register at my forums at http://forums.justminecraft.com/.  As I will be posting change logs and when updates are pushed out over there.  One thing I need is people to start testing it, IE actually using the program to get real world feedback and bug info, etc.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Welcome, this thread is more or less to bring everyone on to the same page for my 'project'.  As you all are aware the Game-IV minecraft server (the primary one) is heavily modded.  Some people don't want to mod their jar files, others have no fear of doing it and are just lazy.  What ever the reason, I've been nice enough to create installers for all of the mod files.  Anyways, Over the next few days I will be testing a new system.  Some of you may have used or heard of Minecrafter, my project is the same principle just done differently.

Each server/mod set is organized in to modpacks, these modpacks are an XML file containing all of the information of were to get each mod, order, and an md5 check sum to verify pre-installed mods against.  With the mod loader you give it an XML file, and it will perform the same thing as the installer... Just much better.  Now if there is an update for any of the mods, the modpack can be updated and once the client (mod loader) is configured it will allow the user to check for updates.  If there are updates it will grab them and install them for you.

Not only does it help with the update side of things, it can also minimize your overall download size.  Instead of downloading the main installer, and the inevitable conflict id hot fix (yes I know I still have to fix that), the web server is updated, and it trickles down to all of the clients and the clients only take the files they need.  Some additional features I've added are a world/save backup/restore and an entire minecraft backup/restore feature. 

Now even though it is in Alpha (at this point safe to say late alpha) I've also built in an updater for the application itself, this means when I release an update the mod loader will download it and install the update.  So you won't have to reinstall a million times before it hits its final version.

Now for some screen shots, please remember this is still alpha and the interface is always evolving (god I hate designing GUI's)

Main screen

Configuration Page

and the about page (with a working update button!)

Please remember, the interface is subject to change.

Any comments are appreciated, or if you want to get in on the testing phase of this post here.

amwdrizz
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:19:24 PM by amwdrizz »

Offline The Doctor

• Administrator
    • rdaruszka
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft Mod Loader
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
Interesting idea, personally I'll likely be modding my own jars from here on just as I've just been being lazy and really ought to do so.  For those that want I'll be posting the exact list of what and how to mod their jars to be server compatible as well.
Forum Rules - Web IRC

<CaptainJean-Luc> Doc: You have ruthlessly high standards.

His name was Marauder Shields.  Never forget his sacrifice.

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »
There will be an XML list for all the mods for the server that are used so you can grab from that.  The XML list will be kept up to date.

Anyways, anyone want to test a new program?

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:57 AM »
There will be an XML list for all the mods for the server that are used so you can grab from that.  The XML list will be kept up to date.

Anyways, anyone want to test a new program?
Does it allow me to use the jar launcher so I can allocate more memory for minecraft?
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:54 AM »
The way it works, when the program is first run it displays a configuration page.  At which point you either use the modpack I would provide or enter the details in manually.  Also on that configuration page you need to search for and use your current minecraft launcher from the minecraft.net site. 

After that is done, you would simply click "update mods" and it will make sure all the files are of the correct version and mod the jar file for you.  After that is done, you can alter the values in start and max memory.  If your satisfied with them you click run minecraft.  What this does is starts minecraft with the memory values you entered.  And you'd play normally from there.

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor007
    • mikethor009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:26:51 AM »
The way it works, when the program is first run it displays a configuration page.  At which point you either use the modpack I would provide or enter the details in manually.  Also on that configuration page you need to search for and use your current minecraft launcher from the minecraft.net site. 

After that is done, you would simply click "update mods" and it will make sure all the files are of the correct version and mod the jar file for you.  After that is done, you can alter the values in start and max memory.  If your satisfied with them you click run minecraft.  What this does is starts minecraft with the memory values you entered.  And you'd play normally from there.
Excellent! With more memory maybe Minecraft will start behaving better.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

"gently-carressing clouds, sometimes they evaporate."
Forum poster somewhere on the internet

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »
Excellent! With more memory maybe Minecraft will start behaving better.

I typically run at 2gb and 4gb respectively.

Offline killer rin

• Administrator
  • Unanian Innovation!
    • killerrin
    • Killerrin
    • killer rin
    • killerrin
    • View Profile
    • Killerrin Studios
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:06 PM »
You know this is the kind of thing you would expect Minecraft(or atleast Spoutcraft) to have built in.. Good idea!

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:27 AM »
Alright Folks some news for ya'll on this program.

Since I first posted here, I've renamed the program to Emerald.  It has grown in features since the last screen shot set I've posted as well.  As of right now, it should work with out an issue as long as you have .net Framework 3.5 or greater installed on your machine.  A note, this is still in a beta stage.  What you saw earlier was an alpha stage.  There will be bugs, I expect them but I cannot find them all if someone doesn't test it for me.

Current Feature Set
  • Manages Mods based on XML file given to the program
  • Launches Minecraft (With a variable RAM selection AND a Debugging option)
  • Has news feeds from Notch's Twitter, MCupdate.tumblr.com, Reddit/r/minecraft, and an update tumblr for the program itself
  • Hopefully an easy to use interface
  • Program Auto-updater.  If there is an update it available it will prompt you on launch to update.  (Note, The screen says the app will close if you don't update.  It just a text glitch atm, and you will be fine to not update unless required
  • Minecraft folder and Saves (worlds) Backup and restore.

Current version is 1.1.x build 1012.  Build numbers change and trigger updates.

On to the details of how it works,

Each server would have its own modpack (XML file) that contains all the various base mods required to play on said server.  If the server admin updates any mods all s/he has to do is update the remote XML file and the player would get those changes when the go to launch Minecraft again.

There are Two types of minecraft updates,  One is an auto verify on launch (only syncs soft files) and the other is a mod installer which performs minecraft.jar modifications.  The auto verify on launch is designed mainly to prevent the annoying conflict ID patch installers for everyone as what the remote xml file is; that is what you get.

In the near future expect some more changes to the program itself, and to a website I am in the process of setting up for what this program will deal with.

If you want to try this program you can download it here

Installation

Extract contents of zip archive to its own folder.

Thats it for the install.  If you use this program, please create an account here as that will be the home for the program and its surrounding community.  Any issues that arise please post a bug report there.  And I thank you for doing that.

Notes
It does required Elevated UAC access (IE run as administrator).  It will prompt you on launch for Admin access.  This is due to how windows handles programs access to the AppData directory under Windows Vista/7.  Windows XP this program needs to be run as an Administrator account.

Using And Configuring Emerald

After a successful launch (Be patient, it is checking for updates to the program) you will get a pop up saying missing and or invalid configuration, this is normal as nothing is configured yet.

The first thing you need to do is tell Emerald what mod pack it is using.

In the configuration tab (Wrench Image)
Click the left most browse Button and browse for your emerald directory.  You will see gameiv.xml.  Select that file and open it.

That should pre-populate the following fields Web server, Web server path, Mod pack (remote xml) file
If not enter the following values
Web Server -> http://mc.amwdrizz.com
Web Server Path -> gameiv
Mod Pack (remote xml) File -> updater.xml

Next step is to browse for your minecraft launcher. 

Click the top right most Browse button and locate either your Launcher in either exe or jar format.

And the second to final step of configuration is to locate your java bin directory

Click the next browse button (The one below the minecraft launcher browse button) and look for your java/jreX/bin directory (replace X with your java version installed).  Emerald *should* auto detect the correct java directory on some systems.  Typically it is found at the following locations

Code: [Select]
c:/program files/java/jre6/java/bin
Select the java.exe once you've found it and click open.  The last thing you need to do now is click Save.

Thats it emerald is configured and you won't have to touch it again unless you change mod packs or I broke a file in a future update.

At this point, If you've never been on the Game IV server before Click on the Left most Minecraft Block

On this screen locate the "Update Mods" button.  Click it and wait.  After some time it will ask you to run Minecraft and perform a force update.  Do so, as Emerald can only work with a clean jar file.  After you've forced updated continue with the mod installation (this part may take some time as it modifies your jar file for you).

Once done, You have two options.  You may enter your minecraft details in the provided boxes and click launch minecraft OR you can just click launch minecraft and the minecraft launcher will ask you for your details.  The first method passes your login details straight to the launcher which then is verified by the launcher.

Whew, that's a wall of Text.  For those of you testing the program, I congratulate you on making it this far.  Others that are still too shy to try it out, It looks like a lot of work but in reality is only a handful of mouse clicks and your done.

Offline amwdrizz

• View Profile
    • Me2legion Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
Thread bump, please re-read first post.   Thanks

Offline mikethor007

• Brewmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
    • KlausBR2008